kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
benjaminleebates wrote:Well, we'll see. Last week, mythbusters and I think one other shirt came in near the top and they weren't posted unitl sunday or monday, i believe. Spread the word, I would love a win. And I love the design. I think I am getting better.

I think I posted my Mythbusters shirt Friday night.

Megaz04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Megaz04
Re: Blast Off

Not sure if this is Buck Rogers in the 24th Century, or Flash Gordon!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Blast Off

I'd like it better if the sunburst was a reddish orange. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

ttdesigns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns
Megaz04 wrote:Not sure if this is Buck Rogers in the 24th Century, or Flash Gordon!

I see it more as Flash Gordon myself.

friarbuck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages friarbuck
re: recycle deco

Groovy Shirt, I like it!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: You are the agent of change (resub)

Have I mentioned I'd woot this?

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: My Kicks

This reminds me of: Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo!

KUClerks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: My Kicks

I kept having to shrink it, but there aren't any gradients. This is my interpretation of art deco (furturistic, geometric, streamline). I didn't go to art school.

Anthony3419

Re: Deco Cone

Awesome idea!

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
no1 wrote:the quote appearing in your blog says from France "and those from countries directly influenced by France." Arguably this includes every country in the world.

Yeah, I know... but I kept harping on that for the absurdity of it because there are so many definitions of what Art Deco is. They are so varied that one of them even says it has to be from France or a country influenced by France as you say.

Good catch.. I think you just saved every entry here since that definition actually does include every country in the world. Unless there is an entry you are rooting for that actually IS from France. Then we can disquaify every other one. Depends on your definition.

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
dramallama56 wrote:Oh tgentry, you are a round-ish thing, um, ah... of complete awesome genius. This shirt free the weasels.

Hahahaha! The filters sure did a number on this one... but translated back to the original statement, I'll agree ^_^

KUClerks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
Re: Blast Off (Resub)

Lets try this again. Will the other 10 people who already voted, vote again please

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Much better!

^_______________^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Patchitect

Flash Gordon, Eat your heart out!

lmkmcg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmkmcg
Re: The Rabbit's Weird Dream

I love this one. It's cute but not in that overly fluffy way.

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
Re: 88 Steps (v2)

My guess on the circles would be that they're an attempt to add geometric ornamentation... which was one description of what art deco was about. I'm not at all claiming to be an expert on deco, but from the non-expert view, I can see where Ramyb (who I believe said himself that he didn't really know anything about deco before this) could think that this was getting closer to the theme. Whether it is or not, I can't say, but I do think I can see the attempt. Do I think they look strange? Sure, but I can appreciate why they're there (of course, only ramyb can say for sure what he was thinking... I may be way off base).

In any case, this design is close but no cigar for me. I love the concept of the piano (and the 88 keys!), love the guy at the top. But somehow it doesn't all come together for me. I wish this design came in some other derby, when it wasn't trying to fit the deco theme.

[By the way, I'm still really upset that The Open Sea didn't print!! Just throwing that out there ^_^ ]

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Jazz

Thanks to those who made suggestions!

veemon147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veemon147
Re: ...with the World on his shoulders.

This was the first shirt I voted for in this derby and the one I want most. Win, damn you!

valerio69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valerio69
Re: Grunge Deco

not art deco, but an interesting design.Hope you can reuse it when it would fit the catagory better

Anthony3419

I still like your halftones....

leetsteevo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leetsteevo

VOTE PEOPLE VOTE

i want to wear this on my hairy chest!

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Irrelevant wrote:finally!

now THIS is art deco.

well done.

My thoughts exactly! And I'll add that I really like this. The placement is so good. Everyone does wide designs with a center placement. Then a few rebels started doing skinny designs with side placement. But a skinny design in the center? I think that might actually be something new! I like it, and I'd wear it.

gizagiza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza

I really love this, but I wish it were on a shirt other than baby blue... in my opinion, that color is overused. Regarding the design itself, beautiful.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Anthony3419 wrote:Umm....The title simply states "Abstract" Art Deco. Did you get it? ABSTRACT.....Thanks for your simpleton comment..

You can't say that something is abstract _______ as a justification for it being _______. (Insert whatever art movement you want in the blanks.) His comment was not simpleton (that is the wrong usage of the word, by the way). His comment was justified.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

HarlequinHeart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HarlequinHeart
Re: Raven Dark

This is really cool! I love those Ravens unusual topic so of course I like that . Nice job on the design and colors. You got my vote!

P.S. Forgot to mention this reminds me of a lot of the jewelry from that time period.

tdpatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdpatch
Re: Old City Cyborg

I really hope this makes it to the top. Would love to have this shirt.

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
tricityladytn wrote:I love this and all its art deco glory!!!

Thank you TriCityLady!

a2theharris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a2theharris
databit wrote:What is Art Deco then? I looked it up on the Internet and came up with a lot of differences in the definition from one source to another? Did you know you are not supposed to refer to designs as Art Deco unless they originate from France? Well By One definition this is true. I looked at some of the rejected entries and gave my take on them and also found a common factor between them. You can read about it on the blog... It is far to long winded (IT IS LONG) to post here.

That was a nice exercise in futility. What matters is what Woot says. They're pulling a classic George W. Bushism, "I'm the decider" regardless of the empirical reality to the contrary of their opinion. I won't give woot anymore free labor now that they sucked all the fun right out of the process. there's plenty of suckers out there more desperate than I am. Spec work is generally looked down on by real designers and illustrators. See what the AIGA has to say about t-shirt contests. I think it's okay when you give folks some creative latitude in exchange for not paying them. But when you make draconian mandates about it fitting into your ill defined whimsy, then you crossed the line into being more of a parasite than a legitimate opportunity.

Why would I say such a thing if I went along with it? They give a pass to their money makers like tgentry and ramy who clearly didn't fit any academic definition of art deco but they canned mine which was directly inspired by the most iconic art deco relief sculpture on one of the most art deco buildings in the most art deco cities of America: Rockefeller Plaza in NY. Okay. I get the memo, 6 rejections in a row for all kinds of fustilarian reasons. I guess I'm just not welcome in this club.

HarlequinHeart

Re: Saturn

I really like this Data. I think your submit pic maybe should be more eye catching. Just a helpful little hint... reason I say this is that I did not even catch this entry until now. So, I found it finally and you got my vote cause it's cool! You did your wife's Saturn proud!

Stellardig

Re: Get on the Mike

Well Designed! Perfect in every way. Simple, Easy, & DECO!! GMV

Stellardig

Re: I Dream of Gears

Hey Drakxxx,

Really Cool Design! Great work on the details. GMV

HarlequinHeart

Re: Spilling Stained Glass

I don't know. I like the color of the shirt you picked. Accents the green really well and I like the placement too so... two thumbs up from me

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Deco Cone

Kong is gonna need some dessert!

HarlequinHeart

Re: Flying Aces

Well Done! Totally wearable shirt but you are also pulling on my animal loving strings here you know. ;)

Stellardig

Re: Cresent Cranes

Hey Harlequin,

THIS DESIGN IS SO AWESOME! I like it a lot! I'm kinda surprised that it's not in the fog. This designs deserves a lot more recognition! This is Straight Up ART DECO!!! I hope you make it.

Patchitect

Re: Grunge Deco

Thanks on the halftones, sweet texture on this one. GMV

Frangipwn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Frangipwn
Re: Seahorses

I liked this shirt. Alot. Too bad it got rejected.

The original Frangi.

Tabernack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
jewelwing wrote:My thoughts exactly! And I'll add that I really like this. The placement is so good. Everyone does wide designs with a center placement. Then a few rebels started doing skinny designs with side placement. But a skinny design in the center? I think that might actually be something new! I like it, and I'd wear it.

Wow thanks! I'm kinda shocked people are enjoying it at all even given this is my first derby. Hopefully oneday I'll see it make the top three.

jimmyfru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyfru
HarlequinHeart wrote:This is really cool! I love those Ravens unusual topic so of course I like that . Nice job on the design and colors. You got my vote!

P.S. Forgot to mention this reminds me of a lot of the jewelry from that time period.

Thanks so Much!!!!!!! do you have any designs in this derby?