dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
Re: Coming to you in 2013

The shirt color chose itself.

An art deco poster for the Freedom Tower.

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen
Re: 88 Steps (v2)

This design fits the theme a lot better Ramyb (though I'd probably buy both haha). I'm not sure what StormInk's problem is but I find myself looking forward to what you submit each week. Your submissions, along with many other artists here, have inspired me to work on my artistic side through these derbies and I hope you'll continue producing great shirts

nrarmen

Re: I'm in Miami...

Very cool. Great colors. I'm not sure if it's Art Deco but I think it's awesome :D

yogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogs

First thing that came to mind with the theme was - South Beach...Ocean Drive...Art Deco Architectural Haven, lemme figure something out with that. Hope you like.

View Larger Picture

yogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogs
nrarmen wrote:Very cool. Great colors. I'm not sure if it's Art Deco but I think it's awesome :D

Thanks. I have a feeling that the whole "art deco" theme is gonna have a lot of controversy this week. I am just going with what little I know of South Beach architecture. BTW, your fricken dino design makes me laugh every time I see it.

gsworks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsworks
Fujiko wrote:I can't even put a finger on it, but there's something I find strangely compelling about this design.

It's really a powerful image. For me it conjures up thoughts of both the bomber and those who receive them. Heavy stuff indeed!
Excellent work!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Foo228 wrote:Why is it that most of tgentry's work is a regurgitation of past stuff? I admit - he's got some creativity, but I think this is overdoing it. The guy with the lips each week (kenney, afaik) at least keeps it entertaining, this is just insulting.

It's so passé to hate on TGentry. Everyone's moved on to Ramy now. Didn't you get the memo?

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Andy47240 wrote:My fav of the derby so far. Colors are great.

I think this is my favorite too.

wallyrit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wallyrit
Re: Decobot Discovers Love

At least decobot is not being attacked by aircraft as was poor Kong.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

Very nice design!

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit

Nice solute to the past, present and future. GMV

databit

Wow the colors... nice. It has a Mami Vice feel to it too.

databit

Re: Clockwork deco frog V3

I really like this. Great design! To the fog with you!

chunkydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
Re: Leaving Metropolis

This shirt is inspired by a poster from the 1927 film, by Fritz Lang, METROPOLIS.

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Art Deco Armadillo

Nice layout! Not sure it looks like an armadillo though. I still like it.

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
Sakumi wrote:Nice and classy

Thank you.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

annekaelber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annekaelber
Re: Art Deco - Chess

I'm clueless when it comes to drawing, but could I suggest.... remove one of the two colors of the chess squares and let the shirt color be the second color square. That might help it be less "busy" and draw in the eye to the really excellent chess figures!

Anne.

Anne Kaelber
www.diregiraffe.com
Home of the SAWS+ Character Sheets

DirkDDarring

SydneyB wrote:Lovely!! I'd wear this for sure!

Thank you I'm glad you like it.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist

Anthony3419

Re: The Messenger

You executed a great idea. Good job!

DirkDDarring

Anthony3419 wrote:Great use of space for your design. +1

Thank you very much.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist

NinjaStorm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NinjaStorm
Re: JURASSIC PARK IS MY MOM

Haha, I can't believe this survived 24 hours. I would totally get one.

Anthony3419

Re: USSR-Gyle

Very Cool. I like the texture..

DirkDDarring

avhienda01 wrote:Can you post a larger image so we can see the detail better? I like the way it looks, but I'd also like to have a better look.

I will post more on monday I forgot to put it on my flash drive. Thanks for the support.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist

mfbassplayer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfbassplayer
Re: Leaving Metropolis

I like this design but the upper right ray is throwing me off. I think it's cause everyother one is either straight vertical or horizontal and that one is angled. Other than that, Good Job!

Yaaaaaaawn. I'm bored.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
emoj0388 wrote:Because it's directly from one!
http://www.shipboard.info/blog/archives/L%27Atlantique.jpg

An awesome reimagining of it though. I originally thought that the poster was supposed to be the Lusitania, hence the submarine, but I love this shirt. GMV.

I did use an online reference, but that wasn't it. Sorry! Extra points if you can find the one I really used.

jewelwing

Re: Caught in the Waves

This is great. It "feels" like deco. A lot of other designs used deco shapes and all, but they didn't get it. They're ok technically but they missed the feeling of the time. This one got it.

jewelwing

Re: I Dream of Gears

Well done, but still more drakxxx than deco.

chunkydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
mfbassplayer wrote:I like this design but the upper right ray is throwing me off. I think it's cause everyother one is either straight vertical or horizontal and that one is angled. Other than that, Good Job!

Thanks for the comment, and now looking at it, I have to agree with you. Since I don´´t have any expectations in winning, if I decide to use this design again in the future, I´ll take that into consideration.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy

Wow!!!

nrarmen

yogs wrote:

nrarmen

Re: Sunshine

Very cool

migafre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages migafre
Re: Classic Kong

I'd want one cause I work in the Empire State building and think it'd be cool :P

gizagiza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza
DavidShenoda wrote:Sorry about that I made the shirt comp on my lunch break and had to hurry, but basically placement is to left extending across chest top other side of the printable area. I would post another example to show you, but I am out of town for the weekend. Thanks for looking/voting though!

Cool, I get the idea. Thanks! GMV!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
re: clockwork deco frog v3

New hotness, awesome!
Thanx all, spread the word.

Foo228

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foo228
Re: Spicing Things Up a Bit

@ tgentry: First off, I used a hyperbole (an exaggeration) in my initial statement to get your attention. The main reason for my criticism, though, is that among the derbyists (especially the winners) you seem to be up there often and so the shirts you design have a lasting impression among people (at least a week long from the derby stats/new hotness). Since the eskimos you used seem to be too reminiscent of those of cho's iced tea and your own previous work, it seems like a lack of effort on your part. Hate to say it, but people expect more out of those normally at the top (ala you, take it as a compliment and a critique). No breaks, unfortunately. (Look at how people treat LeBron when he doesn't shine). For what it's worth, I think you're full of creativity – Henry the Fourths (my personal favorite) among a wealth of other great shirts. Ironically, this wasn't the entry that was “Spicing Things Up a Bit,” but you've done that many times and hopefully continue to do so.

@ BootsBoots: Actually had to look up that word up, thanks for expanding my vocab (I'm being serious, in case you couldn't tell). Actually fits the last book I read, The Natural, perfectly.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Bomb Deco

Asphalt?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce

Nicely done, drakxxx. I especially love the birds!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Sakumi wrote:I'm a fan of your designs, but on this one I question placement.

For me I would have preferred the image to be smaller, and centered, or right aligned.

Nice art work as usual

Really, I have a fan? Wow. You need to comment more often (especially when I'm getting discouraged from lack of votes and feedback)...thank you!

I originally had it the way you mentioned above, so now especially I'm considering an alternate version, also possibly with a different color scheme - perhaps a contrasting one like blue and yellow. Any thoughts? (from Sakumi or anyone else too).

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ramyb wrote:Honestly though, this design really is as far as I've gotten from the types of designs that I've submitted before, but the same people who have been complaining continue to complain on my thread. There are plenty of designs that are just entirely off topic with no attempt to follow the theme at all, and there are even designs with cute animals, but my thread is still the one that garners the most the complaints.

Because your design is in the fog and is probably going to get printed, giving you $1,000 more for not following the theme. This is not art deco. And whomever said above that art is what you make it or whatever, true, but when there is a specific theme to follow, you can't put a stick figure up and say, "Look! It's realism." This is not art deco. I appreciate the 8 hours of work but that doesn't mean it deserves to be printed. Wait until there's a machine derby or something like that. 8 hours of work and almost fits the theme ("but there are others who don't fit the theme at all") does not justify submitting it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Shpleeurnck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shpleeurnck
Re: Get on the Mike

This one better win or I have no faith in shirt.woot anymore.