ChokingOutTheRadio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ChokingOutTheRadio

Ayn Rand gets a negative wrap because of her hand in molding the philosophy of capitalism, but I have to say of all the books I've read, Atlas Shrugged is definately the most thought provoking and influential book on my life. Her philosophy is ultimately flawed but the core principles are values any rational person would find important to leading a justified and fulfilling life. Her mold for the ideal form of capitalism is unattainable, but that does not diminish the emphasis she places on reward through hard work and accountability.
Anyway...it's kind of hard to put in words. I'll let her do that. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand why capitalism isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

As for the shirt...yea i thought Atlas Shrugged as soon as I saw it and it is definately art deco. GMV.

KidGrenouille

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KidGrenouille
SavedChristian wrote:This isn't art deco.

No, my style isn't Art Deco. But the subject is -- it's Lee Lawrie's Atlas at Rockefeller Center, enjoying a much-needed stretch between shifts.

RadicalPrefect

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RadicalPrefect
Re: The Rabbit's Weird Dream

Very awesome. You've definitely got my support.

lunartan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
FuzzyCircles wrote:So do you get quality posts by bashing people's designs like that kitty dude...or by defending your designs like ramyb has been trying to do?

are you dyslexic?

kyle mittskus != kitty

assuming quality post ratings are given for adding something valid to a thread; for which neither of our posts qualify...

i like the tripe: saves me $ and makes for interesting boards.

erhii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erhii

UFOs sans robot here:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=29536

Sakumi wrote:I liked the design til I saw the robot. Maybe just try a standalone UFO design?

Hutif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hutif
Re: The Musician

Huh... Well that's... Yea...

gsworks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsworks
Re: You are the agent of change (resub)

Cool design and excellent message. It reminds me of a Ghandi quote, "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."

The earlier version of this was pretty cool too. I liked the darker tone it had.

JCPenelope87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCPenelope87
Re: Clockwork deco frog V3

This is much much better without the box. Good job!

spike109u

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spike109u
Re: Old-fashioned Drive-By

It's a nice design, but it bothers me that the perspective of the car doesn't match that of the building.

swhorl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages swhorl
MadamAtom wrote:I'm not sure the skyline works, and I can't deal with the underwear waves.

But I adore what's going on in her hair.

Really torn here ...

Yeah, the skyline is distracting. Love the figure.

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Spicing Things Up a Bit

Since Fable's was rejected for not being Deco, I'm going to post my "defense" of why I feel this one on topic:

The whole concept of the shirt revolves around the deco style as the subject, it's crafting, and the contrast between the plain design of the igloos and the ornateness of deco. In addition the similarities between the two styles use of simple geometric shapes make them combine well while still being opposites, something that wouldn't work with just any art style picked at random. I believe it is very much on topic, just in a different context than what many expected going into the derby, and one that was in no way forbid by the contest rules.

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
supersonic213 wrote:As beautiful as this is, I'm not sure it's going to be "deco" enough for a print. Great submission though! Love the shades of blue on the asphalt.

Thanks.....

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Old Old Old Old Skool

Brown on Black and Black on Brown rarely show up well on woot shirts. As it is, I can't really see any details on the thumbnail unless I get close to the screen - meaning less than a foot away.

eag01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eag01
Re: Construct

Man, it's like every week your designs get bashed Ramyb. I love your designs and usually buy them. Keep up the good work!

rowanmikaio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanmikaio
michaelwiggins wrote:Are you trying to appeal to Wooters' apparent love for Communism, as previously established with "Dinosaurs Who Are Communist For Some Reason"?

:P

Don't forget the love of bad puns (or good puns, depending on your perspective).

tgentry

Staff

Re: You are the agent of change (resub)

Undervoted! Really awesome color choices. I liked it before without the birds and moon, but they don't take anything away from this version. HM this bad boy at the very least!

tnkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tnkitty

I LOVE the design, but to me it would look better on a different color shirt. Maybe dark gray?

Irrelevant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Bomb Deco

love the design. perfectly done for a shirt layout, imo.

sadly for me, i think aa's ashpalt shirts are the worst one's available. any other color and this would have certainly gmv. as it stands, i wouldn't wear the shirt, and couldn't see buying it for just the design as art, so i must refrain in fairness.

the button does in fact say "i'd want one" and not "vote if you think the design should be printed", and unfortunately, because of my disdain for the asphalt shirt, i don't want one.

drats.

CaboLH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaboLH
sleepingin wrote:Alright, here is the second version of my design. I have cleaned up the small distracting lines. Hope you all like it!

Also, I wanted to delete my first version from the derby, but there is no little red X to click. So I dunno, any suggestions? I guess it'll just stay up for now.

Much cleaner design. Good luck.

Ojoya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ojoya

[quote postid="3070093" user="treebirdoctopus"]If you paste the code below into your sig and replace any curly brackets ({) with square brackets ([) it should work. Hope that helps!]

Thank you SO much!! :-)

tgentry

Staff

Irrelevant wrote:love the design. perfectly done for a shirt layout, imo.

sadly for me, i think aa's ashpalt shirts are the worst one's available. any other color and this would have certainly gmv. as it stands, i wouldn't wear the shirt, and couldn't see buying it for just the design as art, so i must refrain in fairness.

the button does in fact say "i'd want one" and not "vote if you think the design should be printed", and unfortunately, because of my disdain for the asphalt shirt, i don't want one.

drats.

I agree about the gray, it kind of drains these colors of some of their life. Navy might have added some extra pop. But I would definitely still sport it so it gets my vote. I like your voting principles though.

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
cbelk wrote:This shirt is cool, but is NOT ART DECO!

Well, we're very fortunate to live in a country where we can express our opinions freely.

Ohhhh, say can you Seeeeeeeeee...

Oops, sorry about that. I can get a little patriotic sometimes.

Like I have said all through diff posts on this derby, a derby theme is already pretty subjective, so to give a theme that is inherently subjective (open to interpretation) with instructions that call you to interpret again in your own way, is asking for complaints about being outside of the theme.

sushihorsie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sushihorsie
Re: Sunshine

This is gorgeous GMV! lol i submitted an earthy sunshiny one too

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: See, Hear, Speak!

Mandrills have deco noses.

Jackofallgames

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jackofallgames
Irrelevant wrote: sadly for me, i think aa's ashpalt shirts are the worst one's available. any other color and this would have certainly gmv. as it stands, i wouldn't wear the shirt, and couldn't see buying it for just the design as art, so i must refrain in fairness.

drats.

I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people post their dislike of asphalt shirts whenever one is in a derby. Is it purely a color thing? I can understand if it is. After all, while I think a very dark gray looks good with the right design, I don't think you could ever get me to buy a yellow shirt, no matter how cool the design was.

I'm only asking because I want to know if there's a quality issue with AA's asphalt shirts or is it simply color preference.

Player of all. Master of none.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Jackofallgames wrote:I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people post their dislike of asphalt shirts whenever one is in a derby. Is it purely a color thing? I can understand if it is. After all, while I think a very dark gray looks good with the right design, I don't think you could ever get me to buy a yellow shirt, no matter how cool the design was.

I'm only asking because I want to know if there's a quality issue with AA's asphalt shirts or is it simply color preference.

Colour preference, I believe. I haven't noticed any difference in quality between my asphalt shirts and the other colours.

Note that many people aren't for asphalt designs simply because they already have a bunch of asphalt shirts from woot - from the last batch of statistics I've seen, asphalt is the most commonly printed colour here at woot. Orange is the rarest, if anyone is keeping score.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
DavidShenoda wrote:Well, we're very fortunate to live in a country where we can express our opinions freely.

Ohhhh, say can you Seeeeeeeeee...

Oops, sorry about that. I can get a little patriotic sometimes.

Like I have said all through diff posts on this derby, a derby theme is already pretty subjective, so to give a theme that is inherently subjective (open to interpretation) with instructions that call you to interpret again in your own way, is asking for complaints about being outside of the theme.

I don't know what part of "art deco" is subjective. It seems pretty specific to me. I'm also not sure that you understand opinion... so if I made something in the style of Dali, and someone said "that's not art deco," that would be opinion if I thought otherwise? because that seems to be your response.

gsworks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsworks

Baboons, jet-packs, how can you go wrong?!
I dig it!

KrisW105

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KrisW105
Re: Get on the Mike

I'm really rooting for this one. Nice design....Wonder what it would look like on a black shirt though?...

Tabernack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack

WOO I snuggled up my shirt detail submission go me

zewkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zewkin
fablefire wrote:Guess I get to put the copters in.

Or how about a cool submarine. Should be able to get a nice deco look out of a submarine.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard

well done

mjwii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjwii

Hey! This one is awesome? Why the rejection?

fablefire

quality posts: 18 Private Messages fablefire
zewkin wrote:Or how about a cool submarine. Should be able to get a nice deco look out of a submarine.

Ooo... could all be underwater...

koronae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae

Though this is much better than many designs I've seen from you, it still doesn't really fit the theme. Definitely isn't Art Deco.

This was supposed to be a comment on the design Ramyb submitted. I think I may have accidentally posted it in the wrong place, sorry about that. <3

amiricolblue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amiricolblue
Re: First spaceship to venus

this shirt rocks!

ZombieGorilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZombieGorilla
Re: Construct

I am torn. Visually, I really like this, and is something I would wear. But as has been said before, it really doesn't fit the theme. (in my opinion). Beautiful work though.

I don't feel I can vote for it, but should it win, I will buy one.

ZG.

johnandlandry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnandlandry
eag01 wrote:Man, it's like every week your designs get bashed Ramyb. I love your designs and usually buy them. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, it's almost as if he does a piss-poor job on a weekly basis...

>.<

SarahPants5

quality posts: 6 Private Messages SarahPants5
Re: Flight of the Red Balloon

Wow, really beautiful. I really like it, although I dunno about it being on black. Still GMV.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: Get on the Mike

This shirt NEEDS to make it!!! this is THE best submission so far!! how can the igloo shirt can not beat this one out! i too will loose all faith in shirt.woot if this shirt is not made!!!! im tired of all the cutesy shirts wining the derbys!! i want more cool shirts like this one dang it!!!!