MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
endangeredomega wrote:you *might* be able to pull this off, as there are no real facial details or insignia in the design. it's just a guy with a cape and a spitcurl and a square jaw. that could be *anybody* ;p

*ahem*

0:55

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Athena Rising

Great use of space for your design. +1

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
Re: Lion in the Tall Grass

Why are you showing the lion on 3 backgrounds other than the lemon? People will not have a choice of shirt color.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

MadamAtom

keyser520 wrote:Please note that i also played around with another color scheme

I'm usually all about the cool colors, but for some reason I really prefer this one.

Good luck!

frostylizzard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frostylizzard
Re: Art deco frog V2

I like the other one better, just wish it was on a brown shirt. Still its nice.

frostylizzard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frostylizzard
Re: Clockwork deco frog V3

Yay!! GMV. Looks nice.

MadamAtom

Re: Elements of the City

I'm not sure the skyline works, and I can't deal with the underwear waves.

But I adore what's going on in her hair.

Really torn here ...

MadamAtom

Oh! Wow. Taking the box off really did make a huge difference. (And I'd've never figured that out. Thanks to those who did!) I kinda liked it before; this one, I can vote for.

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv
DavidShenoda wrote:Even the most avid art teachers and students don't agree on one SPECIFIC definition for what qualifies as deco art. There are only general, very loose, trends that we as humans try to categorize, after the fact, into nice little packages that we can digest and give to others.

While that may be true, art deco does have a specific style and certain elements. So while there is a lot that is up to interpretation with any art movement, there are also specifics that make up the movement itself.

That being said, I do like the design of this piece whether it is actually art deco or not. And if it does get rejected (which I doubt it will because there are a lot of entrees that basically don't have any art deco elements), then I hope you can find another place that will print it.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: Get on the Mike

Is this a some dude's uncle tracy reference, becasue I never read the comic? I get that vibe from it.

DavidShenoda

Re: Bomb Deco

This shirt is the bomb.

strongworm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strongworm
Re: Classic Kong

awesome. classic. This better win... *angry face*

kmgravi87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmgravi87
Re: Bowl Deco

I really like this design - but I was kind of hoping that it would be on the top of the shirt instead of in the center.

Hope you get your Photoshop/Illustrator tips! Wish I was cool enough to have some for you!

DavidShenoda

Re: Abstract Art Deco

I like this, even though it is more noveau-ish, but who cares. The fact that woot expects to be able to establish/enforce stylistic restrictions on an entire era of art. I think as long as you're not directly copying any images or icons that you're ok.

mcr2020

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcr2020
Re: ...with the World on his shoulders.

When I saw the derby subject I too had Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged on my mind. Love the design. GMV!

kokiri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokiri
Re: Sunshine

Wow, this is really pretty! Love the simplicity

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Breakfast (color)

I like this version, though the dark reddish-brown could use more contrast from the t-shirt color. I could barely tell there's an edge to the toast.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
rellybob wrote:The first thing I thought of when I saw this shirt was the Batman symbol.

I think that was the point of this design. He is making a play on the Gothem reference in Woot's description this week. A Gothem-esque skyline and reflection on the water to look like a Batman signal. Very clever. Not sure if Woot will reject it or not, but this design has my vote.

Quelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Quelin
Re: ...with the World on his shoulders.

I will buy this shirt

--sot--

kokiri

Re: I Dream of Gears

Beautiful illustration...the birds are great; I really like mechanical birds for some reason. And, maybe it's a matter of preference, or I don't know what I'm talking about, but her nose bothers me - it looks too hard - too many lines, like that L shape that the lines make, and it doesn't seem to fit with the smooth lines in the eyes and lips. Even so, this is really awesome.

kokiri

Re: Decobot Discovers Love

The colors are very attractive, and so is the design. I keep coming back to look at it. Great work!

Not sure about that planetty orb up there though.

Dezrox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dezrox
striker138 wrote:I think that was the point of this design. He is making a play on the Gothem reference in Woot's description this week. A Gothem-esque skyline and reflection on the water to look like a Batman signal. Very clever. Not sure if Woot will reject it or not, but this design has my vote.

Yeah, the original Batman was set in the '20s and '30s, smack dab in the middle of the Art Deco period. That, and the fact that Gotham city was almost directly modeled after New York, which at the time had a predominantly Art Deco skyline. That style influenced most of the artwork for the comic and subsequent shows/movies what have you... I guess you need to know your history a little for this to make sense, but thanks for the support!

DavidShenoda

Re: Construct

I keep thinking iron man when I look at this design. Personally, I like this style of yours. I much more prefer this type of shirt to the bulk of your entries. And I know that if it works, you should keep doing it, but I would like to see woot move away from the uber cute stuff we've all become accustomed to.

DavidShenoda

Re: Construct

I keep thinking iron man when I look at this design. Personally, I like this style of yours. I much more prefer this type of shirt to the bulk of your entries. And I know that if it works, you should keep doing it, but I would like to see woot move away from the uber cute stuff we've all become accustomed to.

veronikaa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages veronikaa
Re: You are the agent of change (resub)

this should make it to the fog!.. i love it so much!.. i want to buy it!!!!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Foo228 wrote:Why is it that most of tgentry's work is a regurgitation of past stuff? I admit - he's got some creativity, but I think this is overdoing it. The guy with the lips each week (kenney, afaik) at least keeps it entertaining, this is just insulting.

What was my circus entry a regurgitation of? Sun Wukong? Sea Cats? Stuck Inside? Art Season? Nanonauts? Suburban Blitzkrieg? Watch it Grow? El Prospector Cantante? Mine!? I could literally list a hundred entries that look nothing like another one. Are you even paying attention? I probably have the most diverse range of entries and printed shirts of anyone here. Once in a while I decide to a shirt with these little guys and everyone's up in arms. There's many other people here that really do do the same type of thing every week and you pick one of the people that does it the least. Thanks for trying though.

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: Saturn

This started out as my wife's Saturn, The hood got stretched and I put a gaudy hood ornament on it... I put more details and pictures on the blog.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: The Rabbit's Weird Dream

Trippy! (I like it)

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Darksaber99999 wrote:Needs more tigers.

ELL OH ELL

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

BootsBoots

Re: Abstract Art Deco

Very pretty. Nice textures too.

Fujiko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fujiko

I can't even put a finger on it, but there's something I find strangely compelling about this design.

+1. Nice work.

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: 88 Steps (v2)

I wouldn't wear this, but, I do think this is at least a little closer to art deco than your other entry.

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

BootsBoots

JustLikeYou wrote:So this is my first derby entry ever. I've been a woot lurker for quite a long time - thought I'd give it a go and get a feel for the whole "submitting an entry" thing. Look forward to participating in more!

This is really nice for your first entry. Nice colors especially.

BootsBoots

chade2001 wrote:Deco enough for you? I'm not sure either! hahah

I still don't really know what art deco is either. I'm sitting this one out. I think this design is pretty awesome though (deco or not).

rachinha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachinha
kokiri wrote:This is my second derby entry. 5 colors.

Hermes and a Vespa make art deco right?
Well I hope so, I spent the whole time thinking, "man I really nailed art deco." Critique is welcome.

He's off to deliver a message to Apollo

oh yeah. spot on

Anthony3419

DavidShenoda wrote:I like this, even though it is more noveau-ish, but who cares. The fact that woot expects to be able to establish/enforce stylistic restrictions on an entire era of art. I think as long as you're not directly copying any images or icons that you're ok.

BootsBoots wrote:Very pretty. Nice textures too.

Thanks for the support. I just noticed that this made the hot list. Please keep voting..

Astolpho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Astolpho
MHBoston wrote:Why are you showing the lion on 3 backgrounds other than the lemon? People will not have a choice of shirt color.

I didn't know that. Thanks!

Anthony3419

This is pretty freakin cool!

rachinha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachinha
Re: Chess (on brown)

this is fantastic. one of the few designs i'd wear in this derby. well done!

Anthony3419

Re: GO, train

Wow! That's all I can say...Wow! +1