linkszelda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkszelda

well, im glad to see some of the comments were actually taken into consideration when you resubmitted for print, but its still not all that great. it looks like you just added in purple to make it look like you cared but didn't change the actual shape at all. the chin? you should have just taken in the golden part because now it just looks really odd with a shade that makes no sense right next to a highlight at the edge that makes little sense. the edge of black should have been the edge of the shape. now he looks like an elephant wrapped in cellophane or something shiny/reflective almost that doesn't stick to his body. and the feather looks like it's still shooting out from the elephants nose. just a tiny move down a few pixels could have solved that problem.

dont like the placement. dont know how many guys would actually buy this with the colors, but as a girl i would never be caught dead with an elephants trunk cupping my boob. if i wanted something like that, i'd go to Cyanide and Happiness and pick up another "Squeeze Me" shirt. a stick figure fondling me is better than an elephant trunk.

and although i know its Dumbo the elephant and there are tents in the background, i really don't think it fits the "circus" idea. have you ever been to a circus? it's NEVER that quiet or empty. ever. inside and out, it's always hectic with something. it being night is no exception; there's always something going on. more detail and attention, both to the tents and the elephant's shape, may have solidified a buy.

but instead, like people have said, it looks more like something sitting on a hill with a shooting-star-shaped feather-look-alike watching tents burst into flames from said feather-look-alike.

who wishes they could be in the circus, other than Dumbo (does the name have meaning, i wonder)? but aside from recognizability and color palette, this shirt does nothing for me.

i've picked up some of your other stuff when they placed in the top 3, but this is not worth the $10.

SarahPants5

quality posts: 6 Private Messages SarahPants5

The write-up: Wow woot, kitty likes to scratch....hahaha!

The design: I voted, then took it back deciding I wouldn't buy/wear this after all, especially once I looked really close and recognized the feather and elephant combo being Dumbo...then looking at the clouds closely I thought of Aladdin, and then I just felt weird...too much Disney. I'm too old to wear that, as a 21 y/o. (In my opinion!! I don't want a bunch of responses from the 30 and 40-somethings buying and wearing this shirt, good for YOU!!!)

I will say it's cute for the little ones, and I have no qualms with the actual art, it's well done for what it is and the elephant is cute and looks like an elephant, and the feather looks like a feather, etc. IN MY OPINION. Done, night woot!

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
sekiyoku wrote:There can be ideas interpreted from the design (original, like woot's writeup ;) or not), but there is not a single "idea that is not mine" that the picture is based off of because there was never intended to be a definitive explanation for the picture.

Okay Ms. Seki, so are you saying you just thought, "Circus... oh! An elephant should be holding something that looks like a feather!"

Because otherwise, the idea you claim to be based off of nothing is well... not yours, and based on something.

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
mllemeranii wrote:Okay Ms. Seki, so are you saying you just thought, "Circus... oh! An elephant should be holding something that looks like a feather!"

Because otherwise, the idea you claim to be based off of nothing is well... not yours, and based on something.

Well, if you must know, here's a summary of my thought process -

1. original idea - silhouette circus animal sitting on a hill looking at bright circus tents below, purple/gold color scheme, very large sky area
2. decide to make the animal a baby elephant because I wanted a smooth silhouette (not furry), and elephant was the first and best thing that came to mind
3. the placement of the hill and the tents were weird for the elephant to be looking down. decided to make it look up at the sky
4. after adding the highlights on the elephant, it seemed like something was missing. considered giving the elephant wings, then decided that would be overkill and added a feather instead.

:p My design process is not very interesting.

shakensparco

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shakensparco

I really want this shirt but the flame thing bothers me. It looks like its firing out of the trunk. Are you sure its not a shooting star?

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Is this the one that hears a who ?

amazingrace4u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amazingrace4u

LOVE the colors. Can I please request more shirts in black and dark purple in the future?

arzenika

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arzenika

great shirt! dumbo is my favourite elephant ever..

definitely a good buy (:

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles
sekiyoku wrote:Well, if you must know, here's a summary of my thought process -

(recounting of the summary)

:p My design process is not very interesting.

And this is what happens to other people:

Boiled down from http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/mysweet.htm concerning the relationship between "what I had seen or heard once upon a time" and "the piece of art I've just created" and how it is a pain in the brain.

In 1962, the song "He's So Fine" was recorded by the Chiffons. It became a smash hit in 1963.

As it turns out, George Harrison acknowledged that he was familiar with "He's So Fine". In December, 1969, George was playing in Copenhagen, Denmark, Harrison told the court that the song that became "My Sweet Lord" (MSL) was conceived when he slipped away from a press conference and began "vamping" some guitar chords, fitting the chords to the words "Hallelujah" and "Hare Krishna."

George Harrison recorded a version of "My Sweet Lord" for his album, "All Things Must Pass," and released MSL as the first single from that album. It was released on November 28, 1970 in the United States and was a number one hit shortly thereafter.

On February 10, 1971, before it even completed its fourteen-week run on the chart, Bright Tunes filed suit against George (and a lot of companies with which he was associated).

... twenty two years pass ...

A check with the judge's clerk in July, 1993, revealed that in April, 1993, an agreed order (meaning that all parties consented to the entry of the order) was entered at the trial court level. At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, all indications are that this case will finally be resolved before the end of the 20th century!

So, even given the thought process you had, it doesn't mean that it wasn't guided by something you had previously experienced. Every decision made sounds like "I wanted to do thus-and-such so that this-and-that would be a part of what I am making". But, in truth, those decisions might have been, in effect, pre-determined by memory and you were naturally following a decision tree (sorry for the nomenclature) that was already in your subconscious.

This doesn't say anything the least bit derogatory about your art other than it might be useful to attempt to be -more- aware what is guiding your decisions. Personally, I think the clouds are lovely.

And I still think that the feather looks like Douglas Adam's massive sperm whale (what does the word filter do with THAT) whale saying

"And wow! Hey! What's this thing coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding word like... ow... ound... round... ground! That's it! That's a good name - ground!
I wonder if it will be friends with me?"

and the elephant _-wishes-_ to see the splash.

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles

All told, I think I've only done three relatively good bits in my life. Otherwise, everything has been mechanical. This is the one I like best:

It is a graphic of the hot air balloon "Lucy" which I used to crew for (about twenty years or so worth).

lunartan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
sekiyoku wrote:... the elephant silhouette, feather, clouds, and circus tents are all design elements I used to try to create a visual impact with the image.

sekiyoku wrote:
4. after adding the highlights on the elephant, it seemed like something was missing. considered giving the elephant wings, then decided that would be overkill and added a feather instead.

Bah, the only reason you added the feather was to pander to fuzzy Disney wubber votes. Who would add a feather floating in the night sky above an "anonymous" elephant's head without seeing Dumbo?

Thought process: Circus... Dumbo! Now to de-Disneyfy it enough to print. Quite unoriginal. Grats.

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell

I like the design, the elephant sitting on a hill looking down on the circus as the sun rises, thinking wow what is this and how do I join. I love the redish orange look, it is how the sun often makes things appear first thing in the morning. The tents are what I think of when I think of the circus. As to the originality of the design, elephants and tents are a part of almost every circus. There really are no original ideas as everything in our memories were inputted from somewhere. What I see here is Seki's take on the circus, the combining of various elements, tents, elephant and adding in the sun rising effect to me makes this hers. I like the use of colors, the black background with the purple and red/orange tints to me this is the sun coming up and illuminating the earth.

Great design, congratulations on the print.

gChinkin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gChinkin

Oh dear, look at that product description...

enjoylavie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages enjoylavie
gChinkin wrote:Oh dear, look at that product description...

When my cousin is old enough I will read this story to him and it will become one of his fondest memories (that's just how great it is).

wrek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wrek

Elephant looks like he just did a nice radioactive sneeze or something.

You're so vain... you probably think this post is about you.. don't you? Don't you? You're so vain!

Renata29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Renata29

Design reminds me a tad of Loom, the old LucasArts game. http://i29.tinypic.com/2yxrm1f.jpg

moki205

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moki205

I turly love this shirt, What a great design. I just wish people who said they don't get would stop being silly, becase we all know they do.....

http://www.justin.tv/woottv

minc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages minc

I wish...

I had not clicked onto shirt.woot this morning to see
this ghastly design as the Winner(??!) of the Circus Derby.

I cannot believe...

The person who created this, tries so willingly above, to explain
their intent was somehow original(?!) aka Dumbo/Feather = Disney
Iconic Image & boldly assumes (hopes or just doesn't give a.. as long
as I'm gettin' paid & popular!) people will eat it up & somehow say
"Oh yeahhh, great idea!!"

(Sadly, this will & has already happened..)

Reasons for disgust...

*direct Disney Ripoff, simply stated.

*The maker's claim of originality.

*The fact that Woot didn't immediately X this out for said ripoff.
D..U..M..B..O... Is For ORIGINALITY

Disney's Dumbo & The Magic Feather.

Artistic Reasons for disgust...

*The color scheme. Looks so unbelievably tacky, like something you
would find on the Clearance Rack at Spencer Gifts or a child's Hot Topic.

*The graphic size. shirt.woot carries many great designs from talented
designers, no doubt, but suffers a many times from the ever-tacky Ginormous
Graphic Syndrome. aka New Waves, Huggy Bear, Mario Kart, etc. to list a few.

*The execution. Although, obviously not a realistic scenario, the
perspective is poorly executed w. the sparkles around the tents being
as huge as they are in comparison to the actual tents & Dumbo's body.

The clouds look like frightened Ram Mice. (take a look)

Overall, it just doesn't work at all, as a whole, for everything said
above, let alone as a Derby Winner, no matter what the subject.

Especially when there were many illustrations that completely are in
another class from this thing. And yet, this won by a landslide(?!)

Is it that shirt.woot is bombarded by countless drones(+994)
w. zero style-sense or is it a question of multiple accounts?

Probably a mixture of both. Sadly.

my59fins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages my59fins

dreams, the only thing left that is not taxed go big O

KarinP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KarinP
linkszelda wrote:* snipping w-scissors *

* snip *

* snip * . . . i really don't think it fits the "circus" idea. have you ever been to a circus? it's NEVER that quiet or empty. ever. inside and out, it's always hectic with something. it being night is no exception; there's always something going on. more detail and attention, both to the tents and the elephant's shape, may have solidified a buy.

* snip *

and i don't think black geometric shapes typically walk around with empty brightly-colored word balloons, either, but they were earlier this week. : - P

that's it. i think i just figured it out. there were racial undertones to that walking black square, wasn't there?!? = : - O

Paradox55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55

I read the write-up as a direct hit on how Woot really feels about this design. Substitute Seki for the elephant and go from there. It's better than anything I could have said myself.

cgl1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cgl1

Poor baby elephant has to spend his life being abused and mistreated in a circus. Wearing this would be like wearing fur.

dolphin76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphin76

Congrats on first place. I ordered one for my daughter...she's had her eye on this shirt all week. And, at 6, she hasn't yet mentioned anything about Dumbo, and yes, she knows the movie. I'm pretty sure she's intrigued by the colors of the shirt.

I thought the feather was a shooting star at first, that might have worked just as well.

w: 10 w.w: 15 s.w: 60 so.w: 3 k.w: 7

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen

I like the small adjustments you made from the original submission, seki! Better!

Congrats on the 1st place.

eneref

quality posts: 12 Private Messages eneref
zozzles wrote:All told, I don't understand how this design represents the concept "circus".

The foreground utterly distracts one from the background (which one might suppose are circus tents - but then where are all of the carts and other circus vehicles?) As I noted earlier, given the title, which includes "wish", I hadn't the slightest idea what the tents were and tried to make a joke about how the elephant wanted to go down and stomp on them. The joke, of course, fell utterly flat. (that was not meant as a pun although it would be a really cruddy one if it were)

It is a pretty enough design, but I'm afraid that if I wore it in public I'd get saccharine-sweet comments about how wonderful it is, and the people looking wouldn't have a clue what they were seeing. The R.I.P. for cassettes, on the other hand, was a bold statement and has garnered a lot of praise (one person even bugged me enough that I was able to purchase it from another shirt.wooter). Honestly, this PICTURE doesn't say "circus" to me.

Honestly, to some degree, I have to agree with you here. I love the colours here, and in my head, the circus in the background is sort of idyllic -- off beyond the foreground hill. It's the evening after the performance, and the lights have gone down, and the glowing firelights of the carnies flicker in the distance as they gather around to chat about the day and enjoy the simple things in life.

To me, that's a powerful circus memory/feeling. It's suddenly the end of every village fair from my youth, and every travelling carnival of my later years. It's nostalgia; it's comfort. And it's an image that makes me feel both safe and warm.

But then, there's the elephant -- an incongruous element in the foreground, playing gently with a feather. Someone made the comment that this is about Dumbo, but I've no idea. I've never actually seen the movie, so if it is, I don't get the reference. All it serves to do for me is take an image in my head the conjures emotions of comfort and times gone by, and it disturbs that with an odd juxtaposition I don't fully understand.

I realise this odd juxtaposition is likely the primary reason this shirt was voted highly, as without it, it is simply an image that lacks meaning to most. But to me, it's just jarring.

Jestik

minc wrote:I wish...

I had not clicked onto shirt.woot this morning to see
this ghastly design as the Winner(??!) of the Circus Derby.

I cannot believe...

The person who created this, tries so willingly above, to explain
their intent was somehow original(?!) aka Dumbo/Feather = Disney
Iconic Image & boldly assumes (hopes or just doesn't give a.. as long
as I'm gettin' paid & popular!) people will eat it up & somehow say
"Oh yeahhh, great idea!!"

(Sadly, this will & has already happened..)

Reasons for disgust...

*direct Disney Ripoff, simply stated.

*The maker's claim of originality.

*The fact that Woot didn't immediately X this out for said ripoff.
D..U..M..B..O... Is For ORIGINALITY

Artistic Reasons for disgust...

*The color scheme. Looks so unbelievably tacky, like something you
would find on the Clearance Rack at Spencer Gifts or a child's Hot Topic.

*The graphic size. shirt.woot carries many great designs from talented
designers, no doubt, but suffers a many times from the ever-tacky Ginormous
Graphic Syndrome. aka New Waves, Huggy Bear, Mario Kart, etc. to list a few.

*The execution. Although, obviously not a realistic scenario, the
perspective is poorly executed w. the sparkles around the tents being
as huge as they are in comparison to the actual tents & Dumbo's body.

The clouds look like frightened Ram Mice. (take a look)

Overall, it just doesn't work at all, as a whole, for everything said
above, let alone as a Derby Winner, no matter what the subject.

Especially when there were many illustrations that completely are in
another class from this thing. And yet, this won by a landslide(?!)

Is it that shirt.woot is bombarded by countless drones(+994)
w. zero style-sense or is it a question of multiple accounts?

Probably a mixture of both. Sadly.

while I agree with some aspects of your post, I don't think that New Waves suffers from the graphic size at all. I think the design was printed at the perfect size, as the detail is brought out, and any smaller and it would look rather silly. The design, after all, is about a BIG wave...

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen

Congrats on the print! I really enjoy the color scheme. Like Woot said, I'd like to see more purple on designs...I like purple

I didn't catch the dumbo reference. I thought it was just an elephant looking to the sky being jealous of the circus birds who would have an opportunity to escape. This shirt says "I want freedom" more than "Hi! My name is Dumbo."

As always, keep up the awesome work

SeraphSix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix
jel2301 wrote:Though I disagree with you about the shirt, I commend you for your knowledge of the difference between xST and xDT. I work in a field where time zones are often referenced, and people get this wrong probably 95% of the time. To them (and they're not in Arizona or Hawaii), it's always Standard Time.

I commend you on remembering to remove Indiana from that list of Standard Time states, as this is only the third year which we'll be observing Daylight Time.

Jestik

SeraphSix wrote:I commend you on remembering to remove Indiana from that list of Standard Time states, as this is only the third year which we'll be observing Daylight Time.

and it suxx.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

I wish...

this wouldn't have won. :-P

amazingrace4u wrote:LOVE the colors. Can I please request more shirts in black and dark purple in the future?

I have to agree, but that's the only part of this design I like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

Ozzie2191

quality posts: 52 Private Messages Ozzie2191

Interesting color scheme on this, so picked up one for my younger daughter (against the desires of The Wife, FWIW). Yes, it's clearly dumbo-inspired, but not sure why all the vitrol is being spewed about it.

**Witty signature fail**Out of cheese error**Redo from start**

Doverhere

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doverhere

I don't want to be a spoil sport, but yet another odd design with a bad placement, STM.

Placement completely prevents tucking in the shirt - but why? Doesn't make any sense.

Just really strange - is shirt.woot out of good ideas? Woot shirts seem to be frequently disappointing these days and really makes me wonder what they're trying to achieve?

seltzerdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seltzerdog
hlmitchell wrote:Why is the headless rock child reaching for the flaming sword that just burned his village to the ground?

And I thought it was a baby brontosaurus standing on a boulder... perhaps wishing he actually existed? Also, belching.

Valis wrote:Dumbo was based on a children's book in the first place, and even so the design is ambiguous enough to cast a reasonable doubt upon infringement.

Well clearly it's not that ambiguous...

tehooper

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tehooper
KaylaJ wrote:think its supposed to be a shooting star?

I couldnt' make it out, but I was kinda hoping it was a dinosaur looking up at the night sky to see a falling star / meteor coming towards earth. It would be in keeping with yesterday's shirt.
:-D

ratchangelam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratchangelam

This shirt is not necessarily for me, but I definitely agree with some of the previous individuals on your color choice. I think the colors you used for the design went very well with the black backdrop. Purple is a color that we aren’t seeing enough of in the shirts.

Congrats on the win and the print.

sdsnowbrdr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdsnowbrdr
AdderXYU wrote:Like the inane drivel the "artist" and her "artist" boyfriend leave at the top of every thread to promote their wares, yet never actually say anything.

I am glad I am not the only one who noticed that.

Teutonicopeth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Teutonicopeth

A bit too cute for my tastes, but def. a cool looking design.

thatcrazywyles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thatcrazywyles

I thought this was a baby brontosaurus standing on a rock at first!

harle85

quality posts: 6 Private Messages harle85

I wish I had the spare funds to buy two shirts in two days...

lwmcdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwmcdave

Well. I like the use of dark and light and negative space in black. It's at least interesting to some degree. If only for the sake of trying to decipher it. But at first I thought it was a snail siting on a rock looking at snail shaped clouds wishing it could fly like the clouds and the shooting star, but what did that have to do with a circus? Nothing. Then it looks like a baby elephant (not Dumbo, ears are not big enough), but what is that flash of white in the middle of the design? Is it a feather? Is it a shooting star? I can't see myself trying to explain it to everyone who looks at the shirt. "I think it's a... but I'm not sure."