icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Sunshine

Nicely done. I like

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
tgentry wrote:Thanks Wiz! I have a feeling the male figure killed it. Put a lady in and it would have done much better I think. Not a lot of dudes on shirts here at woot. I think I caught that core problem while I was submitting and just didn't have time to go back to redo it.

No prob. The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. I feel like (though I haven't particularly taken an art history class, or anything) that males were more dominantly portrayed in art deco times, so your choice may have been correct.. alas, when does political correctness work at Woot, where communist dinosaur t-shirts sell out!

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

Hola! Ok, the compression on this horrendous! This design is inspired by Art Deco style graphic design... like magazine art and/or poster art.

Hope you enjoy it!

CHECK OUT A HIGH RES COMP AT MY BLOG!

spanishmel

This is great work and deserves to be in the top! It is truly deco and the egyptian theme is cool and very chic!

HarlequinHeart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HarlequinHeart
Re: Cat's Pajamas

Holy Guacamole! I love this shirt!!!! I want it, I want it, I want it!!!!

spanishmel

I thought for sure when I logged on today I would find this in the fog. Darn it all!

I really want this shirt!

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
ramyb wrote:ramy says lots of things

I appreciate your candor and defense of your design, so I'll put in a few words about my feelings about the design's merits and possibly echo the sentiments of others on why this doesn't so much fit the theme of art deco.

In my opinion, art deco brings up visions of big, clunky machinery, solid shapes, and a stripping down of a detailed design to simplistic essentials of shape and shading.

In your design, you do have gears, but to a futuristic design, with what seems to be circuitry running through them -- to which I have to reference the original post (as you like to do), which regards Nintendo as a point of interest about including futuristic items in your design as subject matter. I wouldn't really have a huge problem with the 3D gears either, if they were stylized in a way that have made me think of art deco, but they make me think of a 3D modeling program and the effect of having the gears in the first place is lost. The gradient background is kind of neat, but it seems like it's just there for the heck of it, really.

Do I think it's a neat design? Yes - I may even make the full comp into a background for my iPhone. But does it tie to art deco? Personally, I think it's stretching to say the least. I admire your defense of it, but I think if you're going to hold tight to the original post as your reasoning, it has just enough in there to also poke a hole in the lifeboat it created for you.

Now, speaking of art deco.. I'm going to go play Bioshock.

dijin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin
Re: Abstract Art Deco

I thought it might have been a pucker design from the thumbnail. lol

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
AdderXYU wrote:Been waiting for that since early '08.

I've been waiting for the past six months or so myself.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

oddlyjen

quality posts: 25 Private Messages oddlyjen
goodedesign wrote:amen. i would almost buy this one.

I *would* buy this one. It's beautifully awesome.

linkszelda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkszelda
cobolisdead wrote:Neat. It kind of reminds me of the Japanese flag though.

reminded me of the flag, too. but i think the stripes like that fit the style and design.

byrbwr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

tom cruise would like this.

linkszelda

Re: Cresent Cranes

reminds me of the old-school lounges that used to be popular way back when. i've always loved the design they'd have as their logos, and i love this!

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
Re: You are the agent of change (resub)

WOW This shirt is so for me!!!!!! GMV!!!

I once ate a cricket.

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Robo Deco

Neat. Too bad it's outside of the printable area.

Anthony3419

dijin wrote:I thought it might have been a pucker design from the thumbnail. lol

Yeah, I can see that now...

linkszelda

Re: Art Deco Armadillo

took me a little while to find the armadillo. not something i'd wear, but definitely an interesting concept and design.

only bad thing is that when i look at it smaller (or as someone standing away from it) it looks like a martian/space helmet.

Smilevampy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smilevampy
Re: Tourist

Whyyyyy was this rejected?

Chrysler Building = Deco.
Even if the squid does not.

I would've bought this, too. :-(

tjonesutd87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjonesutd87
Re: Robo Deco

I had no idea there was a printable area, I didn't see anything about it in the technical specs.

tjonesutd87

Anthony3419 wrote:Neat. Too bad it's outside of the printable area.

I had no idea, didn't see anything about it in the technical specs :'(

linkszelda

Re: 88 Steps (v2)

very nice design. in for 2 if you win, and it's more on topic than your other one imo.

i saw comments about an earlier version on red, but i think black suits the piano's classic feel better. good choice in change!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
wizard7926 wrote:In your design, you do have gears, but to a futuristic design, with what seems to be circuitry running through them -- to which I have to reference the original post (as you like to do), which regards Nintendo as a point of interest about including futuristic items in your design as subject matter.

I believe the purpose in including that remark was to try to stop people from doing nintendo reference shirts as opposed to stopping people from doing futuristic designs (although I may be wrong). Again, I appreciate that everyone has their own opinion of what should be considered on-theme, but I just wanted to explain my own reasoning in doing the entry, which I believe is also the reason that it is still in the derby, much to the chagrin of many of the posters on this thread (although, like I said, woot may still be deliberating and planning to reject this entry, and it is entirely their right to do so, just as it's my right to try my hand at some adaptation of the theme and hope for the best)- And while you may disagree that it's on theme, I'm glad at least that you enjoyed the design

Anthony3419

tjonesutd87 wrote:I had no idea, didn't see anything about it in the technical specs :'(

Yeah, its basically 16" X 20". Take a look at the designs in the top 10 or so and that will give you an idea of what the area is.
Hope that helps.

tjonesutd87

Anthony3419 wrote:Neat. Too bad it's outside of the printable area.

I see what you are saying now, the pdf template I downloaded didn't have that box in the center, but apparently the psd file does. I've seen winners before that have been placed outside of that box though.
???

Anthony3419

tjonesutd87 wrote:I see what you are saying now, the pdf template I downloaded didn't have that box in the center, but apparently the psd file does. I've seen winners before that have been placed outside of that box though.
???

If it's close to the area they will let it slide and just reduce it before printing. I Think..

tjonesutd87

Anthony3419 wrote:If it's close to the area they will let it slide and just reduce it before printing. I Think..

Ok, so I probably don't need to resubmit it then huh?

Thanks for your help, this is obviously my first time submitting and I am still figuring everything out.

tjonesutd87

Re: Grunge Deco

Great shirt, I am definitely voting :]

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: The Rabbit's Weird Dream

Back in the fog! Alright!

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

Anthony3419

tjonesutd87 wrote:Ok, so I probably don't need to resubmit it then huh?

Thanks for your help, this is obviously my first time submitting and I am still figuring everything out.

No, re-sub it just make it inside the printable area. This one is way outside.

ramyb

akumachan wrote:i'm just posting to agree with everyone else. This design is spectacular.

I really wish it was in the fog.

great job!

I'm sure it will be soon (and deservingly)

:D

Anthony3419

Looks like you will be in the fog by sun rise!
Good Job. It seems like you and I have been battling for the top hotness for an eternity..l o l.

ramyb

SailorButterfly wrote:It's really frustrating seeing this get kicked out of the fog by a design that's not even on topic.

I'm sure this doesn't make anyone feel better about the situation, but I'm fairly sure that neither one will be in the fog quite soon.

On another note, I'm quite impressed that you were able to do an art deco cute animal for this derby

tjonesutd87

Anthony3419 wrote:No, re-sub it just make it inside the printable area. This one is way outside.

How do I edit it then?

jdkay20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdkay20
Re: Golf Deco

thanks for the feedback. this is my first entry and i just wanted to get a design out there.

Anthony3419

tjonesutd87 wrote:How do I edit it then?

You can't. Just submit a new one. After that you can delete this one by clicking the little red x. We all went through this at some point.:D

linkszelda

wizard7926 wrote:

Now, speaking of art deco.. I'm going to go play Bioshock.

those are the gears i think of when i think Art Deco. ramy, you have the right gears in the background, but i feel like they should have been more pronounced than the design you have in the foreground. your foreground image shouldn't have been futuristic in the style that you have it; i don't know of any art deco pieces (mind you i haven't looked in a while) that have straight lines on an angle (usually they become curved). it may have held your interest better, but you need to find a happy medium between your interests and the themes from now on. who knows, being more on theme and maybe less into yourself will stop the bashings.

with the work that you typically do, i expected a more stylized design from you, which i feel you could have pulled off in this derby a lot better than this design. this would have been the perfect opportunity for you to take your cute designs one or two steps further.

vosges1945

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vosges1945
re: robo deco

It's Ultraman!

kareokediva3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kareokediva3
Re: Cityscape in Art Deco

Okay so I've received mixed reviews on my current background. Would one of these options have represented my design better? I just didn't thing they were ostentatious enough for the Art Deco theme. But this is for my own artistic reference/critiquing/feedback:

All feedback appreciated. :D

mpadberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpadberg

Like it.

Barninator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barninator

oh, man. The art is amazing! But to me the layout for a T-shirt seems far too messy.
Maybe size down the Hermes figure and place in the bottom right corner? (or left, for the shirt wearer) The square layout doesn't work, as is.