tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cobolisdead wrote:Well dude, what can I say? You drew it, you know what it looks like. If you didn't, then now you do. I didn't read the thread, and asked if it was just my imagination.

You say the N@zi pic is bad form when it's just there to give an example of what I'm talking about. I think I should have the right to ask about it especially considering how bloody close it is to what I'm talking about. If you want to get on to me about something, then why not just get on to me about not reading the entire thread before posting.

If it's not the case that you posted that in my thread (while supporting the design jostling for the same spot at the end of the derby (a great design btw Loop) to reflect poorly on my design and start a protracted discussion just like this, then I would hope you'd step back and see how it might look that way and why the person whose entry you were supporting might not appreciate you associating their work with Na.zis, funny as it may seem. If you're genuinely curious, why not PM and ask about it?

Anyway beyond that I'll just suggest to anyone who now thinks this is a Na.zi igloo to see the pics I posted above. There's many, many more out there.

kdeuce

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
artshowhero wrote:This is the best I think I've ever seen.

pretty much.

JonGalt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonGalt
Re: ...with the World on his shoulders.

Who is John Galt? It's funny how Atlas Shrugged is portrayed in this design. I really like Ayn Rand's writing, and her books truly are thought provoking. Definitely GMV

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
tgentry wrote:If it's not the case that you posted that in my thread (while supporting the design jostling for the same spot at the end of the derby (a great design btw Loop) to reflect poorly on my design and start a protracted discussion just like this, then I would hope you'd step back and see how it might look that way and why the person whose entry you were supporting might not appreciate you associating their work with Na.zis, funny as it may seem. If you're genuinely curious, why not PM and ask about it?

Anyway beyond that I'll just suggest to anyone who now thinks this is a Na.zi igloo to see the pics I posted above. There's many, many more out there.

Seriously...Can't we all just get along? Agree to disagree and move on. Anything can be taken out of context and be compared to something aweful. Happens all the time. I think that this issue should be squashed. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
ramyb wrote:At the rate things are going, I think you're going to make it Good luck, I'm rooting for you

Thanks for your support Ramy, that means a lot. I can't express how excited I'd be to see this actually pull ahead. And thanks to everyone who has said such nice things about this design and who voted this up.

skaake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaake
yogs wrote:The buildings alone have an art deco architecture to them, and that should be enough. Your problem is that you didn't make the penguin cutesy enough. Maybe you shoulda put an igloo in there somewhere. I love that you re-submitted the same design. That is awesome.

I'm in Miami...

Rejectees Unite!!

L O L :-)

Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
~Henry Van Dyke

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007

striker138 wrote:

Very nice design. I am really surprised that it doesn't have alot more votes.

I appreciate your concern. I sure wouldn't mind a lot more votes!!!

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
killopo wrote:I'm not at all saying it's a bad design, but did I miss something? Why is everyone so obsessed with squid designs?

Agree.

A well done squid design is certain to pull in a ton of votes around here. I think that though this is atomiccate's first derby, she (i would presume?) obviously knows the way to a wooter's heart. ;)

My only criticism would be that the print size is enormous. Other than that - very nice.

Anthony3419

wizzdingo wrote:Shame it doesnt look like this is going to print. I know some say "find at target" etc, but I still like it and hope to see more abstractness in the future.

Hey thanks for displaying a thumbnail for me. I really appreciate the support.

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
killopo wrote:I'm not at all saying it's a bad design, but did I miss something? Why is everyone so obsessed with squid designs?

welcome to woot, where nothin much makes sense. lol

I once ate a cricket.

rmjwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmjwell
Re: I Dream of Gears

I wish there was something that I Had To Have so I could buy it and then vote for your design. I hope it gets enough votes to be made into a shirt so I *can* buy it!

Stormink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
Re: Sunshine

Awesome design! (And you will not catch me saying that too often about something with this color scheme...)

Easily one of the most deco designs in the whole derby and yet it stills puts the non-deco to shame! Very good!

edkat873

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edkat873

This design reminds me of Watership Down. Maybe it is speaking to my subconscious, since I watched that bizarre film many times as a kid.

Solid design anyway; it speaks to me artistically as well. It seems that all of the woot shirts I've bought for myself thus far convey some sort of unusual motion or being on the brink of an action. It's hard to describe. But the arrow in this design also does this for me and I'm quite taken with it.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
cmdixon2 wrote:Thanks for your support Ramy, that means a lot. I can't express how excited I'd be to see this actually pull ahead. And thanks to everyone who has said such nice things about this design and who voted this up.

It's always so hard to tell in contests like this when nothing in the top 3 has fallen out of the fog in almost 4 days, but either way, I think it's safe to bet that you'll be getting a print soon, whether this week or in a coming week with the work you've been submitting :D

Anthony3419

Re: Construct

I still think your design is the best in this derby. If only if were still in the fog!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: The Wings of Ra a la' Deco...

I don't know enough about art history to classify this as deco or something else. Near as I can tell, some people claim it fits the style and some people claim it doesn't.

I know two things for sure:

1) This doesn't have a prayer of winning and
2) That's a crying shame because this is a great design. Like it this time just as much as the first time around.

GMV (again).

Lynne80401

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lynne80401
re: recycle deco

wow. Love it

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
BaldBob007 wrote:Agree.

A well done squid design is certain to pull in a ton of votes around here. I think that though this is atomiccate's first derby, she (i would presume?) obviously knows the way to a wooter's heart. ;)

My only criticism would be that the print size is enormous. Other than that - very nice.

Cephelapods are popular in all reaches of internet shirtdom.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
akumachan wrote:come on people??!! Where's the bunny-love???

Bunny-love is everywhere. Bunnies have a reputation of too much bunny-love.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

KingFalcon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KingFalcon

I really really like it. Too bad it doesn't look like it has a chance .

ablatman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ablatman
kandiiz wrote:thanks for the comments everyone!
i'm just happy that people liked it as a design because its definitely fair it got rejected as i don't really quite get art deco :P

I love the design, if you get it printed, I'd like to know. If more derby entries were of this quality, then I'd probably be buying more shirts from Woot.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
Re: Modern Rocket Transportation

I like this one a lot. It reminds me a little of TomorrowLand in DisneyLand :D

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
cpospisil wrote:I completely agree. I read these boards every week, and it's amazing to me that people can get so hateful over a bunch of tshirts. It's like a group of sixth grade girls squabbling over a boy, sickening and tiresome. Maybe if they spent less time being jealous of someone else's success, and more time on their own designs, assuming they have any, they'd win occasionally, too.

This is why woot(!) artists have such a high turnover rate. Very few of the artists from, say, a year ago are still around.

Check out my blog:Here!

Anthony3419

eHalcyon wrote:Bunny-love is everywhere. Bunnies have a reputation of too much bunny-love.

Don't forget the little people....lol

Urtawkin2adork83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Urtawkin2adork83
re: squideco - art decopodiformes

ummm look kinda like a Laser Floyd show

Urtawkin2adork83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Urtawkin2adork83
Re: SquiDeco - Art Decopodiformes

Thanks woot for censoring the scientific term...

ummmm looks kinda phallic

hopefully that wont be changed to floyd lazer show

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
re: get on the mike

Thanks for all of the amazing support this week! I am blown away. Please keep voting if you want to see this shirt printed. Thanks!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
rmjwell wrote:I wish there was something that I Had To Have so I could buy it and then vote for your design. I hope it gets enough votes to be made into a shirt so I *can* buy it!

There's a wootoff going on today, so you have a variety of possibilities, one after another, as long as you buy before noon central.

gh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gh01
Re: Get on the Mike

Coolest shirt on the leader board - hope it wins

gh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gh01

PeterPucker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PeterPucker
Re: Detail, the Pucker Building, Chicago, resubmission

My whole family would enjoy shirts like this one!

Anthony3419

PeterPucker wrote:My whole family would enjoy shirts like this one!

That would be a little awkward if everyone showed up on Easter wearing this same shirt....lol

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
casey7725 wrote:One of the best in my opinion

I really like it, maybe it came in too late, or it's just the wrong week...

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Caught in the Waves

That's right happy whale... Show that giant squid you ain't no joke by spraying water that strangles everything in its path. Wait.... What???? I don't get it...

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Anthony3419 wrote:That would be a little awkward if everyone showed up on Easter wearing this same shirt....lol

I'd feel odd hugging someone if we were both wearing this shirt. It'd be a hug and a kiss!

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Urtawkin2adork83 wrote:Thanks woot for censoring the scientific term...

ummmm looks kinda phallic

hopefully that wont be changed to floyd lazer show

Oh you mean it looks like a GIANT, RED Laser Floyd show.. Well if your Laser Floyd show, has eyes and tentacles and has a 45 degree angle in it then you got issues.

hajile

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hajile
cmdixon2 wrote:Here's my entry. I'm not usually a fan of art deco, but I enjoyed making this. Hope you like it!

Here's a detail view

Hmm, I just can't "see" it. :/
I'm missing what everyone else seems to like about it.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
ZMaiden wrote: You know what I think would be an interesting experiment Ramy? You should submit a design on a pseudonym, to see if it gets the same vitriol. I'm not saying everyone was wrong to critique him, but I have a feeling that some people may be scrutinizing his entries week to week just to find anything negative they can say. Which is just as wrong, imo, as mindlessly saying a design is good.

No offense, but his style wouldn't work with this experiment, as it's too recognizable here.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Anthony3419

Josephus wrote:
I'd feel odd hugging someone if we were both wearing this shirt. It'd be a hug and a kiss!

It would bring a whole nother meaning to "Chest Bumping"

atomiccate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomiccate
mitchellp wrote:Oh you mean it looks like a GIANT, RED Laser Floyd show.. Well if your Laser Floyd show, has eyes and tentacles and has a 45 degree angle in it then you got issues.

well, if it were in anime, it probably would have tentacles.

--

thanks again for the kind comments. i've been an octopus and squid fan for quite a while. i also like kittens, penguins, monkeys, dragonflies, and my favorite, lemurs. but squid just seemed to work best for art deco.