haezoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haezoo
domi123 wrote:I think he's quoting a song by Weezer called Buddy Holly that starts off with "what's with these hommies dissin' my girl?"

A+ for you! That's exactly what *she* was doing. ;)

I loved this shirt and voted for it.

swordsaint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swordsaint

i really like this one, i voted for it

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
vsuhr wrote:I'm a dental hygiene student and absolutely adore this shirt!!

Thanks so much for your appreciation! just a few more hundred votes to go lol

carmenate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carmenate
Re: Galactic Riffed

I love the design, but there actually is a great band named Galactic already. They're out of New Orleans.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
AdderXYU wrote:Again, I don't for a second think he's mocking himself. I think the joke is on the people who think that.

He's still putting out the same work, and will be making the same payout off it. And he'll do it again the next time. But it will be OK, because he jokes about how he does it.

I have to agree. I think this artist is capable of doing great work if he would branch out a bit. To me it doesn't seem like a "joke" as much as another way to capitalize on a previously successful design that got rejected. I'm never one to get involved in these sorts of matters, but it's hard to see a talented artist not utilize his talent.

JordanTG

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JordanTG
re: now appearing in seattle, portland, ny, san fran..

If the Pie shirt beats this then one thing is going to happen;

Gun in mouth.

JordanTG

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JordanTG
Re: The Eucalyptus Melancholy

I can't believe A)the Pi shirt is ahead of this, and B)People aren't digging this illustration.

Sorry Drakxxx, i personally love it.

rem8098

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rem8098

While I think this is cute, it seems to me to be more like a parody of an existing band than a fake band.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
SamirNagheenanajar wrote:...are there conjugal visits on the interwebs?

That depends... is this a minimum security interwebs, or a federal pound you in the __ interwebs?

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
cmdixon2 wrote:I have to agree. I think this artist is capable of doing great work if he would branch out a bit. To me it doesn't seem like a "joke" as much as another way to capitalize on a previously successful design that got rejected. I'm never one to get involved in these sorts of matters, but it's hard to see a talented artist not utilize his talent.

I agree too, it's disappointing because DeadFrog is a great designer that is able to do a lot better than this. I know it won't be rejected because it IS an actual commentary on popular music, but if I wore this, no one would get it until I explained it. It's kind of upsetting because there are entries in the derby right now that took more time and effort to make, and are more creative, than this, and DeadFrog is more than capable of putting something like that out. Oh well..majority rules...that's what it all boils down to.

EDIT: By the way, I REALLY want to wear space crabs, cmdixon.

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

SamirNagheenanajar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamirNagheenanajar
striker138 wrote:That depends... is this a minimum security interwebs, or a federal pound you in the __ interwebs?

...but I am not a very bad person. Just ask Michael Bolton!

No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right.
It's not that hard: Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.

nbouscal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
cmdixon2 wrote:I have to agree. I think this artist is capable of doing great work if he would branch out a bit. To me it doesn't seem like a "joke" as much as another way to capitalize on a previously successful design that got rejected. I'm never one to get involved in these sorts of matters, but it's hard to see a talented artist not utilize his talent.

Well, I will say that I definitely would prefer Space Crabs printed over this one. At the same time though, since this design has around or more than 700 votes, I don't think it's fair to say DF isn't utilizing his talent. Yes, other of his submissions have had significantly more artistic integrity (the Dance sub, for example), but I still say that if you ignore the history behind it, this shirt is a very solid submission in terms of both humor and design.

And really, I don't buy Adder's assertion that DF is going to keep mocking himself as a way to keep making money. I think the difference in our opinions is, I don't see the reuse of the distressed/scratchy characters as mockery. The part that to me is clearly self-deprecating is the theme of the shirt; the idea that DF is pandering to the voters. For one thing, that theme did happen to fit pretty well into this derby, and for another, I doubt he'd try to (or manage to) pull it off again. Will he probably sell more shirts with repetitively distressed characters? Sure. But that's again no different than Ramy selling dozens of bunnies.

homeschoolwinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: Bunny Holly

I appreciate you made his band crickets! Just like the real buddy holly. Very clever.

"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Manvyi wrote:It says (in Russian) "Menand Women from Russia" - should be "Men and Women from Russia", but there's a space missing.

Huh. I now see the "je" where before I saw it as a "k". And I did think there were too many vowels on the end of "mushchini," but figured Russians used more vowels than Ukes... meh. It's kind of pointless. Some sort of wordplay or cleverness would have been appreciated and voted.

BaconWishmeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BaconWishmeyer
cmdixon2 wrote:I have to agree. I think this artist is capable of doing great work if he would branch out a bit.

homeschoolwinner wrote:I agree too, it's disappointing because DeadFrog is a great designer that is able to do a lot better than this.

I think you'll see less and less of these types of comments. The more schlock that DeadFrog puts out, the more that's what he's becoming known by.

People will stop saying "he's a great artist, but..." or "he's got so much potential..."

And if that's what he wants, and that's what pays his bills, and he doesn't care about credibility or respect, then there's nothing anyone can do to stop the parade of empty calories he enters into the derbies.

Me? , I've basically stopped coming here, and give my money to DBH, TeeFury, Threadless, and Teextile. And this is a perfect example why.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
eHalcyon wrote:It's off topic if it doesn't evoke the feel of a band shirt. Subjective, but I agree that, had I simply seen this design on the street, I wouldn't think that it was a band shirt.

If it was on a shirt cop then it would be very much on topic.

The name sounds like so many bands that roll into venues that my band plays at.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
cerberez wrote:That was an unfair block, or maybe you've got bad eyes. "Appearing on plates everywhere."

I read "Appearing on plates everywhere." as well

danab222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danab222
dlcramer99 wrote:No disrespect to anyone with this. Just an idea that came to me watching the news and how decenters are treated right now.

The text at the bottom is "the all iranian rejects" ran through a arabic translator so I can only hope it is correct.

The language of Iran is Farsi. Not Arabic.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
camoor wrote:Where are you from - the 60s? Todays hippies drive a Prius to yoga class, eat organic, and lecture about global warming :D

and are still filthy.

RobotDCLXVI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobotDCLXVI

I'm glad I ran across this shirt. Awesome! You got my vote, and I hope it makes it to print. Your shirt is one of 3 I'd actually buy, only one of which is winning currently. Good luck.

AdderXYU

nbouscal wrote:Well, I will say that I definitely would prefer Space Crabs printed over this one. At the same time though, since this design has around or more than 700 votes, I don't think it's fair to say DF isn't utilizing his talent. Yes, other of his submissions have had significantly more artistic integrity (the Dance sub, for example), but I still say that if you ignore the history behind it, this shirt is a very solid submission in terms of both humor and design.

And really, I don't buy Adder's assertion that DF is going to keep mocking himself as a way to keep making money. I think the difference in our opinions is, I don't see the reuse of the distressed/scratchy characters as mockery. The part that to me is clearly self-deprecating is the theme of the shirt; the idea that DF is pandering to the voters. For one thing, that theme did happen to fit pretty well into this derby, and for another, I doubt he'd try to (or manage to) pull it off again. Will he probably sell more shirts with repetitively distressed characters? Sure. But that's again no different than Ramy selling dozens of bunnies.

He's not going to keep mocking himself. He is going to keep putting out cute scratchy pandas. Or other cute scratchy things. Which is what I meant. Just like he did on his first win. And his second. And likely his third. And they will all be literal pieces. Just like his first. And his second. And they will capitalize on people's nostalgia. And when people say "dude, you're better than this" he will post a funny little cartoon and everyone will say LOL you are a funny dude you are OK by me please keep submitting. It IS no different from Ramy selling dozens of bunnies. But you seem to think people LIKE Ramy. The difference is, Deadfrog has potential and refuses to use it. Ramy has no potential. It's almost more of a slap in the face that way.

And the "he's got 700+ votes so he is using his talent" argument is the weakest thing ever. Votes have NEVER related directly to talent. Unless you consider his "talent" an ability to snag votes. In which case there is no ARTISTIC talent being used. Voter pandering? Obviously. It's admitted in the design. But the amount of votes does not mean there is any quality here. It just means people like it. People have liked plenty of horrible shirts. Look at the Pi shirt up there with deadfrog.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
imsochady wrote:Hi there! I'm sad this isn't getting more votes. I could use a white shirt with a really cool design on it, not just for the summer, but for ever!

Ahhhhh your signature!!!

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
re: live!...well...(resub)

is it "Live" as in I am a-live, or live as in I live to rock? Either way "Live" (the first kind) is a real band.

arioth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arioth
AdderXYU wrote:and are still filthy.

As one of the rarer clean hippies, I think I might be offended. ;)

philman14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philman14
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32839]

I just read about the history and everything behind this shirt, and I think it is absolutely hilarious. I would most definitely buy this shirt simply because of all the ridiculous stupid discussion about "artistic integrity" and the like. It's a friggin t-shirt, get over yourselves.

But really, even before I got the backstory on it, I thought it was a funny dig at the music industry in general and people "selling out to the man".

I think it really boils down to me wanting to see it win just so adderxyu can throw a big hissy fit. Adder, do you have a blog or anything that you rant on? I would LOVE to get an RSS subscription to THAT!

gingerbreadface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingerbreadface
Re: The Cheap Posters

Hahaha I like it.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Infinite Pi

Wow, I can't believe how quickly this shot up!

My Bachelor's is in Computer Science, so I'm a sucker for a good math joke, but the compositional qualities of this design don't sit as well with me as I'd like (I'm not sure if the background fireball/flame thing is composed of halftones or just sort of a series of specks strung together, but it doesn't look quite right to me).

cabbageloins

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbageloins

As someone who has played on the street before (though I'm certainly not filthy, but then who would admit it?), I found no offense here, and I doubt any of my filthy-or-unfilthy brethren would take offense either. Good design, you have my vote.

Ommog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ommog

I totally agree. By the way, I love your Space Crabs shirt... aside from being awesome, it makes me wish/hope for a 1950's horror movie derby or something.

AdderXYU wrote:... And the "he's got 700+ votes so he is using his talent" argument is the weakest thing ever. Votes have NEVER related directly to talent. Unless you consider his "talent" an ability to snag votes. In which case there is no ARTISTIC talent being used. Voter pandering? Obviously. It's admitted in the design. But the amount of votes does not mean there is any quality here. It just means people like it. People have liked plenty of horrible shirts. Look at the Pi shirt up there with deadfrog.

Agreed. Especially considering the guy SAID he didn't have time to make a real submission, so he threw this together. In my opinion, saying DeadFrog is using his artistic talent in this shirt after seeing things like "The Destroyer of Worlds" is an insult to him.

Like I said earlier, between this shirt, the cowbell one, the pi one, and the other cutesy stuff that's in/around the fog, I've pretty much given up on this derby... basically just waiting until Thursday/Friday to see what the next one holds.

jerroul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul
Re: Yo Dawg I herd you like fake bands so we put a...

They're sorta like Spinal, only like more ya know, more narly like. Gotta great drummer. Bummer what hap'nd with ST's last one. Bummer man.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
leonryan wrote:i've been hovering around 5th/6th for at least a day now. don't like my chances but i appreciate you plugging it. thanks.

no no you need to have faith!! if this duznt win and get printed all hope in Shirt.woot! will be lost. dumb pandas or PB&J come on people... shirts like those make me wish woot didn't offer kids sizes B^( hmmm maybe woot needs to branch off one more time and have kidshirt.woot for all the goody goody kiddy crud

Man i hope this prints!! this is the best looking shirt on here in a long time!

dlcramer99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlcramer99
danab222 wrote:The language of Iran is Farsi. Not Arabic.

I think its to late to fix and resubmit. My 9-5 wouldnt help me doing so anyway. I should have known better. Had and idea and did it to fast to think about it.

Thanks for all the comments. Besides my language mistake, I am glad it is taken as I intended and not offending. Besides I think its the most votes I have recieved in such a short time. Wish I would have thought of the idea earlier.

AdderXYU

L3g3ndQ wrote:no no you need to have faith!! if this duznt win and get printed all hope in Shirt.woot! will be lost. dumb pandas or PB&J come on people... shirts like those make me wish woot didn't offer kids sizes B^( hmmm maybe woot needs to branch off one more time and have kidshirt.woot for all the goody goody kiddy crud

Man i hope this prints!! this is the best looking shirt on here in a long time!

The only thing that would make this idea bad is that people would still be making $1000 for shirts that no human, regardless of age, should wear. These bad shirts aren't bad because they're too kiddy. They are bad for all reasons.

Though I say "these" as a general blanket. I actually find the concept of PBJ pretty amusing since I know what the reference is.

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence

This doesn't even make me thing "band t-shirt."

Oh well, at least it puts us that much further from lining THAT GUY's uninspired pockets some more.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

I was wondering when you would post this! I think its great! Except they make me think of ACTUAL Lumbar Punctures and I've learned from watching "House M.D" that they hurt really bad!

RandomHandle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RandomHandle
gargrazz wrote:I appreciate your honesty and your opinion. I can't speak for how overdone the joke is - but I've latched on to your comment about how wonderfully executed it is. So that begs the question, how many wonderfully executed cowbell shirts have been done and shouldn't Woot be the ones to print it? ;^P

I've got a lot of great comments about the design and it's been a LONG time since I've fogged (after dozens and dozens of entries that I took a lot of pride in). Topping 600 votes will have to be satisfying enough until I get around to designing another one.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I'm going to chime in only to say that I think this design is exactly what the derby is about. You definitely captured the essence of a tour t-shirt.

I get that this is a totally new take on the joke and that the design is far superior to the other cowbell shirts available. However, since the joke is nearing a decade old (the Cowbell skit originally appeared on SNL April 8, 2000), I will not be voting or buying this shirt because of the cowbell reference.

Obviously, I disagree with the multitude of wooters who voted for your shirt - but congratulations on gaining this much momentum for your design. I'm looking forward to more from you.

spanishmel

I think its a pun and its pretty funny! Zombies. They're coming to get you Barbara...

MaryESP

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaryESP

Not feeling this one. I don't have anything against it really, there are just too many others I prefer.

spanishmel

Drakxxx wrote:Great stuff as always sir. The bloody head makes the design in my opinion.

That and the guitar on her back!

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: The Awesome Mix Tapes

LAST!!!!!