consolecowboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages consolecowboy

Irreverant and funny. The kind of shirt I'd pay 10 bucks for (not 15) if I were at least 15 years younger and wore T-shirts daily. Congrats to the designer.

pbandito

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pbandito
EdwardBlake wrote:Took me a while to get this shirt. Quite clever use of symbolism. For those who don't get it...

Stay with me.

Abe is freeing the giraffe from the hat.

Abe = Abe

Griffine = Africa = Africans = Slaves

Fancy top hat = Wealthy people = plantations owners = South

Got it, people? Good.

So crass and righteous, and yet, so ridiculously wrong and funny at the same time. Good job there; 8/10.

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko

Is the giraffe licking it's lips? I wonder what's so tasty...

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

i thought it's all just because abe's hat was so big it could hold a giraffe in it, not only a rabbit.

pbandito

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pbandito

Obviously Abe is supposed to represent Prince Henry, whereas the worried giraffe would be Portugal, being pulled out from under the grips of Spain (fiercely embodied by the detachable bunny ears). A fine commentary on trade route expansion, indeed.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

You know what? It doesn't matter what the point of the shirt is. STOP TALKING ABOUT IT.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

xxchange

Does anyone else think it's funny that there's only 99% listed down there on that stats thing? 97% bought one, 2% bought two, 0% bought three...

?

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

ViciousSandpiper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ViciousSandpiper
xxchange wrote:Does anyone else think it's funny that there's only 99% listed down there on that stats thing? 97% bought one, 2% bought two, 0% bought three...

?

I imagine the decimals are rounded off. So 1 or 2 percent might get lost or added in the math. Like, maybe 97.4% bought 1, 2.4% bought 2, and 0.2% bought 3. If you rounded those, they would translate to the numbers you gave.

xxchange

ViciousSandpiper wrote:I imagine the decimals are rounded off. So 1 or 2 percent might get lost or added in the math. Like, maybe 97.4% bought 1, 2.4% bought 2, and 0.2% bought 3. If you rounded those, they would translate to the numbers you gave.

But it's WRONG. Can't these people be exact? There's a whole one percent of people unaccounted for!

cimihighlander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cimihighlander
xxchange wrote:But it's WRONG. Can't these people be exact? There's a whole one percent of people unaccounted for!

It's true! Id it was rounded, the totals should still add up to %100, because while one is rounded down the other must be rounded up! Or maybe, the 1% is the ammount of people who broke woot! and bought 4.

My Woot Count:
Bags o' Crap: 1
Woot: 6
Sellout.Woot:1
Shirt.Woot: 7
Wine.Woot: 1

xxchange

cimihighlander wrote:It's true! Id it was rounded, the totals should still add up to %100, because while one is rounded down the other must be rounded up! Or maybe, the 1% is the ammount of people who broke woot! and bought 4.

But this could be so emotionally damaging! Imagine you bought three of the shirt, and looked at the stats, and it says ZERO PERCENT. You never bought three! Nobody did! It could tilt your whole reality. How do you know what you did that morning, yesterday, or last week if you thought you bought these three shirts but you really didn't? Pretty soon you'll start second-guessing your every move, suspecting everyone, and triple-checking your food. It may take a while, but eventually you're going to end up either in an asylum or murdering someone. All because of Woot. And then the new owners of your house will get a package of three identical Woot shirts while you're sitting in a straight jacket being fed porridge.

xxchange

dave17 wrote:(From Birmingham,AL)
So...You are writing from the 1930s?
You sure as hell don't live in the south.

And I suppose you think the KKK and Can someone recap World War 2 for me? are no more, yes?

I was talking about deeeeeeeeep south. Like, borders Mexico south. Alabama's a bit up from that, isn't it? Maybe a row and a few states to the... right? My geography of the US isn't very good. Mostly I only know the coasts. California, New York, Texas, around there.

KRock1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KRock1
rjv011 wrote:Is it just me??? How come I've been buying Woot shirts for a month or so at $5 and suddenly they are $10? I haven't seen any comments on the doubling of the price. Anyone know?!!

What are you talking about? When were the shirts five bucks? They've been ten bucks for a long time. Was is five with five dollars shipping? 'Cause it's ten with zero shipping, now.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

What a bizarre and cool design. I gotta agree that the giraffe instead of the rabbit outta the hat just illustrates the depth of Abe's stovepipe hat, but I can see the confusion...

ticohans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ticohans

Has no one mentioned the possible Sufjan Stevens influence yet? Makes this awesome shirt even better.

From the song, "Decatur, Or, Round Of Applause For Your Stepmother!":

The sound of the engines and the smell of the grain
We go riding on the abolition grain train
Steven A. Douglas was a great debater
But Abraham Lincoln was the great emancipator

xxchange

ticohans wrote:Has no one mentioned the possible Sufjan Stevens influence yet? Makes this awesome shirt even better.

I was thinking Calvin and Hobbes. No?

kramerd

quality posts: 11 Private Messages kramerd

The trick is that he is putting the "rabbit" into the hat.

Zorro22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zorro22

Anybody else notice the Superman-esque cape?

Definitely goes along with the grandiose banner and perhaps the Real History vs. Remembered History theory. The posthumous honoring of such a person bestows almost superhero-like power to his image.

Actually reminds me in a roundabout way of this:

We must not fear daylight just because it almost always illuminates a miserable world. - René Magritte

xxchange

Zorro22 wrote:Anybody else notice the Superman-esque cape?

Definitely goes along with the grandiose banner and perhaps the Real History vs. Remembered History theory. The posthumous honoring of such a person bestows almost superhero-like power to his image.

Actually reminds me in a roundabout way of this:

Oh, pfft. Are you kidding me?

otpsac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otpsac

I am surprised that Woot printed this. The potential for misinterpretation is pretty straightforward. I am sure the artist probably didn’t intend this to be an anti-African-American racial statement but given the comments here it is clear that some portion of the general population will explicitly see it that way.

cmabratte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmabratte
otpsac wrote:I am surprised that Woot printed this. The potential for misinterpretation is pretty straightforward. I am sure the artist probably didn’t intend this to be an anti-African-American racial statement but given the comments here it is clear that some portion of the general population will explicitly see it that way.

bingo.

ppremont

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ppremont

To emancipate a group is to make it equal to others in the view of the state. Therefore making all magical props bunnies.

So yeah, I guess it is a truly horrible shirt if it says that all the freed slaves are really just slaves despite "dressing them up" as free people.

But hey, the real amazing thing about it is that the shirt was designed by MJ. RIP.

Bring back the 4 O'Clock Flash!!!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
cimihighlander wrote:It's true! Id it was rounded, the totals should still add up to %100, because while one is rounded down the other must be rounded up! Or maybe, the 1% is the ammount of people who broke woot! and bought 4.

That's only true if there are only two options, but here there are three. An example was already given above where the 1% goes missing - 97.4%, 2.4% and 0.2%.

Due to rounding you could also get an extra percentage point, e.g.

95.5% bought 1
2.5% bought 2
2.0% bought 3

General convention is to round 0.5 up, so we get

96% bought 1
3% bought 2
2% bought 3

which comes out to 101%.

No matter how many decimal places you use, the potential for rounding error still exists. If Woot showed it to an extra decimal place, the only difference it would make is that the result would be +/- 0.1% instead of 1%.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic

Not really feeling this design, and I'm usually a sucker for giraffes as they remind me of my 2nd home. I might like this more if it was on any colour but asphalt. It just feels too 'meh' for me as it is.

xxchange

eHalcyon wrote:That's only true if there are only two options, but here there are three. An example was already given above where the 1% goes missing - 97.4%, 2.4% and 0.2%.

Due to rounding you could also get an extra percentage point, e.g.

95.5% bought 1
2.5% bought 2
2.0% bought 3

General convention is to round 0.5 up, so we get

96% bought 1
3% bought 2
2% bought 3

which comes out to 101%.

No matter how many decimal places you use, the potential for rounding error still exists. If Woot showed it to an extra decimal place, the only different it would make is that the result would be +/- 0.1% instead of 1%.

Smarty pants.

eHalcyon

xxchange wrote:Smarty pants.

Ha. I made a typo - "different" vs. "difference".

otimm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages otimm

The Swahili word for Giraffe is pronounced Twig-ay (twig like the stick followed by a long a, emphasis on the a), while Lincoln was known to be a twiggy man so obviously that’s the connection; although the Giraffe had been long exploited in the cotton fields of central Africa, so they may have needed some emancipation, too. As if the emancipation proclamation or the civil war had anything to do with slavery, anyway but power and ego, just like every other human conflict. I will strangle my Beanie Baby giraffe in support of the shirt.

xxchange

eHalcyon wrote:Ha. I made a typo - "different" vs. "difference".

Oh, well, that's different then. How you ever managed to avoid living out of a cardboard box is beyond me.

square965

quality posts: 4 Private Messages square965

“I wanna reach out and grab ya. Forescore times.”

I believe the word is spelled fourscore.

lol hi

xxchange

square965 wrote:“I wanna reach out and grab ya. Forescore times.”

I believe the word is spelled fourscore.

Can you imagine being grabbed forty times?

square965

xxchange wrote:Can you imagine being grabbed forty times?

Why yes, yes I can. =D

lol hi

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal

I would just like to say that you all are insane.

Have a nice day.

eHalcyon

xxchange wrote:Can you imagine being grabbed forty times?

A score is 20, so four score is 80.

Yeah yeah, smarty pants.

xxchange

eHalcyon wrote:A score is 20, so four score is 80.

Yeah yeah, smarty pants.

Heh. Somebody boggled my info. Please wait a moment while I find them and strangle them twenty score times.

square965

xxchange wrote:Heh. Somebody boggled my info. Please wait a moment while I find them and strangle them twenty score times.

The definition of strangle is to kill by squeezing the throat or cutting off oxygen, so you can only strange someone once. =)

lol hi

fizzbang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fizzbang
ticohans wrote:Has no one mentioned the possible Sufjan Stevens influence yet? Makes this awesome shirt even better.

Does Sufjan Stevens Keep giraffes? If he does then that explains a lot. If not, I don't think even drugs will help this one.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
rjv011 wrote:Is it just me??? How come I've been buying Woot shirts for a month or so at $5 and suddenly they are $10? I haven't seen any comments on the doubling of the price. Anyone know?!!

Someone's been smokin' just before midnight...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
eHalcyon wrote:A score is 20, so four score is 80.

Yeah yeah, smarty pants.

::snickers::

you SO four scored....

barabajagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages barabajagle
xxchange wrote:Does anyone else think it's funny that there's only 99% listed down there on that stats thing? 97% bought one, 2% bought two, 0% bought three...

?

All right...

you caught me...

I only wanted the giraffe with the hand around it's neck coming outta the hat (also it looks kinda cool with The Great Ema on it); so I only purchased half of the shirt. Since they cannot calculate a half purchase in the Quantity Breakdown, my % must have been dropped. MrE Solved!

p.s. Looks like they just fixed the Quantity Breakdown.

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fleamarketadict
square965 wrote:The definition of strangle is to kill by squeezing the throat or cutting off oxygen, so you can only strange someone once. =)

Because after that it's no longer strange?

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.