AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ensmind wrote:Thank you, so am I...

Question- Does Adder run this site or what? -



If Adder ran this site, your IP would be banned just for submitting this shirt. It is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life.

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
imsochady wrote:I disagree. Any random person would not get this shirt. Just with the sub-text, "Give The People What They Want." What does that even mean out of context/shirt.woot world? It doesn't quite go with the 3 pandas playing nor with the headline "Pander Bears." This is an inside shirt.woot joke entry guys!



EXACTLY. I am not a Woot! insider.. and I have no clue why this is funny. It looks like a direct ripoff of the hear no evil shirt.

Stuntdummy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuntdummy
Re: Interplanetary Bunnies



I'm seeing a lot of good comments about how people should go about critiquing, whether it be constructive, positive, or harsh.
But does every comment need to be about critiquing? Complaints without critique are just as valid and this is why:

I don't think Ramyb needs critiquing, he's got a solid style. But I do think he's using his talent and following to put out sub-par stuff that is off-theme, which then robs more eligible shirts of a shot at derby victory. And if I want to speak my frustration without some sort of "constructive criticism" involved, I am perfectly in-line to do so.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
AdderXYU wrote:I would also like to note there is not even a shred enough hate toward that idiotic Pi shirt that somehow made it to fog-level.



I hate the Pi shirt. My boyfriend does too. I didn't want to say anything because I thought maybe it would make me look dumb. I'm not dumb. I think it's an ugly shirt. Maybe I better get over to that thread and check things out...

I wonder if DF is going to pull the plug on this one?


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

redesnot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redesnot
beefzaweef wrote:suuuuure...



seriously?

choiceweb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages choiceweb
Re: Vector Doom



Featuring their hit single ”Duck and Cover“

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
AdderXYU wrote:It is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life.



Hahaha.

...um, I'm really not into this...I'm not sure how it got into the fog...maybe I'm just dumb? I know what pi is. I get the reference and all that. I just don't find the design appealing. But I guess there are a lot of people that really love pi. I mean, they REALLY LOVE pi.

But hey, what do I know? I homeschooled.


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
imsochady wrote:Oh I'm sorry. I must've used the dictionary definition of the word "pander" in verb form,

[v] Pander: to offer illicit sex with a third party; to pimp;



Like I said, the word heralds from a baser origin. Connotation is what's important. Ask a random person on the street what "pander" means; what they tell you will align with the theme of the shirt. And it's in the dictionary too:

"–verb (used without object)
4. to act as a pander; cater basely: to pander to the vile tastes of vulgar persons."

Cater basely is the relevant part of this definition. There's even an article here: http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-pan2.htm that explains further the fact that pander is no longer associated with the solicitation of sex.


On to other points: Adder, I think the main difference is not our level of faith in DF but rather how much we like the design. Yes, I have more faith in him than you, but I also love the hell out of this design and would wear it all the time.


Regarding bunnies: I don't think Ramy's shirt should be rejected either. I actually like most of Ramy's shirts. This one is one of his weaker entries, in my opinion, but in general I think the guy's damn talented. My point is, neither of the shirts should be rejected.


Regarding the pi shirt: Yeah, I effing hate it too. It needs to get the hell out of the fog.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: now appearing in Seattle, Portland, NY, San Fran..



I don't think a filthy hippie would care if this was offensive. That's what makes them filthy hippies in the first place. Whoever is offended by this shirt is obviously not a filthy hippie and therefore has no reason to be offended. See? Problem solved!

Good job Jewelwing!


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

acceptablerisk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages acceptablerisk

Holy apcray. Monsters of Cowbell fell out of the fog. I thought it was going to be a futile fight for fourth place. But with evidence that at least one of the frontrunners wasn't out of reach, I'm getting excited that I might actually get my Sex Drugs shirt.

Keep drumming, robodrummer. If I can't have Ham Grenade, you're my best hope.

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
AdderXYU wrote:It is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life.



Agreed. If I wore this shirt, I'd have to punch myself repeatedly in the face every time I looked in a mirror.

ensmind, you clearly have some level of talent, and I appreciate that, but this just isn't something I could ever wear. Maybe it'd work well as a poster in a science classroom or something. I see and understand the humor, I just don't find it worthwhile as a t-shirt.

lindab53


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: The Victorias



Umm...this is one of those shirts that would not work out too well for the ladies considering where the eyes would be located.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Seekay wrote:It said "this is an authentic fake band." but I guess I didn't make the resolution big enough, because it got this shirt rejected for illegible text. -_- It was based off of this shirt: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2637477667_03964ed89b.jpg

Oh well.



Aww, well don't feel bad. It's all a learning curve. Hope to see more from you soon how's your drawing skills?


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
mjc613 wrote:I would.



Cool beans. I will let you know if it happens. Thank you


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

D1C0M


quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
choiceweb wrote:Featuring their hit single ”Duck and Cover“



That's pretty good, why didn't I think of that.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: The Neckbeard Brothers



I don't know why I didn't notice this before. I dig the illustration. I think it's hilarious. The style reminds me of Of Montreal's art.


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

D1C0M


quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
neonix wrote:The design is cool, but the text seems awkwardly tossed on.


Yeah, I'm not good at choosing font or placement when it comes to text.

snailprints


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snailprints
Re: The Dead Bird Society: The Road Kill Tour of 1989



I Love this one !!! Vote it to the fog PLEASE!!!

snailprints


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snailprints
Re: Friends With Snails



I Love Snails and I love this shirt. I would love it even more if it got to the fog!!

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: The Sex Drugs



Come on!! Get up to 1st place and STAY THERE!!!!

Come on people vote for this shirt!!! its the best looking one in the top not to mention best band name in the top!!

imsochady


quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
nbouscal wrote:Like I said, the word heralds from a baser origin. Connotation is what's important. Ask a random person on the street what "pander" means; what they tell you will align with the theme of the shirt. And it's in the dictionary too:

"–verb (used without object)
4. to act as a pander; cater basely: to pander to the vile tastes of vulgar persons."

Cater basely is the relevant part of this definition. There's even an article here: http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-pan2.htm that explains further the fact that pander is no longer associated with the solicitation of sex.


0MG, you are still hung up on the word "Pander?" Move on. You have your connotation, I have my denotation. I got your point loud and clear, but did you even get mine?

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

Also if this prints this will be the fist shirt ive ordered from woot since the art deco microphone.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
nbouscal wrote:Like I said, the word heralds from a baser origin. Connotation is what's important. Ask a random person on the street what "pander" means...



Ask a random person who their governor is and they'll walk away from you into a McDonald's with their fresh copy of the Tribune or Us Magazine. Bad example.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

purplecrocus83


quality posts: 0 Private Messages purplecrocus83
Re: Gnotace



Great shirt, i like the hidden message the shirt gives. GMV

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
imsochady wrote:0MG, you are still hung up on the word "Pander?" Move on. You have your connotation, I have my denotation. I got your point loud and clear, but did you even get mine?



I don't see how responding to your assertion makes me "hung up," but whatever. If your point is that the English language is a living thing that changes frequently, then yes, I get your point. Honestly, it seems to me that your argument is rather akin to freaking out because someone uses the word 'most excellent' to describe a homosexual. "It means happy!" Not anymore, and similarly nor does pander mean pimp. As such, the design not only makes sense but is very humorous.

EDIT: Censor makes my argument worthless and laughable. Oh well.

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
kylemittskus wrote:Ask a random person who their governor is and they'll walk away from you into a McDonald's with their fresh copy of the Tribune or Us Magazine. Bad example.



Eh, I'll agree, though in my defense I wasn't the one who originated the 'random person' argument, I was merely responding in kind. More important than what a random person thinks is that enough woot voters understand the modern connotation of the word to vote the shirt into the fog.

imsochady


quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
nbouscal wrote:I don't see how responding to your assertion makes me "hung up," but whatever. If your point is that the English language is a living thing that changes frequently, then yes, I get your point. Honestly, it seems to me that your argument is rather akin to freaking out because someone uses the word 'most excellent' to describe a homosexual. "It means happy!" Not anymore, and similarly nor does pander mean pimp. As such, the design not only makes sense but is very humorous.

EDIT: Censor makes my argument worthless and laughable. Oh well.



I guess you didn't. This is my point, and I'll say it again...

This is a joke entry as the artist said so himself. There are other well-intentioned designs out there. Support them instead!

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
imsochady wrote:I guess you didn't. This is my point, and I'll say it again...

This is a joke entry as the artist said so himself. There are other well-intentioned designs out there. Support them instead!



Eh, if that's your point I don't follow why you were attempting to argue the idea that the shirt didn't make sense. Regardless, I've already addressed that point. Just because the artist wasn't serious about the entry doesn't mean the entry lacks merit. I'd prefer to judge results rather than intent.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Stuntdummy wrote:I'm seeing a lot of good comments about how people should go about critiquing, whether it be constructive, positive, or harsh.
But does every comment need to be about critiquing? Complaints without critique are just as valid and this is why:

I don't think Ramyb needs critiquing, he's got a solid style. But I do think he's using his talent and following to put out sub-par stuff that is off-theme, which then robs more eligible shirts of a shot at derby victory. And if I want to speak my frustration without some sort of "constructive criticism" involved, I am perfectly in-line to do so.



He has an absolutely solid style. For otaku fan art and nerdcons. Not for a legit shirt site. It is certainly arguable that woot is not a legit shirt site, but still, take it to cafepress. Start "The Dojo of the Same Design 100 Ways" and rake in your profits. There is no reason we should have to deal with anything this uninspired week after week.

ORIGINAL AND EXCLUSIVE shirts, says the FAQ. None of these are original. They are the same exact thing every 15 year old with a mangafetish draws. Every shirt looks the same. Every concept is stale. As for exclusive, that is only because there is no other shirt site out there who would accept this level of work

imsochady


quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
nbouscal wrote:I'd prefer to judge results rather than intent.


Hah! I could see someone really being irate about this, but here stops our conversation. Nice talking to yah!

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
imsochady wrote:Hah! I could see someone really being irate about this, but here stops our conversation. Nice talking to yah!



Likewise!

Shigwarm


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
snailprints wrote:I Love Snails and I love this shirt. I would love it even more if it got to the fog!!



I love your user name!

dlcramer99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlcramer99
Re: No music allowed?



No disrespect to anyone with this. Just an idea that came to me watching the news and how decenters are treated right now.

The text at the bottom is "the all iranian rejects" ran through a arabic translator so I can only hope it is correct.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Raheelp wrote:One word: Kohlrabi.



Which is at least on theme and not a recycled piece of rejected schlock from the last derby

Seekay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seekay
homeschoolwinner wrote:Aww, well don't feel bad. It's all a learning curve. Hope to see more from you soon how's your drawing skills?



xD Pretty lacking, to say the least. And I still don't understand the whole submission thing here that well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SeekayFilms

baloonce


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baloonce
Re: Galactic Riffed



Really nice design. I voted for a few others, but this one would be the first and maybe the only 1 bought from this derby. I really hope it rallies!

youngmc33


quality posts: 0 Private Messages youngmc33
youngmc33 wrote:Whoops - this was supposed to be in a comp's own thread.



God, I feel special. Good thing I know how to work comments.

What I said initially was:

Hah, I love it! I work for Starbucks, so I totally understand. Though I do make a mean espresso macchiato =]. +1 from me!

icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Interplanetary Bunnies



i usually chime in about blah blah, but i havent seen any Must Have shirts in this derby, so i dont have to complain about this one

yay

wugsby


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby
Re: Chuck Pucker and his Pluckin' Pickers!



Never give up, kenney, and one day they'll recognize your genius

icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
homeschoolwinner wrote:I don't think a filthy hippie would care if this was offensive. That's what makes them filthy hippies in the first place. Whoever is offended by this shirt is obviously not a filthy hippie and therefore has no reason to be offended. See? Problem solved!

Good job Jewelwing!



what if it wasnt a filthy hippie... but a regular one?

Hmmm???