jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
Gatzby wrote:Why isn't it good?

Now's your chance, Adder. Gatz has put it on a tee for you. Let 'er rip!

EDIT: You already did. Never mind.

LIchick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LIchick

i think its a really cute shirt

ZenOfThunder

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ZenOfThunder

Is that elephant supposed to be pink? Nightmare fuel.

MUSIC LIVES!

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii

The only reason this won is because it references a childhood movie. Otherwise there's nothing really special about it.

BlackLabel2021

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackLabel2021

I don't understand the whole circus tents in the lower background... Is the elephant wishing he could join the circus? If so that is a sadly misguided elephant...

cake eater

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cake eater

im betting he's wishing he wasn't in the fookin' circus.

awesome colors, but no way am i buying this shirt. and i buy a lot of shirts from you guys.

forum option changes may take a few minutes. just relax

hlmitchell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hlmitchell

Why is the headless rock child reaching for the flaming sword that just burned his village to the ground?

jel2301

hlmitchell wrote:Why is the headless rock child reaching for the flaming sword that just burned his village to the ground?

Ell Oh Ell. Nice. We've heard many takes on it this week, but that's a new one and also my favorite.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
SixPieces wrote:Is it kosher to dislike Adder? Because I'm getting there.

I am not cloven hoofed nor am I a shellfish. I think you're out of luck.

Unless you meant "Is it kosher to dislike, Adder?" In which case yes, it is perfectly ok to dislike this.

Either way, you'll have to go in depth about why

uberwald

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uberwald

This is inspired by the Disney film Dumbo, in which the elephant (Dumbo) becomes the star of a circus with the aid of a magic feather that allegedly helps him fly.

mllemeranii

"the elephant was able to piggy-back on their success rather than bother to develop itself"

Yes, seki was able to take a completely unoriginal idea and regurgitate it in order to win another derby week after week.

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles

woot's commentary says: "so the elephant was able to piggy-back on their success rather than bother to develop itself."

This reminds me of one of the "Miles Vorkosigan Adventure" (Lois McMaster Bujold) space opera books where Miles is mulling over a terrible goof he's just made with the phrase "I am able to make the most enormous mistakes possible because I stand on the shoulders of giants..."

gypsy101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gypsy101

At first I thought it was a shooting star, but it does look like a feather now that it's been mentioned.

jel2301

mllemeranii wrote:The only reason this won is because it references a childhood movie. Otherwise there's nothing really special about it.

I think the colors are striking, so I'll definitely give it that. At first glance, it's a good-looking shirt. Once you start to look at the details, that's when the problems start to arise.

AdderXYU

mllemeranii wrote:"the elephant was able to piggy-back on their success rather than bother to develop itself"

Yes, seki was able to take a completely unoriginal idea and regurgitate it in order to win another derby week after week.

I am glad other people are catching the allegory also

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AdderXYU wrote:I am not cloven hoofed

That photo you posted (great photo, by the way) is cut off at the waist, which I find suspicious. Sure, most people don't post full-body photos, but Adder, you aren't most people. Clearly you are trying to hide something.

And I don't mean your face behind the cabbage. Something smelly is afoot. Pun totally intended.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

jazzaholic17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazzaholic17

This shirt is mystical, mythical, magical, and I love it. Unfortunately, it would be my second black woot tee and that I cannot deal with. Props though, it's amazing and definitely had my vote. I expect it'll sell out with in the next hour or two. Probably right around midnight PDT.

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles
BlackLabel2021 wrote:I don't understand the whole circus tents in the lower background... Is the elephant wishing he could join the circus? If so that is a sadly misguided elephant...

All told, I don't understand how this design represents the concept "circus".

The foreground utterly distracts one from the background (which one might suppose are circus tents - but then where are all of the carts and other circus vehicles?) As I noted earlier, given the title, which includes "wish", I hadn't the slightest idea what the tents were and tried to make a joke about how the elephant wanted to go down and stomp on them. The joke, of course, fell utterly flat. (that was not meant as a pun although it would be a really cruddy one if it were)

It is a pretty enough design, but I'm afraid that if I wore it in public I'd get saccharine-sweet comments about how wonderful it is, and the people looking wouldn't have a clue what they were seeing. The R.I.P. for cassettes, on the other hand, was a bold statement and has garnered a lot of praise (one person even bugged me enough that I was able to purchase it from another shirt.wooter). Honestly, this PICTURE doesn't say "circus" to me.

AdderXYU

eHalcyon wrote:That photo you posted (great photo, by the way) is cut off at the waist, which I find suspicious. Sure, most people don't post full-body photos, but Adder, you aren't most people. Clearly you are trying to hide something.

And I don't mean your face behind the cabbage. Something smelly is afoot. Pun totally intended.

Are you trying to get my goat?

How dare ewe, you pig!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

"And week after week, the elephant used the magic feather to become the star of the circus."

Me thinks this metaphorical feather could be:

A) Bad art skills
B) Childish designs
C) The just-as-bad boyfriend
D) The worthless first posts that include a signature with links to her terrible shirts to buy
E) All of the above.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

choflagg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages choflagg

Boring, pointless, will look drab when printed.

shutts67

quality posts: 19 Private Messages shutts67
KaylaJ wrote:i could've sworn that was heffalump when i first saw it

What exactly distinguishes a heffalump from an elephant?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

squirrellyferret

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squirrellyferret

So am I the only one who looked at this and thought that Elephant = Little Foot?? (that long-necked dinosaur in the land before time).

Someone tell me I'm not crazy. Gratz on the design, I almost like it more with the weird dinosaur thing going on.

i3aby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages i3aby
prateeko wrote:Do the clouds remind anyone else of The Wind Waker (Zelda)?

Now that you mention it, it totally does! My gosh...

saheykid89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saheykid89
prateeko wrote:Do the clouds remind anyone else of The Wind Waker (Zelda)?

haha yea, they do have that anime quality about them

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
shutts67 wrote:What exactly distinguishes a heffalump from an elephant?

i've never met an elephant who hung out with a woozle

plus apparently carly simon named junior, not sure how many elephants she's named

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
jazzaholic17 wrote:This shirt is mystical, mythical, magical, and I love it. Unfortunately, it would be my second black woot tee and that I cannot deal with. Props though, it's amazing and definitely had my vote. I expect it'll sell out with in the next hour or two. Probably right around midnight PDT.

Well thanks for the compliments. Although I wouldn't worry about owning more than one black tee. You can never have enough black shirts IMO. ;)

mllemeranii

i3aby wrote:Now that you mention it, it totally does! My gosh...

Considering that the idea from the shirt is not her own...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

I could be wrong here but one of them is real.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU

saheykid89 wrote:haha yea, they do have that anime quality about them

haha imagine that, anime quality to the design

jel2301

jazzaholic17 wrote:This shirt is mystical, mythical, magical, and I love it. Unfortunately, it would be my second black woot tee and that I cannot deal with. Props though, it's amazing and definitely had my vote. I expect it'll sell out with in the next hour or two. Probably right around midnight PDT.

Though I disagree with you about the shirt, I commend you for your knowledge of the difference between xST and xDT. I work in a field where time zones are often referenced, and people get this wrong probably 95% of the time. To them (and they're not in Arizona or Hawaii), it's always Standard Time.

sekiyoku

mllemeranii wrote:Considering that the idea from the shirt is not her own...

Not that I want to get into a huge argument with someone who will inevitably never agree with me or see my point...

but the "idea" behind the shirt is largely related to the execution. The composition, placement, and colors were what I focused on. The purpose was to create a nice looking shirt that had both cute and pretty aspects in it. You may disagree about whether or not it looks nice, but the elephant silhouette, feather, clouds, and circus tents are all design elements I used to try to create a visual impact with the image.

cryss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cryss

i gotta quit reading the story of the winning shirt - it gets to weird.
i'll just stick with buying a shirt and wearing it.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

sekiyoku wrote:Not that I want to get into a huge argument with someone who will inevitably never agree with me or see my point...

but the "idea" behind the shirt is largely related to the execution. The composition, placement, and colors were what I focused on. The purpose was to create a nice looking shirt that had both cute and pretty aspects in it. You may disagree about whether or not it looks nice, but the elephant silhouette, feather, clouds, and circus tents are all design elements I used to try to create a visual impact with the image.

Hey, now, that didn't actually address the comment to which you were responding. Whatsoever. How about this, instead: the "idea" behind the shirt is completely related to the execution of an idea not your own. The composition, placement, and colors were what you focused on when ripping off an idea that is not your own. The purpose was to create a nice looking shirt that had both cute and pretty aspects in it while illustrating the idea that is not your own. I may disagree about whether or not it looks nice, but the elephant silhouette, feather, clouds, and circus tents are all design elements you used to try to create a visual impact with the image that is based on an idea that is not your own.

I'll give you pretty tents and cute color combination, though.

veemon147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veemon147

The bit about the police having to shoot the elephant in the write-up reminds me of the chimp attack a few weeks back.

I couldn't wear this, but I'm glad to see you added the inside curve on the ear, seki.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Heffalumps aren't real?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

sekiyoku

goldenthorn wrote:
I'll give you pretty tents and cute color combination, though.

Again, don't want to get into a fight, and you can feel free to disagree, but the point I'm trying to make is that I came up with the idea for the composition of the design first, and then added the design elements to fill it in. The feather could have been exchanged with a golden butterfly, and I would have been essentially equally satisfied with the image.

There can be ideas interpreted from the design (original, like woot's writeup ;) or not), but there is not a single "idea that is not mine" that the picture is based off of because there was never intended to be a definitive explanation for the picture.

gandecab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandecab

mmmmmmm Grimaldis

the best pizza in DUMBO

Kerigman

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kerigman

After looking at the design 3 times, I couldn't help but think the "feather" looks much more like one of Kratos' blades than anything else...

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

sekiyoku wrote:Again, don't want to get into a fight, and you can feel free to disagree, but the point I'm trying to make is that I came up with the idea for the composition of the design first, and then added the design elements to fill it in. The feather could have been exchanged with a golden butterfly, and I would have been essentially equally satisfied with the image.

There can be ideas interpreted from the design (original, like woot's writeup ;) or not), but there is not a single "idea that is not mine" that the picture is based off of because there was never intended to be a definitive explanation for the picture.

ooookay.