heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce

Congrats jimiyo!

psyddicus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psyddicus
sekiyoku wrote:I think woot is limited partially by its printing and its shirt template. I've bought a few cool, "artistic" shirts from threadless (including your 'when pandas attack' :p) but they are generally belt prints... for woot, if it's design-y, it still looks like a picture on a shirt- and picture on a shirt is much better suited to cute/funny self-contained designs. I feel like this shirt would have been much more exciting as a belt print like you originally planned.

This is a really good point. If the picture weren't just simply put right in the middle of the shirt it would be an entirely different shirt, and I would have been more likely to buy it. I can't speak for everyone else but I think that would be true for others too.

mofish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mofish

Mehh...a little generic for my tastes, afraid I'm gonna have to stamp a "OH GOD! MY PANTS ARE AFLAME!" on this one, grats on the print though.

eneref

quality posts: 11 Private Messages eneref
registereduse wrote:Holy Hokusai, Batman! Not inspired enough for me. It's a very nice design but it is far too similar to the Great Wave. However, I love all the other designs but I'm open to "higher" artistic renderings as well. This one bothers me somehow because I can only think of the original painting when I look at it.

* I took a longer look and I stand by what I said, but even on my computer I can tell it is a beautiful design by someone that respects Katsushika's mastery.

You're missing a hiragana 'ro' in your sig if the roumaji is supposed to be a proper translation.

eneref

quality posts: 11 Private Messages eneref
jimiyo wrote:Arg, No noontime sellout!!

I wonder if this shirt was sold maybe 6 months to a year ago if it would have sold out or at least done better.

I know the s.o. quantity is jacked up to 3000 now, but still.. I think the consumer base has shifted alot since Woot has been predominantly more cutesy.

It might be my last approved shirt at woot if the trend continues. I dont think Joel could substantiate accepting work if the market is condusive to more clever/cute/etc for which I dont have a problem. It takes all kinds.

Continue the palaver, praise, or probing insults if you got them. Im rubber!

I don't think that there's no hope for non-cute shirts. But when I look at the derbies, 90% of what's even submitted falls into the cute, kitsch, or geek categories.

When given the choice, I will avoid geek shirts like the plague. It doesn't say anything about who I am. I'll vote for the cute shirts if I think they're either something I'd wear (rare), or something I'd buy for a femme friend or two (MUCH more common).

I HAVE noticed, however, that woot's shirts seem to follow patterns. You will see a majority of shirts submitted and voted highly to be of a particular style for a while.. and then the style will shift. Currently, we're in the cute style (which I'm perfectly okay with if they're clever and funny or particularly artistically excellent). Before this, it was everything involving multiple curve brushes in illustrator, usually with a sense of the abstract mixed with the concrete. Before that, it was more traditional logo tees, often with simulated weathering.

I fully believe that it will eventually move toward a different style.

Will it be one you like? That, I can't tell you.

cleothemuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cleothemuse

Bwahaha! Count me in with the group that likes the silly, the cutesy, the bizarre, and the gamer/geek-inspired.

PASS on this one.

filpenny

quality posts: 9 Private Messages filpenny

10 times uglier than the inspired art, which is one of my favorite pieces....

sorry, but it's not my thing.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
filpenny wrote:10 times uglier than the inspired art, which is one of my favorite pieces....

Ha. AwesomeSauce.

smooth906

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smooth906

Putting your own unique spin on something iconic does not show a lack of originality. I think this is great, and jimiyo's style works very well in this interpretation. The original is a timeless piece of art, obviously, but this completely reworked version works better as a t-shirt graphic. In for one.

himani0118

quality posts: 2 Private Messages himani0118

I love Hokusai!
However I have to agree with what other wooters have said before me; I prefer it on my wall, not on my turnip.

The caps on the waves look like a bad grey toupee. Is it just me that sees them like that? I'm all for non-cutesy anthromorphic animal shirts, but I'd appreciate some semblence of originality.

meh!

MOAR PURPLE SHIRTS!!!

atomiicx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomiicx

I bet I could find the exact same shirt at Walmart.

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
JadenKale wrote:Lady out of Water was from the Water derby. And you should check Teetrade.org

I think by "leap-year-day (2/29)" he was referring to leap year day, which is the day it printed. ;)

jimiyo

atomiicx wrote:I bet I could find the exact same shirt at Walmart.

HA.... But on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being good, the insult is about a 6.

Reason: Not very accurate.

See

"10 times uglier than the inspired art, which is one of my favorite pieces...."

gets a 9 because of the use of hyperbole, well maybe not hyperbole to commenter, but just the fact that he gives a reason for it to be justified "which is ...my favorite.." that takes it from a typical 6.5 to a 9.

Check Insults for Dummies

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
jimiyo wrote:HA.... But on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being good, the insult is about a 6.

See

gets a 9 because of the use of hyperbole, well maybe not hyperbole to commenter, but just the fact that he gives a reason for it to be justified "which is ...my favorite.." that takes it from a typical 6.5 to a 9.

Jimi, you are cracking me up here. I'm conflicted about the purchase -- I like your stuff, but this one doesn't do it for me. Cheers! Hope to see more stuff and I need to remember to go to DBH for your stuff too.

VOTE!

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
dmckowen3 wrote:(Original content not provided.)

I love posts like this.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
undertow976 wrote:Is there a list of the filters anywhere?

This is a constant work-in-progress that may not be complete, but it's gotta be pretty close:
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2116231&PageIndex=216&ReplyCount=8679#post2159769

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

moviewatcher

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moviewatcher
jimiyo wrote:HA.... But on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being good, the insult is about a 6.

See

As I said earlier, nice looking, not for me to wear, though. BUT, I'm liking your style of response. May have to keep a closer eye on your work to see if the 'tude translates into the art. Perhaps not the best reason to follow someone's work, but at least it is a reason. Haven't been here long enough to know your work by heart yet.

rgreen454ss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rgreen454ss

Thanks, but no thanks.... Waaaay to artsy for me... Now, monkeys throwing poo at each other is my kind of art

jimiyo

moviewatcher wrote:As I said earlier, nice looking, not for me to wear, though. BUT, I'm liking your style of response. May have to keep a closer eye on your work to see if the 'tude translates into the art. Perhaps not the best reason to follow someone's work, but at least it is a reason. Haven't been here long enough to know your work by heart yet.

hahha... 'tude.... im really jokey, and i know how woot is, so i just entertain myself.

if you'd like to gander at my other works, they are much more artsy... this one was watered down considerably as i made it with woot in mind.

http://www.jimiyo.com

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
moviewatcher wrote:As I said earlier, nice looking, not for me to wear, though. BUT, I'm liking your style of response. May have to keep a closer eye on your work to see if the 'tude translates into the art. Perhaps not the best reason to follow someone's work, but at least it is a reason. Haven't been here long enough to know your work by heart yet.

Check out his stuff on DBH. Jimiyo creates shirt epics over there.

As for myself, I like this design, but I'm not in for one today. It's well executed, but I'm not really a fan of the original, so this doesn't hold any special meaning for me.

jimiyo

rgreen454ss wrote:Thanks, but no thanks.... Waaaay to artsy for me... Now, monkeys throwing poo at each other is my kind of art

i actually started drawing a monkey throwing poo, young children eating it like it was chocolate design with Threadless in mind, and i showed it to my friend and she said poop jokes dont go over well at TL so I abandoned it. I love monkeys and poop jokes.

rgreen454ss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rgreen454ss
jimiyo wrote:i actually started drawing a monkey throwing poo, young children eating it like it was chocolate design with Threadless in mind, and i showed it to my friend and she said poop jokes dont go over well at TL so I abandoned it. I love monkeys and poop jokes.

You should never listen to your friends when it comes to poop jokes.. I like this shirt but its just not my taste

jimiyo

rgreen454ss wrote:You should never listen to your friends when it comes to poop jokes.. I like this shirt but its just not my taste

we should go out to dinner one day (not for real... read on) because i have this one story that ive made at least three people spit up their food or shoot drink through their nose, or cry from laughing.

its almost pooped myself story that HAS to be told while eating. its great. its sooo great.

one time, a guy spit up on my freshly delivered chimicangas. it sucked kinda. he was my friend so i just wiped the considerable spit off with a napkin. RosePepper chimicangas are that good.

end story.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
RonCousins wrote:Also, those looking for artsy t-shirts remind me of cheesburger connoissseurs.

They're both slightly immature

Dumb comment.

You can make a burger out of ground whatever, or you could use top quality beef. You could slap a hunk of velveeta on it, or a good quality deli slice, or get something fresh and melty from your local cheese shop.

So what your comment boils down to is "people who desire top notch product even from common things are foolish." I guess we are. How dare anyone expect quality?

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell
AttilaTheMom wrote:Yay Jimi! Love the design, but I'm broke and unemployed so can't be buying. Hopefully I'll get a job before all the shirts i like get reckoned.

I thought I was reading a comment I didn't remember typing, but then looked at the user name and realized that I am not the only broke, unemployed individual who won't be buying. Dang unemployment, good luck with the job hunt AttilaTheMom.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

eneref wrote:You're missing a hiragana 'ro' in your sig if the roumaji is supposed to be a proper translation.

And the kanji would be way better. 「安かろう悪かろう」って良いでしょう。

(for the curious, it's the Japanese version of "you get what you pay for" which is more literally cheap things are bad things)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Alkaev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alkaev

Jimiyo, been browsing shirt woot and teefury for few weeks now with some compelling and temtping things to buy, but this was the first I actually signed up and ordered. I love it, and I'm oddly soothed by the fact it's one of yours. Congrats on the print.

Shenorock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shenorock
RonCousins wrote:Also, those looking for artsy t-shirts remind me of cheesburger connoissseurs.

They're both slightly immature

People who want cloven hooved children or large eyed forest animals on their t-shirts couldn't be more mature however =)

My dog once took a pooh on the carpet, but didn't want to get caught so she ate it. When I walked into the room I watched her spew up the pooh-food mixture and it looked just like this shirt.

Nah, I really like this shirt. Just wanted to see what score my insult would get.

Make this the beginning of a trend woot and print more wearable shirts like this! Thanks =)

amherbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amherbert

Although somewhat mature, I didn't like the copy of 'The Wave'. Where are the boats? I'd like a better copy of the woodcut, or better still a version of the woodcutting.

Tacomakidz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tacomakidz
dunz0 wrote:this is beautiful!

this is bad, like not interesting at all

jimiyo

Tacomakidz wrote:this is bad, like not interesting at all

good rebuttal, but still 6.7.

brevity might have helped score it better.
maybe just

>this is beautiful...
no, this is not.

or even..

>this is beautiful...
no.

i would have enjoyed that. that would be like a 7.75 with a smile chuckle.

mewlink64

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mewlink64

I think this would rock as an orange wave on a grass colored shirt.

jimiyo

tisonlyame wrote:...
Sorry, nice try, but it's still not really appealing to many of us art people.

Chuckle.
"Art people."

This is a 9.5-er.

I dub thee winner of the snarky comments although Im sure there some golden stinkers in the other dozens of I-just-want-to-take-a-dump-on-someone-semi-anonymously-through-the-internet comments.

Thank you Woot for the opportunity. Looks like I did decent... over 2000+ pcs. Not a sellout, but good enough for me.

Good night!

JimmyKu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JimmyKu

I could not resist buying this. I love tropical related shirts, palm trees, waves, surfing.
Love it

Yep.
This is pretty much it.

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
jimiyo wrote:

Thank you Woot for the opportunity. Looks like I did decent... over 2000+ pcs. Not a sellout, but good enough for me.

Good night!

Ahh, c'mon. I was hoping for another caffeine inspired ranting night that you were known for 'back in da day'.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
IndependentVik wrote:Check out his stuff on DBH. Jimiyo creates shirt epics over there.

As for myself, I like this design, but I'm not in for one today. It's well executed, but I'm not really a fan of the original, so this doesn't hold any special meaning for me.

Also check out his "Our Lady of Guadalupe" shirt on Cameesa. I can't wait for that sucker to print.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
abelleauc wrote:thatrobert has hit it on the head. I can't say I was familiar with Jimiyo's inspiration until I followed the posted link, but when I did I was even more impressed with his interpretation. This is beautiful AND original.

You are a person with taste and good karma

snmnstars2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snmnstars2
DeadFrog wrote:At first I was like "He stole that!" then I was like "I wish I had thought of that." then "I wish I had the design chops to pull it off." then I bought one.

ahuhu too funny

fatverm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fatverm

very nice

ShaneLee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaneLee

in for one...