rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: The Aviator

This shirt will be fun to wear. Lots of shirt color showing through for that famous Cho-flexibility, despite the relatively large size of the print.

malletchelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malletchelle
Re: Personal Steamputer

There's really a TON going on here. More focus would nice - something simple but not too much so. Maybe pulling your favorite elements out of this design and condensing it. There's too much for the eye to take in and it just ends up going, "oh ... cool" rather than "oh wow ... look at these 4-5 really AWESOME aspects" ...

Just a bit of input as a consumer - I know my art would never make it to the top 4 but this really has a lot of potential. Overall, great work. :-)

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: The Aviator

Appreciate it everyone. A hardcore job, and other work has kept me from here, but i'll try to submit more when there is an opportunity.

Thanks for the votes n Gigli (2003). YOU GUYZ R THE BEST BFFL 4EVA kikz.

Laser Floyd show.

rglee129

Re: Combustible Prey

Well done, Loop! That was a tough scene to draw but you nailed it- it really looks like it's tearing in to that bag. Excellent work.

Lundbeke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lundbeke
Re: Rustic

Cool!!!

jumcdona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jumcdona
Re: Let's Play

I absolutely love the textures you put in this, but I don't really feel the Steampunk in this. Adding steam and gear wheels doesn't make something Steampunk. I hope we'll be seeing more creative uses of textures in your future pieces! They really did turn out very well.

godierst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godierst
Re: NIGHTTIME COOLNESS

I'd wear it.

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Re: Gamepunk

Note to all of my supporters: If this shirt doesn't end up getting reinstated soon (which I'm sure it won't), it will be available for purchase at www.cafepress.com/A2Ts within the next day or so. Look for it! Thanks for your support!

jumcdona

Re: Synthetic Beauty

Much better! This one definitely fits the definition of Steampunk so much more than your robot entry. This is stunning. I hope it takes Top 3 because I /want/ this shirt. If I had my wishes, I'd wish this to be a large wall graphic to put in my computer room. sigh. It would sit over my lego Mechwarrior Madcat, lego AT-ST, lego speeder bike and Big Daddy (Bioshock 2) figure.

godierst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godierst
Re: The Girl in Red

At first glance, it looks really interesting. But then you see some massive, strangely placed smokestacks coming out of the wolf's back and are all "The breadsticks need marinara!"!? They're really oddly placed and seem out of proportion with the rest of the wolf. That and they just make no sense at all -- what the hell are they actually powering, anyways?

jumcdona

Jestik wrote:
Is this on black, or navy?

My monitor shows black.

rglee129

Re: Steam Goliath

This is great! The robot is awesome, the teeth are loose and perfect, you nailed the kid's posture... And then the placement is icing on the cake. Mad props.

sharnar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharnar
Re: Calling John Henry!

ok, AWESOME!!!

cmon guys FOG THAT SHIZ!

rglee129

sharnar wrote:

cmon guys FOG THAT SHIZ!

Word, pleaze.

Xenora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora
Re: Phineas the Aeronaut

Oh, come on! You just submited this a couple derbies ago! >.<

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

Xenora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora
Re: The Girl in Red

This is amazing, but it strikes me more as cyberpunk than steampunk.

Can you do a resub? The wolf needs gears and the smokestacks need to look more like tailpipes than factory smokestacks

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

dijin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin
Re: Steam Goliath

This is a great design. It deserves to be higher up!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

inirini

quality posts: 2 Private Messages inirini
elwayman02 wrote:hmm, I feel like this could be a little smaller on the shirt and look a lot better.

I agree, it would look a lot better if it was resized smaller. What pantone did you use for this shirt? As to clear up the confusion. :]

Seventeen shirts and counting

inirini

quality posts: 2 Private Messages inirini

That's what I was thinking. When I saw this, it screamed to be placed in top right of the shirt. Otherwise, nice work. Very clean and simple.

Seventeen shirts and counting

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

I'm so glad this one's done. I'm so sick of looking at it. Got trapped in details. I hope you guys like it.

Details

Cam22

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Cam22
Re: Outpost

This shirt is great! Fantastic placement on the different pieces. The floating islands are a nice touch.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Phineas the Aeronaut

If you're going to resubmit a design, it must be significantly modified. The rejectionator will judge whether or not your modification is "significant" - sometimes it's fine to just change the colour palette or add a couple of extra fluorishes to the background, sometimes redrawing the entire design is still not enough. But if you make no changes at all, it's almost a guaranteed rejection!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Personal Steamputer

The art is awesome. It's true about it being hard to quickly tell what's going on and find a fast focus (you're stuck in illustrator-mode aren't you!). I think if you could solve that problem, you'd be golden. The complexity of your art with a really simple focal point would be great.

Edit: this is already great as an illustration, I'm blown away by your style.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

AWESOME!

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
jumcdona wrote:My monitor shows black.

I was just noticing that myself. I originally thought it was brown! O_o But yeah, I think it's black.

whisperatdaybreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whisperatdaybreak
chade2001 wrote:woop! a definite buyer! thanks for the support!

you're welcome!

mixer23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23
Jestik wrote:I mean, I know the design is here, and I've already voted on it, but I just keep coming back and looking at it.

Same here, everytime I get on here I come back to this shirt... Full of win and awesome

TheBigDoak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheBigDoak

I don't understand this rejection at all....

What can't be pulled off?

schof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schof
Re: Synthetic Beauty

Orders of magnitude better than your other entry which is IMHO utter garbage.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
inirini wrote:I agree, it would look a lot better if it was resized smaller. What pantone did you use for this shirt? As to clear up the confusion. :]

I feel like things always print a little smaller than the artists show them on the shirt. Maybe it's just me. But for that reason, and because it shows up better in the comp, and mostly because I like it that way, I always show things a bit large.
The orange was Pantone 7417, like woot says to use, and it magically turned to red when I saved it as a jpg. If you know why let me know so it doesn't happen again. Pretty annoying when it does that.

krisrobinson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
dijin wrote:This is a great design. It deserves to be higher up!

thanks, looks like I'm destined for one of those middle-of-the-pack designs again. Maybe I need to try these at DBH or threadless...

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Re: Outpost

really really like the floating islands.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

I was really excited and motivated with this week's theme. I hope this is fitting enough for it.

Detail 1:

Detail 2:

Detail 3:

Detail 4:

Teknikas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas
Re: McSteamy Banana

This is awesome man...not sure why it appeals to me so much, but it really does! Got my vote earlier today, but didn't have time to comment

mstegosaurus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstegosaurus

So, I'm sitting here at work looking at shirts, and I see this one and I'm like "hey, this shirt's awesome" and I call my coworkers over to look at it, and they're like "yeah, that shirt's awesome", and then only after everyone's come and gawked did I realize it was yours.

Good show, old bean.

----
http://mstegosaurus.livejournal.com

Astolpho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Astolpho
eHalcyon wrote:If you're going to resubmit a design, it must be significantly modified. The rejectionator will judge whether or not your modification is "significant" - sometimes it's fine to just change the colour palette or add a couple of extra fluorishes to the background, sometimes redrawing the entire design is still not enough. But if you make no changes at all, it's almost a guaranteed rejection!

Ah, I see. I did ask, when the derby was announced but before it opened, what the rule was on resubmitting designs, and, helpfully, nobody responded.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
kdubbs29 wrote:Note to all of my supporters: If this shirt doesn't end up getting reinstated soon (which I'm sure it won't), it will be available for purchase at www.cafepress.com/A2Ts within the next day or so. Look for it! Thanks for your support!

Um K... you can't do that, regardless if it was rejected or not, woot has the rights to the design for 60 days. You've been around here long enough to know that.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Excellent job Robbie. I really like the smoke textures.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Gamepunk

"This is really, really clever, but Idon't think we can pull it off.]\\\\"

What does that mean exactly? Please explain better, because we don't know if you are saying too close to actual gameboy or artwork not printable.