Hengehog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Hengehog

LTU99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTU99
koronae wrote:Shameful double standards. I absolutely cannot believe this and I am OUTRAGED. I was hoping we'd get a derby of Drax, Cho, and someone else. Unfortunately it looks like we are getting a derby of Ramyb, Ramyb, and likely, Ramyb's girlfriend. I hope Cho places, seriously. You've been robbed Drax.

shirtderbystats.com is estimating a cho win:
The Aviator (cho's pengiun) - 782
Synthetic Beauty (ramy's butterfly) - 583
Lets Play (ramy's laem robot) - 542
The Girl in Red (seki's wolf) - 417

Unless something really crazy happens, the top 3 are probably already set.

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

Isn't this outside the printable area?

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
masterkraig wrote:Needs more halftones.

And I agree, this will get rejected because it's not on a woot shirt color.

It's on white...just the background of the comp isn't on a color they have. Thumbnail and shirt comp are on white.

koronae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
LTU99 wrote:shirtderbystats.com is estimating a cho win:
The Aviator (cho's pengiun) - 782
Synthetic Beauty (ramy's butterfly) - 583
Lets Play (ramy's laem robot) - 542
The Girl in Red (seki's wolf) - 417

Unless something really crazy happens, the top 3 are probably already set.

Good. Most excellent. I plan on buying that Cho shirt if it places. :/ Drakxxx, if you resub, everyone I know who uses shirt.woot plans on revoting on you, and I will SURE AS HELL buy the shirt if it wins. Because frankly, even if I thought it was too busy. It captures what steampunk is better than 90% of the stuff that is in the derby.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Smoke Plus Gear Equals Steampunk

I love it!!! Hell yes GMV.

koronae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae

Where are the cute animals? Oh wait.. Well. It still needs MORE smoke and MORE gears.

If you really want to up the steampunkness of this, throw a top hat and a monocle on that Gear. Geeze. :V

Tabernack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack

NEEDS MORE SHINY

Have my children you beautiful bastard.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
re: steamworks operatica

What is up with this rejection?? Seriously?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

I'm going to vote for this because, on the off chance that it doesn't get rejected for shirt colour, I really want to see if Woot will actually print it.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91
eHalcyon wrote:I'm going to vote for this because, on the off chance that it doesn't get rejected for shirt colour, I really want to see if Woot will actually print it.

Same here. GMV.

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: The Idea

There is nothing steampunk to this

LTU99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTU99
eHalcyon wrote:...colour...

Canadian!! Get him!

lexaverial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial

My wife showed me this, needless to say the sheer artistry of this astounds me. You have got my vote, good sir.

masterxuln

quality posts: 1 Private Messages masterxuln
Re: Synthetic Beauty

Simply beautiful! Definitely has my vote. +1

leebd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leebd
Re: The Girl in Red

This looks awesome... i might buy it if it wins

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
leebd wrote:This looks awesome... i might buy it if it wins

Thanks

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

Thanks guys !

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii

So seriously, I would buy this. And it would mark the last shirt I buy from woot ever. *still bitter of Drak's rejection*

spanishmel

Here we go...she's a SteamPunk Angel. I wanted to pay homage to the SteamPunk subculture. Those clever crafty people who create their own costumes and strut their stuff in true SteamPunk fashion.

See a large version on my blog.

Happy Voting,
Melinda

branmak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages branmak
Re: Fe-MAN

Similar to what I did (http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=30989) - I was going to put bolts on my portal too and make it a bit more Mignola style but ran out of time. Nice work!

spanishmel

Wowie! He's literally a Steam Punk! I love this. I would definitely buy this...

Your artwork looks so much classier and sophisticated than a lot of the other amine cutesy stuff. You understand wearability better than most of the people on here (myself included).

spanishmel

It is very beautiful, but then again I usually love your designs. Nice work...I would also like to see this a little smaller on the shirt.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
gesangbaer wrote:It's always nice to see elitists rear their ugly heads and pigeon-hole a style into some specific definition that only leaves room for their narrow ideas.

Considering the era the red riding hood story comes from, I think this image is definitely steam punk.

I'm sorry, but that's simply absurd. Little Red Riding Hood comes from the same era that steampunk depicts/stylizes/borrows from, thus, somehow, Little Red Riding Hood is steampunk...BRILLIANT!

That said, it DOES look like a zoid, which isn't a good thing.

I mean, say what you will, but I don't think I've seen a bunch of any sort of steampunk that's like "Hey, what if we had an organic mechanized wolf that doesn't really look like much of a machine, but rather, and armored wolf..."

I mean, I will usually defend Seki and Ramy, but I don't think it's blind hatred and narrow tailoring that's getting the naysayers out in droves this time. I mean, hell, it's a cool illustration, but the wolf is too far off/armored looking for me to say "STEAMPUNK!" and we can't see enough of Red for me to say steampunk either. The arm and the clothing just doesn't quite do it for me.

eeniemeanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eeniemeanie

Wow, I just submitted this. It looks hideous. It's 2:16 AM, I'm going to bed.

spanishmel

I have a friend who is an illustrator who also does a lot of flying penguin stuff. I guess that is really trendy right now.

I loved your line art sketch approximately 193.8% more than the finished product. The black and white lines on the final are really blending together and its hard to see the details of where the flying contraption ends and the penguin begins. Its a cute concept though...I am just not feeling it as a shirt design.

HeartlineTwist

marmls2m wrote:i blame ramyb and i also blam sekiyoku. you know why? i think they are rigging the contests through hundreds of fake accounts which they would have the money for if they one just one derby, which they have won dozens. i think they are filling the comments page with their own comments under their fake accounts, just as theyve done on deviantArt and the same way they claimed fake identities to saturate the artist alley with their artwork.

these two are scamming you and cheating the contest

but hey, thats just one guys opinion. it just happens to be backed up by documentation from numerous other people who got cheated

Hi...welcome to Woot. Now, come with me for our time travel portion where I take you back a few months where everyone that wanted to criticize Ramy and Seki brought up this exact point...

Oh wait, nothing substantial ever came from it, and an objective view of the "photographic evidence" of such misdeeds is circumstantial at best and grossly skewed and misrepresented as most.

That said, I'm not quick to bring down the theme hammer on this one because there's nothing--NOTHING--about steampunk that says there can't be an animal. Hell, go watch Steamboy.

Now, as for the resemblance to the Iron Giant...meh...But for f's sakes, harp on that, not on the dog. Yes, it's cutesy style, but if we had to strike things down if EVERY element of the shirt didn't fit theme, then we'd have a lot of problems on a weekly basis.

mewlink64

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mewlink64

Sure, I'll buy one.

HeartlineTwist

icymallard wrote:damnit ramy, i mite be on your side but i still dont understand why the woot community is bent on voting for artists...

i understand why ur doin this but i implore you, make a new account and try selling shirts on it. Prove. Me. Wrong.

and whoever is voting on this... care about the theme, because shirt.woot apparently doesnt.

This would never work? Why? Ramy has gotten most of the hatred he has because of the dominance of the style of his work over ALL of his work. If he mixed up styles, I don't think he'd receive half the flak he does now. Posting under a new name isn't going to make a Ramy design not look like a Ramy design.

HeartlineTwist

Re: Of the Moment

Okay, I love this design, but to play devil's advocate, when people are clawing themselves to pieces with the Ramy/Seki dominance of the fog and the uncertainty of the on-topic-ness of their entries...how is this any different?

I think it's different, but when we're their entries for trying to take elements of a steam punk style without actually being steam punk, how is this different?

HeartlineTwist

Re: Gamepunk

1) Put this up on Cameesa. I guarantee it gets sent off to print within a week.

2) I think the rejection is probably for the overall composition of the gameboy actually being depicted, unlike the gameboy shirt.

HeartlineTwist

Re: Steamworks Operatica

So, I imagine this getting knocked down means we can't be eagerly expecting a Ramy or Seki design to fall from the top, right?

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Interesting. It does change the feel of the shirt totally with the center placement. Oddly enought, it looks like the button pops off even more.
Good luck with your computer!

Vote!

lexaverial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial
HeartlineTwist wrote:Okay, I love this design, but to play devil's advocate, when people are clawing themselves to pieces with the Ramy/Seki dominance of the fog and the uncertainty of the on-topic-ness of their entries...how is this any different?

I think it's different, but when we're their entries for trying to take elements of a steam punk style without actually being steam punk, how is this different?

This is actually a quality design with artistic integrity.

Stuntdummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuntdummy
mewlink64 wrote:I agree, most of the stuff in the fog is not really steampunk. The things that ARE steampunk are wallowing outside of the fog. So woot, what's going on in that little workshop of yours?

It's like our democracy here in America. You can know absolutely nothing about the issues, propositions, and politicians, but you're still able to cast a vote that is equally valid as any other.

Woot picks a subject like Steampunk, not everyone grasps the concept or cares to, so they vote solely on what they like and not on its thematic relevance.

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
sekiyoku wrote:.. but I believe that in art style derbies, there can be many interpretations of the style.

Seki, it's a cool design and all, really -- but it's not steampunk. Great design, neat "interpretation" and all, but.. you get the idea. It just doesn't fit the theme.

We're looking at the exact same thing that happened with Ramy's design in the Art Deco Derby a few contests ago. This isn't taking nearly the flak that Ramy's design took, but I have a feeling that the comments will come. Sorry in advance for that backlash, Seki, because it's really a quality design that just doesn't quite fit the theme for the week, IMO.

[MOD: No advertising please]

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
HeartlineTwist wrote:This would never work? Why? Ramy has gotten most of the hatred he has because of the dominance of the style of his work over ALL of his work. If he mixed up styles, I don't think he'd receive half the flak he does now. Posting under a new name isn't going to make a Ramy design not look like a Ramy design.

Exactly. I never have to see more than the thumbnail to know a ramy design and about 80% of seki's are obvious.

When I see people in threads for his design's saying they were so surprised to see it was his I can only imagine it's a fake post on an alt account or that a lot of woot voters are that devoid of any sort of artistic sense...

mrpenguin203

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrpenguin203
Re: Steamworks Operatica

why doesnt anybody just use the template provided by shirt.woot? then you wouldnt have any problems.

drainhts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
mrpenguin203 wrote:why doesnt anybody just use the template provided by shirt.woot? then you wouldnt have any problems.

The template he used was one Woot linked to as an approved template at the time he started contributing to the site, as I'm understanding it. That they changed their minds on this and decided this was the best possible way of informing him as such is hardly the fault of the creator.

alfbo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
Re: Steam Goliath

I love this. If it doesn't print, definitely try it at threadless.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.