kmtfk6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmtfk6

This will be perfect for a friend. Great timing too. It should be here by his birthday.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
dijin wrote:I see. Who here has actually used that phrase?

Can I use it when I prepare a PB&J sandwich?

If everything is set up just so ;-).

mikeytorres2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeytorres2

Hey everyone, this is Mikey the artist behind this shirt. I just wanted to explain that the design was inspired by one of my tattoos, which I got after graduating from culinary school. I was a contestant on NBC's The Chopping Block and wore a woot shirt in the first challenge. Woot approached me with the idea of doing my own shirt for foodies, and here it is! Don't let this little anecdote get you down though, I'm very much enjoying your interpretations! Thanks!!!
btw, if you want to see my tatt, go to
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=22361053&albumID=248611&imageID=57743567#a=248611&i=8450235

or if someone knows how to post a pic in these little boxes, go ahead and steal it from myspace and post it!

shutts67

quality posts: 17 Private Messages shutts67

Damnit!!! This culinary student may need this shirt...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

mattmg6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattmg6

I'm a chef and would consider buying this but I have too many black woot shirts already, and it is kind of simple. The phrase is used in the kitchen to describe the different ingredients of a dish that you get together to make a whole. "I'm going to gather the Mise en Place for this soup, then I'm gonna make that sucker!" Sometimes abbreviated as just "Mise".

30ish shirts for me, 15 random shirts, and 8 other woots. Been crashing the servers on 5 Bunch of Crepes's and have yet to get one.

scottique

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottique

Is the apostrophe error part of the joke? If so, I'm baffled by it.

stpaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stpaul

I think a better concept would be a row of smaller silhouettes like these

Mise en place

robertlucas0327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertlucas0327

Its defiantly a cook thing. In a kitchen you must be the master of your mise. Everything that you need. proteins, veg, salt and pepper, sauces, tongs, spoons, a bain marie (water bath), your line knife (usually smaller than your prep knife to conserve room on a tight line(which is where you cook during service)). Cooking has its whole own set of terms that wouldn't make much sense to an outsider.

I bought one, thought it was great!

hookemhorns212

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212

I am a little frightened about all the knife jokes. Are the woot staffers back stabbing one another?

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
mikeytorres2 wrote:Hey everyone, this is Mikey the artist behind this shirt. I just wanted to explain that the design was inspired by one of my tattoos, which I got after graduating from culinary school. I was a contestant on NBC's The Chopping Block and wore a woot shirt in the first challenge. Woot approached me with the idea of doing my own shirt for foodies, and here it is! Don't let this little anecdote get you down though, I'm very much enjoying your interpretations! Thanks!!!

did you use a picture that you took or get one from google? looks like a Forschner knife to me.

shutts67

stpaul wrote:I think a better concept would be a row of smaller silhouettes like these

Mise en place

I suppose, but the way I learned it is that it's EVERYTHING you're gong to need. It's more than just knives, but also your product, mixing bowls, cutting board, etc.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

robertlucas0327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertlucas0327
mikeytorres2 wrote:Hey everyone, this is Mikey the artist behind this shirt. I just wanted to explain that the design was inspired by one of my tattoos, which I got after graduating from culinary school. I was a contestant on NBC's The Chopping Block and wore a woot shirt in the first challenge. Woot approached me with the idea of doing my own shirt for foodies, and here it is! Don't let this little anecdote get you down though, I'm very much enjoying your interpretations! Thanks!!!

Please design more! all the food shirts on the net suck! I bought this one. Need a good Foie shirt too!

mikeytorres2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeytorres2
rglee129 wrote:I guess woot is officially going for the quasi-celebrity angle? I wonder if woot sought out Mikey or is he also a graphic designer on the side. I want to know more about the process out of curiosity...

Woot found me, but aside from being a chef I dabble in fashion and wanted to make and design clothing for chefs and foodies, so I was happy to answer Woot's call!

jimfrog67

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimfrog67
smithsonia wrote:"Everything in its place": no apostrophe.

Exactly.

Woot, here's an easy way to remember:
It's = it is (like don't = do not)
Its = belong to it (like his [not him's or hi's] = belonging to him).

Thanks.

SeeTheArt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeeTheArt

Too bad it doesn't glow in the dark.

shutts67

SeeTheArt wrote:Too bad it doesn't glow in the dark.

Yeah, I LOVE cooking in the dark...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

hookemhorns212

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212
shutts67 wrote:Yeah, I LOVE cooking in the dark...

Yes and using knives in the dark is a wonderful idea

Matingas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Matingas

it just looks emo

sortelma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sortelma

[quote postid="3117577" user="mikeytorres2"]Hey everyone, this is Mikey the artist behind this shirt. I just wanted to explain that the design was inspired by one of my tattoos, which I got after graduating from culinary school. I was a contestant on NBC's The Chopping Block and wore a woot shirt in the first challenge. Woot approached me with the idea of doing my own shirt for foodies, and here it is! Don't let this little anecdote get you down though, I'm very much enjoying your interpretations! Thanks!!!

It think it's great! So many foodie jokes to use too.

neophyte34

quality posts: 1 Private Messages neophyte34

wow.. that was wierd. i was watching the Chopping Block on Hulu for the first time, on a whim, and just happened to click over to shirt.woot during an ad, and whattya know... there's mikey's design. does that mean I should buy it?

moukun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moukun

are the words supposed to mirror into another word?

sixtrees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sixtrees

this chef in for one!

ChefRAZ

http://www.nbc.com/chopping-block/video/episodes/?vid=1058667#vid=1058667 looks a bit staged to me. two things fell glass broke all on the first challenge?

auntiesash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntiesash

I love this shirt. I do martial arts and I speak french. I understand the cooking reference, but I like the double meaning (intentional or not) about finding someplace appropriate (and probably violent) to store this stray knife.

octowoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages octowoot
ChefRAZ wrote:http://www.nbc.com/chopping-block/video/episodes/?vid=1058667#vid=1058667 looks a bit staged to me. two things fell glass broke all on the first challenge?

Yeah, that scene bothered me too when I watched that episode. It was staged and it showed.

Things like that are probably why The Chopping Block was just unceremoniously canceled by NBC (did I say canceled? I should have said "taken out behind the woodshed and shot"). I actually liked the show, even though it had more than its share of problems and made me cringe on several occasions, and I'm hoping they'll eventually air the rest of the episodes (instead of the Law & Order reruns that took its place), but who knows...

nefariousyawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nefariousyawn

Yes! Finally a Shirt.Woot that appeals to me! My girlfriend and I are foodies, we work in kitchens, and this speaks to us. I'm buying 3.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

My first woot(!) in quite a while :-)

j'aime bien celui ci.

Check out my blog:Here!

luciernaga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luciernaga

Forget the shirt, I want to learn how to cook "mise en place!"

I might be slightly disorganized.

buy at shirt.woot!

ChefRAZ

there you go chef .....................

ChefJoAnnaM

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChefJoAnnaM

meh.

This isn't "designed" so much as "pasted text to a piece of clip art".

I'd consider buying it if there was even a *little* creativity involved.

¡ʎɹƃunɥ ʎɹǝʌ 'ʎɹǝʌ ǝɹɐ noʎ :ǝƃɐssǝɯ lɐuıɯılqns

KidKobun

quality posts: 6 Private Messages KidKobun
corruptdcrusadr wrote:I think a shirt like this will get me sent home or something.

Get sent home...LOL
Ah, to be in middle school again.

Morrigon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Morrigon

OhMyGod, this is such a chef's shirt. I'm trying really hard to resist buying this. But with 22 hours left to go, I may lose the battle with my budget. I love it!

chazantoine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chazantoine
dijin wrote:I see. Who here has actually used that phrase?

Can I use it when I prepare a PB&J sandwich?

yes and yes.

piecesof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piecesof
SailorButterfly wrote:Yes. It literally means "put in place".

In the culinary world it means "Everything in it's place." As in being prepared with your ingredients and tools.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
ChefRAZ wrote: there you go chef .....................

So, did you sue woot for copyright reasons yet? ;)

oh wait... that's probably not your tattoo, is it?

tjwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjwood

Woah. If people had issues about Monday's shirt encouraging use of inhalants, this must surely be way worse for the unfortunate-interpretation-out-of-intended-context brigade?

Maybe this is a cultural thing, but in Britain at the moment knife crime is (perhaps wrongly) portrayed as the cause of all evil (we don't have guns, so our kids carry knives instead. Or something). So I'm not sure I'd want to (or want to see anyone) go round with a knife and the phrase "put in place" on my chest. That's only a tiny step removed from having a knife and the words "go stabby" or something. Not a happy image.

ChefRAZ

JadenKale wrote:So, did you sue woot for copyright reasons yet? ;)

oh wait... that's probably not your tattoo, is it?

thats the designers tat. I wouldn't be caught dead with something like that on my...anywhere on me. Jaden always late to the game? huh =P

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig

Yeah I didn't exactly get it.

It reminds me of the famous "ceci n'est pas une pipe"

Except with a knife.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

astaire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astaire

I'm a big foodie but I don't work in a kitchen.. so I can't decide whether I should get this or not. I love it though!

gibson5string

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gibson5string

Apparently alot of people have visited Google to decipher the meaning behind this shirt!