ZMaiden


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZMaiden
Re: Construct



So, which is more of a woot-sin. People who see Ramy's name on a submission and vote for it purely based on his name? Or those that see Ramy's name on a submission and deliberately *don't* vote based on his name?
This whole derby was kind of disappointing to me. It's not to say that I don't like art deco, but I just hate it on a t-shirt. Some of these entries I would grab up in a second if they were posters, but I really just don't see the appeal of wearing a building or a train on my chest.

You know what I think would be an interesting experiment Ramy? You should submit a design on a pseudonym, to see if it gets the same vitriol. I'm not saying everyone was wrong to critique him, but I have a feeling that some people may be scrutinizing his entries week to week just to find anything negative they can say. Which is just as wrong, imo, as mindlessly saying a design is good.

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Anthony3419 wrote:Yeah, you are so close now. Close to 3rd I mean. I wish you well. I think it may be times up for me.



It has been a very close race this week. I'm not holding my breath though. The chances of beating Tgentry while keeping Infinity's bunny at bay will be next to impossible (especially for someone who's never printed before). A guy can dream though.

ZMaiden


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZMaiden
Re: You are the agent of change (resub)



I have to say, I really like this shirt. In fact, I think this is my favorite shirt that I've seen on woot so far. I enjoy a shirt that carries a message without sacrificing good t-shirt design. The colors are beautifully picked. I would buy this if I saw it at a retail store It would so be worth 20$. What I'm getting at is, if you put this somewhere else, regardless of cost, I would buy it. No joke.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: You are the agent of change (resub)



I really really like this but the thumbnail looks (at first glance) like Scooby Doo! lolll gmv anywho.

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419

casey7725


quality posts: 0 Private Messages casey7725
Re: Comin' atcha...



One of the best in my opinion

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: DecoDog with the Works



You should repost this elsewhere on the web, entitled "THIS IS WHAT DECO IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK/FEEL LIKE." Had I seen this before I had started working on my [rejected] design, I probably would have understood deco better [because last friday there were about 3 pictures on the entire web to refrence deco, I swear].

casey7725


quality posts: 0 Private Messages casey7725
Re: Old Old Old Old Skool



Cool design, but shows up a little dark on my monitor. I don’t mind the dark design on a dark shirt; makes it more wearable and nice job.

kokiri


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokiri
HarlequinHeart wrote:I voted the first time cause I loved this one and I still do so I am here voting again! Never had the chance to leave a comment last time so I am this time. I like the adjustment you made... I am surprised this is not higher the concept and colors are super cool! Who doesn't love scooters?



thanks so much !

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
cmdixon2 wrote:It has been a very close race this week. I'm not holding my breath though. The chances of beating Tgentry while keeping Infinity's bunny at bay will be next to impossible (especially for someone who's never printed before). A guy can dream though.



At the rate things are going, I think you're going to make it Good luck, I'm rooting for you

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Spicing Things Up a Bit



Is it just me or does the Eagle on the front remind anyone else of this:

*Image removed*


EDIT: I'm removing the image so not to offend. Google N@zi Eagle to see for yourself.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

jenniferwagner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenniferwagner
Re: Bomb Deco



Love this shirt. The first shirt in about 3 or 4 derbies that I would wear that has a shot at getting printed. GMV and I'm in for at least one.

Patchitect


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
rocketjohn wrote:Darn. I seem to have used "Get's".

*hangs head in shame*



Theres no shame in that! Remember, "what you wantz, Leo Getz!"

ratchangelam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratchangelam

Well you definitely have my vote. This is such a great design.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cobolisdead wrote:Is it just me or does the Eagle on the front remind anyone else of this:



Dude, scroll up and click through to the links of eagles done in Deco (for U.S. government buildings and the postal services no less) that look MUCH more like the eagle on my design.

Boy when it comes down to the wire people really pull out all the stops.

EDIT: Better yet, since you took the time to post an image of na.zi paraphernalia in my thread let me just post a pic of them. All U.S. government related:

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
tgentry wrote:Dude, scroll up and click through to the links of eagles done in Deco (for U.S. government buildings and the postal services no less) that look MUCH more like the eagle on my design.

Boy when it comes down to the wire people really pull out all the stops.



Dude, I've voted for you, so I'm not trying to sway anything. I just was reminded of the oh sweet merciful frag, pterodactyls eagle from the design.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cobolisdead wrote:Dude, I've voted for you, so I'm not trying to sway anything. I just was reminded of the oh sweet merciful frag, pterodactyls eagle from the design.



Considering you have a banner promoting the 5th place design in your sig, to post a pic of a na.zi image in my thread is a little...rude? Questionable? Especially considering it was already discussed and I already provided ample evidence that such designs are all over the place. At any rate I posted a big pic of just some of those other eagles so hopefully we can stop discussing what is actually a non issue.

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
Re: Bearman



At least this made me EL.OH.EL.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks

[quote postid="3076410" user="cobolisdead"]Is it just me or does the Eagle on the front remind anyone else of this:
quote]

This might not be my favorite design in the competition, but posting that is just plain rude. You know very well that that's a stretch, and they obviously didn't refrence THAT particular eagle when working on this. I don't know about you, but I don't usually go looking (and googling) for na.zi relations in my day to day life.

I hadn't voted for any of the top four, but now if this is what it's coming to, I see that my vote may be needed, so here's to your igloo tgentry.

And another thing, why are you promoting other peoples work in your comment tag? Like it really makes people wonder and question your validity, plus it makes you look like you're claiming that stuff as your own.

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
Re: Urban Jungle (Resub)



Really like this design, but it just doesn't feel "t shirty" to me.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

godmadesky


quality posts: 10 Private Messages godmadesky
akumachan wrote:cosigned.

VERY frustrating.

still waiting for the woot judges to do the right thing.



What does "cosigned" mean and how do you know it is?

What are we holding on to, Sam?
That's there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

JustJiggles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Get on the Mike



Great shirt!!!

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
tibetbro wrote:I was just thinking. Since real art deco needs to come from France. Why not replace the Saturn with a Peugeot?



Yeah, you are probably right, but I have a Saturn in the drive way and not a Peugeot. Besides, I had not seen the light yet of the France requirement when I started this week.

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
rivyglass wrote:I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT



Thank you

GoddessLaura


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GoddessLaura
Re: Art Deco Armadillo



I *really* like this shirt. Its by far my favorite. I look forward to buying it whenever/wherever its made available

grypes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes
Re: Sublime In All



Well I'm still not winning but for my third entry... I'm hovering around 60th place. Which... the last two entries I put up were like 120th and 100th. So I'm climbing slowly per entry. I think within 4 more entries I'll be the winner. :-D

akumachan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
godmadesky wrote:What does "cosigned" mean and how do you know it is?



sorry, "cosigned" is a regular term from another board I visit meaning "I agree"

and how do I know what is?

akumachan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
Re: The Rabbit's Weird Dream



oh and, I will positively cry if this design does not get printed. (ok so maybe I won't cry. But I will feel a moment of brief disappointment.)



come on people??!! Where's the bunny-love???

sigh... *kicks a pebble*

arylkin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arylkin
Re: The Rabbit's Weird Dream





I'm crossing my fingers that this one gets printed! I love it!

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: Egyptian Deco on Chocolate



I don't know what program you're using if any, but the background is not the woot brown for shirts. if you want you can download a template from woot with a shirt and colors that you can just copy and past or use the color dropper on. just check the submission page next time. Good luck for the future!

wizzdingo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo
Re: JURASSIC PARK IS MY MOM



This needs to be the new shirt template

Favs

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
SeraphSix wrote:Well, they let this one print: http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=6367

I don't see why there should be a double standard :P



Well I'm glad someone else pointed it out, because I've just about ran out of energy with defending entries to woot. This one i'm sure has been used as precedent for many a copyright argument, and woot's lawyers are probably still not breathing easy about it. They definitely let one slide there.

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
tgentry wrote:Considering you have a banner promoting the 5th place design in your sig, to post a pic of a na.zi image in my thread is a little...rude? Questionable? Especially considering it was already discussed and I already provided ample evidence that such designs are all over the place. At any rate I posted a big pic of just some of those other eagles so hopefully we can stop discussing what is actually a non issue.



I get that, but seriously, I'm not trying to drag down your design, I just wanted to say something about this that struck me as weird. I voted for it, because I like the idea of Eskimos Pimping out an igloo.

I didn't read all the thread before posting it, so I didn't see that you already answered this, so my bad. However, I'm shocked that you chose to use something that is closely tied to the N@zi movement despite it being from the art period. Granted, I've watched more than my fair share of the history channel, but the first thing I thought of was Naz1 Eskimos when I saw this. I mean, would a Swastika be considered kosher since it was a "Tibetan good luck charm" way before it became a symbol of the N@z1 party? Of course not, and while this might not be to the same extreme, its the same prinicple to me. Sure, the eagle is from the Art Deco style, but to me, it's taken on a different meaning since then. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, as I really was just pointing out my thoughts on the matter.


I hope that you get a print, but I don't know if I'd buy it due to having to explain to everyone it isn't a N@z1 Eskimo shirt.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

wizzdingo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo
Re: JURASSIC PARK IS MY MOM



And what is with this new wave of entries like this?

Favs

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
KUClerks wrote:[quote postid="3076410" user="cobolisdead"]Is it just me or does the Eagle on the front remind anyone else of this:
quote]

This might not be my favorite design in the competition, but posting that is just plain rude.



Nope, its me asking Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is up with something that I associate with Hitler. Not meant to be rude.



KUClerks wrote:You know very well that that's a stretch, and they obviously didn't refrence THAT particular eagle when working on this.



Looks pretty close to me. Close enough to be referenced. Granted the other pics he posted are probably where he got his reference from. Still, all of those birds are extremely similar at that level of detail.

KUClerks wrote:I don't know about you, but I don't usually go looking (and googling) for na.zi relations in my day to day life.



I don't have to. I've watched enough history channel, movies, and history was always my favorite class in school so I paid attention. I recognized the eagle from memory, although I did have to google to get my image to compare it to.


KUClerks wrote:And another thing, why are you promoting other peoples work in your comment tag? Like it really makes people wonder and question your validity, plus it makes you look like you're claiming that stuff as your own.



My point doesn't need any validating. My point was that the Eagle on the Igloo is VERY similar to the Naz1 Eagle. So much so that I asked about it. He gave me an answer and I believe him that he didn't mean for it to be representative of the N@z1 eagle, but I still have to ponder it's use given the circumstances.

As to why I have two designs in my signature, well, I happen to like both of these. They are what I think are some of the best designs this derby. I especially have to agree with Roberts write up about the Titanic design, as it took me a few moments to recognize what is going on.

I make no claim to either of these designs, I just think that they should be printed, as they are great designs and I'd love to have them both on a T-shirt.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cobolisdead wrote:I get that, but seriously, I'm not trying to drag down your design, I just wanted to say something about this that struck me as weird. I voted for it, because I like the idea of Eskimos Pimping out an igloo.

I didn't read all the thread before posting it, so I didn't see that you already answered this, so my bad. However, I'm shocked that you chose to use something that is closely tied to the N@zi movement despite it being from the art period. Granted, I've watched more than my fair share of the history channel, but the first thing I thought of was Naz1 Eskimos when I saw this. I mean, would a Swastika be considered kosher since it was a "Tibetan good luck charm" way before it became a symbol of the N@z1 party? Of course not, and while this might not be to the same extreme, its the same prinicple to me. Sure, the eagle is from the Art Deco style, but to me, it's taken on a different meaning since then. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, as I really was just pointing out my thoughts on the matter.


I hope that you get a print, but I don't know if I'd buy it due to having to explain to everyone it isn't a N@z1 Eskimo shirt.



Considering that spread winged eagle is as just as much a U.S. symbol (notice it on the top of flag poles in school before?!?) and is very popular throughout deco art, I honestly think this more about being able to find something to complain about rather than being "genuinely shocked". If that's the only time people that you'd be explaining to has seen that type of eagle then I would, if I were you, suggest to them to open their eyes to what's around them every day or at the least surround yourself with people less ignorant of art or American icons. I think the pics I posted speak for themselves. Poor form though on posting that pic to try to (successfully) turn this into a Na.zi Igloo thread. If you had truly voted for and hoped this won I doubt you'd be dropping Na.zi images into it. Poor form in my mind.

wizzdingo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo
Re: Art Deco TNMT



Kinda tired of seeing TMNT shirts etc

Favs

wizzdingo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo
Re: Abstract Art Deco



Shame it doesnt look like this is going to print. I know some say "find at target" etc, but I still like it and hope to see more abstractness in the future.

Favs

nemo728


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nemo728

just one spot out of the fog. come on, we need more votes!

woots: 27 / 3 bandoliers of carrots!
shirt woots: 45
first woot on 2007.07.24

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
tgentry wrote:Considering that spread winged eagle is as just as much a U.S. symbol (notice it on the top of flag poles in school before?!?) and is very popular throughout deco art, I honestly think this more about being able to find something to complain about rather than being "genuinely shocked". If that's the only time people that you'd be explaining to has seen that type of eagle then I would, if I were you, suggest to them to open their eyes to what's around them every day or at the least surround yourself with people less ignorant of art or American icons. I think the pics I posted speak for themselves. Poor form though on posting that pic to try to (successfully) turn this into a Na.zi Igloo thread. If you had truly voted for and hoped this won I doubt you'd be dropping Na.zi images into it. Poor form in my mind.



Well dude, what can I say? You drew it, you know what it looks like. If you didn't, then now you do. I didn't read the thread, and asked if it was just my imagination.



You say the N@zi pic is bad form when it's just there to give an example of what I'm talking about. I think I should have the right to ask about it especially considering how bloody close it is to what I'm talking about. If you want to get on to me about something, then why not just get on to me about not reading the entire thread before posting.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.