diannelee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diannelee
marissarocks wrote:i'm new here, and this might sound laem,but...how do you vote? I REALLY want to vote for this one, but i don't know how. HELP!!

you need to sign up for an account, buy at least one shirt, then be logged into your account to vote. have fun.

HarlequinHeart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HarlequinHeart
HarlequinHeart wrote:Wow! Thank you for such a great compliment! When I get home where the file is tonight I will post the detail and hook you up on a screen saver image. I really appriciate you asking, I am touched.

Alrighty, here is the detail on this... finally. Sorry I am a little late.

yumac29

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yumac29

Haha is this the same pencil you used for the rabbit design?

Nothing like a good shirt.woot argument. Gets me through a whole class.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
Re: On the Theater Wall (Back of Shirt)

That looks like some gradient shadowing there... or is my monitor just fuzzy?

HarlequinHeart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HarlequinHeart
linkszelda wrote:reminds me of the old-school lounges that used to be popular way back when. i've always loved the design they'd have as their logos, and i love this!

Definately but, you know I never thought of it that! So yea, loungey feel...that's really cool... I like that!

I always love to hear what the art makes people think of or feel. I personally have a strong attachment to this era for some strange reason or another.

Manvyi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Manvyi
Re: Girl and swirls

Fair enough on the rejection. I'd developed a Josephine Baker-inspired composition, but it was a design inspired by Art Deco and using Deco motifs, rather than a design which was aiming to resemble pastiche Deco. Also, the hand-drawn style meant there was a tendency towards the organic rather than the geometric.

Some references:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:3interior_KCPL_Bldg_Kansas_City_MO.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Elevated_Art.jpg
File:Montdidier Hôtel-de-ville (peinture escalier) 1.jpg
File:Hp-ljunglund-baker-fdp-1928.png

Ginnna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ginnna
Re: Sunshine

I swear, if this gets into the fog and wins any place, 1st 2nd or 3rd, it'll be the first shirt I've ever bought from this site. I love it!

You love this signature. It's awesome.

bbigdoggs2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbigdoggs2
Re: Streamline

Quite nice!

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
Smilevampy wrote:Whyyyyy was this rejected?

Chrysler Building = Deco.
Even if the squid does not.

I would've bought this, too. :-(

I know, right?

I'm just really glad NIN|JA released this week.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Re: SKATE OR DIE- DECO

SKATE OR DIE
back end and wheel of a skateboard transformed four times.

rocketjohn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rocketjohn
Re: Blast Off (Resub)

I'd have to buy this if it printed. For semi-obvious reasons. Get's a vote from me

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Moondragon wrote:That looks like some gradient shadowing there... or is my monitor just fuzzy?

I turned the opacity of the shadow all the way up. It should just be a solid color.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Re: Morning Stretch

I so want that shirt to be purple.

got me this time jaden.voted.

raimoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raimoj
Re: Robo Deco

More power to the robot!

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
rocketjohn wrote:I'd have to buy this if it printed. For semi-obvious reasons. Get's a vote from me

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ramyb wrote:
...The main issue is that everyone has their own expectations when coming to look at a derby. Some people pay no attention to the theme at all...

boy howdy. ;^)

ramyb, I've read both of your attempts to justify the design as 'on theme'. or 'on write-up'.

My big dissatisfaction with your design winning, or sitting in the fog and the hotness, taking away a place for something, oh, maybe Art Deco, is just that it clearly isn't Art Deco. Sure, there are elements that have some resemblance to Art Deco: you have some repeated geometric forms, you have quite a few gears (which at most have been a minimally 'art deco' motif), and apparently you feel that drawing something like a tall building, and then hiding that feature, is enough Art Deco to allow you to fit the theme. Yet, anyone who sees the design will never think "ooh, what a clever use of Art Deco in a novel way".

The contest is an Art Deco Contest. While woot's drunken writers may have described it in a less than perfect way, my impression from the writeup was more that they were trying to describe what Art Deco is, and failing, rather than that they were spelling out requirements for what is on-topic.

For a design to quite possibly win it that has virtually nothing to do with Art Deco is just wrong. If the theme is that boring to you, that to hold your interest you have to mess around so far from the actual theme that no-one who is honest with themselves can call it Art Deco, then why did you enter at all? You're allowed to take a week off, for Pete's sake.

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen
Re: Deco Cone

This is sweet! Just to point out the obvious :D

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: I Dream of Gears

Nice! I love how the gold just pops on this design. GMV!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91
Re: Get on the Mike

The VCR and the DVD
There wasn't none of that guppy back in 1970
We didn't know about a World Wide Web
It was a whole different game being played back when I was a kid

Wanna get down in a cool way
Picture yourself on a beautiful day
Big bell bottoms and groovy long hair
Just walkin' in style with a portable CD player
No, you would listen to the music on the AM radio
Yeah, you could hear the music on a AM radio

cobolisdead

Neat. The head reminds me of the Rocketeer's helmet!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

dwskau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwskau
Re: 42nd and Lexington

This is the first comment I have left after voting for quite a while. I'm commenting because I would love to have this shirt so much.

cobolisdead

Ahh, I see it now. Nice design. GMV!

cobolisdead

Re: Into The Trench

Nice concept, but I'm betting that it is going to get rejected due to copyright.

granddad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages granddad
Re: Construct

Well, after all the discussions, I still don't see what this has to do with the actual theme. It's not deco, in my opinion.

SeraphSix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix
Josephus wrote:If the theme is that boring to you, that to hold your interest you have to mess around so far from the actual theme that no-one who is honest with themselves can call it Art Deco, then why did you enter at all? You're allowed to take a week off, for Pete's sake.

Very good point here.
There's no reason to push the envelope when you have nothing to mail :P

DavidShenoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
AdderXYU wrote:I don't know what part of "art deco" is subjective. It seems pretty specific to me. I'm also not sure that you understand opinion... so if I made something in the style of Dali, and someone said "that's not art deco," that would be opinion if I thought otherwise? because that seems to be your response.

That's because you're not an artist. You, my old and simple-minded friend, are the artistic equivalent of the slow gazelle in the herd that gets eaten by the lions on the discovery channel.

I still love you though. What would batman be without the joker around. He would be Bruce wayne a boring millionaire with no purpose.

And so, I thank you adder for making my time here so fun. And just so folks don't get the wrong impression, please realize It's all in fun and by no means do I wish any harm on adder or his cultish followers, and by no means do I wish a swarm of starving locusts to fall on his home and stay there.

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419

Nice colors. Kinda Trippy...

SeraphSix

fablefire wrote:I'm just really glad NIN|JA released this week.

Word!
I've been rocking NIN nonstop :D

SeraphSix

At least the main point in this design is the Deco element.
I find this very entertaining

Anthony3419

You just made the hotness list. Sweet!

Hattey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hattey
Re: Caught in the Waves

This is weirdly rad and I like it.

Sapherynth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sapherynth
Re: Deco Dragon

Don't mess with the dragon! He will be all over you like deco white on rice ;-).

bradyson

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradyson
re: construct

I don't see how this fits the theme. It was discussed pre-derby that it did not quite fit. Damn the rule torpedoes and let the legions of fans vote for it anyways.

Oh well, I guess that's why I am not a "real artist" but still try to bring something different and on topic when I do submit, (and end up unsuccesful in votes.) Meh, back to my engineering job...

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Construct

Alright Ramyb... It's time to come clean... Although I think you are a fantastic artist and you've had some pretty good shirt ideas in the past, I feel that your recent shirts have been very overrated. Unless woot has a ratio of 75% asian girls on their site, I don't see how your cutesie Chinese Zodiac shirt won in the last derby. And now your piano key shirt and this one are very highly ranked in another derby. I don't get it. Although both of these shirts are good, they don't seem good enough to be in the fog. Did you get a bunch of your friends to buy a leak frog each on woot so they can vote on your shirt designs? I'm not an artist by any means... but it just doesn't seem add up to me.

diehlscove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diehlscove

Wow, I want one.

SeraphSix

mitchellp wrote:...I don't see how your cutesie Chinese Zodiac shirt won in the last derby...

That was sekiyoku, but the styles are very similar.

bluelightblues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluelightblues

great design, placement embrangles, should be on chest not arching over the belly which results from my conical indugences. . .

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
SeraphSix wrote:That was sekiyoku, but the styles are very similar.

Ok.. Sorry, so the Chinese Zodiac shirt wasn't Ramyb's shirt design. But that doesn't dispute the fact that both of Ramyb's current shirts seem to be highly overranked in this derby. Does anybody else feel this way? I'll shut up if its only me. I'm just saying.

Anthony3419

Re: Sound Wave

This is sweet! +1 from me.

bluelightblues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluelightblues
jndoowl wrote:Looks like he's holding "himself".

And all I can say is "congratulations" for him,
but unfortunately I won't wear a shirt promoting robotic self love. That's the first step towards "the uprising".

ditto. (sorry)