elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: Old Old Old Old Skool



The frame really kills this design for me. I like the rest of it, but 99% of shirt designs should not have frames or anything that make it look boxy.

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Dec'd Out Racing (resubmission)



Very Cool. Too bad it is in so late.


KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
databit wrote:man-bear-pig... I told you it was real!



Ahhh I just saw that on TV last night ahahahah fricken al gore lolll

KenneyandJosephus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenneyandJosephus
Re: Detail, the Pucker Building, Chicago



Shockingly, this is a collaboration between two very different artists! As you probably know, the Pucker Building is across the street from the Chicago Board of Trade Building, and simply outshines the CBOT for it's Art Deco beauty. Simply put, the Pucker is the Heart of Art Deco.

TEST

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Sunshine



This has been a real nail biting derby so far. Thanks to everyone who has voted, really. I seem to linger often near the top but always out of reach of a print, so to be so close is crazy (although I'm not getting my hopes up). Please keep the votes coming if you want to see this win, I think third place is going to come down to just a matter of a few votes so every one counts. Thanks again everyone, you're awesome!

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Dec'd Out Racing (resubmission)



Nice.. Voted for it!

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: Dec'd Out Racing (resubmission)




It is Wednesday again and today at Noon all the submissions stop. That also means it is time for the Great but Late list. Because of the lower submission rate this week, It is not as long as usual, but to check out the list, hop on over to the blog.

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
StevieSegel wrote:It's MTV's Pimp My Igloo!

Seriously, that's very very cool (no pun intended).



Is that the little eskimo version of X to tha Z Xzibit?


KenneyandJosephus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenneyandJosephus
Re: Detail, the Pucker Building, Chicago, resubmission



This collaboration between two quite different artists is pure Art Deco- the Pucker, as you know, is the heart of the Art Deco movement, which started with the construction of the Pucker Building next to the Chicago Board of trade Building. Millions of people over the decades have visited this pair of stunning buildings, which proudly tell that Chrysler Building in New York to "Pucker Up, and {redacted by collaborator}". Please vote for the mighty mighty pucker!

TEST

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: SquiDeco - Art Decopodiformes



Whoa! Squid-A-Delic. Very cool....Just a few days late.


mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
fkavy wrote:"He who generalizes, generally lies"



No... I seriously don't like russians.

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: Dec'd Out Racing (resubmission)



Awesome Job. I like the fact that even without the lettering, this still looks classic. GMV.

sweatngravy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweatngravy
gizagiza wrote:I really love this, but I wish it were on a shirt other than baby blue... in my opinion, that color is overused. Regarding the design itself, beautiful.



Saying that, is like saying you only buy artwork that matches the color of your couch. The design should always dictate the color, not the other way around. "Over-used" or not, in this case, baby-blue is the only real choice.

itsbeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsbeth
databit wrote:What is Art Deco then? I looked it up on the Internet and came up with a lot of differences in the definition from one source to another? Did you know you are not supposed to refer to designs as Art Deco unless they originate from France? Well By One definition this is true. I looked at some of the rejected entries and gave my take on them and also found a common factor between them. You can read about it on the blog... It is far to long winded (IT IS LONG) to post here.



I am getting really tired of seeing you post the same shameless blog promotion messages on multiple entries every derby. That is called spam, sir. Please stop.

itsbeth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsbeth
Anthony3419 wrote:Whoa! Squid-A-Delic. Very cool....Just a few days late.



Agreed. Would have been a contender a few days ago. Love the tentacles.

echoota


quality posts: 0 Private Messages echoota
Anthony3419 wrote:Whoa! Squid-A-Delic. Very cool....Just a few days late.



It's NEVER too late!

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Detail, the Pucker Building, Chicago, resubmission



I would buy this for my wife. She would love it..+1 from me


tibetbro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tibetbro
Re: Get on the Mike



I love this one. I wish the bolts could be glow in the dark.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: Vive La Paris



After putting hours upon hours upon... hours to get my submission done in three days only for it to be rejected, why would you submit something that literally probably took you less than half an hour? If this is like your first submission then good for you, but if you're a regular, is this really what works? using a few lines and pre-stored photoshop dyes?

tibetbro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tibetbro
Re: Saturn



I was just thinking. Since real art deco needs to come from France. Why not replace the Saturn with a Peugeot?

treebirdoctopus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treebirdoctopus
Re: The Rabbit's Weird Dream



I can see why this is doing so well, with the cute bunny and it almost being Easter, but seriously, I would never walk around with a shirt that is covered in phallic vegetables. Is no one else seeing this????

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
treebirdoctopus wrote:I can see why this is doing so well, with the cute bunny and it almost being Easter, but seriously, I would never walk around with a shirt that is covered in phallic vegetables. Is no one else seeing this????



hahaha, first people who live in japan can't wear the bombing shirt, now feminists can't wear the falic shirt haha, jk. I had never noticed that before, but now that you mention it...

tibetbro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tibetbro
Re: princess deco



Seems like everyone thinks she's too skinny, but if they had a wear a hot two piece in the next sequel, they'd starve themselves too. Maybe a future derby will present an opportunity for her weight gain.

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
icymallard wrote:nicely done GMV, im still rootin for armadillo tho



Which Armadillo?

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

treebirdoctopus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treebirdoctopus
KUClerks wrote:hahaha, first people who live in japan can't wear the bombing shirt, now feminists can't wear the falic shirt haha, jk. I had never noticed that before, but now that you mention it...



It's not just feminists. As a guy, why would you want to walk around displaying that either? Not only are you wearing a cute bunny, but a cute bunny surrounded by phallic vegetables. Not my thing. I'm not knocking the designer, Infinity is awesome, I just don't see the appeal of this particular design for most people.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: See, Hear, Speak!



What happened to their legs! I think if this doesn't print, you should resubmit it somewhere else (or as a daily) without the weird background and with legs, cause I really like it.

DirkDDarring


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
StevieSegel wrote:Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want
Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want




Thank you for your kind support.

]

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
treebirdoctopus wrote:It's not just feminists. As a guy, why would you want to walk around displaying that either? Not only are you wearing a cute bunny, but a cute bunny surrounded by phallic vegetables. Not my thing. I'm not knocking the designer, Infinity is awesome, I just don't see the appeal of this particular design for most people.



I'm a girl, and it's the only one I voted for in like the top 10. For me, art is a window, and all those other designs say nothing out of the ordinary; I look at them and I see exactly what they put on the shirt, nothing more. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "cute bunny", it's a simplified rabbit, but it's not smiling and fluffy and whatnot... I can't stand those fluffy cutesy boring shirts. And falic is anything thats longer than it is wide, so technically theres a LOT of falic symbols in woot shirts lolll ahh I'm not giving you a hard time, you just have an interesting perspective.

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
mitchellp wrote:Awesome art deco shirt! GMV



Thanks for the support on this design. If it doesn't get an HM nod, it will be on mySoti page once time allows.

Thanks again to everyone who supported!

pfanara


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pfanara
Stormink wrote:Wow. And you wonder why people always talk about how you output multiple horrible designs. What the hell are the circles doing there? It looks like stock art or clip art. Seriously. Stick to one design a week please and don't further prove everyone's point that you just mass produce junk for these contests.

Sorry if anyone else thinks this is too harsh, but I'm sick of seeing Ramyb consistently pouring out tons of junk designs each week when none of the designs are at a decent level of completion.



Why is it that people who have no creative talent (or woot purchases for that matter) feel the need to speak out in such unconstructive and ignorant manners? Seeing the work Ramyb (and others of course) produces on a weekly basis helps to displace these convoluted and blan displays of mass market corporate designs. Weak and unnessary argument Stromink...go get a quicksilver tee, wear it, and just leave the comments to people who enjoy seeing creativity flourish.

BTW Great design ramyb...yet another I would add to the collection.

snackbot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snackbot
Anthony3419 wrote:I think this is a good illustration. The only problem I see is that the design is just cut off at his chest. Maybe use a halftone effect so that t blends better.



Yeah, I considered using a halftone but I felt the hard line would, in the end, be more "Art Deco". Also I was away at a conference all week and so this was fairly last minute... I'm glad some people like it though!

tibetbro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tibetbro
KUClerks wrote:After putting hours upon hours upon... hours to get my submission done in three days only for it to be rejected, why would you submit something that literally probably took you less than half an hour? If this is like your first submission then good for you, but if you're a regular, is this really what works? using a few lines and pre-stored photoshop dyes?



Well, had I not been working 16 hour days for the past 3 months, and raising 5 kids, and everything else that comes with having a life, I'm sure I would have had the time to do something more elaborate...but then again, that choice is up to me. I submitted this mostly because of Databit's blog on how Art Deco needs to be from France.

All that being said, if you don't like it, don't vote for it.

treebirdoctopus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treebirdoctopus
KUClerks wrote:I'm a girl, and it's the only one I voted for in like the top 10. For me, art is a window, and all those other designs say nothing out of the ordinary; I look at them and I see exactly what they put on the shirt, nothing more. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "cute bunny", it's a simplified rabbit, but it's not smiling and fluffy and whatnot... I can't stand those fluffy cutesy boring shirts. And falic is anything thats longer than it is wide, so technically theres a LOT of falic symbols in woot shirts lolll ahh I'm not giving you a hard time, you just have an interesting perspective.



It's interesting because this is very cute. You say you don't normally go for cutesy, but this is the only one in the top that is "cutesy". It's just funny how people read very differently into shirts. Personally I think many of the others on top have much more depth to them. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's funny how different we all are in how we perceive art. Personally I think this shirt (if I could ignore the phallic veggies) would look adorable on a little kid, but that's about it. Obviously many people feel otherwise or it wouldn't be doing so well.

tibetbro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tibetbro
KUClerks wrote:After putting hours upon hours upon... hours to get my submission done in three days only for it to be rejected, why would you submit something that literally probably took you less than half an hour? If this is like your first submission then good for you, but if you're a regular, is this really what works? using a few lines and pre-stored photoshop dyes?



Tibetbro Replies: Well, had I not been working 16 hour days for the past 3 months, and raising 5 kids, and everything else that comes with having a life, I'm sure I would have had the time to do something more elaborate...but then again, that choice is up to me. I submitted this mostly because of Databit's blog on how Art Deco needs to be from France.

All that being said, if you don't like it, don't vote for it.

yogs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogs
Re: Old Old Old Old Skool



elwayman02 wrote:The frame really kills this design for me. I like the rest of it, but 99% of shirt designs should not have frames or anything that make it look boxy.



This is a great design, but I think that he needed the frame in there (even though I am not a fan of it really) because he probably would have gotten rejected for not being deco enough (by the haphazard standards woot has). The other design falls into the same catergory, it could do without the frame, but it probably would have gotten rejected also. I think that they are both really clever and well executed designs that deserve to be in the fog.

atomiccate


quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomiccate
Anthony3419 wrote:Whoa! Squid-A-Delic. Very cool....Just a few days late.



yeah, i like to wait until the last minute. but hey, there's a few votes up there, anyway!

atomiccate


quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomiccate
atomiccate wrote:yeah, i like to wait until the last minute. but hey, there's a few votes up there, anyway!



oh and thank you for the compliments! it's my first submission to the derby.

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
pfanara wrote:Why is it that people who have no creative talent (or woot purchases for that matter) feel the need to speak out in such unconstructive and ignorant manners? Seeing the work Ramyb (and others of course) produces on a weekly basis helps to displace these convoluted and blan displays of mass market corporate designs. Weak and unnessary argument Stromink...go get a quicksilver tee, wear it, and just leave the comments to people who enjoy seeing creativity flourish.

BTW Great design ramyb...yet another I would add to the collection.




Did anyone think that all this talk about RamyB, is just giving him more exposure? Like the negativity is just helping further endear him to the bleeding hearts; and further alienating them from the rest... I wonder what would happen if people just gave him the cold shoulder and stopped saying anything about his stuff...? I mean, it's not like he's listening to criticism, it seems as though he accepts the positive and argues against the negative.
Yeah, it's not nice; but, has anyone taken back their votes because a good arguement has been made against his design being deco? If you have taken back your vote due to the complaints and arguremtns of others, please respond.

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
re: princess deco



I stay away from parody shirts like the plague. I hate to have a great shirt shoot up to the top and then get shot down by woot's group of worrisome lawyers. Check out the one I did.

Oh, it hurt. Yes, it hurt very badly, and I foresee that your attempted parody does not re-contextualize the subject enough to escape the rejexecutioner's blade.

Well, you live you learn, and you realize that it's just not even worth doing a design unless it's "100%" original, despite the fact that there is no such thing as absolute originality. Everything has to come from something else.

The distance which your concept is from the source, or sources, of inspiration is what others use to judge it's originality. The fact is that everything is subject to interpretation and the scale used to judge is already inherently subjective.

So...all that matters is...

Woot's site - Woot's rules, and until we start our own site that challenges copyrights and parody issues, nothing will change.

In any event, I like the shirt. GMV, and good luck.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
tibetbro wrote:Tibetbro Replies: Well, had I not been working 16 hour days for the past 3 months, and raising 5 kids, and everything else that comes with having a life, I'm sure I would have had the time to do something more elaborate...but then again, that choice is up to me. I submitted this mostly because of Databit's blog on how Art Deco needs to be from France.

All that being said, if you don't like it, don't vote for it.



don't worry, I didn't