nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen
ambergreen wrote:I have the autumn music notes one, which I loved the design, but it ended up being too dark on the brown shirt and difficult to see.

Aww, that's a shame

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I'm hoping fable brings back her fiddle-playing devil.

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit

Ahem... Just to get this out of my system: MINSIES! Firsties! Dibs!

Ok, I feel better now.

My concept drawing (Obviously needing a lot of work):

WaluigiWoots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WaluigiWoots

Alright, clarification question:

If I want to submit a design featuring a play on 'triplets' (a music notation featuring three grouped and attached notes), would I be able to put the small "3" above the bar that is latching them together, or does that count as text? It's a crucial part of the musical symbol and I'm not trying to use it as text in this situation...

nrarmen

WaluigiWoots wrote:Alright, clarification question:

If I want to submit a design featuring a play on 'triplets' (a music notation featuring three grouped and attached notes), would I be able to put the small "3" above the bar that is latching them together, or does that count as text? It's a crucial part of the musical symbol and I'm not trying to use it as text in this situation...

I think we're all trying to figure that out but I would say they wouldn't like the 3. Submit it with a 3 and worse come to worst remove the 3 and resubmit.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

masterkraig wrote:Oh man, large topic.

Have we concluded that music notes aren't text?

Notes will be allowed.

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
databit wrote:Ahem... Just to get this out of my system: MINSIES! Firsties! Dibs!

Ok, I feel better now.

oh man! i have the same idea... i guess it's a race who puts it out first!

gone!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
SavedChristian wrote:I do hope that you will! However, we need to find out if musical notation is a no-no this week because I think it would add quite a bit of completeness to your shirt.

Last time I was only able to put the notes on there. THis time I'm adding background elements such as wavy musical bars and instrument silhouettes.

SkekTek

joelterrific wrote:Notes will be allowed.

Thanks Joel!!

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
nrarmen wrote:I think we're all trying to figure that out but I would say they wouldn't like the 3. Submit it with a 3 and worse come to worst remove the 3 and resubmit.

I'm sure it would be rejected with the three - '3' counts as text (no matter the usage).

KUClerks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
sekiyoku wrote:I'm sure it would be rejected with the three - '3' counts as text (no matter the usage).

I would recommend slashes or dots or something, in the shape of a 3, but not the 3 itself. They rejected playing cards with just the K or Q on them, so I think for sure it'll be a problem, unless it's so small they can't see it, but then that defeats the purpose I suppose... It's just a suggestion, I don't know if that might be qualification for rejection too though.

edit: ^ huhhuh, looks like I should have read to the bottom, 7 minutes too slow!

nrarmen

sekiyoku wrote:I'm sure it would be rejected with the three - '3' counts as text (no matter the usage).

Yeah. Plus, without the 3 I think you're safe using triplets. The people who are musically educated will understand they are triplets and the musically uneducated won't even know the difference.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
databit wrote:Ahem... Just to get this out of my system: MINSIES! Firsties! Dibs!

Ok, I feel better now.

Reminds me of seth green's character in the italian job, except for a man instead of a woman.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
KUClerks wrote:I would recommend slashes or dots or something, in the shape of a 3, but not the 3 itself. They rejected playing cards with just the K or Q on them, so I think for sure it'll be a problem, unless it's so small they can't see it, but then that defeats the purpose I suppose... It's just a suggestion, I don't know if that might be qualification for rejection too though.

edit: ^ huhhuh, looks like I should have read to the bottom, 7 minutes too slow!

Slashes or dots in the shape of a 3 would probably still get rejected for being text, unless it doesn't look like a 3 at all (which would defeat the purpose).

Fable should be in love with this theme. I wish I had time to do something for this one too...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

databit

chade2001 wrote:oh man! i have the same idea... i guess it's a race who puts it out first!

Nah, PUt yours out, it will look different. Probably better. I look forward to seeing it! I am still doing mine.

KUClerks

So what's considered closely related to music? How close are we talking? And what the heck to they mean my served the summons and investigations? Eh...

So where is the line drawn between music and not music? Because obviously people are going to use the heck out of music notes and that shenanigans, and guitars like mad, and maybe piano keys, but anything that's actually ORIGINAL... now, how’s that going to fair against the rejectionator? I hate this vagueness with specific implications, it's what gets me rejected over and over and over. When someone says black, where most people say white, I would say blue! I'm just not on the same wavelength... confusing like whatttt. GRrrrrrrrrrr.

KUClerks

eHalcyon wrote:Slashes or dots in the shape of a 3 would probably still get rejected for being text, unless it doesn't look like a 3 at all (which would defeat the purpose).

Fable should be in love with this theme. I wish I had time to do something for this one too...

You think even like this?

They said it was a crucial part, and using a three would obviously disqualify them. Has anyone ever tried doing something like this?

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
KUClerks wrote:You think even like this?

They said it was a crucial part, and using a three would obviously disqualify them. Has anyone ever tried doing something like this?

That is still a 3 even though it's made of several dots instead of one continuous line, and it would make the design get rejected. The first example that comes to mind is an infinity sign that was made out of individual pairs of pants, which got rejected in the Lyrics Illustrated derby. Look it up if you like.

I think if the designer makes eighth note triplets with the bar attaching them as they would be properly notated, only missing the 3 (which doesn't always appear anyway), anyone who understands music notation will get what I'm assuming is going to be a pun.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

A long time ago I made a design that combined my two favorite things electronic music and mountains, and then I submitted it as a daily. It was rejected and I was holding onto it for no good reason really, should I submit it?

WaluigiWoots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WaluigiWoots
ansharp wrote:That is still a 3 even though it's made of several dots instead of one continuous line, and it would make the design get rejected. The first example that comes to mind is an infinity sign that was made out of individual pairs of pants, which got rejected in the Lyrics Illustrated derby. Look it up if you like.

I think if the designer makes eighth note triplets with the bar attaching them as they would be properly notated, only missing the 3 (which doesn't always appear anyway), anyone who understands music notation will get what I'm assuming is going to be a pun.

Thanks for the comments everyone! We'll try without the 3... hopefully the title will help indicate that they are, indeed, triplets, and not just a random grouping of eighth notes.
Happy designing to all!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
dekonstruct wrote:A long time ago I made a design that combined my two favorite things electronic music and mountains, and then I submitted it as a daily. It was rejected and I was holding onto it for no good reason really, should I submit it?

I don't know how much it reads "music" but, it's a cool design anyway!
It reminds me of the president's song Volcano.

KUClerks

ansharp wrote:That is still a 3 even though it's made of several dots instead of one continuous line, and it would make the design get rejected. The first example that comes to mind is an infinity sign that was made out of individual pairs of pants, which got rejected in the Lyrics Illustrated derby. Look it up if you like.

I can look it up if I like? I put the question marks on there because I didn't know, and since I'm not the designer, I really don't care. It was just a suggestion.

Xenora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora
dekonstruct wrote:A long time ago I made a design that combined my two favorite things electronic music and mountains, and then I submitted it as a daily. It was rejected and I was holding onto it for no good reason really, should I submit it?

THE HOLY GRAIL OF MUSIC SHIRTS -- THE SYNTH SHIRT!!! XENORA MUST HAVE!!!

*gasps for breath* It was nice to get that out of my system. I'll say this prematurely but...

Got!
My!
Vote!

*later...*
Hmm, just to be on the safe side, maybe you should do an entirely new layout to avoid the rejection hammer....
Really, please... MAKE A SYNTH SHIRT!!!
*maniacly tackles deckonstruct*

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
databit wrote:Nah, PUt yours out, it will look different. Probably better. I look forward to seeing it! I am still doing mine.

Are you just going to let Chade get away with that? You had dibs!

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Xenora wrote:THE HOLY GRAIL OF MUSIC SHIRTS -- THE SYNTH SHIRT!!! XENORA MUST HAVE!!!

*gasps for breath* It was nice to get that out of my system. I'll say this prematurely but...

Got!
My!
Vote!

*later...*
Hmm, just to be on the safe side, maybe you should do an entirely new layout to avoid the rejection hammer....
Really, please... MAKE A SYNTH SHIRT!!!
*maniacly tackles deckonstruct*

Your enthusiasm has swelled my pants. I don't think I'd need to do a whole different layout, it's never been printed or submitted to a derby before.

Xenora

dekonstruct wrote:Your enthusiasm has swelled my pants.

0_o

dekonstruct wrote:I don't think I'd need to do a whole different layout, it's never been printed or submitted to a derby before.

Okay, then... I guess you could sumbit it, but I do challenge you to make some revisions on the design. For a start, can you make the mountains so that they remind me more of a saw sound wave?

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes

interesting...

i wonder what I can come up with.

ZoologyGirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZoologyGirl
nrarmen wrote:Well, I'll be banging on a trash can and drumming on a street light for the time being. :P

Doug, eh? :D

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Slightly off topic, but anyone not seen this trailer for Where the Wild Things Are movie yet? I bring it up because the music in it is really great (and the movie looks damn good too). Anyway if you're looking for inspiration or something to watch/listen to while you're trying to come up with a music design, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Xenora

^ Very off topic, but I have to agree with you whole heartedly about that looking like a good movie.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Xenora wrote:^ Very off topic, but I have to agree with you whole heartedly about that looking like a good movie.

Hey it's got good music in it. Music is on topic!

databit

Leahbh wrote:Reminds me of seth green's character in the italian job, except for a man instead of a woman.

I have not seen the italian job. I was kind of thinking Back to the Future when I thought this up.

humps411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humps411
tgentry wrote:Slightly off topic, but anyone not seen this trailer for Where the Wild Things Are movie yet? I bring it up because the music in it is really great (and the movie looks damn good too). Anyway if you're looking for inspiration or something to watch/listen to while you're trying to come up with a music design, do yourself a favor and check it out.

I'm extremely excited about this flick. I don't think I could have had a childhood without that book...and that other book with the caterpillar that eats everything. Growing up embrangles!

humps411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humps411

So anything with Britney Spears would be disqualified since it's not music, right?

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
databit wrote:I have not seen the italian job. I was kind of thinking Back to the Future when I thought this up.

well, in the movie, the they are all talking about what they want to buy with their cut of the loot and seth green's idea is to buy a stereo so powerful that it would blow a woman's clothes off.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
tgentry wrote:Slightly off topic, but anyone not seen this trailer for Where the Wild Things Are movie yet? I bring it up because the music in it is really great (and the movie looks damn good too). Anyway if you're looking for inspiration or something to watch/listen to while you're trying to come up with a music design, do yourself a favor and check it out.

I saw it last night. I can't tell if the movie looks amazing or if I'm just fooled by how much I love the Arcade Fire song that's being played.

SkekTek

Looks like the buttons and dials on my Korg Poly-61M...

Anthony3419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419

Okay, this is what I was thinking for this derby. I could not get the CMYK theme out of my head so here it is. Please let me know what you all think. Also, a name would be cool too.

killopo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killopo

'Wake Up' is one of my most favorite Arcade Fire songs, right next to 'Rebellion'. I'm definitely going to listen to some AF while designing...

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes
BootsBoots wrote:I saw it last night. I can't tell if the movie looks amazing or if I'm just fooled by how much I love the Arcade Fire song that's being played.

Marketing victim! :-D