Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA

Somebody needs to learn to spell onomatopoeia -- especially with an educational shirt like this.

intothemoooon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages intothemoooon
JadenKale wrote:I found your highschool photo. Damn, were you ever fly:

But did you really wait so long to take a shower til you turned green?

I think I stuck about four or five pencils in my hair a day, back when I was seven years old and did stuff like that. I also definitely showered every night, or I would have ended up with dreads rather than an afro! ^_^

But really, this green character makes my life pretty much. Looks like I'm not the only one!

(sidenote: at this point in time, my hair is actually green.)

jessemeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessemeyer

i thought shirt.woot wanted to sell shirts...where do they get this sh*t?

Koniro

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Koniro

Wow, the "Stay SHARP!" is really cheesy.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
intothemoooon wrote:I think I stuck about four or five pencils in my hair a day, back when I was seven years old and did stuff like that. I also definitely showered every night, or I would have ended up with dreads rather than an afro! ^_^

But really, this green character makes my life pretty much. Looks like I'm not the only one!

(sidenote: at this point in time, my hair is actually green.)

dude, I'm mind reader this week.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

this really gives me flashbacks......bad ones.

I would always get into trouble, and as punishment my teacher would make me stand there and sharpen everybody in the class's pencils.

I just remember standing there forever with a big roll of pencils, sharpening endlessly.

Dang, my arms got tired...

mixer23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23
Jestik wrote:this really gives me flashbacks......bad ones.

I would always get into trouble, and as punishment my teacher would make me stand there and sharpen everybody in the class's pencils.

I just remember standing there forever with a big roll of pencils, sharpening endlessly.

Dang, my arms got tired...

I remember a teacher that would have us do that too! Some of us secretly liked it(and would pretend otherwise)... ;)

Dominitus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dominitus
evilashe wrote:I'm pretty sure all the oil-based plastics and excess energy needed to make mechanical pencils, along with the fact that they don't biodegrade when they're discarded (sooner than they should be, most of the time), results in mechanical pencils being a lot less of an environmentally friendly product..

No, don't you see? He's not pro-environment, he's pro-tree!

Fact: Trees love CO2
Fact: Trees love heat
Fact: Trees want us dead

He clearly wants us to use mechanical pencils to kill off the human race while turning into an arboreal wonderland.

OiOi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OiOi

Ooooh Dan is from St. Louis! So sorry but I gotta ask - What high school did you go to?

heehee I was a Webster Groves Statesmen.

I can't believe that I just asked that question! ;)

bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson

Is that a Boston?

If it is...

Boss Boston Boss!!!

imatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imatt

I got a paddlin' in the 2nd grade for grinding down the eraser and metal end of a pencil in the manual sharpener.

AliCat713

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AliCat713
imatt wrote:I got a paddlin' in the 2nd grade for grinding down the eraser and metal end of a pencil in the manual sharpener.

This shirt appears to be dredging up horrible memories for everyone.

Shame on you Woot.

(In for two.)

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

Oh Man...

We still have one of these in our basement.

*shudder*

I remember when our electric one broke, and I had to sharpen like 8 pencils at around 7 in the morning before heading off to take the SATs. Not fun.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

Did you see on Family Guy, when Peter was made the head of a cigarrette company and he was given his own office with a desk and a pencil sharpener, and he was bored, so he sharpened all the pencils, sighed, and looked around to see if anyone was there. Then he stuck his finger in the pencil sharpener. Then his tongue. And then, looking around again, he stood up, unzipped his pants...

Well, you can guess what happens next. But that's what this shirt reminds me of. I'll think of that every time I see it.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

xxchange

JadenKale wrote:Actually, when you are learning to write in kindergarten, they give you larger pencils to hold on to. They are a wider girth than the traditional #2 pencil so that you can hold them easier. That's not true for all children (kids who have a lighter grip or weak hands can't always handle a larger pencil). But as a general rule, the larger pencils help kids fine tune the motor skills needed to write.

No, I never got bigger pencils. I remember big markers--oh, the fun I used to have with those big markers--but my pencils were all regular sized, in and out of class. Did what you're thinking of go out of style?

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict
p4labduhl wrote:the directions on the H are incomplete

i am debating whether or not this is a good enough reason to not buy this shirt

Oh man, didn't notice that. Where's the 3?

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

depward

quality posts: 6 Private Messages depward

Totally going to buy this so I can wear my "be natural and be sharp" shirt AND THEN THIS the following day, perhaps creating a rift in time and space.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

You know, besides the nostalagia of the pencil sharpner, the way "Sharp" was written (and will all those arrows), the word "D'nealian" came to mind. Which is the method in which my elementary school was taught cursive, if I recall correctly.
It had some really weird looking capital letters, like the letter Q looked reaally stupid, I remember, like a big 2. A lot of the letters looked goofy, really. I wonder if everyone from my school still writes cursive in that style?:D

Vote!

rmaillard830

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmaillard830
mixer23 wrote:I remember a teacher that would have us do that too! Some of us secretly liked it(and would pretend otherwise)... ;)

I preferred clapping the erasers outside to remove voluminous amounts of chalk dust.

Good times.

mixer23

rmaillard830 wrote:I preferred clapping the erasers outside to remove voluminous amounts of chalk dust.

Good times.

Ha! Yep, another great pasttime... I also remember we would argue over who would get to do it whenever the teacher left the classroom, such rebels we were.

DavidHart

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DavidHart

I'm guessing that the shirt.woot! guys had a company BBQ on Sunday with lots of liquids flowing. How else could you explain this shirt?

Dad always said never to buy a car built on a Monday, it looks like this applies to shirts as well.

David

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dkalnz wrote:Yeah and mechanical pencils are made with plastic. Plastic that is made in plastic factories that output toxic gases into the atmosphere which, ironically, kill trees.

Doesn't stop my son (3 years old) from trying to stick them in the electric pencil sharpener...

Neat shirt for my young boys, though I showed the 6-year old it and he was like "what is that?!?". I told him it was a sharpener, and he said he never saw one like it.

Kids...

camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor

I don't get it, what's the point?

fleamarketadict

jasneko wrote:...Which is the method in which my elementary school was taught cursive....
It had some really weird looking capital letters, like the letter Q looked reaally stupid, I remember, like a big 2. A lot of the letters looked goofy, really. I wonder if everyone from my school still writes cursive in that style?:D

What other style of cursive is there? How do you write a cursive "Q" if not like a "2"?

kiliaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiliaa
camoor wrote:I don't get it, what's the point?

What's the point of any design? To look cool, to make you think, to make you feel... obviously this shirt has a lot of nostalgic power for a lot of people, myself included. I may have to get one.

fleamarketadict

camoor wrote:I don't get it, what's the point?

har-har! I see what you did there.

fleamarketadict

Hey shirt.woot,
Any chance you could ask the designer to fix the writing directions on the letter H before printing?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
fleamarketadict wrote:What other style of cursive is there? How do you write a cursive "Q" if not like a "2"?

I never liked cursive. In elementary school, my teachers would all tell me "you NEED to learn to handwriting because high school teachers only accept papers written in cursive." In high school, they all wanted typed papers - or barring that, papers neatly PRINTED in blue or black ink. Cursive has no practical value for me.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

RLMoran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RLMoran

I actually had some ridiculously tiny pencils with hearts and/or unicorns on them and they'd have been impossible to sharpen if it weren't for that tiny option on the sharpener's radial.

Those pencils always looked sadly disproportionate to the huge "Pink Pet" eraser.

erei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erei

Am I the only moron that actually ENJOYED using the manual sharpener in school???? *sob

erei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erei
eHalcyon wrote:I never liked cursive. In elementary school, my teachers would all tell me "you NEED to learn to handwriting because high school teachers only accept papers written in cursive." In high school, they all wanted typed papers - or barring that, papers neatly PRINTED in blue or black ink. Cursive has no practical value for me.

I only use cursive when filling out checks... hm.

eHalcyon

erei wrote:I only use cursive when filling out checks... hm.

My signature is basically a messy scribble that approximates some of the letters in my name. It's different every time.

amcatanzaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amcatanzaro
eHalcyon wrote:My signature is basically a messy scribble that approximates some of the letters in my name. It's different every time.

My signature is exactly the same scribble everytime. You can't read it. The cc machines at Target occasionally require ID since they think I'm pulling their computer legs.

I wasn't going to stay up. Drat! Foiled again!

Travel in style! Travel in a Woot shirt!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

I have no idea what caused someone to create this shirt. Proof that this whole "nostalgia" thing has finally reached "bull-flippin'-apcray" level. Seriously, you were THAT attached to grade school manual crank-sharpeners that you had to create/buy this?

xxchange

AdderXYU wrote:I have no idea what caused someone to create this shirt. Proof that this whole "nostalgia" thing has finally reached "bull-flippin'-apcray" level. Seriously, you were THAT attached to grade school manual crank-sharpeners that you had to create/buy this?

Amen.

mixer23

AdderXYU wrote:I have no idea what caused someone to create this shirt. Proof that this whole "nostalgia" thing has finally reached "bull-flippin'-apcray" level. Seriously, you were THAT attached to grade school manual crank-sharpeners that you had to create/buy this?

Sorry Adder, I shall disagree with you on this one... For someone like me that had a great childhood, it's a no-brainer for me to wanna wear something that has a piece of my past on it.

Visit Apparel Asylum, your opinion counts!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
xxchange wrote:No, I never got bigger pencils. I remember big markers--oh, the fun I used to have with those big markers--but my pencils were all regular sized, in and out of class. Did what you're thinking of go out of style?

The pencils did not go out of style. My mom teaches kindergarten again after 12 years of being an administrator. From what I've seen of the classroom, she still uses the larger pencils.

They certainly still make the fatter pencils:

I bet you enjoyed the markers... were you one of the kids in the corner secretly sniffing them? lol

seeyardee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages seeyardee

In for one. Looks cool! Thanks to the artist and to Woot!

8 Woots to date:

• 12/11/2008 Woot-Off Lights, Timex Clock Radio for Sansa e200 & c200 Series, Melitta Milk Frother with Shaker, Cell Phone Alert Holder with Night Light
  • 01/13/2009 Sandisk Clip 1GB MP3 Player
  • 06/15/2009 Stay Sharp! (Shirt Woot!)
  • 08/27/2009 Belkin Sansa Charging Kit x3 (Sellout Woot!)
  • 10/28/2009 Screaming Monkey with Cape x3 (white cape)
  • 12/27/2009 Sansa Fuze Black 2GB Media Player

eHalcyon

JadenKale wrote:The pencils did not go out of style. My mom teaches kindergarten again after 12 years of being an administrator. From what I've seen of the classroom, she still uses the larger pencils.

They certainly still make the fatter pencils:

I bet you enjoyed the markers... were you one of the kids in the corner secretly sniffing them? lol

I contend that the photo displays a regular sized pencil in the grip of a child with abnormally tiny hands.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
amcatanzaro wrote:My signature is exactly the same scribble everytime. You can't read it. The cc machines at Target occasionally require ID since they think I'm pulling their computer legs.

i try to include little drawings of genitalia when i sign the cc machines.