dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

Beautiful shirt, fantastic design, the problem is this art supremacist is broke. dead broke.

Rawkfist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rawkfist
some1else wrote:This is artistic and grown up? This isn't cartoony? Woot, I don't think you get it... this is still a print of a *thing*.

I've bought a few shirts from you... most I end up layer only underneath something else or to sleep in on cold nights. So I'm getting pickier.

How about a shirt that actually displays some design? It doesn't have to be an animal, a wave, a flame, a divine being, a robot, etc. It could just be shapes, colors, lines. Something creative! Something artistic! Not "look how great an illustrator I am" artistic, but truly artistic. Something that people (like me) would be proud to wear openly.

Have you guys run a purely wide-open "Artistic" themed derby yet? It might be a good place to start -- though you should probably add a rule that you can't reference any existing art. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of starry night ripoffs.

Well said. I agree that woot needs to make something more abstract and not generic "art." I can't wait for derby that would display original abstract art.

Meh. I bought this shirt anyway cuz it's cool.

Wildboy

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Great print, Jimi! Nice to see you back!

broonum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broonum

I bought this shirt because I like it, and because I am part of the apparent minority to which cutesy shirts do not appeal.

But seriously woot, artistic does not have to mean based on a famous work of art.

abelleauc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abelleauc
thatrobert wrote:Jimiyo,
Stunning! In for one.
. . .
I have to comment on all the "unoriginal" posts. It is obvious where his inspiration came from but that doesn't diminish the fact that he made it totally his own and made it work better on a shirt than the inspirational source would have.

thatrobert has hit it on the head. I can't say I was familiar with Jimiyo's inspiration until I followed the posted link, but when I did I was even more impressed with his interpretation. This is beautiful AND original.

ilikethebike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilikethebike

Lovely design. Alas, it's printed on a hideous asphalt shirt. I suppose 'serious' shirts have to be printed on boring colors.

undertow976

quality posts: 6 Private Messages undertow976

If this had a bunny in a Mario costume surfing with Sonic, I would buy it. ahuhu

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
ryanrchurchill wrote:It's only McART. Don't forget the prize inside, and what kind of sauce do you want with your nuggets?

Originality has gone the way of the Dodo (for those of you old enough to remember the Dodo).

Notsomuch. I would have bought the original.

I'd like a shirt with a dodo.

Just thought I'd throw out that random comment.

anonymousjulie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anonymousjulie

I like the shirt... but I have a similar wave-one that kinda involved a woman. Know what? I'd buy this one, too, but I have developed a preference for dark shirts that don't have huge blocks of graphics... the fabric feels like it's half plastic because of all the ink.

In general on shirt.woots lately, I'm bummed by the use of halftone-style printing... it has its place and can be used well, but more often it doesn't add anything, just removes a level of challenge in being clever about graphic expression.

cezanne2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cezanne2000

First Post. First Shirt.
This is a well-executed design that compliments the color of the actual t-shirt. If all you wear is black or grey, this is your chance to add color to your wardrobe.
You will get comments like: "isn't that the famous wave art?" for which you'll reply; "you mean The Breaking Wave Off Kanagawa, by the Japanese Woodcut artist, Katsushika Hokusai? No it isn't, but I like that print also".
Wearing this shirt will make you feel smarter.

LennyCarlson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LennyCarlson

"That high over Fuji in an earthcolored sky the fingers
Will not fall; and the blue men
Lean on the sea like snow, and the wave like a mountain leans
Against the sky."

So I guess all the poor fishermen died. :/

rabidfangirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabidfangirl

aesthetically pleasing, but not something i want on my chest. for that, i need dice-atoms and lizards in my vest pocket.

also, not original at all please.

& today was a day just like any other.

martirs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martirs

This is not the typical "Japanese wave art". The waves are more stylized, a step away from the usual fractal pattern seen so often. Great job, I like the similarities between the mountain top and the waves.

JagoMidnight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JagoMidnight

i'm all down for the adult artistic shirts, not this one though,.but this is a nice change

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

Yay Jimi! Love the design, but I'm broke and unemployed so can't be buying. Hopefully I'll get a job before all the shirts i like get reckoned.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
AdderXYU wrote:One of the smartest things Joe's ever said.

You can work the ridicule card all you want, woot, but the fact is that people who go for non-cutesy shirts are more selective. So of course they're never going to sell out as often. Cutesy buyers have no concept of taste, and will therefore buy anything with a little cute in it. We need something that fits us before we'll go in.

I suppose it all depends on whether you care more about the shirts or the money. But we already know that answer, so don't let us cause you to rack your minds.

AMEN!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy

Congrats, Jimi!!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:Oh Hai Super! It's been a long while since I've seen you internetly.

Hope you are doing well in Japan. I bet the Japanese love you out there.

Thankee. Yes, Japan is lovely, and fun. Not sure if they love *me* but they seem to like me well enough. ^_~

And I've been around here, just not posting as much.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

Awesome design. My wife and I are both huge fans of the Great Wave print, and this is a great homage to it.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Beautiful, jimiyo. I'm tempted to get one, but man, I look awful in asphalt. But maybe I would look good in jimi? Hmm...

lilymaiden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilymaiden

It's very pretty. It would look great on my wall. I'm really not a fan of the complicated design on a T-shirt, however. Maybe if it was a fabric print, and not just a really big picture.

(Seriously, that minority of people who want the Mona Lisa on their T-shirts? Probably shouldn't be wearing T-shirts. If you want sophisticated, wear grown-up clothes.)

EinnaFK

quality posts: 8 Private Messages EinnaFK

I think this is a beautiful design. Very well done and it looks great on a shirt, so kudos to those who like to wear pretty shirts.

I'm personally not a fan of "pretty things" that hold no meaning or humor for me. I don't buy cute shirts, I buy shirts that I like to wear because when I look at them I chuckle.

I will wear an artsy shirt now and then, if it has some sort of easily noticed meaning behind it. Battle Fungale by Drakxxx was one of my recent buys and I adore it. Yes, I know it's a video game reference, but... it's a video game reference, and it's pretty. T'was an ultimate win.

Anyways, congrats on the pretty print! Not for me, but it is definitely asthetically pleasing.

Also, love the write-up woot :D I giggled.

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl

Good one Woot. A common Japanese image done in a non-Japanese style.

Even though this is better than most of the non-Japanese images done in Japanese style that gets printed on here, I'm not biting. As a complete art nerd, I see this as more of a knock-off than a statement of originality.

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884

thumbs up on the description.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

nostalgicBadger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nostalgicBadger

Finally, something from Woot that I can wear under a blazer.

Of course I want it.

RonCousins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RonCousins
AdderXYU wrote:Why look, it's art! Who'd'a thunk?

Hey Look! He's finally not complaining about something!

RonCousins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RonCousins

...pompous idiots...

McCrafty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages McCrafty

Since when is a shirt required to surf the internet?

McCrafty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages McCrafty
lilymaiden wrote:
(Seriously, that minority of people who want the Mona Lisa on their T-shirts? Probably shouldn't be wearing T-shirts. If you want sophisticated, wear grown-up clothes.)

No kidding!

undertow976

RonCousins wrote:Also, those looking for artsy t-shirts remind me of cheesburger connoissseurs.

They're both slightly immature

Woot first - commentate later

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

Arg, No noontime sellout!!

I wonder if this shirt was sold maybe 6 months to a year ago if it would have sold out or at least done better.

I know the s.o. quantity is jacked up to 3000 now, but still.. I think the consumer base has shifted alot since Woot has been predominantly more cutesy.

It might be my last approved shirt at woot if the trend continues. I dont think Joel could substantiate accepting work if the market is condusive to more clever/cute/etc for which I dont have a problem. It takes all kinds.

Continue the palaver, praise, or probing insults if you got them. Im rubber!

undertow976

jimiyo wrote:Arg, No noontime sellout!!

I wonder if this shirt was sold maybe 6 months to a year ago if it would have sold out or at least done better.

I know the s.o. quantity is jacked up to 3000 now, but still.. I think the consumer base has shifted alot since Woot has been predominantly more cutesy.

It might be my last approved shirt at woot if the trend continues. I dont think Joel could substantiate accepting work if the market is condusive to more clever/cute/etc for which I dont have a problem. It takes all kinds.

There is always teefury . . . I like your shirt, but I try not to wear classy clothing when I'm not working.

smedgrick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick

Why is everyone rejoicing over "not another video game shirt?" That wave is obviously based on the kind of stuff you see in...

which is the first thing I thought of when I saw this shirt. A couple of jet-skiers would do wonders here.

poppetkazutaka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages poppetkazutaka

I like the generic-ness of the shirt, and the woodblock-ness.

Apparently, I also like -ness-ness... O.o

In for one, because it's perfectly professional for a casual Friday. :3

aricartt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aricartt
AdderXYU wrote:Why look, it's art! Who'd'a thunk?

you buy one?

SHIRTS:
X-treme National Park, Just The Two Of Us, You Have to Try This Guys, Teddyslayer, I’m So Sorry Elmer…, Stuck Inside, To the Top in the Style of Da Vinci, Nanonauts, The Cake is a Liar
Regular Woots: 9
Bunch of Crepes's: 1

agenthenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agenthenry

i may be a devout anti-cutesy customer, but i just don't think the placement of this design works

yeawuteva

quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva

would be ten times cooler with a surfer on it

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
jimiyo wrote:Arg, No noontime sellout!!

I think woot is limited partially by its printing and its shirt template. I've bought a few cool, "artistic" shirts from threadless (including your 'when pandas attack' :p) but they are generally belt prints... for woot, if it's design-y, it still looks like a picture on a shirt- and picture on a shirt is much better suited to cute/funny self-contained designs. I feel like this shirt would have been much more exciting as a belt print like you originally planned.

On a side note, I don't know what the demographics of woot used to be like, but since the shirt site is linked from the main site now, I imagine that the vocal minority is even more of a minority now, and that the the majority of sellouts are driven by the demographics of people from the main woot site. And these people are mostly interested in things that they could wear to a particular event, or things that their friends would comment on, or things that involve something they like (RSR, video games, cute animals)...

bamaster

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bamaster
etherealstrife wrote:A beautiful (albeit 100% ripoff / unoriginal) piece of artwork.

Yeah, I like it too even though it's a pure ripoff.

One of the things that made Kanagawa's piece so unique was his use of perspective. The wave being bigger than the island.

I think the Woot shirt has lost that insight.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

"If you’ve had your fill of the adorable cannibal-animals and the anthropomorphic vegetables"

sigh.