+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If obscure band t-shirts are a universal badge of cool, what about t-shirts for bands that don't even exist? This week, conjure up some merch for an imaginary band, or solo artist, or a tour of multiple bands, or music festival, etc. Any style, any era (like our old Genghis Khan tour shirt), any place (including other planets or dimensions). To be clear: we're looking for fake bands you made up, not fake bands from movies or TV shows. As always, the prohibition on using the intellectual property of other people remains in full effect.

It's your responsibility to make sure your "fake band" doesn't already exist. Search the artists at Allmusic and Myspace Music. If it comes up clear in both, it's probably OK unless we see evidence to the contrary.

Text is permitted.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Hahah, this should be awesome. I'm doing the Treeclimbing Penguin Swirlies.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

Excellent! Wyld Stallyons rule!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

The PICA REPUBLIC Experience!

Just kidding.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

So it is safe to say if the band has any proof of existance online, then it is rejection city!? This could be tuff...

TedTheodoreLogan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TedTheodoreLogan
Icemank91 wrote:

Triumphant!

Bill's mom is hot!!!

benjaminleebates

Icemank91 wrote:

rejection!

BillSPrestonEsq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BillSPrestonEsq
Icemank91 wrote:

Non-Heinous!

Shut up, Ted!

BillSPrestonEsq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BillSPrestonEsq
benjaminleebates wrote:rejection!

Bogus!

Shut up, Ted!

Icemank91

I am going to flunk this derby most heinously!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I'm smellin' some serious Zombie action this week!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tgentry wrote:Hahah, this should be awesome. I'm doing the Treeclimbing Penguin Swirlies.

I got the Panderin' Penguins!

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

I should be able to hit one out of the ball park with this theme... but alas.... I shall best. thing. ever. as always.

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

Looking forward to this one. Touring With The Big G is a great shirt. Hopefully, we'll see some quality shirts like that one in this derby.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Josephus wrote:I got the Panderin' Penguins!

If ever a derby called for a temporary banning list, this was the one. There will be literally a dozen or more rocking penguin shirts.

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

I sense an onslaught of black t-shirts coming our way.

Icemank91

Would a swin-e flu world tour t shirt be considered distasteful?

Or black plague/bubonic plague.

benjaminleebates

Icemank91 wrote:Would a swin-e flu world tour t shirt be considered distasteful?

Saul Good! saul good...

trekmiss

Icemank91 wrote:Would a swin-e flu world tour t shirt be considered distasteful?

Probably not anymore distasteful than a girl blowing a guy's brains out.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
trekmiss wrote:Probably not anymore distasteful than a girl blowing a guy's brains out.

He's not the designer of that, though, so he'll get rejected.

SWIN.E HAVE BEADY RAISIN EYES AND SHINY SHINY SKIN

cwarrington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarrington

Volunteer Moderator

Oh my this could be 'great'!

Anyone looking for name ideas... Head here:
http://www.bandnamemaker.com/

benjaminleebates

What is that max number of submission per person?

g8skey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g8skey
trekmiss wrote:Probably not anymore distasteful than a girl blowing a guy's brains out.

Ba Zing!

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

I made up this fake album cover for a fake band a while ago. If I re-did this a little better and for a t-shirt format would people go for it? Its either this...or perhaps Ben and the Franklins, ha ha. Still thinking though.

Icemank91

AdderXYU wrote:He's not the designer of that, though, so he'll get rejected.

SWIN.E HAVE BEADY RAISIN EYES AND SHINY SHINY SKIN

Hah, well to play it safe, I'm gonna go with the bubonic plague, with special guest Verminfoot.

trekmiss

AdderXYU wrote:He's not the designer of that, though, so he'll get rejected.

Surely woot wouldn't have a double standard!

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes

this is gonna be weird.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead

Dibs on Drunken Monkey!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

benjaminleebates

Quick question, I'm trying to figure out how to resize the image in my sig. It's friggin huge!
I don't see the instructions in the formatting guide... help. please.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

Somebody please use the word 'banshee.'

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

I want to see someone do-
My Pet Adder

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
truffleshuffle wrote:I made up this fake album cover for a fake band a while ago. If I re-did this a little better and for a t-shirt format would people go for it? Its either this...or perhaps Ben and the Franklins, ha ha. Still thinking though.

Maybe if you make it prettier. Soften the lines, maybe make the colors a bit more subdued, get rid of the harshness.

Maybe... just make it more girly!

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

This should be fun. So, I assume we can make light-hearted fun of other designers?

I can see a band called The Dead Kenneys, with a bunch of zombie puckers...

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
benjaminleebates wrote:What is that max number of submission per person?

There is no maximum on subs. Just remember that, the more subs you make, the less time you have to make each one. With a time crunch like the derby, it's usually most prudent to stick to one or two, simply for quality control. I've very rarely seen entrants with 4 or more where quality didn't suffer throughout

benjaminleebates

AdderXYU wrote:There is no maximum on subs. Just remember that, the more subs you make, the less time you have to make each one. With a time crunch like the derby, it's usually most prudent to stick to one or two, simply for quality control. I've very rarely seen entrants with 4 or more where quality didn't suffer throughout

Thanks, normally I couldn't agree more...
But in spirit of this weeks derby, crappy band t's; is what it is all about! LOL

benjaminleebates

Okay, we can't use bands that already exist in some format (fake or real), but can you use song titles as band names?
I'm thinking, like, shiny happy people...

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:I will bequeath the idea to you. I have no real desire to enter this

WAIT. Uh, hold on there. Um. You stole it and no take-backsies. It's your idea now, I'm out, ohhhhh well. Too bad, so sad!

*whispers* ((I can't actually do it, since I only know how to pen-and-paper draw, not pc-draw. Plus, I'd need more than a couple of days to do it. I don't know how these people do all this in 24 hours--it's humbling.))

achariam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages achariam

I don't quite understand the movie and tv shows part. Does that mean you cannot reference any movies or tv shows in the design even if it does not contain a real band? Wow I just confused myself with that question.

View my work.Read my notes. You should follow me on twitter here.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
achariam wrote:I don't quite understand the movie and tv shows part. Does that mean you cannot reference any movies or tv shows in the design even if it does not contain a real band? Wow I just confused myself with that question.

You can't use a fake band from a TV show. For example, in the movie PCU, there is a band named "Everyone Gets Laid". While it is indeed a fake band name, you can;t use it, because it was already used in a movie.

Thaleia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thaleia

Or black plague/bubonic plague.

seen that
http://www.northernsun.com/n/s/Black%20Death%20European%20Tour%20T-Shirt%20%281618%29.html