picasserole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
jasneko wrote:I'm no judge of steampunk, but I like this picasserole... love the greens too.

Thanks and you're in good company on the first point.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Jestik wrote:wow. never saw IronGiant, but thanks for that pic. Pretty weird.

It's weird, I've never seen it either, although I have to say that the similarity is definitely there based on these pictures. When I saw the theme, I knew I wanted to do a steampunk robot outside of its element, and after several different sketches (I went through a train, scientist, plants, etc.) I finally settled on a dog. A lot of people complained that a dog doesn't belong in a steampunk world, but that's the whole point of the picture. Steampunk isn't an art style, it's like an alternate world, so I feel that the concept stands and I don't think it's off topic by any means (although some people are arguing that the robot itself is not steampunk, which is a separate issue, but having a dog in the picture doesn't mean that it can't be in a steampunk derby)- Anyway, the point is that the similarity to iron giant is hardly by inspiration, as I've never seen the film, but I agree that the resemblance is there.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
melite wrote:This honestly didn't deserve to be in the fog to begin with. On top of the rejection, the amount of time Drakxxx put into this sub seemed to be 1/2 of what he would normally put it.

The only drawing looks rushed and I wouldn't believe that Drakxxx sub'd it, other than the fact it has his name on it.

If I were Drakxxx, I would resub fixing everything that was poorly drawn.

Is this person serious??? I don't know whether to get mad or laugh hysterically.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Thanks so much for the votes and comments guys. I'm glad you like it.

I don't feel like it's completely finished, even though I put alot of time into it. I feel like there's too much shirt between the ship and the islands. Maybe I'll revisit it later.

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
ramyb wrote:It's weird, I've never seen it either, although I have to say that the similarity is definitely there based on these pictures. When I saw the theme, I knew I wanted to do a steampunk robot outside of its element, and after several different sketches (I went through a train, scientist, plants, etc.) I finally settled on a dog. A lot of people complained that a dog doesn't belong in a steampunk world, but that's the whole point of the picture. Steampunk isn't an art style, it's like an alternate world, so I feel that the concept stands and I don't think it's off topic by any means (although some people are arguing that the robot itself is not steampunk, which is a separate issue, but having a dog in the picture doesn't mean that it can't be in a steampunk derby)- Anyway, the point is that the similarity to iron giant is hardly by inspiration, as I've never seen the film, but I agree that the resemblance is there.

I honestly love your designs, both of them. THe robot one doesn't fit the traditional view of steampunk but I think it squishes into steampunk because it is showing something not so technologic interacting with something futuristic and spiffin. I would want that shirt.

but yeah, I thought of Iron Giant right away when I saw it :D

ankmet20

Re: steampunk family

isn't this just rather a copy of this actual metal working?

briannyc128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
MHBoston wrote:Good to see you designing for the Derby again.

So....did you ever get Powered by Cheese printed anywhere??

Thanks! No dice on PBC as of yet, though I haven't really bothered submitting elsewhere or anything like that. It's my white whale...

gizagiza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza
melite wrote:This honestly didn't deserve to be in the fog to begin with. On top of the rejection, the amount of time Drakxxx put into this sub seemed to be 1/2 of what he would normally put it.

The only drawing looks rushed and I wouldn't believe that Drakxxx sub'd it, other than the fact it has his name on it.

If I were Drakxxx, I would resub fixing everything that was poorly drawn.

I've bought every single Draxxx shirt that has been printed since I joined in February, I love his stuff, but you know what, I'd totally have to agree with you. I found the design also to be extremely rushed.

On the other hand, it's BS that this got rejected while there are many others that haven't... some of which are in the fog and really don't have much (or anything) to do with Steampunk, imo.

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
Re: Steamworks Operatica

this rejection is so messed up beyond belief! man, you got robbed big time! i'd be steamingly mad right now if this ever happened to me.

gone!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
kinzoku wrote:I really dig the wasteland feel to this.

T.S. Eliot hates you and your stupid soul.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
me2you wrote:This is awesome!!!

What exactly is it and how is this steampunk?

Spikam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spikam
Re: Fe-MAN

I think this design would look much better on a black shirt instead of a red but it looks good on the red also

greydruid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greydruid
ankmet20 wrote:isn't this just rather a copy of this actual metal working?

Aww, that's a shame. I knew it'd probably be rejected due to copyrights, but it being a ripoff just makes me sad.

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
h3xmachine wrote:Putting your shirt designs on sale at Cafe Press are a sure way to ensure your design wont get purchased by many. Cafe Press make horrid quality prints. Zazzle.com is a better printing/shirt quality vendor. In addition, there are T-shirt printing forums for procuring a good place to sell your designs.

Sorry this didnt make it: there is some ridiculously crappy art in this derby, and yours was one of the best submissions, IMO.

Thanks for the support about my shirt. The cafepress decision was a tough one. I have one friend who has done well on it, and we figured there might be some good volume there. We may change sites if this one doesn't work out for us. Its trial-and-error.

ankmet20

Re: The Idea

New Entry, feel free to stroke my confidence and vote :D

Atros

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Atros
Re: The Girl in Red

This is disappointing. I don't understand why this entry is anywhere near the top. The theme of this contest is steampunk, can someone please explain to me, specifically how this image represents steampunk?

Steampunk is typically inspired by design and craftsmanship from the victorian era, though at its root, steampunk is the chronological displacement of technological advances in a given era. What era does this represent? At best, it's just a confused anime drawing.

Even if you were to TRY and call it 'fantasy steampunk', there is nothing that suggests any kind of technological accomplishment of an era, and the fact that it apparently has "steam pipes" on the back of the wolf means nothing. They really fit with the cliche red eye.

The entire design just says to me "I don't get it. I missed the point of steampunk." And even with that aside, the design is very uninspired and boring. In fact, maybe the artist would have done better if they hadn't taken their inspiration from this:

http://www.thedigiport.com/01/01/metalgarurumon.jpg

ankmet20

Lundbeke wrote:Cool!!!

thank you :D

insanecomicdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanecomicdude
Re: Fe-MAN

This is very cool.

CaptainHistory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptainHistory
DeadFrog wrote:Thanks for that Captain History. What a fitting name I was aiming for a penny-farthing feel, but my intent wasn't to create a motorized version of the stereotypical penny-farthing.

I'd like to note that I do like the design and you have my vote.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

I'm a bit confused by the rejection as well, for the simple fact that I've submitted quite a few designs on asphalt, including Battle Fungale which woot printed, using the same exact shirt template that appears in the composition for this one, without ever having a problem.

For the heck of it, I'm going to send the art director Barbara an email explaining as such.

In regards to the design looking rushed,I assure you, this design took me the better part of 12 hours to put together. I went back in forth with illustrating the drawing with sketchy lines, then more precise lines, and the final result feel somewhere in the middle, which could explain some of the more jagged lines seen in the piece.

I love doing what I do, and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot, so I'll certainly be resubmitting this one with some changes, as well as a second design I've been working on for this contest. Please keep an eye out for it, and if you voted for it previously, I'd be most appreciative of your continued support.

Thanks again guys.

ankmet20

Drakxxx wrote:.
I love doing what I do, and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot, so I'll certainly be resubmitting this one with some changes, as well as a second design I've been working on for this contest. Please keep an eye out for it, and if you voted for it previously, I'd be most appreciative of your continued support.

Thanks again guys.

that really embrangles it got rejected, but I'm glad you're going to submit it again. some of us want that shirt :P

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa

i think someone in the woot staff seriously hates drakxxx, the only HM he has gotten in a long time was the collab with zenne, they don't answer his emails, never printed his daily and now are rejecting his design based on shirt color when there are lots of other people that have used the same template with no rejection...if i am not mistaken the template was woot approved at some point

if you want to do rejections please please reject all of the off topic designs, that would be great, if you could start with the fog that would be awesome

nesmit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nesmit
mixer23 wrote:Doesn't exactly scream steampunk to me, but I love it. An awesome spin on a classic...

Goggles!

jlinnen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlinnen

Absolutely Wonderful !

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
stingray69 wrote:Like LTU99 said, the agreement ends 60 days after submission. I think they put the language "Woot disclaims any interest" because Woot still might use non-winning derby submissions for daily shirts and a rejection doesn't preclude that.

On the issue of the rejection, it might be because of the Tetris reference rather than the GameBoy. If it's because of the GameBoy, it doesn't make sense. I don't recall Woot's history with Tetris. Still, I can see this as parody of GameBoy but it's not parody of Tetris.

to my knowledge woot has never rejected a tetris shirt before...there were tons of them in the video game through art history derby and random ones in other derbies...is it the combination of tetris & gameboy in one or is woot just being a jerkface

i'm not happy with the rejections this time around

spyderiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyderiii
insanecomicdude wrote:This is very cool.

Thx insanecomicdude. I try... ;)

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
ramyb wrote:When I saw the theme, I knew I wanted to do a steampunk robot outside of its element, and after several different sketches (I went through a train, scientist, plants, etc.) I finally settled on a dog. A lot of people complained that a dog doesn't belong in a steampunk world, but that's the whole point of the picture. Steampunk isn't an art style, it's like an alternate world, so I feel that the concept stands and I don't think it's off topic by any means (although some people are arguing that the robot itself is not steampunk, which is a separate issue, but having a dog in the picture doesn't mean that it can't be in a steampunk derby)

But that's really the point. You managed to add some steam to the robot but it's not steampunk in the slightest (which is fairly ironic given your strict adherence to an anime artstyle because steampunk is pretty well represented there).

So not only did you miss the boat on the portion of the design that is supposed to be on topic, you've centered everything around something which has nothing to do with steampunk whatsoever.

It really confuses me who's voting for this given steampunk is pretty well liked in the community and the designs which really pegged the theme aren't going to print unless something really drastic happens.....

2thFairy

Drakxxx wrote:... and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot...

I hope so, cause we would sure hate to lose you.

You definitely have our support. MORE DRAKXXX!! MORE DRAKXXX!!

2thFairy

mrwednesday wrote:
It really confuses me who's voting for this given steampunk is pretty well liked in the community and the designs which really pegged the theme aren't going to print unless something really drastic happens.....

I second that. Well said, well said.

2thFairy

leelaaa wrote: [...] if you want to do rejections please please reject all of the off topic designs, that would be great, if you could start with the fog that would be awesome

yessss!

ViciousSandpiper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ViciousSandpiper
Re: thy Pod

Nice concept. : D

mixer23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23
leelaaa wrote:i think someone in the woot staff seriously hates drakxxx, the only HM he has gotten in a long time was the collab with zenne, they don't answer his emails, never printed his daily and now are rejecting his design based on shirt color when there are lots of other people that have used the same template with no rejection...if i am not mistaken the template was woot approved at some point

if you want to do rejections please please reject all of the off topic designs, that would be great, if you could start with the fog that would be awesome

I wholly concur with that last part, and you could be on to something there... Though I'm not usually one to get into conspiracies and what not. However, I'm glad to hear that you'll definitely be sticking around, Drakxxx! You've become one of the designers I like best, and I applaud the way you've handled this current situation... I'd be way angry if I were you. In fact, I didn't put any work into this and I'm way angry!

mewlink64

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mewlink64
2thFairy wrote:I second that. Well said, well said.

I agree, most of the stuff in the fog is not really steampunk. The things that ARE steampunk are wallowing outside of the fog. So woot, what's going on in that little workshop of yours?

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Mother of all Doggie Beds

thanks everyone!

gizagiza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza
Drakxxx wrote:I love doing what I do, and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot, so I'll certainly be resubmitting this one with some changes, as well as a second design I've been working on for this contest. Please keep an eye out for it, and if you voted for it previously, I'd be most appreciative of your continued support.

<3 Draxxx's stuff

joeyishellagood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joeyishellagood
Re: Synthetic Beauty

I think this design is really cool and I like how it's off to the right in the picture. I'll definitely get one if it gets printed.

toshwrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toshwrat
re: steampunk family

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/steampunk_dalek11.jpg

its the same image?

goldenponies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldenponies
re: of the moment

Very pretty jewelwing. I really like the detailing and realisim. GMV!

ankmet20

Re: The Idea

I love this design...but the chances of it winning are tiny, anybody know of somewhere you can get you're own design printed for low cost?

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii

I've been thinking of moving on from woot shirts (to put more attention into other shirt sites) for a long time now. This pretty much takes the cake. Woot, rejectionator, whoever, you seriously omgwin!. The fact that you reject this, for something as minute (come on, it was obviously asphalt) as this, when at least 2 shirts currently in the fog right now aren't even on theme says that you have no respect whatsoever for the artists, and care solely about money.

Drak, I hope you get this printed elsewhere, because I was definitely going to shell out 10$ (15$ if it sold out before I could get to it) next weekend. Let us know where we can find this!