bluelightblues


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluelightblues

so wearable, i'm in for one.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Josephus wrote:My big dissatisfaction with your design winning, or sitting in the fog and the hotness, taking away a place for something, oh, maybe Art Deco, is just that it clearly isn't Art Deco. Sure, there are elements that have some resemblance to Art Deco: you have some repeated geometric forms, you have quite a few gears (which at most have been a minimally 'art deco' motif), and apparently you feel that drawing something like a tall building, and then hiding that feature, is enough Art Deco to allow you to fit the theme. Yet, anyone who sees the design will never think "ooh, what a clever use of Art Deco in a novel way".



This is exactly my point about the expectations of people coming into the derby, because you want only designs that can be recognized as art deco without the context of the theme to be allowed in the derby. For me, I feel that this kind of strict limitation in style would lead to an uninteresting derby. It has nothing to do with whether or not the theme interests me, but if woot were going to be as strict as you want them to be, there would be very few pictures left. Woot makes the final decision, I'm sure a hundred people tattled on this design for being off theme, so if woot decides not to reject it, then it means my interpretation and approach to the theme was deemed acceptable, and that the writeups are, in fact, subject to interpretation, even if you don't think they should be. If it gets rejected, then I was wrong, but I'm the one who takes the punishment anyway, so it works out. I don't think it's worth discussing anymore, and either way I have no problems holding to the theme more closely in the future after the response to this entry. You've made your point, and even though I've been arguing on the other side, I wanted to say that I still hear you and I still can understand what your saying and will try to change my approach in the future.

Sapherynth


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sapherynth
Stormink wrote:Wow. And you wonder why people always talk about how you output multiple horrible designs. What the hell are the circles doing there? It looks like stock art or clip art. Seriously. Stick to one design a week please and don't further prove everyone's point that you just mass produce junk for these contests.

Sorry if anyone else thinks this is too harsh, but I'm sick of seeing Ramyb consistently pouring out tons of junk designs each week when none of the designs are at a decent level of completion.



I know I am a little late off the line on this one but...

RamyB is one of only a couple of the regular "fog dwellers" that is participating this week. At least he/she (sorry I have not been a member long enough to know) made an effort to submit designs even though the theme differs greatly from their artistic comfort zone. This is how artist become more diverse! It reminds me of the scene from History of the World Part I where it depicts that the evolution of creative artistic genius was shortly followed by the evolution of the no talent art critic, who instead of producing work of their own exist solely by attempting to stifle the attempts of true out of the box thinking and pisses all over it. I applaud RamyB and Tgentry, not to mention every other serious entry, for their submissions! This week is a hard theme and by participating we are showing that we can think out of the box and be creatively inspired by a classic style. Bottom line -- don't throw stones... if you don't like it, don't vote for it... if you strongly feel that what is being submitted is not worthy of you money then don’t piss and moan about how something is not up to your “standard”, act and submit something better!

Whew! That was a tall soapbox.

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: DecOWL



I really like this. It should have more votes...+1 from me...


RoxineM


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RoxineM

I think it's very art deco and I like it. I would drink this coffee wearing my feathered felt hat and mink collar while smoking my cig in a holder and sticking my little finger out.

SeraphSix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix
ramyb wrote:...then it means my interpretation and approach to the theme was deemed acceptable, and that the writeups are, in fact, subject to interpretation, even if you don't think they should be.



Because you've quoted it before:
"Splash some stylized geometrical cool onto a t-shirt that embodies all the aerodynamic modernism of the '20s and '30s."

I see stylized geometrical cool and aerodynamic modernism, sure... but stylized geometrical cool and aerodynamic modernism of the '20s and '30s? Not at all.

This screams futuristic, not classic. I don't see how you are interpreting futuristic from the 1920s...

Edit: Unless you're referring to the 2020s and 2030s? But I don't see that flying.

mfbassplayer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfbassplayer
Re: Robo Deco



unfortunately, you will probably get rejected. It has to be an inch away from the seams on the side and the bottom.

Yaaaaaaawn. I'm bored.

Stupidemon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stupidemon
Re: Get on the Mike



I've been looking for a shirt to wear when I'm doing stand up. Think I just found it. GMV, really awesome work.

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
jasneko wrote:Thanks to those who made suggestions!



No problem... One more tip, watch when you put the outlines around the objects. Some times it's not neccessary.

dirtdirt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt
Re: Spicing Things Up a Bit



I think this is great. Perfect Art Deco, but coming at it from a different, funny direction.

And the papoose is so cute!

WeeNessy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages WeeNessy
Re: Sound Wave



Not toxic, love it! It is like a soothing look at a soft sound of a wave

kokiri


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokiri
Re: The Messenger (resubmission)



Hey, everyone, it's a resubmission of this; moved the picture up a little more on the shirt, it looks a bit less messy this way...Please vote again!

Here is a better view of the image: http://kgoggles.deviantart.com/art/The-Messenger-116631224

abinky26


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abinky26

kokiri


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokiri
Barninator wrote:oh, man. The art is amazing! But to me the layout for a T-shirt seems far too messy.
Maybe size down the Hermes figure and place in the bottom right corner? (or left, for the shirt wearer) The square layout doesn't work, as is.



Hey thanks for the suggestion. Please take a look a the resubmission; I put it on the top right instead..
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=29590

tjonesutd87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjonesutd87
mfbassplayer wrote:unfortunately, you will probably get rejected. It has to be an inch away from the seams on the side and the bottom.



Oh snap, where does it say all of this stuff under the technical requirements? Or do most people have to learn the hard way like me?

abinky26


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abinky26
Re: Saturn



This shirt did blend in with all the others, but it is awsome. I especially like the hood ornament. Got my vote without a doubt.

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: The Messenger (resubmission)



I still like the idea...+1


ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
SeraphSix wrote:Because you've quoted it before:
"Splash some stylized geometrical cool onto a t-shirt that embodies all the aerodynamic modernism of the '20s and '30s."

I see stylized geometrical cool and aerodynamic modernism, sure... but stylized geometrical cool and aerodynamic modernism of the '20s and '30s? Not at all.

This screams futuristic, not classic. I don't see how you are interpreting futuristic from the 1920s...

Edit: Unless you're referring to the 2020s and 2030s? But I don't see that flying.



Heh I hadn't inteded it to be 2020s and 2030s, although that's sort of clever. But my intention was to have the spirit of stylized geometrical cool and aerodynamic modernism in a present-day context. What is depicted isn't exactly futuristic in the sense that it's nothing that doesn't currently exist, so it was my way of taking the feel of art deco in the 20s and 30s and making it to be what I thought it would represent today. Like I said, anyone can feel free to disagree with this as an interpretation of the theme, I just wanted to explain my thought process and show where this entry came from, because it really wasn't just an attempt to avoid the theme. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have tried something new.

skipmuntz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skipmuntz
Re: Bomb Deco



Great design, but I live in Japan, so there is NO way I'd ever wear this in public

veronikaa


quality posts: 2 Private Messages veronikaa

i want this so bad!
vote for this people!!




Vote!



tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

yumac29 wrote:Haha is this the same pencil you used for the rabbit design?



Since they don't look anything alike, I'd say not:



But I guess you probably knew that already.

chrisbarbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisbarbar
Re: Old Old Old Old Skool



Very nice Dankstick. GMV. Chuuuuch!

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
Re: Tourist



Rejected????
At least this had an Art Deco element (unlike "Construct.")

chrisbarbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisbarbar
Re: You are the agent of change (resub)



I love this. My favorite for this derby. Hope it wins! GMV

grael


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grael
Re: DecOWL



WANT. (Need)


+1

Awesome job

skaake


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaake
databit wrote:What is Art Deco then? I looked it up on the Internet and came up with a lot of differences in the definition from one source to another? Did you know you are not supposed to refer to designs as Art Deco unless they originate from France? Well By One definition this is true. I looked at some of the rejected entries and gave my take on them and also found a common factor between them. You can read about it on the blog... It is far to long winded (IT IS LONG) to post here.


Thanks so much!!! I tried very hard to make sure my design was artdeco themed. I don't understand "Off Topic." :-(
Your blog on artdeco was hilarious!

Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
~Henry Van Dyke

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
ramyb wrote:Heh I hadn't inteded it to be 2020s and 2030s, although that's sort of clever. But my intention was to have the spirit of stylized geometrical cool and aerodynamic modernism in a present-day context. What is depicted isn't exactly futuristic in the sense that it's nothing that doesn't currently exist, so it was my way of taking the feel of art deco in the 20s and 30s and making it to be what I thought it would represent today. Like I said, anyone can feel free to disagree with this as an interpretation of the theme, I just wanted to explain my thought process and show where this entry came from, because it really wasn't just an attempt to avoid the theme. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have tried something new.




Then you should have included a Nintendo reference. ;c)

goatcane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goatcane
re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=29358]the rabbit



Sign me up for 4

theciscokiddd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theciscokiddd

Ram Ram Ramy, I usually don't like your stuff. (Not to sound mean or anything) But nevertheless, you are a good artist. This, I love! Good stuff good stuff.

WBW87


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WBW87
tjonesutd87 wrote:Oh snap, where does it say all of this stuff under the technical requirements? Or do most people have to learn the hard way like me?



having all kinds of trouble, aren't you? Hang in there. They should probably just push it over, don't forget to tell others now that you have resubmitted.

erina7262


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erina7262
ramyb wrote:Heh I hadn't inteded it to be 2020s and 2030s, although that's sort of clever. But my intention was to have the spirit of stylized geometrical cool and aerodynamic modernism in a present-day context. What is depicted isn't exactly futuristic in the sense that it's nothing that doesn't currently exist, so it was my way of taking the feel of art deco in the 20s and 30s and making it to be what I thought it would represent today. Like I said, anyone can feel free to disagree with this as an interpretation of the theme, I just wanted to explain my thought process and show where this entry came from, because it really wasn't just an attempt to avoid the theme. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have tried something new.



I have to say...regardless of all this back and forth about the design...I have to give Ramby props. I dont think I could take this much poo from people EVERY WEEK about EVERY design I did and still remain civil in my responses and still submit new designs. Kudos to you Ramy for having patience that I cannot even being to understand. If it were me, I would have gone effing postal by now.

theciscokiddd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theciscokiddd

For some reason, this reminds me of Zelda (wind waker). I have no clue why, but it makes me happy. GMV

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Construct



I just wanted to say that it's unbelievable just getting enough votes to even be able to compete with you. That's no easy task!

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

'kay, lets throw some more useless observations into the fire...
In my opinion, I think the discussion over RamyB's design would all be moot IF the color schemes where changed. Seriously. Stop, look at it. Think of it with golden gears and blue, gray or dark amber bark ground, or even a halftone from amber to black. I think the coldenss of the colors isolate it from relating to directly to Art deco; if looks like some futuristic space battle station! It's like, I made a reference to darth vadar's helmet as art deco style in the forum before submissions. But if I were to have seriously subbed it, I would have melded it with some egyptian style. Art deco is classy to the point of gaudy. I agree that it not art deco; BUT with small tweeks it could be. Although, it may not have made it to the fog, if it had been modded as such.

dirtdirt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt
erina7262 wrote:Kudos to you Ramy for having patience that I cannot even being to understand.



For every criticism there are a hundred votes and a thousand dollars, and I imagine that helps ease the pain.

Me, I'm neither a fan nor a detractor, particularly. But I find the Ramyb controversy fascinating.

akumachan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
ramyb wrote:Honestly, I think it's much less a double-standard, and much more the fact that I defended the relevance to the theme of my entry and others did not.


oh come on now ramy. You defended your theme?
You think that's why woot didn't reject your design??
You're kidding yourself.

The artist who did the miami themed design that was rejected defended his theme and the reject-o-hammer still fell.

Do you honestly believe that the other artists were rejected because they didn't apply proper defense??

Do you really think that theory holds any water or is more believeable than woot simply protecting a money-making asset?

This is called a double-standard. And the people who benefit fromt he double standard rarely realize that it's a double standard.


The main issue is that everyone has their own expectations when coming to look at a derby. Some people pay no attention to the theme at all, and just vote for designs that they like. Others look at the name of the theme, and then make decisions about whether or not entries are on topic just based on that. For me, when doing an entry, I pay less attention to the name of the theme and more attention to woot's writeup.

I entered it knowing that some people would not think it was on theme, but I preferred to do an entry like this rather than do one that I felt would be more similar to the others in the derby. The potential for rejection was obviously there, but I think that there is enough tying this entry to woot's writeup that it should be allowed to stay in the derby.



You misunderstand my point ramy. I'm not saying that everyone has to interpret deco the way I see it. My point is that the woot judges are INCONSISTENT.

I have already stated that you have every right to your interpretation of deco. But if YOU have every right to your interpretation, then so does everyone else.

My gripe with this situation is not YOU. It's the fact that woot seems to widen and narrow its interpretation of what is on or off topic depending on who the artist is. And that, my dear ramy, is not fair.

There are rejections that should have been rejected. However, there are some rejected designs that were far less obtuse in their interpretation of Art Deco than your own piece.

My point here is not to bash you or your design, but to simply point out that there have been unfair inconsistencies in rejections. And your design simply is the biggest example of this inconsistency.


Oh and as a sidenote, a few people suggested that woot is keeping this around because my other designs have made money for them, but I really doubt that's the case, especially since this is so different from my previous designs. There's really no reason for them to expect this to do any better than other pictures that would potentially win this derby.



Don't be foolish ramy. Woot is a business. They are not here to make us happy. They are not here to be nice to the artists. They are not here to promote new talent. They are here to make money. And if anyone believes anything different, they are kidding themselves.

When a business has a cash cow, they protect it.

Right now, woot has around 500 reasons to not reject your design. Not to mention all the untold thousands of previous sales that your designs have brought them. And the voters are proving that even though this is a departure from your previous work, they are still willing to vote and most likely open their wallets. Woot has zero reasons to subject you to the same rules. That's all the reason ANY business needs to make somewhat unethical decisions when it comes to its bottom line.

In fact, playing devils advocate and looking at this from a pure profit perspective, woot would be INSANE to reject your designs when they make the fog almost every week. You may have a design or two that isn't AS successful as some of your others, but statistically speaking, the odds that they will profit from you versus another new artist that does not come with a pre-installed fanbase are very much in their favor.

Anyway, keep the designs coming. I am a fan. And my tiger shirt should be here on thursday.

dankstick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
cobolisdead wrote:I love it as a pic, but I'm not sure that I'd wear a shirt of a robot humping a building. Still, Great execution of a neat concept. GMV!




The Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future would wear this.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ramyb wrote:This is exactly my point about the expectations of people coming into the derby, because you want only designs that can be recognized as art deco without the context of the theme to be allowed in the derby. For me, I feel that this kind of strict limitation in style would lead to an uninteresting derby. It has nothing to do with whether or not the theme interests me, but if woot were going to be as strict as you want them to be, there would be very few pictures left. Woot makes the final decision, I'm sure a hundred people tattled on this design for being off theme, so if woot decides not to reject it, then it means my interpretation and approach to the theme was deemed acceptable, and that the writeups are, in fact, subject to interpretation, even if you don't think they should be. If it gets rejected, then I was wrong, but I'm the one who takes the punishment anyway, so it works out. I don't think it's worth discussing anymore, and either way I have no problems holding to the theme more closely in the future after the response to this entry. You've made your point, and even though I've been arguing on the other side, I wanted to say that I still hear you and I still can understand what your saying and will try to change my approach in the future.



whoa. hats off to you, ramyb.

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
benjaminleebates wrote:No problem... One more tip, watch when you put the outlines around the objects. Some times it's not neccessary.



Thanks... eep, actuallly if you look back at the original from the derby thread, they didn't have outlines... I added them at the last minute, thought it made them look more 'deco like'. So maybe I didn't need them. Well thanks for saying!

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
HarlequinHeart wrote:I don't know. I like the color of the shirt you picked. Accents the green really well and I like the placement too so... two thumbs up from me



goosiedragon wrote:i really like this design, i'm surprised it's not doing better. good luck!



Thanks very much to both of you (and those who voted)! Guess people just aren't noticing it...