picasserole


quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
DiamondFace wrote:This one's great! I like the color choice.


I had no idea when I entered this design what the reaction would be, so thanks for the thumbs-up and take good care of that face( must be worth a small fortune )..;]

Garfie84


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Garfie84
Re: The Aviator



id buy it except for the color of the shirt. the black sketch with a black penguin and a black shirt kinda bleeds together and makes it harder to see the fine details.

its kinda hard to see but its a really awesome sketch though.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk



Only thing is, it's not on a color Woot prints. So sad.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Calling John Henry!



How is it that your robots just keep getting cooler and cooler? Definitely got my vote. Love the subtle reference on the shirt to John Henry, as well; some might get it immediately from the sledgehammer.

ankmet20


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Re: thy Pod



haha I really like this idea :D

ankmet20


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Re: thy Pod



haha I really like this idea :D

ViciousSandpiper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ViciousSandpiper
Re: Style Cogs



I love that you actually incorporated Victorian style elements. Unfortunately, probably too late to make it into the fog, but you've GMV.

DragonCMNDR


quality posts: 3 Private Messages DragonCMNDR
Re: Steam Friend



I should mention, I am always open to comments about how I can do stuff better... Thanks!

This is my second shirt entry, and I think I improved since my first, but I also know there is a lot I need to learn.

T-shirt designing seems like a whole new ballgame to me. (I'm a branding/identity print and web designer, almost... heh. (IE. BFA Student))

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Steamworks Operatica



The shirt colour shown is quite a bit lighter than the actual asphalt; I noticed it immediately when I looked at the comp. Yes, it is clearly supposed to be asphalt, but I don't think it's a faulty rejection since they've been pretty consistent about it (aside from one or two major blips that I can recall). For one thing, the black ink as shown in this composition stands out far more than it would on an actual asphalt shirt. People need to be more careful with their templates.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

gesso15


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gesso15

Would love on a black shirt, ala deep sea fishie?

xaon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages xaon

I realize i should have submitted this a long time ago, but i was working on an improved version of the original design which would have had more illustration and fit the theme better.
Unfortunately my computer seems to be dying on me and i'm getting quite frustrated with trying to get the thing finished. Since it's already almost the fourth day i don't think it would make much difference even if i did finish it. I don't think i will be doing any more resubs either, so i'm sorry if there's something wrong with it :\

So anyway, here's the center-placement resub that several people were asking for. The shirt color is Asphalt Gray.

For now i'm gonna head off to fix my comp and get ready for the next derby

SavedChristian


quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian
eHalcyon wrote:The shirt colour shown is quite a bit lighter than the actual asphalt; I noticed it immediately when I looked at the comp. Yes, it is clearly supposed to be asphalt, but I don't think it's a faulty rejection since they've been pretty consistent about it (aside from one or two major blips that I can recall). For one thing, the black ink as shown in this composition stands out far more than it would on an actual asphalt shirt. People need to be more careful with their templates.



Another quality post perhaps? As Drakxxx pointed out, he used this same template for Battle Fungale which went to print! Therefore, it is a double standard on Woot's part.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SavedChristian wrote:Another quality post perhaps? As Drakxxx pointed out, he used this same template for Battle Fungale which went to print! Therefore, it is a double standard on Woot's part.



I think that means that Drakxxx got a free pass on Battle Fungale when it actually should have been rejected. Also, the spot colours in Battle Fungale are less impacted by a lighter shirt comp than the colours in this design; the black stands out more on the lighter comp than it would on the correct colour.

My condolences to drakxxx though. I wasn't fond of the design, but I think it's better than the ones in the fog now. I'm happy to see Cho submitting and hope that he sticks around now, but I'm starting to empathize with the rejectionator when he originally banned flying penguins. I kind of wish the restriction was still in effect. Then the ramyb and sekiyoku designs... I like the butterfly design, but I don't think the colours will print very well. The other two are barely steampunk, if at all. Heh.

Oh, and another thing -

People are saying that this rejection shows that Woot is running "solely for the money". Say what? I don't see how one could come to that conclusion using this rejection as evidence. The design was in the top ten, so clearly Woot is NOT running purely for the money - if they were, they wouldn't be rejecting popular designs, would they?

The counter-argument is that, even though the design received many votes, it probably wouldn't appeal to the non-voting masses, so Woot is excising it to allow more mass-marketable designs to fog. However, that argument goes against what has become almost universally accepted by derby regulars - that the derby is geared towards unoriginal, pandering designs. One can argue that Woot is being overly nit-picky, and it *may* be possible to argue inconsistency (I personally think they've been pretty consistent, barring a few lapses). But if Woot is in it just for the money, this design is really a counter-example. If Woot was going for the cash, designs would only be rejected when it is on shaky legal ground (e.g. copyright infringement) or when something is clearly unprintable (crazy gradients, shirt colour most definitely not offered). A minor issue like this would have slid by.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
eHalcyon wrote:The shirt colour shown is quite a bit lighter than the actual asphalt; I noticed it immediately when I looked at the comp. Yes, it is clearly supposed to be asphalt, but I don't think it's a faulty rejection since they've been pretty consistent about it (aside from one or two major blips that I can recall). For one thing, the black ink as shown in this composition stands out far more than it would on an actual asphalt shirt. People need to be more careful with their templates.



If you noticed it right away, why didn't you say something, as, from what I've seen, you are incredibly observant, always talk about color and are usually very helpful. Also, I have seen no other rejections that were similar.

Shenorock


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shenorock

cheeselog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cheeselog
Re: the steam punk (re-sub)



I love this one. The version with the girl definitely didn't work for me. It somehow looks like a Black Sabbath album ... even though there isn't one like it

The only thing that bugs me a little is something in the eyes. They look slightly misaligned...

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
heartluce wrote:If you noticed it right away, why didn't you say something, as, from what I've seen, you are incredibly observant, always talk about color and are usually very helpful. Also, I have seen no other rejections that were similar.



I actually thought that it was still minor enough that it wouldn't be rejected. I was afraid that if I said something, it might get rejected for a stupid reason - because I agree, it is a pretty stupid reason. I'm just playing devil's advocate above. And I still think that it's a valid rejection. Stupid, but valid.

Here's a similar rejection, from this very derby.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
kdubbs29 wrote:Ordinarily I would understand the rejection, however, since another shirt with a Gameboy theme—one in fact that is a much closer resemblence—actually won in October and was not rejected (http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2692376) it strikes me as unfair. Its not the rejection that bothers me, its the fact that it is not done consistently. If this and others are allowed to stand, then so should mine with its votes restored.

I think the reason that the shirt you mention was not rejected is the fact that it is simply a bunch of buttons arranged on a heather gray shirt. Since I'm sure there are probably no copyrights on the buttons, the shirt was allowed to print. However, in your case, it could be the actual case design/shape which closely resembles the original gameboy. Maybe woot thinks it does not parody the design enough to take the chance?

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk



Awesome! GMV!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
eHalcyon wrote:I actually thought that it was still minor enough that it wouldn't be rejected. I was afraid that if I said something, it might get rejected for a stupid reason - because I agree, it is a pretty stupid reason. I'm just playing devil's advocate above. And I still think that it's a valid rejection. Stupid, but valid.

Here's a similar rejection, from this very derby.



Look at the timing of the rejection on that one. Why wait till now for this one if they were so on about color? And, it seemed to make room for one of the two favored ones, putting three of theirs in the fog, not one of which I find on topic. If they had rejected it earlier, it would at least have made room for Loopy's on-topic design.

Shenorock


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shenorock
Re: Let's Play



This may in fact be the most shameful fog in woot history...and there have been some pretty bad ones.

sefjwm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk



You forgot to add something from anime or Nintendo.

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
Zenverse wrote:I think the reason that the shirt you mention was not rejected is the fact that it is simply a bunch of buttons arranged on a heather gray shirt. Since I'm sure there are probably no copyrights on the buttons, the shirt was allowed to print. However, in your case, it could be the actual case design/shape which closely resembles the original gameboy. Maybe woot thinks it does not parody the design enough to take the chance?

ok there's a screen in there too (forgot to add that) but I'm sure the screen and buttons alone are not copyrighted.

sefjwm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
DiamondFace wrote:Nice to see something actually steampunk near the top. Hope this makes it into the fog.



Too bad the stuff going to win aren't steampunk. Needs more votes people!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
heartluce wrote:Look at the timing of the rejection on that one. Why wait till now for this one if they were so on about color? And, it seemed to make room for one of the two favored ones, putting three of theirs in the fog, not one of which I find on topic. If they had rejected it earlier, it would at least have made room for Loopy's on-topic design.



I'm guessing you're looking at the comments to figure out the timing.

The most probable reason the rejection was late for this design is that it was in the fog. Fogged entries are always rejected later. I recall Joel saying that they actually needed to hold a meeting of some sort before rejecting a fogged design. Granted, it was no longer in the fog when it was rejected, but it was in the fog for the better part of the weekend.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: The Girl in Red



This strikes me more as a Final Fantasy design than steampunk.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
Re: The Girl in Red



Maybe it's just me but I don't see whats so steampunk about this. Just because the wolf has metal on it ....? Gimme a break.

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
Re: Let's Play



Totally not Iron Giant guys...


... Totally.


/rolleyes

justnaota


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justnaota
Re: Let's Play



Hmm.

Steam-powered robot playing with a doggy. I'd wear it, for sure.

Don't worry, Ramyb. You grasped the subject of the derby just fine. People just want you to google "steampunk characters" and paste the first image you see on a shirt.



eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
cobolisdead wrote:This strikes me more as a Final Fantasy design than steampunk.



It doesn't strike me as either. Well, the girl is almost steampunk and the wolf is almost cyberpunk, maybe...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
felloffthebus wrote:Wow, I thought this was drakxxx's. This is my favorite design by sekiyoku, but it isn't steampunk. A very nice attempt, and it's very appealing.



Didn't you know? Seki and Ramy don't have to follow the rules here bub.

justnaota


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justnaota
eHalcyon wrote:It doesn't strike me as either. Well, the girl is almost steampunk and the wolf is almost cyberpunk, maybe...



Not cyberpunk, anything but.

Sekiyoku just decided that drawing a Zoid was preferable.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
nbrosas wrote:At first I was like "oh great flying penguins" then I saw who it was and gave it a vote.



If you were actually excited to see a flying penguin, then more power to you, but if your "oh great flying penguins" was sarcastic, then that's a terrible reason to vote for something. =\

@Cho - The shirt comp is a little blurry. In case you missed it, Woot changed comp size to 580x580px.

And as disappointed as I am to see yet another flying penguin (there were several in the Almost derby), I'm glad to see you back. I hope you stick around.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk



Needs more halftones.

And I agree, this will get rejected because it's not on a woot shirt color.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
Re: Steamworks Operatica



Shameful double standards. I absolutely cannot believe this and I am OUTRAGED. I was hoping we'd get a derby of Drax, Cho, and someone else. Unfortunately it looks like we are getting a derby of Ramyb, Ramyb, and likely, Ramyb's girlfriend. I hope Cho places, seriously. You've been robbed Drax.

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
Shenorock wrote:This may in fact be the most shameful fog in woot history...and there have been some pretty bad ones.



This is beyond shameful. It's an absolute outrage and everybody who isn't a fantard knows it.

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
ramyb wrote:It's weird, I've never seen it either, although I have to say that the similarity is definitely there based on these pictures. When I saw the theme, I knew I wanted to do a steampunk robot outside of its element, and after several different sketches (I went through a train, scientist, plants, etc.) I finally settled on a dog. A lot of people complained that a dog doesn't belong in a steampunk world, but that's the whole point of the picture. Steampunk isn't an art style, it's like an alternate world, so I feel that the concept stands and I don't think it's off topic by any means (although some people are arguing that the robot itself is not steampunk, which is a separate issue, but having a dog in the picture doesn't mean that it can't be in a steampunk derby)- Anyway, the point is that the similarity to iron giant is hardly by inspiration, as I've never seen the film, but I agree that the resemblance is there.



Of course you don't think it's off topic. You want that thousand dollars. The point people are making here is just because you have a robot with a few gears showing, doesn't mean it captures the element of steampunk. With such a highly imaginative theme at your fingertips, why're you letting your girltoy crank out more line-crap to pass off as your own (lets not mention how this is reminiscent of "Grim Optimism" as is)? And lastly, the obvious lack of thought in each and every one of both of your designs is absolutely discouraging. I haven't even bothered entering the past two derbies despite having more artistic insight in my little toe than both of you combined.

And yet people foam at the mouth over this shit because, oh dear it's another kawaii design by Ramy that he pulled out of his butt in under five minutes. WOOHOO!

This place is broken because of you and unoriginal, uncreative, re-hashed garbage like this undercutting entrants that actually know how to at LEAST stay on topic.

Spontaneous123


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Spontaneous123
Re: Soul Mechanism (resub)



I like the original one, because center placement is just bleh in my opinion. Good job on both though

theshizzler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theshizzler

i love you