KillerRamen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KillerRamen

You know what doesn't adhere to steampunk? T-Shirts. :p

[Just Sayin']

Moribund


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Moribund
gizagiza wrote:I would so buy this if it were available in on a tank top. A black shirt in the summer here is not a good thing. =S



About half the shirts I get, I order in the women's sizes and cut off the sleeves. The women's cuts are a tighter fit and a bit shorter torso, and if you're careful with your cuts, it looks really good.

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
entezami wrote:Okay Bradyson, or whatever your name is. you need to [be quiet] and just enjoy the shirt. It looks nice. This is not the place to be bashing someone's design just cause you didn't have yours published / your ideas about a theme were different. If you have a problem with the theme, seek it up with the people who chose the shirt.

The whole point of Themes in Art is the fact that each artist's rendition of the Theme is different, which makes each design unique.

WOOT is a community where we respect the artists and their designs. That's what sets us apart from all the other sites.

And one post about your opinion is enough. There's no need to be posting all over this thread.

Great Design BTW!



My name is Brady Boudreaux. My grandfather called me Bradysan; for whatever crazy reason I like the username bradyson. I did not enter a design in the Steampunk derby because I did not have the time to properly capture the theme.

I am not trying to attack the artist, sorry if it seems that way. I don't have to be quiet if I feel that I don't agree that a shirt fits the topic. That should be the number one criteria in voting and appreciating a shirt design in the Woot derby. I have seem many shirts get rejected for being off topic that were more on topic than this one.

Woot artists should respect each other and not ignore the rules and spirit of the derby.

OOPS I POSTED AGAIN...

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
entezami wrote:Okay Bradyson, or whatever your name is. you need to [be quiet] and just enjoy the shirt. It looks nice. This is not the place to be bashing someone's design just cause you didn't have yours published / your ideas about a theme were different. If you have a problem with the theme, seek it up with the people who chose the shirt.

The whole point of Themes in Art is the fact that each artist's rendition of the Theme is different, which makes each design unique.

WOOT is a community where we respect the artists and their designs. That's what sets us apart from all the other sites.

And one post about your opinion is enough. There's no need to be posting all over this thread.

Great Design BTW!

this is a forum, and forum "are" places you can post your opinion on anything. you don't have to agree with what is posted(because you have your own opinions) no one is trying to change your mind about anything.He/ or she is free to state his/her opinion. go in peace....[BTW shutup!] j/k

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
entezami wrote:WOOT is a community where we respect the artists and their designs. That's what sets us apart from all the other sites.



I think you're confusing Woot with some other community. =\

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
eHalcyon wrote:I think you're confusing Woot with some other community. =\



You beat me to it.


JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
entezami wrote:Okay Bradyson, or whatever your name is. you need to [be quiet] and just enjoy the shirt. It looks nice. This is not the place to be bashing someone's design just cause you didn't have yours published / your ideas about a theme were different. If you have a problem with the theme, seek it up with the people who chose the shirt.

The whole point of Themes in Art is the fact that each artist's rendition of the Theme is different, which makes each design unique.

WOOT is a community where we respect the artists and their designs. That's what sets us apart from all the other sites.

And one post about your opinion is enough. There's no need to be posting all over this thread.

Great Design BTW!



ROFLMAO... we've been trying forever to get people to 'respect' artists and their designs here. And honestly, there's far more respect at Threadless, DBH and Emptees than there is here at any given moment. Bradyson has just as much right to voice his opinion as anyone else. And in order to take up his disapproval with those who chose the shirt, he does have to voice his opinion here.

Unless this is a secondary account of a regular here, you haven't been around more than a month or so, so perhaps you haven't seen many of the derbies that have happened even before you bought your one shirt here. For some reason, designs that follow the theme and show exceptional execution get trumped by these 'abstract' interpretations or even anime designs which barely follow the rules, if they follow them at all. And when you have a theme that has a massive fan base such as 'steampunk', you really need to not only pay homage to the style, but you need to respect the fans and artists who actually live for this style as well.

I voiced earlier this week as to which artists, I felt, did an exceptional job considering a limited palette (both with only 6 ink colors and the shirt colors offered through woot). Those designers paid attention to detail, focused on the Victorian time period and really made their work FEEL steampunk as soon as you viewed it.

I think the one thing that I was disappointed in was that many people focused on big mechanical objects, a lot of dirigibles, robots and such, but they forgot about the fact that steampunk's whole idea is that you take modern electronic comforts and place them in the Victorian era. I know I'm about to get some flack for this, so I'll take it when it's given, but Kdubb's gameboy was an accurate idea of steampunk. I may not have liked it for the gameboy/tetris references, but it was still steampunk in concept. Now, why woot rejected it, I don't know, but it's woot, and perhaps they've had enough game console shirts print to last a while. I just wish that more of the steampunk entries were more subtle instead of the billowing, copious amounts of steam and towering designs:







kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
pianolin717 wrote:Well... what is coming out of the pipes? Steam? or Hippies? Steam. Hence Steampunk.



Chimneys are steam punk too?!?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
JadenKale wrote:...I know I'm about to get some flack for this...



Want your flack?! Here it is!

You are the Gigli (2003)! And to all you idiots who don't want people to say mean things, go back to kindergarten and realize that A) this is the real world B) art is not how you interpret it, hence, woot gives you a theme C) this shirt is not steam punk and D) this is the perfect venue for complaints since this is the FORUM!

God damnit! The stupidity of people is driving me into madness.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

marmls2m


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
entezami wrote:Okay Bradyson, or whatever your name is. you need to [be quiet] and just enjoy the shirt. It looks nice. This is not the place to be bashing someone's design just cause you didn't have yours published / your ideas about a theme were different. If you have a problem with the theme, seek it up with the people who chose the shirt.



i love how that post starts with a scathing commentary about a person expressing a negative opinion, (ignorant of what was going on in the threads during the derby) and ends with this:

entezami wrote:Great Design BTW!



it basically says, agree with me or be wrong! or you can only say positive things here, or maybe just about the artists i like.


...and they wonder why we keep reiterating the fact that this shouldnt be here


quixotical13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages quixotical13
JadenKale wrote:ROFLMAO... towering designs



Jaden, I absolutely love like 95% of the comments I read from you. Thank you for expressing yourself and providing great examples about the theme.


Having not followed this Derby, I'm not particular about the theme. My issue with this shirt is that the black doesn't provide enough contrast to showcase the design. And to be honest, I think less of shirts put out by ramyb. As someone else mentioned, they all seem very $10 Wal-Mart style.

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick

Steampunk should be kickass and grand, but this seems too small and delicate for me.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
kylemittskus wrote:Want your flack?! Here it is!

You are the Gigli (2003)! And to all you idiots who don't want people to say mean things, go back to kindergarten and realize that A) this is the real world B) art is not how you interpret it, hence, woot gives you a theme C) this shirt is not steam punk and D) this is the perfect venue for complaints since this is the FORUM!

God damnit! The stupidity of people is driving me into madness.



quixotical13 wrote:Jaden, I absolutely love like 95% of the comments I read from you. Thank you for expressing yourself and providing great examples about the theme.



Thanks you two Kyle, I had to read that twice though before I realized you were agreeing with me lol.

Reawen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
peachtek wrote:Can't say I'm thrilled with the placement of this one. I imagine while I wore it, it would look like my boob exploded and a butterfly was coming out.

I'll pass.



Haha, nicely put - and that's exactly what's holding me back from buying it, too...

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
byrbwr wrote:another uninspired design by an uninspired 'artist'. i hope you all enjoy your wal-martesque designs, because you can bet the next derby will have more of the same. more from ramyb/seikyoki (same person).



Swing and a miss, but thanks for playing! Then again, how could Ramy or Seki possibly have a design in a double-take derby when they always print, olololl!!!11!!!


ladynightshade wrote:Isn't that what matters most in a shirt, is first and foremost whether or not you personally like it?

Why should whether it did or did not fit the category the best matter? Apparently enough people thought it did fit the topic, since it was second place.

The best solution to this is, a) don't buy it or b)open up your own t-shirt site so you can dictate what does or doesn't print.



You do realize how much your post contradicts itself and your position, right? You say that it just has to look cool, so that means that whether or not it fits theme probably has NOTHING to do with it being in second place. You can't say that it just has to look cool, and then use its placement in the derby as "proof" of it being on theme. By that logic, you're saying that the 5th or 21st place shirts aren't as on theme as this one, which isn't necessarily true. They just probably don't look as cool...or weren't designed by Ramy or Seki...;-)

And...drat...looks like Jaden beat me to awesome post!

Jaden's right, though. There is at least one or two, if not a MAJORITY of off-topic-ish designs that end up in the fog on a weekly basis. I think the reason it made everyone so mad this time around is because steampunk is like hallowed ground of the Internet in a way. A questionable entrant in a derby like "Exercise" or "Almost..." isn't going to draw half the ire that something in a "Steampunk" derby will.

I'll even go as far as to play Devil's Advocate: besides questionable things that have happened in other arenas involving Ramy and Seki and arguably some of their conduct on here, the sort of hate they're getting isn't anything new. The successful Woot designers have all got it in their time. Ramy and Seki might be easier targets because of their style, but love it, hate it, think it's off theme or not, this design is outside of Ramy's typical artistic style, even if he uses some of his old tricks, like the halftones. In fact, I think the reaction to this shirt is similar to that of Seki's Lady in Red. A MAJORITY of people that commented weren't against the shirt or even the artwork. It was mostly lamenting that these entries were edging out the competition in a Steampunk derby.

So, keep that in mind, because I think it's important.

And, as always, I love to point out the absurdity of both sides, but since I can't call anyone out in particular, I'll just post the rundown:

1) The people that are raising all this hell about the designs and the designers are probably anything but jealous.

2) Calling out their artistic ability doesn't somehow prove a point. I'm not a good illustrator, so I couldn't design something that looked like this or better, but that doesn't disqualify my opinion in any way.

3) This is a DESIGN contest which will win you at LEAST $1,000. That's a pretty nice chunk of change. This design contest has a theme which is usually enforced in some pretty questionable ways. Thus, if something is perceived as off-theme by members of the community, it is a big deal because it nullifies the point of having a theme in the first place.

4) No, I'm not Adder, thanks for playing.

5) No, I'm not Rami or Seki, either.

Also, just because this challenge WAS never met in any of the entry threads in which I posted it: It's really, REALLY easy for someone to say that this isn't steampunk or say that gear+steam=/=steampunk, ololol. But, these are inherently non-specific and tend to gloss over the design. I mean, if you're acting like such an expert on the matter, surely you can give an explanation and analysis of why it doesn't fit the theme. Trust me, it will give your opinion more credence than "this isn't steampunk."

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
kylemittskus wrote:And to all you idiots who don't want people to say mean things, go back to kindergarten and realize that A) this is the real world...



awwww, why such a pessimist? where is the love? can't we all live in peace and harmony? even if the 'real world' is going to the shittter, it doesn't mean we have to bring all those 'mean' stuff in here. we can pretty much turn this place into the happiest place on earth if we want to, and be that beacon hope this world needs. of course, from your 'realistic' point of view, it's not gonna happen. but i dare to dream!

gone!

Divine666Angel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Divine666Angel
gizagiza wrote:I would so buy this if it were available in on a tank top. A black shirt in the summer here is not a good thing. =S



Definitely second this. I would love to get shirts in tank tops and long sleeves. Also, the high collar is killing me! Alas, until Woot decides to fulfill my dreams of non-short sleeved shirts, I will stick to purchasing this in the regular form =)

RazorConcepts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RazorConcepts

Steampunk or not it's a good shirt. First shirt woot!!

Spl2iGGaN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spl2iGGaN
kylemittskus wrote:Chimneys are steam punk too?!?!



If chimneys produced steam I think that would be a possibility...

Soten


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Soten

Okay, so, i feel the need to post a second time.

I feel that this shirt is definitely Steampunk. I'm a huge fan of the genre and i am in no way slighted by it's not-your-average-steampunk design.

It's less... victorian than one would expect, but i think it still has the elegance mixed with mechanics and crazy machienery that i love from steampunk.

Also: steampunk is a fairly diverse fashion. Ranging from Top hats and tails with some nice, crazy steampunk gun, to barely vintage and highly fantasy punk. And i think this design suits the catagory Beautifully while being design-oriented enough for a shirt.

The haters make me like it more.

Great design, Ramyb, you made my first Woot purchase wholly worth it.

I quest for Crud.

briskbot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages briskbot

Whats everyone whining about?

I think its an awesome tee-shirt, I leave it up to woot to determine which they place up here and I vote on what they allow.

Of those I was asked which I would like. I voted on, and bought this shirt because I like it. Just like most things that I go shopping for =p

BTW why have these not shipped out yet?

bmscurlock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmscurlock

I was a little disappointed with this shirt. The design is great but it's not that great on a t-shirt ... I think it would be better if it were printed in a different way ... like the yellow parts printed in Gold that would be awesome.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

As always, late to the game. I'm surprised so many people either didn't get Steampunk or completely missed the gears within the butterfly. Either way, interesting design I've never come across before (and there are about... three malls and several shopping centers - including WallyWorld - within close distance). In my wish list, for sure.

~ First ever Book of Cheats ~ 7/11/2014 ~