ElevenEleven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElevenEleven
Re: Stonehenge

Please vote for the RESUB of this design.

Re: Stonehenge RESUB

BoredStiff

quality posts: 13 Private Messages BoredStiff
Re: Right On His Tail

I can't decide if the oddly-drawn monkey legs intrigue me and make me really like this shirt, or are putting me off and are making me dislike it.

I'm leaning towards the former, but think that's only because I really want a green shirt.

CrazyLarkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CrazyLarkin
Re: An Unfolding Mystery

*** is an amazing artist! Although it's unfair that he's allowed so many images...hm. I'm going to complain to Woot.

jordie5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordie5000
Re: Three moons?

Aw! This is great.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
imsochady wrote:But you see, I think it safe to assume that cats naturally don't like rats/mice and vice versa (don't know why, but...), as graphically represented by Tom and Jerry. So in the illustration above, each cat has the palpable motive to kill the rat. But we don't know which one actually did it! Dress the cats up in multifarious garments, and voila, an awesome representation of the game Clue!

@Jaden - I think you just ruined my Saturday afternoon!

See, you're getting at exactly the right point. There is a logical connection between cats and rats. Cats kill rats. There is no connection whatsoever between cats and Clue.

As has already been mentioned the crayon design. Same idea but the difference is there is a logical thread. In Clue, all the characters are named for colors. Those colors can be found in crayons. It's as simple as that but there is nothing to link Clue in this way to cats.

It is exactly as it has been titled, "Cats with weapons" because nothing else is going on. This doesn't mean that the artist intended to pander by using cats just for votes, but it also does not mean that using cats makes any sense or has any purpose other than "I wanted to do cats," which is pretty much what the artist said.

stevegale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevegale

I wasnt sure if it counted as a symbol or text... But maybe the result will answer the question.

mrwednesday

Re: Three moons?

The way you have the comp it looks like the reed on the right hand side of the monster might actually be on the shirt and though I know it's not actually there just overlaid, I think it looks better that way.

..if that makes any sense.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
godierst wrote:Heh, so it is.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Woo hoo!!!! Copyright infringement all around! And lack of theme to boot. I'm having so much fun. Aren't you Jaden? Adder? Come on kids! It's so entertaining.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

Yeah. It's supposed to be a wooden cut-out of a cow. Guess I didn't make it obvious enough :/

BoredStiff

mitchellp wrote:So here's my first entry for this week's derby! And I'm liking the end result. And I hope you do too.

Basically, Mr. Duck is upset because he suspects the new hatchling belongs to the milkman, Mr. Beaver.

Give me a vote if you like it! Thanks!

I chuckled, but not quite sure this is on topic.

Milkmen and pool boys get all the chicks.

denx138

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denx138
Re: Divining Fate

hey this was on threadless, i voted for something like this

Popo108

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Popo108
imsochady wrote:I think the the rejection reason is pretty weak:

"It may be a mystery in the cosmic sense, but this isn't on topic."

It got rejected for not being on topic, yet they stated it is a "mystery.". A "mystery in the cosmic sense" is STILL a mystery!

Even woot's rules for this theme fits this entry, "...in the ineffable-elusive-transcendent-truths-about-life sense."

This IS on topic as you say but how can they reject this and not "Life is a Mystery" "Mystery woman" "The Mystery of Attraction" etc etc. Double standards Woot once again!

ISO30

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30
Leahbh wrote:It's not really a mystery.

Agreed. Very nice work, but the only mystery for me here is the finger at the top. Maybe it's just after the fall and it's a scolding finger...?

BoredStiff

mrwednesday wrote:"I wanted to do cats which is pretty much what the artist said."

And that, to me, is enough. Of course, I'm also the type who thinks there is NOTHING wrong with an artist saying "I wanted to do penguins because penguins are popular and I'll get votes and make some money."

Designing something that makes others happy is okay in my book, and is indeed a skillset that many are jealous of.

It 'aint easy making a living as an artist, and sometimes, to continue having the free time and luxury to do what you want to do, you have to pander a bit (not that I think this design is pandering at all).

The best artists (and philosophers) tend to have extra leisure time to refine their craft. Unfortunately, it's hard to have that leisure time when you are broke. Winning small commercial contests (like Woot derbies) is a way for some to get that leisure time.

Being a successful, thriving artist is hard.
Mass commercial sites like Woot are a good way for them to take in a few extra $$$.

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
AdderXYU wrote:Learning is important. when I actually took the time to try and compete seriously, the more i did it, the better my work got, in my eyes at least, and definitely insofar as I could do things faster and achieve similar "quality".

Practice doesn't make perfect, but it certainly makes better. Weigh your motivations. If you really want to be a designer, it is worth it to fight it out at the bottom if it means you'll start honing your art and concepts and climb back up the ranks.

I'm with you there all the way. I know how halftones are created when months ago I could never use them. Not that halftones are that super awesome, but it is something I picked up. I scrutinize designs and pick out the elements I like and try to recreate them. I read the comments and understand what works for designs. I have many ideas but they all have to filter though what I can actually put in digital form. I hate that. My mind's eye can never materialize what it sees. This attempt, this entry, is my best so far in my opinion because it so closely resembles what my idea was. I'd like to think I've come a long way in the few months doing this. The pop-culture stuff I aspire to not depend on, I have done non-pop-culture designs and will do more.

You don't have a lot of finesse when posting sometimes (like your first post hoho), but I really really really enjoy your presence here. Your insight is valuable. Thank you.

imsochady

quality posts: 28 Private Messages imsochady
mrwednesday wrote:See, you're getting at exactly the right point. There is a logical connection between cats and rats. Cats kill rats. There is no connection whatsoever between cats and Clue.

I am trying to sew a logical thread beyond the obvious. In the books, everyone is greedly motivated to wack Mr. Boddy. Here, the cats are naturally motivated to wack the rat. This is the connection I see. Yes, there is no straight connection between cats and Clue, but cats wacking rats and Prof. Plum, Mrs. Peacock, Col. Mustard...wacking Mr. Boddy is a connection to me.

(shoudl've used a different word than "wacking")

noseatbelts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noseatbelts

Very Mignola-esque, love it.

mrwednesday

BoredStiff wrote:stuff

No, I really get all that. I don't really care about the cats. The problems I have with the design I already mentioned and have to do with design elements and colors. I only responded to people who are insisting that cats make perfect sense. They don't. The artist knows they don't. And that's ok for some and not for others. That was really my only point.

saramcfarl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saramcfarl

Hehe... true! Maybe you can just tell your friends that it has implications in prime numbers, and leave out the mind-boggling imaginary part.

I'll be the first to admit that math involving complex proofs has, for the most part, eluded my understanding... which makes it all the more mysterious ;)

ppond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ppond
yankeebird wrote:As always, I'm a fan. I am concerned about the things mentioned above: the similar shirt on threadless, and the printability (even though you just addressed that). Of course, if the first thing is an issue, the second one won't matter any longer.

Usually a black t has a short life (washing really degrades the crispness of the color; course not washing brings up some social issues. . .) but this is tooooo good! GMV. Would buy in a flash.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
bobichka wrote:Who, who, who, who?!!

you may not believe this, but that was just on my playlist when I saw this.

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
Re: Upon Closer Inspection...

Oddly enough my hangup isn't "why would penguins be piloting the nessie-battleship", it's "why would penguins make their battleship look like Nessie?" Very endearing concept/illo but the derby theme feels shoehorned in.

SplashSilver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SplashSilver

That beaver looks almost exactly like Gopher from Winnie the Pooh.

Otherwise, cute idea!

BoredStiff

mrwednesday wrote: stuff about stuff.

And I need to be more careful myself. Post wasn't directed at you...I just used one of your quotes (taken out of context) as a springboard.

I actually agree with everything you have said, and, while in my opinion many critics are often failed artists (or chefs, moviemakers, writers, etc) who, because they lack the skill of those they critique, are overly harsh, condescending, and insecure they get so high on their horses they can no longer see the ground; I certainly don't put you in that category.

I actually enjoy your critiques, and feel they add value and insight to most discussions. You are often able to remove yourself and personal feelings from an argument, see it more than one way, then express your opinion from an objective POV, and don't beat us over the head with a holier-than-thou agenda.

The reason I quoted you (and I think this is the second time I have done so), is because I enjoy reading what you write and it often causes me to take a few moments to think about and digest it.

I will try to be more careful when directly pulling a quote, especially when said quote is (admittedly) taken out of context.

/end rant.

mrwednesday

Re: A Mysterious Conspiracy

With as much effort went into this I cannot believe it is still behind mess of halftones and hat on a shirt....

This one is really good.

mlenhardt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlenhardt
darthapo wrote:An age old mystery that started with sailors but continues on to this very day for pilots too. A triangle so dangerous, even Pythagoras himself would shudder in horror. It's a triangle of DOOM! And it's in bermuda. That's right, the Bermuda Triangle. Many a ship have wandered too close and have been swallowed up by the enigmatic polygonal shape.

Love it!

Barrylpn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barrylpn

Love this shirt! I so hope this one gets printed!!!

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Mystery of the Platypus Solved!

So here's my first entry for this week's derby! And I'm liking the end result. And I hope you do too.

Basically, Mr. Duck is upset because he suspects the new hatchling belongs to the milkman, Mr. Beaver.

Give me a vote if you like it! Thanks!

Edit: I've resubbed. Feel free to check out the new version and give it a vote too.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: tonight, a tail of murder

Oi! Mosh good! i want this!!!! GMV!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrwednesday

BoredStiff wrote:stuff referring to stuff about stuff

Good good. No harm no foul.

SplashSilver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SplashSilver
Re: Mystery of the Platypus Solved!

That beaver looks like a slightly edited trace of Gopher from Winnie the Pooh...

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kylemittskus wrote:Woo hoo!!!! Copyright infringement all around! And lack of theme to boot. I'm having so much fun. Aren't you Jaden? Adder? Come on kids! It's so entertaining.

Now now, Kyle, you've been to Teefury. Celebrity likenesses are TOTALLY ORIGINAL ART

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
denx138 wrote:hey this was on threadless, i voted for something like this

This was something of my own creation, I drew it out on paper with no reference, then useing stock photography of my own and pieces from a design I did for BBQ. So if you have seen something like this then it a major coincidence and I'd like to see it as well to see if mine was better, lol. But as always if it in fact there is something similar then Woot is welcome to do what they must.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

knepute

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knepute
Re: Murder Mystery

I know that people have discussed this before on Woot, but, I suppose the spirit of the derby and what not, I just had to comment.

Dear Adder,

I am not quite sure what kind of stick is up your behind, but you are quite rude, which is completely uncalled for. It is one thing to give constructive criticism on someone's work, but an entirely different thing to be plain rude. And you are just plain rude. I am not sure why either You have ever had an entry so it isn't like anyone has ever commented poorly to you. I don't see why you must do what you do. Maybe you get a kick out of it? Maybe you think it is funny? Maybe you just like to hear yourself talk? I don't know, but I do know, that you are clearly not helpful. Maybe you should start your own shirt derby site, in which you can get all the "quality" entries that you want. You would be the master of your own universe and get to say all the mean things you wish and leave the rest of us in peace.

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
toochaos wrote:I like the design, though might i suggest makeing her a little bit either lighter or darker for a strong contrast with the eyes cause those are cool

Thanks for the kind words, I use the Pantone Solid coated book. The colors tend to be a little limited to me, I just didn't know if we could use any of the other color books. If anyone can tell me what pantones they use it would be a great help. thanks to all who take the time to vote but especialy the ones that leave comennts each one helps. Even the negative as long as it's respectful, treat others as you would like to be treated.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

knepute

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knepute
Re: Murder Mystery

I know that people have discussed this before on Woot, but, I suppose the spirit of the derby and what not, I just had to comment.

Dear Adder,

I am not quite sure what kind of stick is up your behind, but you are quite rude, which is completely uncalled for. It is one thing to give constructive criticism on someone's work, but an entirely different thing to be plain rude. And you are just plain rude. I am not sure why either. You have never had an entry so it isn't like anyone has ever commented poorly to you. I don't see why you must do what you do. Maybe you get a kick out of it? Maybe you think it is funny? Maybe you just like to hear yourself talk? I don't know, but I do know, that you are clearly not helpful. Maybe you should start your own shirt derby site, in which you can get all the "quality" entries that you want. You would be the master of your own universe and get to say all the mean things you wish and leave the rest of us in peace.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: That's Impossible!

I have to admit, this one made me laugh a little. I remember the first time I ever saw that trick as a little kid.. I was amazed.. lol.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
knepute wrote:I know that people have discussed this before on Woot, but, I suppose the spirit of the derby and what not, I just had to comment.

Dear Adder,

I am not quite sure what kind of stick is up your behind, but you are quite rude, which is completely uncalled for. It is one thing to give constructive criticism on someone's work, but an entirely different thing to be plain rude. And you are just plain rude. I am not sure why either You have ever had an entry so it isn't like anyone has ever commented poorly to you. I don't see why you must do what you do. Maybe you get a kick out of it? Maybe you think it is funny? Maybe you just like to hear yourself talk? I don't know, but I do know, that you are clearly not helpful. Maybe you should start your own shirt derby site, in which you can get all the "quality" entries that you want. You would be the master of your own universe and get to say all the mean things you wish and leave the rest of us in peace.

There is nothing constructive to note about this piece. It is ugly.

Please look at the colors, "expertly" halftoned into a gaudy multicolored swirl that will look more like a smudge upon printing. The figures, deformed and over-smoothed enough that the "creator" is no mystery. The lack of mystery outside of the title (the mystery is laid out, wouldn't you say?), and the inclusion of elements that normally would not make it past the woot censors. The waaay too slim center placement that will look horrible on an actual human. The sheer clutter of the design. What am I supposed to say to improve it, besides "scrap it"? Yet with all these flaws, it is so strong in the hotness. Why? I could tell you, but that would ruin the mystery. It is ALL about who created it, and this is proof. Without a name on the entry, and with a "different" style than normal, the exact same patterns as always have arisen. That, to me, is proof positive that the user is getting juiced, and that should not be supported.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: Daddy?

Very funny.

bro3of4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
neonix wrote:It's definitely white and not the same color as the shirt.

Err, no. Put something white next to it and you will see it's definitely not white. It's not clear whether or not it is actually the shirt color, but since it is off-white, I'll go with "yes".

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.