brieanna

quality posts: 47 Private Messages brieanna
PermaBuzzed wrote:Yea the pinata is totally from Viva Pinata...

No. Go google Pinata and look at the first image that gets brought up and compare. Look at the outline.

I like my signature.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
eHalcyon wrote:I'm not entirely sure which version is the glowing version. Is it the one where the candy is bright or where it is dim? I'm confused because the shirt comp shows the bright version, but I believe the past glow-in-the-dark shirts showed the non-glowing version on the shirt comp, only showing the glow in the large image.

The one without the glowing candy is the glow-in-the-dark version. First of all, there are 3 ink colors (black and two blues)+the glow, and the one with the visible candy uses halftones. The other has the glow-in-the-dark color that woot uses on their comps and the soft glow around it. This is why I said that it's unfortunate that the candy itself doesn't glow in the dark.

kimmux

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kimmux

The demon llama is mocking me.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
prateeko wrote:How come whenever I get an x-ray it never comes back as fun as this? It's always organ this and bone that...

X-rays can't show organs, can they?

Edit: my bad. I think they can...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

prodigy311

quality posts: 1 Private Messages prodigy311

I love Sammy's Cabo Wabo. What's wrong with you guys?

eHalcyon

ramyb wrote:The one without the glowing candy is the glow-in-the-dark version. First of all, there are 3 ink colors (black and two blues)+the glow, and the one with the visible candy uses halftones. The other has the glow-in-the-dark color that woot uses on their comps and the soft glow around it. This is why I said that it's unfortunate that the candy itself doesn't glow in the dark.

That's what I thought. But from a logical perspective, you'd think that the X-Ray version would be the glow-in-the-dark version (i.e. lights off to see the X-Ray, which shows the insides). Instead, we turn the lights off to get the "regular" view, with X-ray being lights on. Counter-intuitive.

saintnicks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saintnicks

Cute, but a little boring for my tastes.

skeet skeet skeet

eHalcyon

brieanna wrote:No. Go google Pinata and look at the first image that gets brought up and compare. Look at the outline.

Huh. Yeah, it does look like a trace. Only the head is different.

And I actually thought it WAS a smile. Even looking for it, I can barely see how that line would be outlining the head. I can only see the smile.

ramyb

Not to make this into another broccoli issue, but:

The outline matches up perfectly (except for the tail), even down to the placement of the fringes that come off :/

The worst thing about it is that there's even a bump on the back of the leg, where the designer misinterpreted the original (which was supposed to be the tail I assume?) but just traced it as it was anyway

oasispaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oasispaw

this is the first woot shirt in a while that i didn't have to mull over before buying. totally booya.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
eHalcyon wrote:X-rays can't show organs, can they?

At's what she said!!!!

eHalcyon

ramyb wrote:Not to make this into another broccoli issue, but:

(large image snipped)

The outline matches up perfectly (except for the tail), even down to the placement of the fringes that come off :/

Yay Pinata?

To the designer's credit, at least it isn't just a happy face slapped onto the pinata. It's many happy faces on many pieces of candy.

KeyserSoze33

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KeyserSoze33

Well then. That just makes this shirt that much more hilarious to me.

It is the first return on google pics, absolutely classic.

aceftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceftw

amazing shirt, one of the best i've ever seen on woot. definitely my style!

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
eHalcyon wrote:Yay Pinata?

To the designer's credit, at least it isn't just a happy face slapped onto the pinata. It's many happy faces on many pieces of candy.

Thngs will never change around here. Never, this shirt will print and WOOT will make it's money and the world will keep turning . Depressing thing to see really.

brieanna

quality posts: 47 Private Messages brieanna
ChefRAZ wrote:Thngs will never change around here. Never, this shirt will print and WOOT will make it's money and the world will keep turning . Depressing thing to see really.

<-----Not Supporting Theft

And I really wanted this shirt for my little guy. He really digs the glow in the dark shirts.

I like my signature.

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25

hmm woot's single semester of spanish did not do a very good job of teaching when and where accents go on words...

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

eHalcyon

Can anyone find the original source of the photo? It's also on the second page and the fourth page of Google Image results. The original owner should be informed.

Then again, the image might be public domain, in which case this is merely a moral issue and not an ethical one.

RyanOliver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RyanOliver

Candy Ace! Haha

gsun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsun

at first I was all, "who's dale?"
then I got the kikz

saintnicks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saintnicks
eHalcyon wrote:Can anyone find the original source of the photo? It's also on the second page and the fourth page of Google Image results. The original owner should be informed.

Then again, the image might be public domain, in which case this is merely a moral issue and not an ethical one.

Call em up: http://www.rareware.com/

skeet skeet skeet

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko

The worst thing about it is that there's even a bump on the back of the leg, where the designer misinterpreted the original (which was supposed to be the tail I assume?) but just traced it as it was anyway

Well, I thought it looked like Horstachio, but why wouldn't it? The character in the game is a horse pinata. The way pinatas are made is pretty much the same with the type of paper glued on the outside and since this is a normal pinata (which Horstachio pretty much is) you'd expect them to look somewhat similar.

In this case it's a guy making a picture of something Microsoft/Rareware also based a game/character on and it's highly unlikely this is a copyright issue.

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001

you don't need glow sticks when you wear this shirt. it's a rave party on its own!

gone!

eHalcyon

saintnicks wrote:Call em up: http://www.rareware.com/

This isn't from Viva Pinata though, is it? It's a generic pinata photo, not a character from a franchise.

prateeko

eHalcyon wrote:This isn't from Viva Pinata though, is it? It's a generic pinata photo, not a character from a franchise.

The character they're talking about (Horstachio) is pretty much a generic pinata. It's a horse pinata, which is pretty much what all pinatas are so of course this and the character are going to look alike, they both are based on normal old pinatas (directly in this case).

eHalcyon

prateeko wrote:The character they're talking about (Horstachio) is pretty much a generic pinata. It's a horse pinata, which is pretty much what all pinatas are so of course this and the character are going to look alike, they both are based on normal old pinatas (directly in this case).

I'm not talking about the character, but rather the image from Google of which this design appears to be a direct trace. The photo is of Horstachio?

ramyb

prateeko wrote:The character they're talking about (Horstachio) is pretty much a generic pinata. It's a horse pinata, which is pretty much what all pinatas are so of course this and the character are going to look alike, they both are based on normal old pinatas (directly in this case).

I believe pinatas are generally supposed to be donkeys

eHalcyon

ramyb wrote:I believe pinatas are generally supposed to be donkeys

I thought they were supposed to be paper mache. Maybe not.

Wiki says:

In the Mexican Catholic celebration of Christmas, the piñata is traditionally shaped like a seven-pointed star which represents the devil and the seven deadly sins, while the contents are the goods or blessings he is withholding.

Irrelevant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant

i've never actually hit a pinata in real life. i hope i don't have a woot sighting with someone wearing this while i'm carrying a broomstick around. too tempting. (insert evil laugh here)

prateeko

eHalcyon wrote:I'm not talking about the character, but rather the image from Google of which this design appears to be a direct trace. The photo is of Horstachio?

It might as well be:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=horstachio&sa=N&tab=wi&um=1

The generic pinata, Horstachio, and the image on this shirt all look like because they're pretty much the same ubiquitous pinata we're used to up here. While a horse and a donkey are different, I doubt the subtleties between the two translate to paper mache.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Cute design, AND glow in the dark! ::debating purchase for someone::

eHalcyon

prateeko wrote:It might as well be:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=horstachio&sa=N&tab=wi&um=1

The generic pinata, Horstachio, and the image on this shirt all look like because they're pretty much the same ubiquitous pinata we're used to up here. While a horse and a donkey are different, I doubt the subtleties between the two translate to paper mache.

The character looks distinct to me. The issue is that the image is a direct trace of a photo - the very first one on Google Images. The shape is an exact match. If someone owns the rights to that photo, then there is a problem - just like there was a problem with Yay Broccoli. In that situation, Woot was forced to purchase the rights to the image. Unless the image is public domain, they may have to again.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
eHalcyon wrote:If someone owns the rights to that photo, then there is a problem - just like there was a problem with Yay Broccoli. In that situation, Woot was forced to purchase the rights to the image. Unless the image is public domain, they may have to again.

Oh, criminy, not again

eHalcyon

eHalcyon wrote:In that situation, Woot was forced to purchase the rights to the image. Unless the image is public domain, they may have to again.

Ammendment: Alternatively, Woot could take a stand to prevent this type of stuff from happening again. Maybe?

ztfreep

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ztfreep

You unfeeling b@stards! Reminding us of the Cerror Grande Wildfire of 2000 that took out 40,000 acres of beautiful wild forest!

As if we care about the Mexicans - they can KEEP their darned flu to themselves for all that I care.

(note: Yes, the fire did occur, yes, it did start on more-or-less that date, yes, Los Alamos and White Rock were completely evacuated while it took out 400 houses; but no, I'm not making fun of the Mexican Independence Day or the medical tragedy that seems to have befallen them.)

dieburnbot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dieburnbot

It glows in the dark! I'm tempted, but I have so many t-shirts. I sleep in t-shirts and I have enough to wear a different shirt every night for almost a month and 90% of them are woot shirts.

My brother had to stop me from hitting the I want it now button. i might end up giving into temptation if the shirt is still available in the morning.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
eHalcyon wrote:Ammendment: Alternatively, Woot could take a stand to prevent this type of stuff from happening again. Maybe?

Honestly, I'm sure someone(many someones, even) would gladly volunteer to do this for them if they couldn't do it themselves. Google is such a useful tool and I think most of us artists are more than happy to oblige to prevent things like this from happening..

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
eHalcyon wrote:Ammendment: Alternatively, Woot could take a stand to prevent this type of stuff from happening again. Maybe?

(note: the following assumes the designer did, in fact, do something wrong. I'm not saying at this point that he definitely did)

Take a stand? You mean by stopping the printing of the shirt and penalizing the designer in question, all in an open and transparent fashion?

I would really dig such a result, but I won't be staying up through the night holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

eHalcyon

marzipanapple wrote:Honestly, I'm sure someone(many someones, even) would gladly volunteer to do this for them if they couldn't do it themselves. Google is such a useful tool and I think most of us artists are more than happy to oblige to prevent things like this from happening..

Not much outrage tonight. Maybe everyone is burnt out from the last shirt.

If I was going to trace an image, I would at least have the decency to go to the tenth page of results. Eleventh, even!