mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
homeschoolwinner wrote:Thank you! I am very happy to hear that.

It's pretty obvious, though, that it won't print...breaks my heart! But if I got this printed elsewhere, maybe spreadshirt, would anyone be interested?


I would.

sumthingsilver


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sumthingsilver

I love it! I have 3 friends that are English teachers... I'd buy them each one!

Re: The Suffixeses


bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Infinite Pi



YAY FOGGED! I like this shirt alot, and will buy it if it prints!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
HeartlineTwist wrote:DF had a Rain Dancer shirt in that same derby...didn't print, though (I don't think...)



No, but it did get an HM.

billedluh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages billedluh
neonix wrote:This is a really fun looking design. I like the simple chalk/cutout method you used and the colors mix very well together.



Thanks : ) The texture on the edges took forever but once I started I couldn't go back.

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Infinite Pi



The nerd force is strong with this one.

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
eHalcyon wrote:The difference is that this design actually has substance (intentional or not) outside of being a woot reference. Even if DF hadn't submitted his earlier panda entry, this one would still make sense. With the linked and past examples, anyone not aware of Woot would just go "huh?"



QFT. Further, I really like what someone said about this being akin to Ramy's bunnies. It really is a good parallel. And, while plenty of people hate the bunnies and want them to burn in hell, nobody is suggesting that they deserve to be rejected. Just because one of DF's past shirts with his stereotypical characters was rejected doesn't mean all future ones must be. Keep in mind, the shirt that was rejected was rejected for the reason that you could find similar shirts elsewhere, and easily. That's obviously not grounds for rejection in this case, as this is an original concept. I might also add that this shirt is a hell of a lot funnier (to any random person, not just a shirt.woot regular) than some of the other entries this week. Cowbells are so overdone it makes my brain hurt.

imsochady


quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
byrbwr wrote:these chicks are hot. more cleavage perhaps?



watching the havoc...

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
leonryan wrote:i'm a bit scared to re-sub it so late in the game, but if i'm lucky enough to get back in the fog by the time it ends i'll be asking that i can resend the file with that ammended. you can see the fixed version at the link somewhere in my comments above.



There should be no problem with the slightly modified file. Good luck to you!

gumberculees


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gumberculees
Stormink wrote:Agreed.

In fact...

I'd argue that someone who creates illustrations/designs and doesn't strive to learn and better themselves cannot be considered an artist.



thats a little dangerous. i would take it a step back and say that an artist who doesn not listen to criticism is not worthy of respect

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Re: the balalaika players



Men Sick of Russia (Mushchini = men, Kinshchini = finished, iz = with, Russii = Russia: Men Who Are Finished With Russia)? I am Ukie, not Russe, so probably my translation is off, but... what?!

imsochady


quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
nbouscal wrote: I might also add that this shirt is a hell of a lot funnier (to any random person, not just a shirt.woot regular) than some of the other entries this week...



I disagree. Any random person would not get this shirt. Just with the sub-text, "Give The People What They Want." What does that even mean out of context/shirt.woot world? It doesn't quite go with the 3 pandas playing nor with the headline "Pander Bears." This is an inside shirt.woot joke entry guys! Even DF said he "couldn't bring myself to do a serious entry." If you plan on buying this, just imagine first how you are gonna explain to people what's going on here. But I bet it's gonna conclude with that random person saying, "Ah, so it's an inside joke kinda thing."

ensmind


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ensmind
mitchellp wrote:The nerd force is strong with this one.



... I'm peeing in my pants that was so funny... Great Line... u should use that one a T-Shirt...
I'm still tearing that was so funny...

Thanks...

cevans10


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cevans10
Ommog wrote:Are you kidding? This shirt is an obvious reference to all the drama from the quotations derby. The design, the style, the name... the pandas are pretty much exactly the same as his previous shirt! If you think that's okay, then why did the shirt I linked to earlier (http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32580) get rejected? It had as much in common with Woot as this shirt does, and that was enough to get the former tossed out of the derby. All I'm saying is that maybe the rules should be clear and consistent... but what do I know?



The shirt you linked to does not have the same design, style, or name as a previous shirt, as you claim this shirt does, and DF's shirt does not make a blatant reference to Woot artists, as the shirt you linked to does. In fact, this shirt makes no Woot reference at all. Your rejection logic makes no sense, unless referencing something that was discussed on a Woot thread is grounds for rejection. Now wouldn't that be something?

"Rabbits, dinky looking peanut butter jars, the color asphalt!"

Boom, there goes a dozen shirts right there!

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
ensmind wrote:... I'm peeing in my pants that was so funny... Great Line... u should use that one a T-Shirt...
I'm still tearing that was so funny...

Thanks...



Hmmm... Not a bad idea. So by request, here you go. And you don't even have to make a purchase to vote for it! Thanks!

dpbowl842


quality posts: 10 Private Messages dpbowl842
homeschoolwinner wrote:"Rejected because: Celebrity likenesses. Also, extremly poor taste."

Yeah...I think it's really disrespectful to try to make quick buck off someone's death. Or, in this case, four people's death.



As everyone that understood has already pointed out this was a tribute, not a mockery. There was no ill will intended, there was no blood or zombie faces, no inappropriate poses. In fact 3 of the 4 are smiling and the main character was in a pose doing what he did best, entertaining.

Also if you could please as I am curious and spent a good 10 minutes looking, point me in the direction of the rule stating that celebrity likenesses are against the rules?

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Captain Salt



Excellent work!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
imsochady wrote:I disagree. Any random person would not get this shirt. Just with the sub-text, "Give The People What They Want." What does that even mean out of context/shirt.woot world? It doesn't quite go with the 3 pandas playing nor with the headline "Pander Bears." This is an inside shirt.woot joke entry guys! Even DF said he "couldn't bring myself to do a serious entry." If you plan on buying this, just imagine first how you are gonna explain to people what's going on here. But I bet it's gonna conclude with that random person saying, "Ah, so it's an inside joke kinda thing."



It comes down to people voting for a shirt because it mocks bands who are only in it for the money. Even though the user created the shirt only because it would bring him money.

Hypocrisy at its apex.

Obligatorious


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Obligatorious
Re: The Sex Drugs



Sweet! I'm so glad this is in the fog! It better stay there so that I may make purchases.

Really cool design and great name. Definitely buying this.

estaff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages estaff
spanishmel wrote:Since this isn't picking up many votes, go ahead and tell me why you don't like this design? Is it too much?



I am new to the woot shirt community so I am also curious why this hasn't picked up that many votes compared to some of the shirts that have 100/200 some votes that frankly are not that good. I just hope your spirits and professional pride aren't hurt. I would agree with you that Summer would have something to do with it and possibly the shirt color choice. It seems all of the earlier submissions have just been sitting at the top the whole week. Keep it up, hopefully you'll get a nod with a honorable mention!

sylph01


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sylph01
Re: the balalaika players



There are bazillions and bazillions of bands and orchestras named "Balalaika."

Obligatorious


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Obligatorious
Re: The Sex Drugs



Dammit. Of course it got displaced as soon as I post. Sorry if I hexed it.

Keep voting!

Ommog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ommog
nbouscal wrote:QFT. Further, I really like what someone said about this being akin to Ramy's bunnies. It really is a good parallel. And, while plenty of people hate the bunnies and want them to burn in hell, nobody is suggesting that they deserve to be rejected. Just because one of DF's past shirts with his stereotypical characters was rejected doesn't mean all future ones must be. Keep in mind, the shirt that was rejected was rejected for the reason that you could find similar shirts elsewhere, and easily. That's obviously not grounds for rejection in this case, as this is an original concept. I might also add that this shirt is a hell of a lot funnier (to any random person, not just a shirt.woot regular) than some of the other entries this week. Cowbells are so overdone it makes my brain hurt.



You can't just compare it to Ramyb's bunnies like that; it's not that simple. It's more like if Ramyb made a design with his bunnies but somehow also conveyed a message saying "Hey guys! I'm Ramyb and I draw bunnies on shirt.woot and people on there either love or hate them... there was a lot of arguing about them, so I decided to make a joke entry with them!" The Pandas themselves are acceptable as some sort of mascot or theme or something for DeadFrog, but the message of this shirt is an inside joke.

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
AdderXYU wrote:It comes down to people voting for a shirt because it mocks bands who are only in it for the money. Even though the user created the shirt only because it would bring him money.

Hypocrisy at its apex.



I'm pretty sure DF said or heavily implied that this flat out wouldn't make it to print...why do we have to argue this into the ground?

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
striker138 wrote:Great idea! Love the shirt.



Thanks!

Ommog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ommog
cevans10 wrote:The shirt you linked to does not have the same design, style, or name as a previous shirt, as you claim this shirt does, and DF's shirt does not make a blatant reference to Woot artists, as the shirt you linked to does. In fact, this shirt makes no Woot reference at all. Your rejection logic makes no sense, unless referencing something that was discussed on a Woot thread is grounds for rejection. Now wouldn't that be something?

"Rabbits, dinky looking peanut butter jars, the color asphalt!"

Boom, there goes a dozen shirts right there!



I'm not arguing about the pandas. The pandas are fine; I honestly really don't care for them, and I think that it's a shame that an artist with such talent doesn't put it to better use, but I think it's fine if he wants to keep using them. What I'm arguing is the message of the shirt: "Pander Bears" ... "Give the people what they want" ... the fact that the artist SAID it was a joke entry! There's no way you can say that it's NOT a direct reference to happens behind the scenes and Woot, and I honestly it's just as guilty as the shirt I mentioned earlier. Both are directly referencing the Woot community, and that has been a good enough reason for rejection in the past.

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
imsochady wrote:I disagree. Any random person would not get this shirt. Just with the sub-text, "Give The People What They Want." What does that even mean out of context/shirt.woot world? It doesn't quite go with the 3 pandas playing nor with the headline "Pander Bears." This is an inside shirt.woot joke entry guys! Even DF said he "couldn't bring myself to do a serious entry." If you plan on buying this, just imagine first how you are gonna explain to people what's going on here. But I bet it's gonna conclude with that random person saying, "Ah, so it's an inside joke kinda thing."



So, just out of curiosity, do you know the meaning of the word pander? I'm specifically confused by your lack of understanding of what the subtext means outside of shirt.woot context. The subtext is practically the definition of the word pander in its modern usage. While the word heralds from a baser origin, the easiest way to express the current connotation is, quite simply, the phrase in the subtext of this shirt.

As such, the three portions of the shirt that you say "don't quite go [together]" are all interlinked in a way that is downright obvious to the casual observer. Pander is a simple play on words, hence the pandas, and the subtext merely enunciates the theme in more specific terms.

The only thing that makes it a self-reference is that these pandering pandas are clearly self-deprecating on behalf of the artist; however, that meaning is secondary to the one that your "random person" would quickly pick up on: current mainstream musicians "pander" to the crowds by selling catchy music that, while completely lacking in any form of musical integrity, is what the people want.

So, while the shirt is an inside joke, it manages to be simultaneously meaningful to anyone with a large enough vocabulary. Because of this, there are really no grounds for rejection.

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
AdderXYU wrote:
Hypocrisy at its apex.



Hypocrisy and self-deprecation for humor's sake are similar, but different. DF is well aware of the difference, as he has clearly indicated that this shirt is a jab at himself. However, (and this also goes to all of you who are saying it should be rejected because the artist said it was a joke entry), just because it's self-deprecating doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile and humorous shirt. Many times something the artist intended as a joke turns out to be that artist's best work.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
dpbowl842 wrote:As everyone that understood has already pointed out this was a tribute, not a mockery. There was no ill will intended, there was no blood or zombie faces, no inappropriate poses. In fact 3 of the 4 are smiling and the main character was in a pose doing what he did best, entertaining.

Also if you could please as I am curious and spent a good 10 minutes looking, point me in the direction of the rule stating that celebrity likenesses are against the rules?



I wasn't commenting on whether it was a tribute or a mockery. I personally would just feel really bad making any kind of profit off someone's demise...and if this printed that's what would be made, a profit. I'm not assigning motives. Not to mention there will always be someone that perceives this as a mockery (THE JUNE 09ERS!...sorry but even the name can come across as making light of their death). I just wouldn't take the chance because there is always someone that will find this in bad taste and offensive and disrespectful to their families.

As far as the celebrity likeness, I wasn't commenting on that, although it's been known that any likeness will be rejected, and this probably would fall under this part of the Terms and Conditions found on the submission page:

13. Artist Representations. Artist represents and warrants that he/she has the right to enter into this Agreement, that the Artwork is original and has not been previously used commercially, and shall not infringe upon or violate any copyright, or any other personal or proprietary right of any kind of any third party. Artist indemnifies Woot, its officers, directors, employees, successors and assigns, against any and all losses, expenses (including attorney’s reasonable fees), or damages arising out of any breach of Artist’s warranties, representations, and obligations hereunder. This paragraph shall survive the expiration or termination of this Agreement for any reason.



Perhaps I'm a little overly sensitive. A very young friend of mine died in an accident Sunday, and I know that if his family and friends knew someone was trying to sell t-shirts with his picture on it, even if it was as a "tribute", it would be found offensive and distasteful and even hurtful to them. So I would imagine there will be people, myself included, that find this to be in poor taste. You can't deny that.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything and I hope this doesn't come across as such. I just want to explain why I find this to be distasteful.


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
KIDA26 wrote:I don't find the cowbell thing funny anymore... can we get something more original in the top 4?



Agreed. Don't get me wrong, Gargrazz, the design is wonderfully executed and I would normally vote for it on those grounds alone. But honestly, the cowbell thing is getting extremely old. You can buy any number of cowbell-related shirts on any number of other websites. One of the main reasons I (and many other people I know) love shirt.woot is the originality of the prints, and frankly, this is just overdone.

schw9411


quality posts: 8 Private Messages schw9411
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32839]



So, I love how DF is able to do exactly what art should- stimulate conversation. Even if it is conversation saying how it's not art, meh. I love the shirt, love the woot joke, love the non-woot pop culture critique, and I will be so sad if I can't purchase this shirt.

kmjturtle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmjturtle
re: the suffixeses



I LOVE this shirt! This is a great shirt design- very creative and colorful! I am a high school English teacher and would definitely buy one of these and wear it.

Stuntdummy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuntdummy
Re: The Sex Drugs



Do you see this people? This is classic. This is smart. This is not off-theme pikachu bunnies.

Hopin' this makes fog.

RobotDCLXVI


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobotDCLXVI
Re: Deadly Shades of Autumn Secrets



How in the hell can you be off topic in a made up band t-shirt derby? Can't help you with the no shirt comp though.

Stuntdummy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuntdummy
Stuntdummy wrote:Do you see this people? This is classic. This is smart. This is not off-theme pikachu bunnies.

Hopin' this makes fog.



Ha! As I was writing this, it wasn't fogged, but once I submitted, it was! Beautiful. Hang in there!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
nbouscal wrote:QFT. Further, I really like what someone said about this being akin to Ramy's bunnies. It really is a good parallel. And, while plenty of people hate the bunnies and want them to burn in hell, nobody is suggesting that they deserve to be rejected. Just because one of DF's past shirts with his stereotypical characters was rejected doesn't mean all future ones must be.



You're missing the point and comparing this shirt to the bunnies shirt is completely horrible. Ramy's shirt has no grounds for rejection. It's a bad shirt, but that's all. This shirt should be rejected because it is a woot reference; not because other shirts exist like it. People hate Ramy's shirt because it embrangles. People are saying this shirt should get rejected because it falls under woot reference. See the difference?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
nbouscal wrote:Hypocrisy and self-deprecation for humor's sake are similar, but different. DF is well aware of the difference, as he has clearly indicated that this shirt is a jab at himself. However, (and this also goes to all of you who are saying it should be rejected because the artist said it was a joke entry), just because it's self-deprecating doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile and humorous shirt. Many times something the artist intended as a joke turns out to be that artist's best work.



And many times it is not. This is not.

The main difference in our arguments: you actually have a shred of faith in Deadfrog, while I do not.

imsochady


quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
nbouscal wrote:So, just out of curiosity, do you know the meaning of the word pander? I'm specifically confused by your lack of understanding of what the subtext means outside of shirt.woot context. The subtext is practically the definition of the word pander in its modern usage. While the word heralds from a baser origin, the easiest way to express the current connotation is, quite simply, the phrase in the subtext of this shirt.

As such, the three portions of the shirt that you say "don't quite go [together]" are all interlinked in a way that is downright obvious to the casual observer. Pander is a simple play on words, hence the pandas, and the subtext merely enunciates the theme in more specific terms.

The only thing that makes it a self-reference is that these pandering pandas are clearly self-deprecating on behalf of the artist; however, that meaning is secondary to the one that your "random person" would quickly pick up on: current mainstream musicians "pander" to the crowds by selling catchy music that, while completely lacking in any form of musical integrity, is what the people want.

So, while the shirt is an inside joke, it manages to be simultaneously meaningful to anyone with a large enough vocabulary. Because of this, there are really no grounds for rejection.



Oh I'm sorry. I must've used the dictionary definition of the word "pander" in verb form,

[v] Pander: to offer illicit sex with a third party; to pimp;

And all I can see are panda bears with musical instruments. Unless of course this a new way of "pandering" (my definition) in the streets today.

But going back to my point, this is a joke entry as the artist said so himself. There are other well-intentioned designs out there. Support them instead!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kylemittskus wrote:You're missing the point and comparing this shirt to the bunnies shirt is completely horrible. Ramy's shirt has no grounds for rejection. It's a bad shirt, but that's all. This shirt should be rejected because it is a woot reference; not because other shirts exist like it. People hate Ramy's shirt because it embrangles. People are saying this shirt should get rejected because it falls under woot reference. See the difference?



I would also like to note there is not even a shred enough hate toward that idiotic Pi shirt that somehow made it to fog-level. I have not seen a worse shirt in contention for a print since Hackrox submit "eggs are sides" to the exercise derby.

Let us all remember in these trying times that, even as we argue over Deadfrog and Ramy, it is an honest truth that NOBODY actually likes haxrox

dijin


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin
Re: Bunny Holly



ha! I really like this