imsochady

quality posts: 14 Private Messages imsochady
Cycospaz2 wrote:SOMEONE has had to have invented a cordless toaster by now

Not just cordless, but with a remote as well. Or better yet, voice activated! Oh man, the future of toasters is sure getting better.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
imsochady wrote:Not just cordless, but with a remote as well. Or better yet, voice activated! Oh man, the future of toasters is sure getting better.

LIES. All LIES. NO SUCH TOASTERS EXIST.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

erei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erei

Am I the only one that thinks the bread looks like teddy bears D:

Slices of bear bread....

godslinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godslinger

Everyone knows you shouldn't put red velvet cake in the toaster....

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
xxchange wrote:How long has that thing been around?

I was in Jr. High just under ten years ago. IIRC, my home room teacher was the one who played it for us (on his computer - not live).

It's by Heywood Banks and was apparently played on a toaster with a pair of forks.

Live Performance!

Can't find when it was released though...

xxchange wrote:Nuh-uh. Total myth. Right up there with unicorns.

Except unicorns are easier to make. All you need is a white horse, a cone, white spray paint, and duct tape.

I believe you need a narwhal tooth to make a proper unicorn.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

xtinaftw

quality posts: 21 Private Messages xtinaftw
erei wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the bread looks like teddy bears D:

Slices of bear bread....

That was my very first thought. And would have definitely raised the (handle) bar (mustache) on this shirt if they were in fact teddy bears. Tis a shame.

xxchange

eHalcyon wrote:I believe you need a narwhal tooth to make a proper unicorn.

Oh, well, yes, that will work too.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

jsk4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsk4

My first shirt woot!

Thanks Gimetzco!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Such a confusing message... from afar, it makes me want to make some toast, but up close, it does the opposite...
to toast or not to toast.

xxchange

jasneko wrote:Such a confusing message... from afar, it makes me want to make some toast, but up close, it does the opposite...

I vote for toast. Can never eat too much. Just ask Ronald McDonald.

imsochady

quality posts: 14 Private Messages imsochady
jasneko wrote:Such a confusing message... from afar, it makes me want to make some toast, but up close, it does the opposite...

Hahah...with butter and marmalade?

Doza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doza

not a fan of heather gray but im in for one anyway

PauGruart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PauGruart

awesome toast! and the shipping for free! is it always free??

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
PauGruart wrote:awesome toast! and the shipping for free! is it always free??

for shirts? yes, unless you want them overnighted.

saritadarko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saritadarko

After I ate my breakfast [toast] I went to shirt.woot and now I feel funny.

kredal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kredal
PauGruart wrote:awesome toast! and the shipping for free! is it always free??

Your shipping choices are:

Free: A band of Gypsies is hired (for free) to make a daring break-in of the Woot offices, sneak around until they find the shirt you want, then steal the shirt, and take it all around the country showing it off in a magical plastic wrapper that is sealed to prevent anyone (even you!) from opening it easily, and after some period of weeks, the shirt is finally delivered to you in your mailbox, having traveled more than you have in your entire life, and looking none the worse for wear, and you are surprised to receive it, thinking to yourself "who ordered this?"

$5.00: The shirt is sent overnight to your house and you can wear it two days after you click the giant gold button to the amusement of all your friends and neighbors.

Pick one.

PauGruart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PauGruart

thanks!!

JewelsMax

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JewelsMax
xxchange wrote:Why is that toaster French? I thought the general impression was that the French are cowards, not murderers.

When I saw the suit & mustache, I thought, "The butler did it!"

slighty1337

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slighty1337

congrats to the artist of course!

but can we start picking shirts that don't make me wanna beat a bum?

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp

I can see the toaster saying "Ta Daaaa!!!" He looks like a cheesey magician. And I like it!

vincentj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vincentj
ztfreep wrote:Visualize this (after all, that's what we do here, right?):

You are wearing this T-shirt design. A person who doesn't know you, doesn't know about shirt.woot!, and definitely doesn't know the category in which this design is supposed to fit sees you.

My question are: What are they going to think about it? How are they going to interpret it? How many are even going to have a CLUE that even is in the right 'topic neighborhood', much less 'common phrase'?

Oh yeah - congrats to the designer for getting printed and the monetary reward and all that stuff.

I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on this comment, so my apologies if everyone has been sending you messages and I just missed them. Only the shirts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday have anything to do with the Derby topic of the week. Monday-Thursday are just designs that the Woot staff think are cool, and sometimes actually are cool.

rglee129

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rglee129

Great illustration and I like the implied story.

jasneko

xxchange wrote:I vote for toast. Can never eat too much. Just ask Ronald McDonald.

Ronald McDonald pushes toast?

imsochady wrote:Hahah...with butter and marmalade?

Heh, if you're an engineer!

These toasts look like they have jam though... that could double as something more dark... ack.

eHalcyon

jasneko wrote:Heh, if you're an engineer!

These toasts look like they have jam though... that could double as something more dark... ack.

What does engineering have to do with it?

Orange marmalade = win!

Lemon is probably pretty good too.

gimetzco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gimetzco

Re: Real Art.

we all know Da Vinci was a master, but not a single drawing he did was fun, it was all either stoic images, autopsy art or engineering. and he never once drew a toaster.

never ever.

also re: heather gray. so i didn't want it on heather really, just a light gray, but the options are slim and all they had was heather. i tried other color combos and it just didn't work. so we are stuck with heather. sorry.

jasneko

eHalcyon wrote:What does engineering have to do with it?

Orange marmalade = win!

Lemon is probably pretty good too.

Reference to another thread imsochady and I were in... and this An Engineer's Guide to Cats

I prefer orange marmalade to lemon for sure.

eHalcyon

jasneko wrote:Reference to another thread imsochady and I were in... and this An Engineer's Guide to Cats

I prefer orange marmalade to lemon for sure.

Ah. I've seen that guide before! And I'm a software engineering student.

IamIreland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IamIreland
strawhat311 wrote:Is the toaster blushing so red that he's making the toasts like that?

The toaster isn't blushing... and it's probably the super-hot metal coils inside him.

mllemeranii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii

So now it's not just woot who holds different rules for different artists (yes I know rules differ between dailies and derbies), but even the most vocal wooters will look past them as well if it's an artist they like.

Similar shirts exist. Yes, this may be a better illustration and the expressions are different, but similar shirts exist.

xxchange

jasneko wrote:Heh, if you're an engineer!

No, Ronald McDonald pushes food.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mllemeranii wrote:So now it's not just woot who holds different rules for different artists (yes I know rules differ between dailies and derbies), but even the most vocal wooters will look past them as well if it's an artist they like.

Similar shirts exist. Yes, this may be a better illustration and the expressions are different, but similar shirts exist.

Being that I can't think of the shirt you're thinking of, I can't figure out how similar your similarity is.

The fact is similar shirts exist all the time: Threadless printed "Red" and "The Red" one shortly after the other. They both have very similar concepts, but are both also dramatically different stylistically and with the elements even somewhat different (the latter Red has a chainsaw, not a gun, and the wolf is nowhere to be seen, as I recall). They're similar, yes. I could have personally done without having the second one in the world. But they're different enough to co-exist.

In the derbies, often "similar shirts" are nearly identical. If you take the panda rejection, the idea is so incredibly widely done, woot would be a fool not to cut it off at the knees. The same derby's butterflies were the same exact placement and structure as another shirt and not only that, they were from a shirt printed at this site. I think there's probably a lot more leeway if its an inter-site issue, whether that is fair or not of woot. I say it is, though there are plenty of instances where it amounts to woot selling a worse shirt that already exists (Quick [red] fox).

As of right now, all I can think of that is similar is "we're toast" from Threadless, and even that is a toaster chasing two bread pieces, while this is mostly just a character. I'd be interested to know what I'm missing that this is more similar to. Until then, I think it's less about who does a shirt and more about -how- similar, at least for me. Unless the person who does a shirt is well known to rip off and pander and have no artistic morals. Then you are right.

mllemeranii

AdderXYU wrote:snip

The shirt I'm thinking of, while no longer available, was mass produced and sold at hot topic - label: loungefly.

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/56/4/AAAAAuDk_XkAAAAAAFZI9w.jpg?v=1182745700000

Toaster is popping out two pieces of toast as if he's constipated, and the toast(s) are flying out with great excitement. Reverse their emotions, add in today's artists' style, and you've got today's shirt.

I don't think this wasn't well done, because I think it's a better iteration, but it's too similar for me and I wasn't particularly a fan of the first. That, and the colors combined with the snowflake-like stars around the toaster make this shirt have a Christmas type feel.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mllemeranii wrote:The shirt I'm thinking of, while no longer available, was mass produced and sold at hot topic - label: loungefly.

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/56/4/AAAAAuDk_XkAAAAAAFZI9w.jpg?v=1182745700000

Toaster is popping out two pieces of toast as if he's constipated, and the toast(s) are flying out with great excitement. Reverse their emotions, add in today's artists' style, and you've got today's shirt.

I don't think this wasn't well done, because I think it's a better iteration, but it's too similar for me and I wasn't particularly a fan of the first. That, and the colors combined with the snowflake-like stars around the toaster make this shirt have a Christmas type feel.

ah, now my dear mademoiselle, you cannot expect me to be familiar with hot topic tees. My fragile eyes would melt, and that would just be messy ;)

FRamsden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FRamsden

Wow.

I don't know if the woot people read this but whoever did the write up for this shirt is an excellent poet.
I especially like the way you switched from trochees to iambs at different points

Appreciated.

The shirt is sweet too I like the nineteen fifties style, its not something you see very often.

Xanzibar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar

Hey That toaster is a Cereal Killer!!

(Wheat does count as cereal right?)

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

mllemeranii

AdderXYU wrote:ah, now my dear mademoiselle, you cannot expect me to be familiar with hot topic tees. My fragile eyes would melt, and that would just be messy ;)

I hear you on that, but still. Mass produced. I find that even more iffy than something similar to another dedicated shirt site.

Qriz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qriz

Oi! Mosh good! lol a picture of food with faces that is sooooooo cute lol hoho ima buy 1 for every1 i kno

(Woot needs to stop proving me right over and over and over again)

macanghear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macanghear

I wonder if it works better than the two toasters I bought on here a couple of weeks ago

bsg75

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bsg75

The Toasters were created by Man. They were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies.

gimetzco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gimetzco

the creation of this design came from a failed project that i was working on for a friend of mine. he wanted something retro. the best era to pull retro from for me is Midcentury (think disney's sleeping beauty era but in print). The stars and shape of the blob in the background are nods to this style, as well as the "cruddy" line work in various places. the limited color use is also a nod to the mid century style.

this project was web based and not initially intended to be a shirt. but when i was finished and the artwork rejected, i decided that it was a good enough to be on a shirt! so here it is.

note: i don't recall ever seeing the Hot Topic Mass produced shirt. believe what you will, though.