mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
HeartlineTwist wrote:And it was frightened food before, and pirates before, and so on and so forth. These things happen in phases. It's not really worth complaining about. I mean, change isn't going to happen if it hasn't already, especially because Woot is profiting through all of this.



Since when did frightened food go out? It shows up pretty regularly and generally prints. Also we've had two pirate shirts in the very recent past. Penguins keep coming back as do birds and trees (lol derby). We even get a fair bit of turtles and giraffes so to my knowledge, none of the fads have ever really gone away so I don't know why one would expect the cuteness to pass.

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
HeartlineTwist wrote:I really need to stop procrastinating. This monograph of Jaws isn't going to read itself, and my ten page paper over Jaws...



Off topic reply:

I liked the book, but the movie had a much better ending and a better plot.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
cobolisdead wrote:Off topic reply:

I liked the book, but the movie had a much better ending and a better plot.



another off topic reply:

i would have enjoyed the movie more if the sharks had laser guns attached to their heads.

gone!

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
geekfactor12 wrote:This post does a good job of outlining why a 100% vote-based system will always be open to cheating. Because there's just not a good way for Woot to be able to prevent any of that.

And frankly, cheating concerns aside, it worries me that if Wil Wheaton deigned to enter the derby with a napkin doodle, he could probably win easily every week ;) That is the nature of a popularity contest.



Thanks, my wife thought it was scary when I was coming up with that one day on our Lunch walks. She wouldn't listen to it as she didn't want me to be tempted to do it. :P Not that I would. A grand plus residuals isn't worth losing my morals.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

raevynpheather


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raevynpheather

Ramyb, I like you designs, my wife and I own 5 or 6, including yesterdays.

I am a big Steampunk fan.

I even like how this shirt looks.

That being said, this shirt is in no way steampunk and it really pisses me off that Woot did not reject it. I will not be buying this shirt in protest of Woot not doing its job.

Woot, you failed, plain and simple. Why don't you stop making themes every week, because you obviously don't give a guppy about designs being part of the theme.

MaddocZelt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaddocZelt

Doesn't complaining that this shirt "isn't Steampunk" seem kinda stupid after the first and second place winners?

There were at least half a dozen submissions that better evoked a sense of Steampunk just underneath the fog, but they were separated by a good few hundred votes.

I personally think that both this and Steampunk Operatica fit the theme far better than the previous winners.

shonnelizabeth


quality posts: 7 Private Messages shonnelizabeth

I like this shirt and bought one. I also voted for it.

I'll be looking out my window now waiting for the lynch mob to arrive.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
MaddocZelt wrote:Doesn't complaining that this shirt "isn't Steampunk" seem kinda stupid after the first and second place winners?

There were at least half a dozen submissions that better evoked a sense of Steampunk just underneath the fog, but they were separated by a good few hundred votes.

I personally think that both this and Steampunk Operatica fit the theme far better than the previous winners.



The same complaint was brought up the past two days. I agree with you about Operatica, but this shirt is not steampunk at all! If you think it is, please defend that statement.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
shonnelizabeth wrote:I like this shirt and bought one. I also voted for it.

I'll be looking out my window now waiting for the lynch mob to arrive.



Clearly you do not know the community well it would never sink to such violence....

You'll be quietly suffocated in your sleep under a pile of unwanted randoms.

shonnelizabeth


quality posts: 7 Private Messages shonnelizabeth
mrwednesday wrote:Clearly you do not know the community well it would never sink to such violence....

You'll be quietly suffocated in your sleep under a pile of unwanted randoms.



LOL, okay, that made me giggle. As long as its not "Thirstiest Cookie".

bobgray


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobgray

I'll keep this as simple as possible.

Thus far, I've bought 20 shirts here (just counted) and there is only one thing I consider, would I wear that shirt? I don't really care about who designed it, nor if it may or may not have fit whatever derby it came from.

I'm here to buy a shirt, not to buy art. Sometimes they work well together, other times not. So if you design a beautiful artwork that matches whatever theme is going on, that's great, but if I wouldn't wear it on a shirt, sorry but I'm not buying it. On the other hand,if I like the design, I'll buy it.

Very simple.

Make a shirt I like and I'll vote for and/or buy it.

DandonTRJ


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DandonTRJ
cobolisdead wrote:How to Cheat at Woot and Get away with it.

First, find a nice grassy knoll.



Down, and to the left.

(You know what, I have my own conspiracy theory. I think RamyB *does* operate multiple accounts. All the people in this thread who are bitching about the winning design? Sockpuppets. Sockpuppets designed to throw us off the trail of the real scoop here: RamyB actually owns Woot. He owns Woot and is awarding the $1000 prizes to himself, but creating a persona to attract the ire of everyone else in the Derby so that they think Woot is just lazy instead of corrupt. Yeah, I like this theory: it's all so... theoretical! And I don't have to prove a damn lick of it because The Powers That Be are the only ones who can shed light on the subject. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE. IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS.)

Hulyen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hulyen
raevynpheather wrote:Ramyb, I like you designs, my wife and I own 5 or 6, including yesterdays.

I am a big Steampunk fan.

I even like how this shirt looks.

That being said, this shirt is in no way steampunk and it really pisses me off that Woot did not reject it. I will not be buying this shirt in protest of Woot not doing its job.

Woot, you failed, plain and simple. Why don't you stop making themes every week, because you obviously don't give a guppy about designs being part of the theme.



I agree with this. If off-theme entries had been axed, this actually would have been avoided. I'm a HUGE fan of steampunk, and was really disappointed by the results of this derby. I purchased the first place design - I could see the stretch to fit it to steampunk, no problem, but the last two? I like today's shirt, but I was so disappointed that nothing ACTUALLY steampunk got printed that I couldn't bring myself to hit the 'buy' button.

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

aannddd we'll never get a response from woot, another company that decided they like money more than pleasing their customers. even though that's usually when a company's downfall begins.

KaylaJ


quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

to whoever brought up out of office reply, if i remember that one correctly i think the difference between him and other artists are that he kinda got personal about other artists work saying his shirt was more artistic than anything that had sold well at woot (bringing up scurvy as stupid when fable had never even said anything). then of course he reminded people several times how much money he makes and its more than anyone else, but it didn't matter since he already made his sale to woot. maybe i haven't seen it, but i've yet to see ramb or seik act like that.

anyway, as others have said, i think a lot of this would be cleared up if woot actually said something about the derby themes. i used to think voting shouldn't start until all the reckonings are done (hey, its either in the rules and on theme or not) but since so many themes seemed to get stretched, i no longer know. but it would be nice for woot to say something like "we'd like it steampunk. we'll give you an example but we know you'll look outside the box" if they're not going to stay within the guidelines.

isparabola


quality posts: 8 Private Messages isparabola
byrbwr wrote:aannddd we'll never get a response from woot, another company that decided they like money more than pleasing their customers. even though that's usually when a company's downfall begins.



If Woot didn't care about their customers they wouldn't have a derby where they allow their customers to vote on the shirts they print for 3 days of the week.

These conspiracy theories are stupid. I'm not sure how much "vote hacking" or whatever happens considering that even though the same people get printed, they do in fact sell. 1070 people voted on this and i'm sure more than that will buy it.

Seems to me, that its just a vocal minority that is annoyed at what t-shirts are printing, the rest are actually buying them.

That's not to say I like this shirt though, or think it fits the theme. I don't like it, and I don't think it does. I was actually looking forward to some good steampunk designs. I just think that the fact ramyb gets his shirts printed often is some weird conspiracy is stupid.

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick

I have to wince every time I see this shirt.
I find it unattractive, unoriginal, uninspiring, and off-topic.

I'm getting tired of woot. <- (no exclamation mark)

EDIT: at least wine.woot should do well today.

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
DandonTRJ wrote:Down, and to the left.

(You know what, I have my own conspiracy theory. I think RamyB *does* operate multiple accounts. All the people in this thread who are bitching about the winning design? Sockpuppets. Sockpuppets designed to throw us off the trail of the real scoop here: RamyB actually owns Woot. He owns Woot and is awarding the $1000 prizes to himself, but creating a persona to attract the ire of everyone else in the Derby so that they think Woot is just lazy instead of corrupt. Yeah, I like this theory: it's all so... theoretical! And I don't have to prove a damn lick of it because The Powers That Be are the only ones who can shed light on the subject. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE. IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS.)



I'm glad that you think this is a Insane theory that doesn't require proof. :P It's not meant to be an accusation, it's a demonstration on how to do it. I don't know if anyone is doing this, but its quite possible to do it.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

tohru


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tohru

WOW!
Am I the only person that buys the shirt because I like it. I rarely pay attention to who created it. I buy them because my kids like the shirt. I buy them because my husband likes the shirt. It is a $10 dollar limited edition shirt. It is not that serious.This reminds me of anime and the fanboys/fangirls.

Why would you ban certain designers from the derbies? Would it be better if we couldn't see who designed the shirts for the derbies?

I think people are biased. They hate certain designers no matter what. I just vote for what I like, not who designed it.

Now, can someone help me? Can all of my woot shirts be washed together? Can they hang in the same closet? Do I have to seperate my Ramy/Seiky's from the "other" woot shirts? Will I get jumped if I wear my "Amazing Race" shirt?

edited to say: 78 shirts and counting

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
kylemittskus wrote:I totally agree. We shouldn't try to change things; we should just accept them as they are. Wait... why the hell did America start in the first place then? Damned complainers.



I didn't say we shouldn't try to change it. My point is that to undergo the sort of radical change that you would need to eradicate cuteness, it would ultimately change the site in dramatic way.

As for whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for interpretation, but my point stands that trying to change the site based on the dominance of what I am positing is ultimately a passing fad would be a grave disservice.

Yes, designs like frightened food and pirate designs show up. But there's a large difference between "guaranteed to print" just for being frightened food and a pirate entry like it used to be, and what it is now. For every pirate and frightened food entry that printed in the last few months, I can show you at least one that had nowhere near the general success of the printed shirt, if not two or three. Those fads were the golden touch, and cute anime is the golden touch now.

But we could get rid of the Hotness. That's not too radical, nor does it serve much of a purpose. And if Seki and Ramy are cheating, it would make it a lot harder for them to cheat in a meaningful way. Dropping $1,000 to create 100 accounts would be a pain in the ass as far as time and logistics go, as detailed by the rather lengthy post, and a lot of it would be for naught without the Hotness. There wouldn't be any real extra exposure for their design, especially if we expanded the Fog numbers.

Then again, I still don't think that's what's going on, nor do I think there is anything even approaching deserving of the label of proof to back it up.

EDIT: I think posts like the ones above are why the animals are rattling their cages so much. Yes, that's ultimately the most important thing (there, I said it), but the contest purist in me wants to say then they should just ditch the theme thing. If a majority of voters could give less than two dead weasels about the theme when they vote, why limit the artists even more from competing in a meaningful way?

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick

whoa, look at the Wootbot's total number of posts and then the ongoing sale #.

chrisdazzo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages chrisdazzo

I feel like I may be the only one to say that I liked this shirt, regardless of the Steampunk purists and dissenters that have seem to gone on for 9 pages. Oh well. In for one.

I'll be your Apple man.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
jamescho84 wrote:Lol. It's not detrimental because I am playful, and I give trolls and only trolls the same level of respect as they show me. As far as ramy goes, or any other winner that has had so many wins - he/they have no other choice. You don't talk Gigli (2003) to an angry mob about to molotov your house. And eHalcyon, I know your ultra-active in this community and have 18x the number posts I've had - but since the beginning here, most people have put a fake smile on their face because at times, people have posted saying "I don't vote for this artist because of his/her attitude," when they were rightfully and civilly defending their work.

This is a contest where money is involved. A LOT of money. If you want to keep prospering - and saturate the audience with your artwork, you better be a good salesman about it no matter how much guppy you're taking. It isn't about moral superiority at any level. It's about damage control.



Yes, I am aware that there are people here who "put a fake smile on their face" and are rather more vocal off-site. If Tabernack's point is correct about ramyb's discourteous behaviour outside of woot, then ramyb is no different than those people. That wasn't why I brought up your post though. I was replying to an argument that ramyb's politness on woot was all an act - an act put on because if he were to act out in an abrasive manner, he would lose votes. Moreover, I was replying to the argument that a respectable artist should not have to defend his or her work and if that an artist did defend his/her work, then that artist would come out looking foolish. I pointed to your post because you did just that - you defended your work - and the community still respects you as an artist. As well they should.



I don't think there's anything new I can add to the discussion at this moment. If nothing else, I hope that this entry has provided some cathartic release for the community and that tensions will be eased, if only temporarily. Then again, I suppose Fable is going to have to weather the same barrage next week. I wonder if she even knows what's going on... I haven't seen her in a long while.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

tohru


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tohru
chrisdazzo wrote:I feel like I may be the only one to say that I liked this shirt, regardless of the Steampunk purists and dissenters that have seem to gone on for 9 pages. Oh well. In for one.



I was in for 3. I didn't say it but, I like it. I like it because it reminded me of the Iron Giant. And we love robots.

hoktauri


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoktauri

If there was some conspiracy between woot and ramy/seki wouldn't they just dump the derbys and hire them?

sycophant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sycophant

I for one Looooooooooooooooove this shirt.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
tohru wrote:Do I have to seperate my Ramy/Seiky's from the "other" woot shirts?



Yes.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
sycophant wrote:I for one Looooooooooooooooove this shirt.



Then why didn't you buy one before taking time to post about it?

akamai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akamai
sycophant wrote:I for one Looooooooooooooooove this shirt.



Username: sycophant
Oh you!

MotherFogger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MotherFogger
mrwednesday wrote:Then why didn't you buy one before taking time to post about it?



Oh that's easy, Mr.Wednesday. He bought it on one of his other multiple accounts.

You're one bad mother... SHUT YO MOUTH!

leelaaa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
plasticgrape wrote:I'm failing to see why this shirt is being called emo? A lot of you guys seem to be the emo ones whining and crying about not being able to buy the tee shirt you wanted like it's the end of the world. Wahhh.

I like this shirt. I like dogs. I like robots. Steampunk or not it's a cool shirt. I like how everyone thinks they know the true definition of what steampunk is. I will tell you what it is....another fad that will soon be replaced by something else.



uhm considering it is the derby theme...it's not a "fad" it's the thing that all the shirts are supposed to be...and yeah steampunk has a defination, you can read about it online if you'd like

i'm sure someone else already told you that that was a stupid comment for you to make, but i've been away for the weekend and haven't made it through the thread yet

edit: and it doesn't look like i will make it through the thread either

mixer23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23
smedgrick wrote:whoa, look at the Wootbot's total number of posts and then the ongoing sale #.



Silly person...

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
HeartlineTwist wrote:If Ramy and Seki were to leave shirt.woot forever, I assure you another artist or artists would quickly gain a weekly stranglehold over the fog in their stead.


And we've already sampled the truth of this hypothesis. What happened the 1 derby seki and ramy were gone, and the following derby where seki was still MIA and ramy did a semi-different style (yes debatable) than normal. Heartline nailed it. New 'known/popular' designers with followings became the immediate NEW frontrunners - immediate fogging.... 1 designer printed both weeks, and 2 designers printed one week but at least fogged in the other. Other popular designers nestled in the hotnesss/brushed the fog/were up in the top spots much of the derby.

Tabernack wrote:*snip*giving other artists who are trying just as hard, if not harder than he is, a sliver of the spotlight. *snip he needs to show a little compassion to everyone else trying to earn a buck and their 10 minutes of fame, too. It'd sure be a nice morale boost for a LOT of people out there.


Quite frankly from what I've observed when Ramy/Seki were out, it's mostly going to give morale boosts, as you say, to other popular artists who have already printed and established with their fans here. It was pretty discouraging, but I guess that's the way it is.

Unless most the designers that have already printed/have large followings sat out a derby, there probably isn't going to be a morale boost to relative unknowns who work hard on designs and have never been printed without a bit of luck or their own growing fans. Much as I'd like to think (and hope) otherwise, I've realized that shirt.woot has perhaps as much to do with popularity/name/followings than it does with the design itself. And anyway, tee design is so subjective.

sonotthereason wrote:
I have read many times in these forums that people can recognize an artist immediately from their submission, and as long as it isn't Ramyb/Seiki, it's a celebrated thing. When Cho submitted for this derby, the comments made again and again were that "you" would vote for them simply because they submitted...every time Edgar submits, the first comment is "you" knew immediately he was the one who submitted it...the comments for Drakxx were "you" sincerely hoped he would submit multiple designs and "you" could see him taking home three wins...and it was fine, until it didn't happen for the person "you" decided was worthy.


Good points. Comments like those plus unabashed adoration for other artists besides the 2 flamed ones are quite abundant on shirt.woot.

Regardless, in my case, I've gotten bits of encouragement/happiness from nice comments on my designs, brushes with the top 10 and my 2 HMs, so I'll keep trying unless I become too discouraged... I think!


spinq42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spinq42

So I've been wasting a lot of time reading this when I should be writing a paper (curse you finals!!), and most of what I've read is mildly absurd... But, what I really want to talk about is how long it took me to figure out that "guppy" and "snuggling" were censors.

You have no idea how confused I was for like six pages of comments.

./facepalm myself

wootasourous


quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
bobgray wrote:I'll keep this as simple as possible.

Thus far, I've bought 20 shirts here (just counted) and there is only one thing I consider, would I wear that shirt? I don't really care about who designed it, nor if it may or may not have fit whatever derby it came from.

I'm here to buy a shirt, not to buy art. Sometimes they work well together, other times not. So if you design a beautiful artwork that matches whatever theme is going on, that's great, but if I wouldn't wear it on a shirt, sorry but I'm not buying it. On the other hand,if I like the design, I'll buy it.

Very simple.

Make a shirt I like and I'll vote for and/or buy it.



Thank you sir/ma'am. I wish to shake your hand and talk business someday.

hobolooter


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hobolooter

I like the shirt, so I bought it. Thanks woot!

wootasourous


quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
hobolooter wrote:I like the shirt, so I bought it. Thanks woot!



Good job! =]

People need to realize this need to be about shirts, and how it looks on a shirt. Not how we are going to put it onto a canvas and paint it...

ztfreep


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ztfreep

A friend of mine once said that if someone came up to him with some sort of conspiracy theory, one in which they felt particularly paranoid, he'd ask "Who are 'They'? Name three." I guess I'd have to add "And how do they work their evil (if such they are) deeds so successfully?"

All of the accusations and counter-accusations and that jazz ought to be tested by these rules if you are REALLY feeling serious about "getting to the bottom of things" and "rooting out the evil".

And then there is shirt.woot! - you DO understand, don't you, that it is an absolute autocracy? It is not an "autonomous collective" because we aren't playing 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' here. Furthermore, it would do the majority of "us here forum/community people" much value to understand that it is by no means whatsoever either a democracy nor a republic. Folks can rant and rave all they want, and perhaps shirt.woot! employees might not enjoy what is being written, but it really isn't much more than the whining of a gnat. The forum simply has no power over the company nor is it likely to in the near future. The one and ONLY way this could happen is if 'everyone voted with their feet' - that is, enough people utterly abandoned this 'place' so that it became unprofitable. Given the divisiveness shown in the, oh, last nine pages of banter I'm quite certain that whoever 'we' are simply aren't going to abandon this 'place'. shirt.woot! OWNS things and gets to run it any way they want; they can change the rules any time they want; and basically - unless they break some law and someone came formulate an effective complaint - nothing written here actually affects them.

The last bit of irrelevancy that I'd like to point out is that the internal workings of shirt.woot! simply are not made particularly visible to people who use it - either artists, voters, nor customers. Quite frankly, they don't HAVE to make things completely documented including all of the special cases and stuff like that. Even given the fact that they've stuck in an exceptionally annoying word-filter entails the creation of the need for a glossary to find out what a poster actually said (without going through the "do a test reply and read their message & then cancel" bit). Be that as it may, there is a rather high likelihood that shirt.woot CAN'T provide complete and understandable documentation of itself. In particular, there are bits and pieces that are so ingrained that they don't even see them any more.

So, that's a couple-three random paragraphs. I'm rather glad that I'm not involved in the emotional fabric of this debate because it is both unpleasant and ultimately speaking without effect.

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
wootasourous wrote:Good job! =]

People need to realize this need to be about shirts, and how it looks on a shirt. Not how we are going to put it onto a canvas and paint it...



or how it's going to fix said theme, oops you forgot that part (that's a big part of it. )

Pufferfishy


quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy
shonnelizabeth wrote:I like this shirt and bought one. I also voted for it.

I'll be looking out my window now waiting for the lynch mob to arrive.

Don't worry, they won't be able to carry any weapons as their hands will be cramped from spewing all this bile via keyboard

You've been put on posting probation for this post