marypuppe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marypuppe

I LOVE this color palette, and I really dig the sketchy style.

I'm not sure about the content. It's very pretty, but a little odd....still, I like it better and better.

Now I'm going to go look at your past submissions.

I'm picky, I just don't always express it

Vote on Threadless!:

marypuppe

Re: Sublime In All

Oh! YOU'RE the one who did that other Firefly.

I loved that composition.

I'll be watching for you!

Vote on Threadless!:

marypuppe

Re: 88 Steps (v2)

You get 1,000,000,000,000 points for actually having 88 keys on that piano!

(Yes, I counted)

Vote on Threadless!:

marypuppe

Re: Sunshine

Generally not my thing, but....

for some reason I really love this.

Voted.

Vote on Threadless!:

kandiiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kandiiz
Stormink wrote:Wow. And you wonder why people always talk about how you output multiple horrible designs. What the hell are the circles doing there? It looks like stock art or clip art. Seriously. Stick to one design a week please and don't further prove everyone's point that you just mass produce junk for these contests.

Sorry if anyone else thinks this is too harsh, but I'm sick of seeing Ramyb consistently pouring out tons of junk designs each week when none of the designs are at a decent level of completion.

then don't look at them? no one's forcing you to look at any of the designs and if you see something you don't like, just don't vote. there's no need to be so bitter and nasty.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Spicing Things Up a Bit

great twist on the theme tgentry! really love the illustration. only crit would be the shadow on the person on the left (probably should be behind her)... but regardless, this should and probably will print.

and your range as an illustrator is unmatched on this site... which is greatly appreciated after seeing so much of the same thing every week.

kandiiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kandiiz
Sakumi wrote:I agree.

This is definitely not art deco in the slightest, but still an awesome design. I say lock this one away for a "travel" theme, or "hand drawn" theme or something..

:P i guess it shows that i actually haven't a grasp of what art deco entails..

i just sort of took off with the idea of perspective and geometric shapes.

marypuppe

Dezrox wrote:Yeah, the original Batman was set in the '20s and '30s, smack dab in the middle of the Art Deco period. That, and the fact that Gotham city was almost directly modeled after New York, which at the time had a predominantly Art Deco skyline.

I always thought Gotham was Chicago and Metropolis was New York?

Guess I was wrong. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_City)

It was PARTLY modeled after Chicago and Baltimore, but mostly New York.

And Metropolis was originally made after Toronto.

Anyway....

[/Random Useless Nerd Trivia]

Vote on Threadless!:

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
Re: I'm in Miami...

this is really great! the scene just jumps at you. awesoem work!

gone!

cbelk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbelk
Re: I Dream of Gears

This is not Art Deco.

cbelk

Re: Abstract Art Deco (black)

This is not Art Deco at all, abstract or not.
Cool design, but not Art Deco.

cbelk

Re: Abstract Art Deco

This is not Art Deco, this is Nouveau. It doesn't fit the theme, whats with all the votes?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Re: The Messenger

I definately like the design, though I'm asphalted out. Cranberry or Lemon could have been cool.

CaboLH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaboLH
Sakumi wrote:I liked the design til I saw the robot. Maybe just try a standalone UFO design?

Agree, lose the bot.

cbelk

Re: The Wings of Ra a la' Deco...

This shirt is cool, but is NOT ART DECO!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Re: DecoDog with the Works

Lovely.

I think I'll go to Costco now for a dog and a drink.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
BootsBoots wrote:I think this is my favorite too.

Thanks for the support on this design everyone! I was not sure how this weeks was going to go... its an unpredictable theme.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
snarkygal wrote:Very good work, but this version doesn't look as hellish as the other.

True, but I think this is about as Deco as I could ever make it. When this derby is over, I might un-skullify the train to make it pure AD and submit it elsewhere.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
marypuppe wrote:You get 1,000,000,000,000 points for actually having 88 keys on that piano!

(Yes, I counted)

I wouldn't have it any other way

cbelk

Re: Construct

This design, while neat, is most definitely NOT Art Deco. Do people vote on derby designs simply because they are cool here? Or is there actually any oversight? An ART DECO competition should have ART DECO designs.

cbelk

wallyrit wrote:The overwhelming majority of the submissions to this derby do not even begin to approach art deco. But then, who is to judge? This entry may not be exactly within the rules of the genre, but it certainly is true to the spirit in a futuristic sort of way.

Who is to judge? We are! Thats why we have a "tattle" button. If it's not Art Deco it shouldn't be here!

cbelk

Re: Kaeru

You must be kidding..

margybee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages margybee
Re: Spicing Things Up a Bit

All right, I'm what you'd call a lurker. I follow this site pretty closely, but I'm not one to comment often.

I have to say, though, that this design is one of the few I've seen that I wanted immediately. Your take on the theme is creative and unique, and frankly, I don't see why anyone has a problem with it. The artwork itself is beautifully done -- subtle and lovely.

I look forward to your work every week, and you should know that I'm never disappointed. Thank you for your consistently top-notch submissions!

cbelk

Re: Mercury

Great Design! It's nice to see you, as well as a few others here actually know what Art Deco is.

Well Done, has my vote.

DarkChii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarkChii
Ivyness wrote:agreed.

Aye, I agree as well.

cbelk

Re: Fallen Giant

Great design, fits the Art Deco theme well!

roselenasz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roselenasz

I really love this shirt and the whole design. I also love the color palette!
There's a little bit for everybody's taste... don't worry about nasty comments!

n0izmkr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n0izmkr
Re: Get on the Mike

I need this shirt. Really. Seriously. Need this shirt.

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
Re: Bomb Deco

The roundel dates the plane to sometime between 1943 and 1947. However, the roundel is on the wrong wing. One roundel per wing, one above and one below. Maybe the painters at the factory got confused with this one? It looks like a B-17 but the fuselage is too long ahead of the wing and the horizontal stabilizers are much smaller. The bombs appear to be torpedoes without the rear propeller; they don't have the distinctive teardrop shape of US or RAF aerial bombs. It does resemble a "cluster bomb" in shape, but I can't match it in any of my books.

Regardless, this is an epic scene. I don't want anyone to get flack from a WWII vet!

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
cbelk wrote:You must be kidding..

Nope... I think it is cute. I had it sitting on the harddrive from a project a while back.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
cbelk wrote:Who is to judge? We are! Thats why we have a "tattle" button. If it's not Art Deco it shouldn't be here!

I've said it before and I'll say it again- woot's writeup says: "Splash some stylized geometrical cool onto a t-shirt that embodies all the aerodynamic modernism of the '20s and '30s"- and I feel that I did just that. You can feel free to disagree and I'm not going to try to change your mind, it's ultimately up to you what you want to do or think, but I'm just explaining that I think that this picture belongs in this derby, and that's why I did it and why I posted it.

And thanks to everyone who likes the design and voted.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: Deco Boxes

Inspired by many posters and stamps I have come across in learning about art deco for this derby. This is a tough derby, and I hope my 2 entries have kept with the spirit of this derby.

Thanks in advance to anyone who votes for this submission!

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Shpleeurnck wrote:This one better win or I have no faith in shirt.woot anymore.

Thanks. And, put out the word!

striker138

Re: Deco Boxes

On a side note, this is the first entry I have ever gotten both the shirt comp and design detail to look clean. I am learning... slowly.. but I am getting better.

kdubbs29

DavidShenoda wrote:Is this a some dude's uncle tracy reference, becasue I never read the comic? I get that vibe from it.

It was not inspired by some dude's uncle Tracy, but after working on it, I couldn't help but to get the same vibe as well. I hope the perceived association is a positive and not working against me!

kdubbs29

Re: DC Deco

This issue I have with this shirt is that the reflection in the water doesn't match the skyline. Its a very creative idea. I just wonder where the line is drawn between parody and borrowing intellectual property (the batman logo).

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
striker138 wrote:On a side note, this is the first entry I have ever gotten both the shirt comp and design detail to look clean. I am learning... slowly.. but I am getting better.

hah...aren't we on the same boat! i'm not too sure about the shirt color, but i do love teh design!

gone!

striker138

chade2001 wrote:hah...aren't we on the same boat! i'm not too sure about the shirt color, but i do love teh design!

I am not 100% on the shirt color either. I was torn bewtween using a green shade or a darker blue/red color. I pretty much flipped a coin in the end and ended up with greemn.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: Bomb Deco

Nicely done you two. You have my $10 dollars and I hope this wins.

veronikaa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages veronikaa
Re: Art Deco Armadillo

it looks like a fat snake looking up with its mouth open
haha