WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Bolt on your finest iron top hat, strap yourself into your personal gyrocopter, and soar clanking and hissing into the steampunk yesteryear. The Victorian sci-fi aesthetic has proven to be a fertile and enduring source of inspiration for subculture weirdos everywhere. But if you have no idea what we're talking about, start with the Steampunk article on good old Wikipedia, especially the technology section. Show us what a 21st-century mind can do with 19th-century machines.

Incidental text is OK, with an emphasis on incidental.
Numbers on a dial or directions on a lever are probably OK. But if the concept of your design is dependent on text, we will reject it. This has always been the rule; we're going to be stricter about enforcing it.

Quality Posts

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

oooh.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

So Draxxx is gonna have 4 designs in the fog this week?

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen

Very cool :D I can't wait to see what designs there will be this week!

wmorrill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmorrill

Sounds fun, I expect Draxxx will have a good entry for this one

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

I'm expecting a Drakxx win.

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes

My steampunk entry base sketch.

This post will be updated with the completed design.

It's a "steam pc" pneumatic tube for IM. Old fashioned ticker for financials. furnace that feeds the boiler for recycling bin, 6 vynil record gear spindle for winamp, typewriter for word, encased film development dome for photoshop, and an etch-a-sketch based excel board. :-)

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

I may be forced to take another week off. Steampunk demands a creativity I've yet to find floating around my right brain regions.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

It's gonna be a tough comp this week!!!
Hey, drakxx, give the other people a chance, we know you wrok @ this stuff.
Man, I wish I had more time.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Josephus wrote:oooh.

Are you gonna put your popcorn tee on sale anywhere? If so, I'd like to get one.

As for the theme, I immediately thought of drakxxx, too. Seems woot is getting their derby themes from past entries.

So, this kinda also made me think of sky captain and the world of tomorrow. Is that way off?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

While I like this theme a lot, I know I'm just not talented enough to pull it off. So I'm taking this derby off.

But, there are those of you who CAN do this style well, and I expect great things from you

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

I doubt I can make anything cool enough for this but I'm really looking forward to the entries! Great theme!

databit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit

Dibs on minesies firsties idea.... now I just have to come up with it.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

0MG 0MG!!!! I <3 Steampunk yay!!! Now yes, the question is am I good enough to pull this off???.. have no ideas so far, but whatever happens I'm buying at least one shirt out of this!!!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Steam... punk... hmmm. Steampunk. Oy. Well at least I won't have the problem of too many ideas (I hope!).

SkekTek

What do people think of this?

I did this a long time ago. I don't have the original handy, so I just took a picture of a copy in one of my portfolios. Is this suitably SteamPunky if I take out the fills and replace with hatching?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
SkekTek wrote:What do people think of this?

I did this a long time ago. I don't have the original handy, so I just took a picture of a copy in one of my portfolios. Is this suitably SteamPunky if I take out the fills and replace with hatching?

add a steam whistle and you're golden.

SkekTek

no1 wrote:add a steam whistle and you're golden.

Hilarious! I was gonna replace the screw coming out of the head with a whistle and smaller screws coming out of the body (ie- birdsong is just whistles, etc).

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

I have always loved that victorian sci-fi aesthetic...and its actually pretty trendy right now. I think we will get some really cool stuff out this derby. I hope to buying at least one of the Steampunk derby winners!

illuminator

Additional references.

Steampunk Art = cool retro looking gadgets/weapons/machines (hence steam) + old timey warrior/detective/renegade(punk)

Good movies for reference: Wild Wild West, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Golden Compass.

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig

Congrats Draxxx on the print(s)!

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

Oh man, this is gonna be freakin' awesome.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Steampunk Zombies?

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
illuminator wrote:Additional references.

Steampunk Art = cool retro looking gadgets/weapons/machines (hence steam) + old timey warrior/detective/renegade(punk)

Good movies for reference: Wild Wild West, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Golden Compass.

City of Ember
is what I immediately thought of when I saw all these links.

Is that a steam punkish movie?

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
striker138 wrote:So Draxxx is gonna have 4 designs in the fog this week?

Let us hope...

SkekTek

Forgot my favorite and the ultimate in Steampunk IMO: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

4Se7ens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4Se7ens

I was going to do something similar to this until I looked it up and found it:

Do they even still reject shirts for similar concepts? It doesn't seem like it.

4Se7ens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4Se7ens

Also, that looks gorgeous Skek. Go fer it.

illuminator

bellarific wrote: City of Ember
is what I immediately thought of when I saw all these links.

Is that a steam punkish movie?

Haven't seen that one but I'm not sure.. steampunk stuff usually occurs in the past, but they have a futuristic view of things. Like if they were to invent the electric guitar back in victorian times, it would look like this:

So there's a lot of "what ifs" to play with. ;)

illuminator

SkekTek wrote:Forgot my favorite and the ultimate in Steampunk IMO: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Yay! I love that one too. :D

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

I'm kinda thinking of Firefly and Serenity. They're based in the future, but seem kinda steampunk to me. I don't know. They're like the wild west in the future, so I think it fits.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
striker138 wrote:So Draxxx is gonna have 4 designs in the fog this week?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu
Leahbh wrote:I'm kinda thinking of Firefly and Serenity. They're based in the future, but seem kinda steampunk to me. I don't know. They're like the wild west in the future, so I think it fits.

That's the first thought I had, too. I'm going with something different, though.

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Leahbh wrote:Are you gonna put your popcorn tee on sale anywhere? If so, I'd like to get one.

woot has rights for 60 days. I might try it on Unetee after that, or one of the other sites. I'd rather it got screenprinted, so I doubt that I'd put it up in a shop.

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10

YEAH!!! sweet topic

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I love the steampunk style when done correctly (so I expect great things from you, Drakxxx). Sadly this is not a style I can do well, and I've actually been trying to attempt it for months now with little success.

goldensilver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldensilver
Leahbh wrote:I'm kinda thinking of Firefly and Serenity. They're based in the future, but seem kinda steampunk to me. I don't know. They're like the wild west in the future, so I think it fits.

Random lurker here. Those movies are closer to Cyberpunk, which is basically a subset of Steampunk wherein futuristic concepts like spaceships and teleportation and laser guns are shifted back into a wild west / dystopic setting. Think stuff like Blade Runner and you've got the right idea. I'd assume, for this challenge, that they're looking for more direct Steampunk ideas rather than Cyberpunk ideas.

LenCar25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LenCar25

Now this could be really really interesting haha good luck to all entrants

illuminator

JadenKale wrote:I love the steampunk style when done correctly (so I expect great things from you, Drakxxx). Sadly this is not a style I can do well, and I've actually been trying to attempt it for months now with little success.

Ditto... I shall try, once more, just out of principle.