lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: Steamworks Operatica V.2

Excellent Drak! Great idea for this style.

seanmesky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seanmesky
Re: The Girl in Red

no offense, but so generic steampunk. not that interesting, and it's more about the wolf than the idea steampunk.

Lazarpandar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lazarpandar

The second I saw this week's theme I knew Drakxxx was going to steal the show. Your detailed designs are always so great!

I don't think I'd wear it though.. I feel like the top-hatted man demands too much attention and makes the shirt become less steampunk and gives it too much of a general fantasy novel feel.

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa

so completely not steampunk...get the hell out of the fog & take that dumb dog with you

bennisartstudios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bennisartstudios

Ramyb, I am really liking all of the textures you are using. Lined shadows, half tone smoke and texture on the robot.

Re: Let's Play

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

im surprised on two levels

1. that woot hasn't rejected it yet
and 2. that people are still voting for the darn thing.

sorry not steampunk at all... it may be kinda cool but to vague for the topic of the derby. not to mention it looks like a shirt you would see at an anime shop's clearance rack, you one o them you-ge-oh shirts.

JenDupre

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre

I know this is a smidge off topic, but I would like to take the oppurtunity to remind everyone that he's got a great T looking for support at Camesa. For just about the price of a woot shirt (10 bucks plus shipping) you could get one of his best designs IMHO, with a much smaller print run than woot.

He needs 35 more people to support him and it's a go. If even a small % of people who voted for this shirt and a larger % who commented will support it, we could have it
really soon.

No I'm not Drakxxx in disguise, I just think it's a great shirt that's not getting the love. 8)

The link.

http://cameesa.com/support/design/309/illustrators-block

end plug.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007

Congrats on the re-fog! Votes need to keep coming to ensure a print!!!

GlueBomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GlueBomb

Cool shirt.
I'd buy it. :D

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
Re: My Dog Breathes Steampunk

The most sinister grin crawled across my face.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
JenDupre wrote:I know this is a smidge off topic, but I would like to take the oppurtunity to remind everyone that he's got a great T looking for support at Camesa. For just about the price of a woot shirt (10 bucks plus shipping) you could get one of his best designs IMHO, with a much smaller print run than woot.

He needs 35 more people to support him and it's a go. If even a small % of people who voted for this shirt and a larger % who commented will support it, we could have it
really soon.

No I'm not Drakxxx in disguise, I just think it's a great shirt that's not getting the love. 8)

The link.

http://cameesa.com/support/design/309/illustrators-block

end plug.

Pimp it, girlfriend! I can't for Illustrators Block to print.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Draxxx, obviously even if you don't print this time around, I think we can all agree that you've achieved something amazing. This was your *second try* and you zoomed right back to the top.

You sir, are awesomes.

hookajoe

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe

I agree that it's not really steampunk.

But I also agree that it's amazing.

I can't wait to wear it!

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
gesangbaer wrote:This is genius. I love the way the "darker" animals counter the fluffy ones from the base story. Technology over magic, hehehe. I wonder what the prince would be like?

hey thanks!

snappystrappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snappystrappy
Re: God's Tea Kettle

woah, way too small...

tanksley1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanksley1
re: nighttime coolness

This is sooo awesome! I would buy it!

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
mitchellp wrote:I don't understand why this one doesn't have at least 500 hundred votes

no doubt. by far one of my favorite artist on woot. its a shame his designs fall short in the derby week after week. i have discovered myself its almost pointless to compete with the woot "stars"

madtoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madtoon

1. steam punk
a fantasy story style that involves Using steam era technology to make highly complicated and advanced machines.

nerdgod89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdgod89

seki, i had no idea you and ramyb were dating, that is just awesome.

id like to tell everyone here what i wrote in the ramyb thread.
GET A LIFE!
No matter how much you rant people like me PTERODACTYLS! it all up for you by voting for seki and ramy.....and get this...sometimes i dont even buy their shirts! SHOCKER!!!
this is the power of democracy, the elitists can be as elite as they want, but the majority rules...my party has been kicked around my this concept in the real world enough, may as well take advantage of it in the woot world.

seki, sorry this fell out of the fog, it really is a beautiful design.

~
indianwoot

nerdgod89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdgod89

brown shirt? woot, i need more of those..gmv

~
indianwoot

Barninator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barninator
Re: The Aviator

I really like the dichotomy here. The color, hope, and motion of the flyer; the lifeless, drooping sputtering of his created wings. This seems to be a lesson of the Bible: we will never get into heaven by our own righteous works.
The wings' angelic look really hits this home to me.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
marzipanapple wrote:Draxxx, obviously even if you don't print this time around, I think we can all agree that you've achieved something amazing. This was your *second try* and you zoomed right back to the top.

You sir, are awesomes.

No doubt. With that said, go Drakxxx!

zewkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zewkin
Re: Darwinism

lillian13 wrote:Nice fish, but very bad placement for those of us with breasts...

Tee hee...booby fish!

ankmet20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Re: Strange Love

damn should have put this one up earlier.

ZMaiden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZMaiden
Re: Synthetic Beauty

Hmm, weren't a lot of important discoveries in the field of entomology made during the 1800's? I think I remember that. At least I remember hearing about a lot of female entomologists at the time who couldn't publish their work without attributing it to men. So, seems steampunk to me to take that and put a mechanical spin on it.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

I thought this derby was ending about 25 minutes ago... glad it's still going and this shirt still has a chance to print. I hope it can keep the "steam" it's had all day (sorry).

wugsby

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby

Drakxxx, I haven't bought any of your shirts before, though I've often appreciated your designs for their ability to compete with the pink-backpack mafia (ramyb and sekiyoku, mainly...I'm not saying they're not talented... I'm just saying they seem like the Linkin Park of shirt.woot designers: successful with die-hard fans, but their creations are often very similar and almost formulaic). However, despite the fact that I like your shirts I've never felt the need to comment on them before. This shirt, however, I feel is brilliant. It perfectly captures the idea of "steampunk" and displays it in a way that shows precisely why steampunk is so cool. Though it won't mean much, I'm casting my vote for this shirt because it is the only shirt in a while that I feel actually CAPTURES the topic rather than simply incorporating it. For that reason I am voting for this shirt and will encourage all other shirt.wooters to do the same, to restore glory to derbies by awarding them to those who put forth the effort to actually capture what makes a topic interesting and cool rather than to those who have established fan-bases and can produce one similar design after another and still win derbies with little to no innovation or effort. I praise this shirt not just for what it contains, but for what it represents on shirt.woot and I want to thank you for shaking the foundations of the established aristocracy of shirt.woot designers as well as helping to breathe new life into these stale derbies. Thank you.

mrslydia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrslydia
Re: God's Tea Kettle

Could someone tell me how to make my shirt comp photoshop file small enough to get on here? I can only get it to like 2 MB and as you know it has to be under 500 KB? My shirt comp right now is a copy and paste into a paint jpeg-sad i know.

mrslydia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrslydia

ZMaiden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZMaiden
ZMaiden wrote:Hmm, weren't a lot of important discoveries in the field of entomology made during the 1800's? I think I remember that. At least I remember hearing about a lot of female entomologists at the time who couldn't publish their work without attributing it to men. So, seems steampunk to me to take that and put a mechanical spin on it.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention butterfly hunting. I don't think I could picture Victorians without thinking about the butterfly houses. It was a pretty big thing.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
mrslydia wrote:Could someone tell me how to make my shirt comp photoshop file small enough to get on here? I can only get it to like 2 MB and as you know it has to be under 500 KB? My shirt comp right now is a copy and paste into a paint jpeg-sad i know.

I can only think of two reasons why your comp would be 2 MB - you're submitting something at a huge resolution (only the print-ready file is high res) or you're submitting in the wrong mode (I think CMYK can inflate file size). Follow these guidelines:

1. 580x580 px
2. RGB mode
3. jpg file format

You should leave it uncompressed so it'll be crisp after the upload. Any compression should be done on Woot's end. Even umcompressed, your image shouldn't exceed 500 kb. Good luck!

Edit: Wait, shirt comp PHOTOSHOP file? Your shirt comp should just be a jpg. The PSD file is the print-ready. I believe Woot allows an upload of up to 20 MB (or was it 10?) through the main form, which should be adequate. If it isn't, you can email it to them instead. When I enter the derby, I generally don't upload the print-ready through the form since it takes so long. If it looks like I have a shot at printing, then I email it to them.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

maryahari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryahari
itoaseik wrote:I thought this derby was ending about 25 minutes ago... glad it's still going and this shirt still has a chance to print. I hope it can keep the "steam" it's had all day (sorry).

Friday at noon: Derby theme is announced, Derby opens for submissions and voting

Following Wednesday at noon: submissions close

Following Thursday at noon: voting closes, winner announced

Hope that helps =)

elwayman02

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
lexaverial wrote:Note that I said I agreed that voting to spite people is shameful. The opposite holds true as well, it is just as bad to vote on name alone. I was just stating that this sort of stuff does happen. I'm not condoning it on any level whatsoever.

I disagree. Voting to spite is much worse than voting on name alone, because voting out of spite is a malicious attempt to sabotage an artist's chances at printing merely because you don't like them, whereas voting on name alone is merely supporting someone who you believe is talented or perhaps have a personal connection with. In general, though, I think most people at least look at the entries they are voting on before they vote. For example, I consider myself to be a friend of sekiyoku's outside of Woot (I knew her from elsewhere before she started entering derbies), but I don't always vote for her designs, especially if I see designs I like better that she is in competition with. However, if I am generally ok with all of the designs she is competing with, I'm more likely to vote for her design than someone else's, because I like to support my friends. This applies to other artists as well, not just sekiyoku. I've worked with sailormoontsu, fablefire, and drakxxx on varying numbers of collaborations in the past, so I tend to support their entries under the same system. I omgwin! to see how that is a bad thing.

sefjwm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
itoaseik wrote:I thought this derby was ending about 25 minutes ago... glad it's still going and this shirt still has a chance to print. I hope it can keep the "steam" it's had all day (sorry).

Somehow the stupid dog armor one got a ton of votes and just passed this one up. Doesn't look good now

smallgreendemon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smallgreendemon

Since when is there a set-in-stone definition of "steampunk?" This isn't a visual version of an essay contest with a set thesis, where only the arguments are allowed to vary. I generally think of steampunk imagery as art that superimposes a Victorian-era obsession with Machinery (with a capital M) onto modern or futuristic technology, or uses of technology. The Victorian-era retellings of Perault's Little Red Riding Hood story make the girl little and cute and completely helpless; in this, it looks as though she is in control of the wolf, via some complicated-looking contraptions. In other words, a very contemporary triumph over the past, but one apparently achieved through visible, mechanical equipment.

I think it's a much more interesting image than a picture of some random object/animal/person with non-functional cogs and pipes added in an aesthetically-pleasing but meaningless way. (That would be the photoshop filter version of steampunk.)

humboof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humboof

I still really hope this wins. This design is awesome and I really want to buy this shirt.

masterxuln

quality posts: 1 Private Messages masterxuln
HeartlineTwist wrote:Once again, why even have a theme at all, then? I mean, I have full confidence that all of the artists of the on-topic submissions that you may not find wearable (which doesn't make too much sense) could do fantastic designs that have absolutely nothing to do with the theme. But that's not the point.

I prefer to think of the theme as a general guide for all the submissions. It sets the mood of the derby and helps bring variety. Nevertheless, I don't think every design has to EXACTLY fit the theme. As long as it is relatively close and Woot does not reject it, any design should be allowed to win.

Another important thing to mention here is that the Steampunk theme is not concrete and well-defined enough. Even looking at several other Steampunk images for reference, one might not easily understand the whole concept behind it or the correct way to represent it. Limiting the derby to only TRUE Steampunk entries would greatly reduce the amount of contestants and prevent many artists from even participating. And that is, in my opionion, not the point of a Woot derby.

I do understand where you're coming from, though. The designs that you actually love and, I assume, would wear are being beaten by designs which do not fit the theme as well. Of course it would be in your best interest that a strict adherence to the theme was enforced. Most of the people here want their favorite designs to win (I hope), excluding those who vote for/against particular artists, of course. However, that does not mean they should bash all the designs/designers (and their fans) they don't like. Everyone has their tastes, and happy are those whose tastes match those of the majority.

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
hastethechariot wrote:Although I highly repspect the artwork on this one. I really don't dont see the association to the genre. Yeah you put a couple of pipes above his head that are emitting steam, but is this really steam punk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

There are a few more in the top 8 that are more true to the genre. Lets not make this a popularity contest.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4kat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4kat
eHalcyon wrote:I think it's appropriate and justified to complain about ramy and seki's designs for their off-topic-ness, persistent similarity, etc. but it is ridiculous to bash them just because they are successful. Sure, they have arguably had more success than Cho did (note: jimiyo has always been too good for Woot and has never really been successful here), but just barely. To complain about their success and not Cho's is hypocritical. Maybe people are forgetting just how successful he was because he's been gone for so long. He's very nearly swept derbies before, with multiple entries in the fog and in the top ten. Someone even left a comment in his flying penguin's thread that implies the person voted on name only. Sure, they have fans here that vote for them. So does every other regular artist here - Edgar, Loopy, tgentry, Boots, drakxxx, skirochester - they all have established fan bases. It's just ridiculous to complain that people who like their work are voting for their entries. That's the whole point of the derby.

Totally agree. As a fan of most of the artists you listed, I look for their entries and vote if I want. If I don't like (and there has been MANY times), I won't vote.
BTW, I do look at every entry to the derbies and vote accordingly. You will not hear any bashing from me on any threads, I just move on. To those who do bash, I read your comments, take it with a grain of salt and continue on.

Signed
Just a regular wooter.

cj7loop

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cj7loop
Re: Let's Play

I actually took my vote back on this one. This really doesn't feel "steampunk" to me. All I get is a robot with a random dog thrown in there, but none of actual theme.

member of the sam jackson alliance
maybe even the president ^m i rite