JJJSchmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJJSchmidt
sittle wrote:I see what your getting at, but I think the hunter on the shirt is fairly generic and the resemblance is more coincidental...

For as many similarities one could point out there are as many differences...

Did you see the movie? If you watched the movie, you would see what I mean. This person nailed that persona perfectly. I mean, they could have snagged it from a screencap!

redesnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redesnot
ISO30 wrote:Agreed. Very nice work, but the only mystery for me here is the finger at the top. Maybe it's just after the fall and it's a scolding finger...?

i think ive proven theres no mystery:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32731

cabbit56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbit56
Re: Upon Closer Inspection...

very cute! hope this wins~

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Murder Mystery

I got to wondering about the fine detail in the shirtcomp for this design, so I tried to recreate it. I opened a 16x20 300 dpi blank design, and pasted the image of the design into it. I then shrank the higher resolution detail picture provided in the shirt comp to the size of the 16x20 design. I drew a couple of cyan lines of 1 point diameter across the design, and made this image of the result. It looks to me like there are a variety of design elements that are much smaller than woot's 1 point minimum width limit. There are also a lot of lines that just fade away, as if they aren't vector elements at all. I suppose that they are gradients? I also see places where there are halftones that overlap, causing the minimum width of the covered halftone dot to be narrower than the 1 point limit. Overall, I see a lot in just this small piece of the overall design that looks to me as if it is in woot's 'unprintable' range.
I don't think I made errors in how I did this, but I'd like to hear in what way I'm completely wrong, etc. I'm still trying to learn this design stuff, myself, and I may be mistaken.

cabbit56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbit56
Re: I think it's the rabbit

that's just ketchup dripping from the lion's mouth

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
JadenKale wrote:That's Chase NoFace

Oh goodness...what a heart-wrenching story.
That poor cat...but I'm glad he has someone to love him so much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

simpa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpa
melanion90 wrote:umm... what? No idea what this is, explanation please?

that's the mystery of it.

bdl2smf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdl2smf
godslinger wrote:It's not a mystery (off topic) and it's obviously Mario.

The mystery is where the pipe leads? You never knew in the game until you jumped in...

redesnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redesnot
BergurG wrote:Personally I don't like the style. The Yeti's are great but it's summer time and by then they are probably hibernating or something.

Second point, Yeti's can't be cute in a small way without looking ridiculous, I would have gone for a more gentle giant approach a la "A Goofy Movie" (although they did BigFoot).

Third point, the mountains look like a last minute addition tacked on without second thought and completely contrast the "cute yeti" look.

It's not a bad creation but I just don't get why it gets +333 votes during the summer time.

agreed. not taking anything away from this or any other design, but there are plenty of good ideas below with superior execution that never seem to make it. i guess most wooters like it cute.

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: An Unfolding Mystery

They really should have fixed hovering over the name reveals (*** is better than everyone else)

Congrats on yet another print in advance, juggernaut :P

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
sonotthereason wrote:soooo...now that it's been rejected, could the mystery artist let everyone know what all the pictures were representing...

Please?

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

scumit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scumit

I think it looks way too muc hlike the gopher from Lady and the Tramp, too.

simpa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpa
papabo wrote:rejected because: I don't get it.

Hmm really? It's a heart... and a hand.

yeah, I dont get it either. ?

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
JJJSchmidt wrote:Did you see the movie? If you watched the movie, you would see what I mean. This person nailed that persona perfectly. I mean, they could have snagged it from a screencap!

Not really. The design is much more a generic slack jawed yokel hunter than anything. The khaki pants/flannel shirt/orange vest is iconic and far far far precedes Open Season. That and the two don't have any facial similarity whatsoever.

It would be the same as saying every bigfoot design should be rejected for copying Harry and the Hendersons. Ridiculous.

cobolisdead

Re: mystery and adventure are the things i crave most

Not really digging this nor seeing the Mystery part of it. More Adventure than Mystery, IMO.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

mandadenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mandadenn
Re: The Mystery of Life

I love, Love, LOVE this shirt. These are the sorts of designs that make me wish desperately they sold shirts that reached even a minimum vote of something or other.

Best of Luck!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Mystery Loves Company

Gray does not print well on black.

scumit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scumit

I hope you climb up there, I'd really like to own one of these. :]

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant
Re: i wear my sunglasses at night...

he he he..."don't switch the blade on a guy in shades, oh no!" nice.

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
cobolisdead wrote:Not really digging this nor seeing the Mystery part of it. More Adventure than Mystery, IMO.

The mystery is right there under the skull, see? He's looking right at it...

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
Re: Cats With Weapons

Oh, what I would give to have a creme shirt with a kitty Colonel Mustard.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

JJJSchmidt

mrwednesday wrote:Not really. The design is much more a generic slack jawed yokel hunter than anything. The khaki pants/flannel shirt/orange vest is iconic and far far far precedes Open Season. That and the two don't have any facial similarity whatsoever.

It would be the same as saying every bigfoot design should be rejected for copying Harry and the Hendersons. Ridiculous.

Um, I have to respectfully disagree and question your logic. Ths facial features are very similar I bet if a found a open season coloring book, that is exactly what you would find. The image included isn't the best example if you saw the movie, or grabbed on of those chocolatey movie books, the image is so close.
Plus, I must ask, do you have any artistic sense? The hunter is not of a similar style at all, except for color choices. He should be far more cartoony as well in order to keep proper rhythm. I think that is what threw me off the most. He is of a totally different style from the rest.
I am not advocating reject perse. But people should take back their votes do to replication. This is so chocolatey to mimic something that doesn't need mimicked. The bunnies and concept is great, but the hunter was phoned in... That is all I am getting at!

StewieGilligan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StewieGilligan
Re: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Whoa man, you really have given up.
Pull yourself together!!!

StewieGilligan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StewieGilligan
Re: Where-To?

Where to?

Rejectionville, population YOU.

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
JJJSchmidt wrote:Um, I have to respectfully disagree and question your logic. Ths facial features are very similar I bet if a found a open season coloring book, that is exactly what you would find. The image included isn't the best example if you saw the movie, or grabbed on of those chocolatey movie books, the image is so close.
Plus, I must ask, do you have any artistic sense? The hunter is not of a similar style at all, except for color choices. He should be far more cartoony as well in order to keep proper rhythm. I think that is what threw me off the most. He is of a totally different style from the rest.
I am not advocating reject perse. But people should take back their votes do to replication. This is so chocolatey to mimic something that doesn't need mimicked. The bunnies and concept is great, but the hunter was phoned in... That is all I am getting at!

The hunter from Open Season is a very generic character design.... Vest? Gun? Boots? Bad facial hair.... Check Check Check Check and wait a second, the illustration hunter has a hat.. Hmmm... Let's look closer at this

Looks like your hunter has a puffy vest, the illustrated hunter does not... The hunter from Open season appears to be svelt and in shape, but the shirt hunter is obviously overweight and lumpy.. Open season hunter has a mullet and a 5 o'clock shadow, the illustrated hunter does not... Gun scope on open season, no scope on the illustrated hunters gun..

A lot of differences, JJJ.... The hunters style totally matches with the rest of the shirt design, did you look at the line weight?

Who the heck (besides you) ever watched Open Season on purpose anyway??

It sounds like you have some reason for jealousy or perhaps a vendetta against this style of illustration..... seems like an knee jerk reaction to say that people should retract their votes because the illustration of the hunter is "phoned in"...

I think your logic is the only thing needs questioning... Good day sir..

ericleekent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericleekent
Josephus wrote:
I got to wondering about the fine detail in the shirtcomp for this design, so I tried to recreate it. I opened a 16x20 300 dpi blank design, and pasted the image of the design into it. I then shrank the higher resolution detail picture provided in the shirt comp to the size of the 16x20 design. I drew a couple of cyan lines of 1 point diameter across the design, and made this image of the result. It looks to me like there are a variety of design elements that are much smaller than woot's 1 point minimum width limit. There are also a lot of lines that just fade away, as if they aren't vector elements at all. I suppose that they are gradients? I also see places where there are halftones that overlap, causing the minimum width of the covered halftone dot to be narrower than the 1 point limit. Overall, I see a lot in just this small piece of the overall design that looks to me as if it is in woot's 'unprintable' range.
I don't think I made errors in how I did this, but I'd like to hear in what way I'm completely wrong, etc. I'm still trying to learn this design stuff, myself, and I may be mistaken.

Taking apart his composition .jpg doesn't make sense at all, because it's not the file he submitted to be printed.

It's like you're taking apart a blurry photograph of bigfoot pixel by pixel to determine if bigfoot can exist.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
eHalcyon wrote:Ooh, very different from your usual work. The whole image appears to be a face. Intentional?

hey, usual work, where's the mystery? D'oh.

Vote!

donnaluvswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donnaluvswoot
catz07b wrote:OhEmGee I LOVE IT!!! what an obscure movie reference :-p but its one of my fav. Stallone movies!! That ALWAYS bothered me.. how DO you use them!??!

This is truly excellent!! If it doesn't win, it is because the masses didn't see this movie. Good luck and have a peach day! Be well!

JJJSchmidt

sittle wrote:The hunter from Open Season is a very generic character design.... Vest? Gun? Boots? Bad facial hair.... Check Check Check Check and wait a second, the illustration hunter has a hat.. Hmmm... Let's look closer at this

Looks like your hunter has a puffy vest, the illustrated hunter does not... The hunter from Open season appears to be svelt and in shape, but the shirt hunter is obviously overweight and lumpy.. Open season hunter has a mullet and a 5 o'clock shadow, the illustrated hunter does not... Gun scope on open season, no scope on the illustrated hunters gun..

A lot of differences, JJJ.... The hunters style totally matches with the rest of the shirt design, did you look at the line weight?

Who the heck (besides you) ever watched Open Season on purpose anyway??

It sounds like you have some reason for jealousy or perhaps a vendetta against this style of illustration..... seems like an knee jerk reaction to say that people should retract their votes because the illustration of the hunter is "phoned in"...

I think your logic is the only thing needs questioning... Good day sir..

LIKE I SAID, the attached image isn't the best portrayal of THAT hunter. In the movie, he IS NOT svelt, he DOES wear a cap, etc.
Um, as far as insulting the movie, it's kinda ironic that you would defend this generic image and insult a generic movie. That's like saying my chocolatey silk dragon shirt is better than your chocolatey silk drgaon shirt... On another similarity note; one of the main resolutions in the movie IS about sasquatch!

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
scumit wrote:I think it looks way too muc hlike the gopher from Lady and the Tramp, too.

C'mon it's a beaver... Not gopher. Geeez!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

@xtina - thanks
@snappystrappy - Yup.. many girls confuse themselves as well!
@einna - I have wondered if liking the same gender would make it easier figuring out your partner, but I guess based on you, if you are both female, then you just are confused by both yourself AND your partner, ha ha. Sorry!

MadamAtom wrote:I'm giggling at the positioning of the tab on the guy's lowest puzzle piece. Was that intentional?

HA. I knew someone would take it like that when I looked at it again... it would have been worse if I had positioned the tab downward! Not intentional, but if it gives you a kick to see it as such, feel free!;)

Vote!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ericleekent wrote:Taking apart his composition .jpg doesn't make sense at all, because it's not the file he submitted to be printed.

It's like you're taking apart a blurry photograph of bigfoot pixel by pixel to determine if bigfoot can exist.

But the detail that CAN be seen has to fit. And, on the image, he has posted a higher resolution portion of the design, which is what I looked at, not the low resolution portion,; that part I only used to get the size right.
The lines are clearly narrower than 1 point, the dots are certainly smaller than 1 point. Furthermore, a line that is shown blurrier than the print file is going to be a larger diameter than the sharp version would be if anything. They look smaller here, which means that any visible blurriness makes the original even smaller than they show here.

If he's posting an image that isn't the same as his print file in the visible detail, then he's not showing the voters what they're going to get. At the resolution shown, it HAS to look the same as the final shirt print file will look. If it isn't then everyone is voting on a lie. I'm sure that the print file is essentially the same as the file made to produce his jpgs, he's not one who would mislead like that.

Oh, and there's really no mystery about bigfoot. The guys who took the famous photo have confessed that they faked it. I think the guy even still had the suit he wore in the photo. sorry.

and the famous photo of the Loch Ness monster? Also confessed to by the little penguins who created it as a fake. sorry again.

k3no

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k3no
mjc613 wrote:Gray does not print well on black.

Thanks mjc613, I have a couple of T's with this very similar grey on black that I really like and printed out fine.

Candihanks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Candihanks
Re: Murder Mystery

Also has text, the "smoke" is a question mark!!!

ericleekent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericleekent
Josephus wrote:But the detail that CAN be seen has to fit. And, on the image, he has posted a higher resolution portion of the design, which is what I looked at, not the low resolution portion,; that part I only used to get the size right.
The lines are clearly narrower than 1 point, the dots are certainly smaller than 1 point. Furthermore, a line that is shown blurrier than the print file is going to be a larger diameter than the sharp version would be if anything. They look smaller here, which means that any visible blurriness makes the original even smaller than they show here.

If he's posting an image that isn't the same as his print file in the visible detail, then he's not showing the voters what they're going to get. At the resolution shown, it HAS to look the same as the final shirt print file will look. If it isn't then everyone is voting on a lie. I'm sure that the print file is essentially the same as the file made to produce his jpgs, he's not one who would mislead like that.

Even if he posted a higher resolution version, it's still never going to be the same as his vector file that will be printed. You can zoom in an infinite number of times on a line in the vector file and the edges will still be sharp. Not so in any resolution jpg. When an image is converted to a jpg, information is lost. That's the whole purpose of converting it to a jpg - to save file space. So if some lines and dots seem smaller than 1point, it's probably because the conversion from vector to jpg decided to discard that information. This isn't defending the shirt - just helping to clarify a point of confusion. If woot posted the vector files for everyone to see, it would put a lot more strain on their bandwidth and each page would load a lot slower.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: WT...

great characters!

g8skey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g8skey
skirochester wrote:well it definitely was smaller than a 20 pix brush. good to know for the future.

20 pix seems excessively thick. I've seen a lot of everything with lines seemingly thinner than that. :-\

mobiusrit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mobiusrit
godslinger wrote:These aren't crop circles. (I wouldn't think they are unless you said so.) These are regular swirly circles with no mystery. Sorry, off topic.

I thought crop circles the instant I saw the thumbnail. So, on topic, imo.

cobolisdead

xxchange wrote:Oh, what I would give to have a creme shirt with a kitty Colonel Mustard.

I'd give $10 for one.

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant
Re: i wear white sunglasses at night...

if anyone thinks their mysteriousness would be better preserved through a different shade of shades, suggest away...

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...