+ Add a Comment

WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

What is it about cooking outdoors that makes everything taste so much better? An open fire under an open sky, the tang of the smoke permeating your clothes, the crunchy surprise of a wayward insect - no wonder this is one of the few habits we've kept from caveman days. This week, let's BBQ.

And by BBQ we mean all forms of recreational outdoor summertime cooking, including weenie roasts, shrimp on the barbie, S'mores, luaus, all of it. Explore the culture of BBQ. Investigate the regional variations of BBQ. Hypothesize about how zombies or Vikings would BBQ. Design something you'd wear while preparing or eating BBQ. Promote your favorite imaginary BBQ place. Have it your way, as long as it's about cooking outdoors for fun and nourishment.

Incidental text is allowed. Text on a BBQ sauce label or a map of BBQ styles is fine. A shirt that just says something like "What Are You Roasting Under There?" is not.



arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

BBQ. I'm down with that. Nice.

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant

i think i'll give this a whirl this week

JustJiggles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles


I smell the return of anthropomorphic food!!

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

YAY!!! It's all very fitting since I just broke in my brand new charcoal grill last weekend!!!



This is going to be one of those derbies that makes me so hungry... :s

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
JustJiggles wrote:I smell the return of anthropomorphic food!!



As in food that is alive, or furries being roasted alive!?

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Yeah I was thrilled with this one until the thought of scared food was mentioned... still a good theme. I predict a lot of sold out designs next week.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce

WTFBBQ!

Icemank91


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

I predict several designs including a Woolly Mammoth being roasted by cavemen. :D

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Everyone start sketching Weber grills...

I'm hoping we don't get a human on a grill being barbequed by a cute as buttons dinosaur...

omnitarian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
JustJiggles wrote:I smell the return of anthropomorphic food!!



Please no!

I'm getting a few ideas, but I think this derby suggestion will cue a slew of very tepid humor shirts. (There was like 3 unintended BBQ puns in that sentence). I wish I could say "I hope people think outside the box for this one", but to be honest I'm not sure this derby lends itself to anything like that.

Sapherynth


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sapherynth

I think I may be in for the obligatory dachshund weenie roast joke in honor of my weenie Harley. Hmmmmmm...

AGrant311


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311

Argh! And I was just complaining to my apartment manager. When a lot of my neighbors bar-b-q, they are just rude and sloppy. They drop both cooked chicken and rib bones on the ground and don't bother picking them up. I then have to extract these bones from the dogs' mouths. The chicken bones are dangerous, and the rib bones will also shred. This would be the equivilent of me putting out cupcakes with razor blades in them for my neighbors' children. Okay, just had to get that out in the open.

azuruli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages azuruli

Sounds fun! I'm definitely doing something with dragons for this one.

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Hmmm interesting, as BBQ was the topic of conversation all week and I was looking at BBQ accessories last night...
hope there aren't a lot of gross entries though, it can go there pretty easily..

Vote!



benjaminleebates


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I have far too many ideas.
I'm gonna be very busy tonight and tomorrow morning!

Xenora


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora

Something tells me this is going to be one humorous derby. Does Mongolian BBQ count?

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
omnitarian wrote:Please no!
(There was like 3 unintended BBQ puns in that sentence).



I think you meant "were".

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Xenora wrote:Something tells me this is going to be one humorous derby. Does Mongolian BBQ count?



Oooh yum! Please do go there!

Xenora


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora

Wiki'd Mongolian BBQ. Turns out it started in Taiwan. Go Figure. :P I'm still considering a Hun Cookout, however.

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

I have my idea already... only need three colors: black, fire and sauce!

j/k... I wish I could do more with less colors but that part is always my downfall. Well... one of them. I CAN DO THISSS!!!


*sigh* Don't mind me...

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I've got an unique idea. Hopefully being "on fire" qualifies as BBQ to the rejecterator.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
illuminator wrote:I have my idea already... only need three colors: black, fire and sauce!

j/k... I wish I could do more with less colors but that part is always my downfall. Well... one of them. I CAN DO THISSS!!!


*sigh* Don't mind me...



It's okay... ;)

Paradox55


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55

I didn't learn this until I moved south. BBQ is something you eat, not something you do. You can cookout, you can grill, but you can only EAT BBQ. My almost-a-redneck hubby is going to have a problem with this derby. :D

Enedlhach


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach
Paradox55 wrote:I didn't learn this until I moved south. BBQ is something you eat, not something you do. You can cookout, you can grill, but you can only EAT BBQ. My almost-a-redneck hubby is going to have a problem with this derby.



well if we're gong that deep, I learned from a presentation that came to my school that bbqs started with the burning of slaves on stakes... I know it sounds terrible, but what I mean is we might as well just leave the definition as grilling food...

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Enedlhach wrote:well if we're gong that deep, I learned from a presentation that came to my school that bbqs started with the burning of slaves on stakes... I know it sounds terrible, but what I mean is we might as well just leave the definition as grilling food...



That makes no sense... cooking food over a fire has been around since... well since there was fire!

xtinaftw


quality posts: 21 Private Messages xtinaftw
AGrant311 wrote:This would be the equivilent of me putting out cupcakes with razor blades in them for my neighbors' children.




Thanks for the great shirt idea!!!!! jk.... no really. jk.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
illuminator wrote:That makes no sense... cooking food over a fire has been around since... well since there was fire!



Yes, but when was slaw invented? That's the pertinent question. If there's no slaw, there's no barbeque

ressamac


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac

How can I think about a design if I keep drooling over my keyboard. Need some BBQ stat!

Icemank91


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

This is my entry. I think it will automatically win, because it's pretty awesome, and really well done. It took me a lot of time and I put a lot of effort and hard work into this. This NEEDS to print.

I call it...

YAY Barbecue!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ressamac wrote:How can I think about a design if I keep drooling over my keyboard.



how do you usually do it?



badum-bum!

fablefire


quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
SkekTek wrote:Yes, but when was slaw invented? That's the pertinent question. If there's no slaw, there's no barbeque



I knew there was something missing in my life lately. Now I'm going to crave sweet coleslaw until I find some.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Icemank91 wrote:This is my entry. I think it will automatically win, because it's pretty awesome, and really well done. It took me a lot of time and I put a lot of effort and hard work into this. This NEEDS to print.

I call it...

YAY Barbecue!



Gonna find the first hotdog picture on google and use it for your image? XD

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Icemank91 wrote:This is my entry. I think it will automatically win, because it's pretty awesome, and really well done. It took me a lot of time and I put a lot of effort and hard work into this. This NEEDS to print.

I call it...

YAY Barbecue!



YOU'RE A WEINER! XD

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant

...been kind of playing around with my only real idea for the last 3 hours...

here's the work in progress...but i'd love to solicit any feedback before i keep going on it.

right now one of the kids is roasting marshmallows; was thinking the others might have hot dogs or other bbq things...now sure really where to take it.



oh, and i'm not where i want to be aesthetically either...mostly working on concept and placement at this point

wmorrill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmorrill
Irrelevant wrote:...been kind of playing around with my only real idea for the last 3 hours...

here's the work in progress...but i'd love to solicit any feedback before i keep going on it.

right now one of the kids is roasting marshmallows; was thinking the others might have hot dogs or other bbq things...now sure really where to take it.



oh, and i'm not where i want to be aesthetically either...mostly working on concept and placement at this point



I was definitly working on a VERY similar design. I guess ill let you run with it since youve already posted. I think its worth pursueing, but if you give up on it let me know.

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
wmorrill wrote:I was definitly working on a VERY similar design. I guess ill let you run with it since youve already posted. I think its worth pursueing, but if you give up on it let me know.



please don't stop working on yours...i suspect several entries of this sort in this derby; i'd hate for you not to enter your design on my account. i'm certain i'll end up submitting mine...i just don't know if i have the patience to keep working on it or the ability to make it as i see it in my head.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
fablefire wrote:I knew there was something missing in my life lately. Now I'm going to crave sweet coleslaw until I find some.



I <3 slaw. ON my BBQ of course.

omnitarian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

Lineart done! Colors pending, obviously, and don't worry about the red lines, they're to be made equal to the rest in due time.



Honest feedback greatly appreciated, and whew I really hope nobody else thought of this idea.

Now to catch a snack, drawing this made me hungry. :\

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
omnitarian wrote:Lineart done! Colors pending, obviously, and don't worry about the red lines, they're to be made equal to the rest in due time.



Honest feedback greatly appreciated, and whew I really hope nobody else thought of this idea.

Now to catch a snack, drawing this made me hungry. :\



Holey moley! I love your drawing style! Very pen-and-ink!