leonryan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leonryan
Re: The Grail Shaped Beacons

ha! great name for a band. supported by the holy hand grenades?

NewspaperCrane

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NewspaperCrane
Re: The Sex Drugs

I'm hoping that the design doesn't take that much space on the final shirt.

If it shrinks a bit, I'd be in fo sho.

I miss me some wootTV.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
leonryan wrote:ha! great name for a band. supported by the holy hand grenades?

And opening the show -- the Vorpal Rabbits...

OtherMatt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages OtherMatt

Nice, kind of reminds me of this:

http://www.afmo.com/Pork_Eating_Crusader_Patch_p/msm_patch_porkeatingcrusader.htm

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Sjohnson509 wrote:Love it!

I guess this isn't going to make it. Such a fun shirt. If this doesn't get an editors choice and ends up printing somewhere, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
nbouscal wrote:I'd have to disagree. "SPIDERS! GET THEM OFF!" is way better. But yes, hot tamale is pretty effing funny :P

Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
Can someone recap World War 2 for me?
I do, occasionally, pick my nose
ominous messages from Greg

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

meestergud wrote:Wait. . .the Monsters of Cowbell don't come here to TX? HELLO?!?!? Yes, we have 6th St. in Austin and Woot!, but we also have cows. Lots and lots of cows. Plus, the University of Texas has a cow mascot and a bunch of old ladies who do nothing but ring cowbells during football games. As much as I love the idea, I can't vote for such an oversight.

gargrazz wrote:How could three dorks ringing cowbells compete with a chorus of football Moms? Texas is the Broadway of cowbell. The tour wasn't ready.

- The Manager of T.M.O.C.W.T.

But... the cowbell instrument (as used in the skit) isn't the kind you RING. You hit it with a stick.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: Botanical Beard

@ Icemank91- Thanks! I only voted for.....5 shirts this derby? Usually I'm around the 9/10 shirt mark.

@ JordanTG- ahahahahahahahaha. Thank you so much for that. Salad fingers is so refreshingly weird.

@ lemonlover- If I would have had more shirt, I would have made that beard MUCH longer. Alas, the one setback of trying to make wearable art is that, well, it has to be wearable.

@ datashock - Wow. I'm flattered. Thank you! And if it somehow prints elsewhere, I will let you know!

@ Superkevio - glad to see your Bunny Holly go so much love. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say it was your first submission? That's quite impressive.

Alright, kids. This has been fun. I gotta go to work now. But it's not really work, since I'm making concert posters. Fun ones. Can't wait to come back this evening and see what the new theme is!

bellarific

Re: Gonna Make You Lunch

Noooooooo! Knock the pi and Cowbell out of the top four!!! I summon 300 people (who've made a purchase on woot before) to come to Artulo's aid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eHalcyon

ensmind wrote:Adder get a life bro seriously... it's a T-Shirt Dude not public office... Freedom to express ones self through the outlet Woot provides... T-Shirts... You have the right to comment as does everyone else... but your problem is your skirt is too tight and your high heels don't fit...

Get out of the woman's department and take it like a man... This T-Shirt is I designed is a symbol to girls like you... you can't always have your way...

Good Night Adder sleep well and dream of me!

Wow, that's a little sexist. "Female" shouldn't be a derogatory term.

bellarific

This is like the little shirt that could, man. I've been watching it creep all week, and I'm happy to see it finally found its way into the fog.

It's a well designed shirt that deserves a print.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

Come on People VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!! this shirt needs to WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

man i hope this shirt makes it those other 3 are getting a LOT of votes all of a sudden 85 for the hibbies, 51 and 55 for the other two??? jebus i wonder if those 3 are plugging on other sights.. if so we need to do the same for this shirt!! B^)

bellarific

Re: Infinite Pi

Alright, I have to say this before voting closes. I've been thinking it all week, and even though all my friends disagree with me, I just have to get it out.

I really don't like this design. I mean, the concept is....alright and all. I just.....I think it's kind of pixelated looking, but it doesn't necessarily look intentional. The type just looks stamped in the center because that's the first place anyone thinks to put type, not because it's serving a higher purpose for the aesthetic or concept of the design.

I just think most of this shirt design looks rushed, and it would serve it well to.....clean it up some. But, that's just my opinion, and it looks like there are more than enough people who are totally happy with it, so congratulations anyway.

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
eHalcyon wrote:But... the cowbell instrument (as used in the skit) isn't the kind you RING. You hit it with a stick.

We in the cowbell biz still consider that 'ringing'. It sounds a bit more musically relevant than 'hit it with a stick to make a clunk sound'. Ask the drummers. They tried saying stuff like, "Dude, you hecka' hit the top of that thing with your sticks in a really... great way." They decided it was easier to just say, "You wailed." The drum is not a whale, but they got it because it was fewer words. That's good marketing.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: The Space Crabs

Thanks for all the votes and support everybody!
I'll definitely revisit this one once it's out of Woot's grasp.

eHalcyon

gargrazz wrote:We in the cowbell biz still consider that 'ringing'. It sounds a bit more musically relevant than 'hit it with a stick to make a clunk sound'. Ask the drummers. They tried saying stuff like, "Dude, you hecka' hit the top of that thing with your sticks in a really... great way." They decided it was easier to just say, "You wailed." The drum is not a whale, but they got it because it was fewer words. That's good marketing.

How about "strike" instead of "ring"? It's way more RAWK.

bellarific

Re: Monsters Of Cowbell World Tour

God, I'm being such a meanie. Admitting, five seconds before voting closes, my true thoughts on two of the top four designs.

I'm sure this has been said already, but I think the cowbell thing is pretty exhausted. Plus, I just....don't see the "art" here. I see the text and I see the halftones and the silhouetted woman, but..

...I just......don't see anything that someone else on the internet hasn't already made funny in the past. It's like taking credit for someone else's joke. Stamping your name on an entire trend.

Ah well, congrats on the print. It seems there are still alot of folks who are all about the cowbell.

nanojohn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nanojohn
Re: Watch Out For Bears

This is by far the best entry in the whole derby and I'm quite sad that this won't print. My only hope is that the author will try to print this elsewhere.

bellarific

hlevi1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hlevi1
re: classic [url=http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=32839]

MiloMutt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MiloMutt
Re: Skid Hound

Great shirt! I'd buy it!!

gargrazz

eHalcyon wrote:How about "strike" instead of "ring"? It's way more RAWK.

You may have just taken it up to 11 with that suggestion. I'm going to Twitter my cowbell feed and get everyone on board.

moonym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonym
re: the june 09ers!

I'd have bought it, but I probably wouldn't have worn it :\

moonmang

gargrazz

bellarific wrote:Ah well, congrats on the print. It seems there are still alot of folks who are all about the cowbell.

I'm not sure I've got the print. We'll see.

Your design has had my vote all week, so I appreciate your feedback. I completely understand your position. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Thanks for all the feedback and votes, everyone.

gargrazz

bellarific wrote:and the silhouetted woman

...and that is totally a dude. :^)

theManwaring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theManwaring
re: the sex drugs

Clear winner here. Love this design sooooo much!

-theManwaring

mayh658

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mayh658

I think the timing of the shirt has been the problem. If it entered the derby on Friday, it would probably be selling this week. I think we're all going to have to hope for a take-two derby or Editor's choice to be able to buy this one. What a shame!

BlazinApes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlazinApes
HotSoup19 wrote:hoho, it's to bad this is going to be rejected because Woot can't deal with anything sex or drug related, not that it would of won anyway, they should just lighten up a little

I agree, what happened to free speech? oh thats right, our government is trying to do away with that and call it hate crime bill. Looks like Woot is on the bandwagon.

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
mayh658 wrote:I think the timing of the shirt has been the problem. If it entered the derby on Friday, it would probably be selling this week. I think we're all going to have to hope for a take-two derby or Editor's choice to be able to buy this one. What a shame!

I think this just needs a few more votes to knock that darn cowbell outta the top three.

Vote, people, VOTE!!!!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: HAM GRENADE ROCKS HARDER THAN YOUR MOM!

This combines my love for food, violence, and rock n' roll. In other words: WIN.

Felicemente

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Felicemente
jabberjaws13 wrote:even with his painted on beard he was not a good salesman. he was a swindler, who peddled apcray to insomniacs and bored housewives. next up is the stupid sham-wow moose.

Sorry to jump in here, but not true. Having worked with Billy as a freelance script supervisor on an Oxyclean infomercial, the man was kind, respectful and incredibly hard-working - all traits that are extremely unusual for talent on his level. He was concerned about what he was selling and being careful to not make claims that were not true.

As for "peddling apcray", how many products are on the market now that contain some form of Oxyclean? What about Orangeglo? Tons...and there's a reason why: the apcray works.

There are many things that you can say about Billy Mays (loud, annoying, whatever), but being a bad salesman is NOT one of them. Dude could sell heaters in the Sahara desert.

And the beard, while obviously over-manicured and colored, was most assuredly real.

Before leaving the set on the last day of shooting (a 19 hour day that started at 5:00am, no less), Billy made time to go around to all the behind-camera folks and thank them - every single one of us. Not many people would do that.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with this shirt, but that's just me.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird

Yeah, this is definitely going to be a close finish. There's some serious last-minute voting going on here.

To the artist, a question. Is this your first entry? If it is, major congratulations! I agree with someone way up there in the comments who said they thought it was a tgentry... when I saw the thumbnail, that's what I thought. I also see that you've got many of the "big names" (as I think of them) commenting and complimenting your work. It even appears that AdderXYU doesn't hate you, and that's a pretty decent accomplishment!

Wishing you luck on a print this week, and even if you end up in 4th, that's a great accomplishment for your first derby (assuming, like I said, that this was your first) and I think you could easily get this printed on Cameesa if you don't end up with an HM.

fifey157

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fifey157
re: infinite pi

WOW. I am really offended by this entire thread and everything that the artist and his girlfriend said. And I only got to read the edited by Woot version. I have yet to see an artist act as childish as you because a couple people said they did not like your shirt. You probably lost more votes with those comments than people who commented that they didn't like it.

I agree with all of the people who don't like the shirt. It looks rushed and sloppily put together and weirdly pixelated. Therefore, I am not going to vote for it. All the hateful comments that you made with your girlfriend just put the icing on the cake for me.

Good luck with the derby because according to Shirt Derby Stats you are going to print. But for future derbies, you really need to learn how to take criticism better.

anthrochick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthrochick
AdderXYU wrote:

And believe you me, the creative arts are more important for humanity than retail will ever be. Retail just brings in money, and the world got on fine before without it. Creation nourishes the soul. People have created since the dawn of time.

Ok, I was on board with a lot of your posts for this entry-I disagree with most of them, but I can see where you might have a leg to stand on. Here, I'm afraid, you're overly-romanticizing humanity and completely denying large portions of anthropological data. Don't get me wrong, I'm an artist myself but last time I checked "the world" has never got along without subsistence (of which retail is a part in our culture) while what we think of as art seems to have cropped up thousands of years later. The only thing I know of that people have "created since the dawn of time" is more people and, while many would argue that this is indeed a form of art in itself, I'm pretty sure that's not what we're discussing here. Perhaps you should stick to art criticism and leave the social sciences to others.

Additionally: the only reason I've mentioned this is that you argue that this shirt (and others like it) have little to no merit because they often serve to highlight the fact that Woot is a business. Arguing that business is less important to humanity than art, particularly on the basis of when these institutions came into being, is fundamentally flawed.

nursebynature

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nursebynature

[quote postid="3300426" user="fifey157"]WOW. I am really offended by this entire thread and everything that the artist and his girlfriend said. And I only got to read the edited by Woot version. I have yet to see an artist act as childish as you because a couple people said they did not like your shirt. You probably lost more votes with those comments than people who commented that they didn't like it.

As I said earlier I got caught up in some mean critisisms. Apologies are in order from me and I do apologize. I'll stick to the nursing things and leave the critiquing to the artists. Sorry wooters I stooped to another level obviously

laughtrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laughtrack
Re: KleeShade

Since this isn't going to win the derby, where else can I get this?? Not only is it a great idea/design but my girlfriend's last name is Klee...

jdougan273

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdougan273

Darn it... This is the one shirt (at least in the top 7) that I really wanted... I still don't see how the Cowbell got so many votes (no offense to the creator). That joke has been old for years now... :/

itsbeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsbeth
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32839]

Well, I was torn on this one, given that the quote that serves as its title was actually mine. I hated the original bears, but this did have a certain self-deprecating charm. I'd have been tempted, but it seems the vote totals have spared me the angst of indecision.

ryano1124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryano1124

I'm so mad this shirt didn't make the fog! I was finally going to buy a derby shirt again, but alas.