eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Last wooter to woot: eyeslikesugar

good stuff, MJ. in for one.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Gatzby wrote:So what you're saying is that Abe couldn't have anticipated the repercussion of his actions as the Great Emancipator? And where does the Bullmoose party fit in?

umm.....YES!

that's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

pimplobster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pimplobster
flibbityjibbet wrote:Only a 12 year old emo kid would buy it? But... it's Abe Lincoln. Emo kids wouldn't touch this shirt.. sorry just had to say it.

And anyway a twelve year old buying this shirt would be against the terms of service...

18 yrs or older only.

raebee

quality posts: 21 Private Messages raebee
peppersabaddog wrote:i think its racist to assume the giraffe is african. the only giraffe i ever knew was from the poconos.

Can someone please make this into a shirt.

Where do you find a Roomba? At the Innba!

acoustictuesdays

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acoustictuesdays

I actually took this shirt as a "Sufjan Stevens" parody. His song Decatur talks about it... " "Stephen A. Douglas was a great debater, but Abraham Lincoln was the great emancipator"

It might just be me alone on this boat... Darn you Indie Rock...

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
acoustictuesdays wrote:I actually took this shirt as a "Sufjan Stevens" parody. His song Decatur talks about it... " "Stephen A. Douglas was a great debater, but Abraham Lincoln was the great emancipator"

It might just be me alone on this boat... Darn you Indie Rock...

Someone else mentioned this. I don't get the connection other than the line "the great emancipator" which is just a common description of Lincoln and probably not a reference to the song lyric.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

acoustictuesdays

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acoustictuesdays
eHalcyon wrote:Someone else mentioned this. I don't get the connection other than the line "the great emancipator" which is just a common description of Lincoln and probably not a reference to the song lyric.

I think it might also have to do with the artistic style that the shirt was designed in. Very similar style to some of his cover art.

mixer23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23

Wow, I grabbed this one at 1 a.m. and didn't go through the thread until now... What the heck is wrong with you people?! This is nowhere near offensive. It's a shirt! C'mon already! As stated, Lincoln equals huge hat, giraffe equals large animal(rather than the usual small animal that fits in a smaller hat) to go inside said large hat. It amazes me more and more each day how people can be so heavily offended or deeply read into the most simplest of things...

Heh... What's more powerful than God, more evil than Satan, rich men need it, a poor man has it, and will kill you if eaten?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
otpsac wrote:I am surprised that Woot printed this. The potential for misinterpretation is pretty straightforward. I am sure the artist probably didn’t intend this to be an anti-African-American racial statement but given the comments here it is clear that some portion of the general population will explicitly see it that way.

Only at woot is that potential "straightforward". the rest of the world reads books.

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
caspianta wrote:am i taking this the wrong way, or is this the most offensive thing ever? likening the man who is remembered for ending slavery (emancipating) to a magician who's...i dunno...getting PETA upset by forcing an abused giraffe be a part of a trick. i'm kind of ashamed of woot for producing this shirt...for me it goes a little too far.

Oi! Mosh good!. lol
relax chief

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
mixer23 wrote:
Heh... What's more powerful than God, more evil than Satan, rich men need it, a poor man has it, and will kill you if eaten?

Though I don't agree with it, the answer is: 'nothing'.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

AdderXYU

xxchange wrote:Can you imagine being grabbed forty times?

Can you imagine being grabbed 80 times? Because that would be four score.

eHalcyon

mixer23 wrote:Wow, I grabbed this one at 1 a.m. and didn't go through the thread until now... What the heck is wrong with you people?! This is nowhere near offensive. It's a shirt! C'mon already! As stated, Lincoln equals huge hat, giraffe equals large animal(rather than the usual small animal that fits in a smaller hat) to go inside said large hat. It amazes me more and more each day how people can be so heavily offended or deeply read into the most simplest of things...

Nothing.

As far as I remember from reading the comments, very few people actually found it offensive. It's not like certain threads in the past that blew up with misguided outrage. We've got lots of "find the unintentional and ridiculously convoluted symbolism" posts though.

Edit: ELS beat me to the riddle. Curses!

mixer23

eyeslikesugar wrote:Though I don't agree with it, the answer is: 'nothing'.

Although the the answer to the riddle may be up to debate, my main goal was to get the point across that sometimes the answer(in life) is as simple as it gets...

mixer23

eHalcyon wrote:Nothing.

As far as I remember from reading the comments, very few people actually found it offensive. It's not like certain threads in the past that blew up with misguided outrage. We've got lots of "find the unintentional and ridiculously convoluted symbolism" posts though.

Indeed, but the few I saw really amazed me... Heh, maybe next time you can be first

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

I severely disagree with the meaning behind this shirt. I don't think giraffes have very good stage presence at all.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
jamescho84 wrote:Oi! Mosh good!. lol
relax chief

uhoh... caspianta woke the Chobeast...

GO! CHOBEAST, GO!

::sits back and watches it like a Godzilla movie::

cak3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cak3
bluchez wrote:I severely disagree with the meaning behind this shirt. I don't think giraffes have very good stage presence at all.

True, I had not looked at it from that perspective, but your theory does seem to hold water.

jacqie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacqie

what?

jacqie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacqie

three days

mixer23

eHalcyon wrote:Nothing.

On another note, Mitohapa has a shirt available for pre-order today on goodjoe.com

AdderXYU

mixer23 wrote:On another note, Mitohapa has a shirt available for pre-order today on goodjoe.com

That shirt is offensive to Asians. It shows whales in heaven, as a sly jab at the vast illegal whaling businesses in those areas.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
barabajagle wrote:All right...

you caught me...

I only wanted the giraffe with the hand around it's neck coming outta the hat (also it looks kinda cool with The Great Ema on it); so I only purchased half of the shirt. Since they cannot calculate a half purchase in the Quantity Breakdown, my % must have been dropped. MrE Solved!

p.s. Looks like they just fixed the Quantity Breakdown.

I KNEW IT! I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING!!

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

mixer23

AdderXYU wrote:That shirt is offensive to Asians. It shows whales in heaven, as a sly jab at the vast illegal whaling businesses in those areas.

That caused a very hearty laugh on my part...

CardinalGoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CardinalGoldstein

Eh, I don't find this one very insulting, but I don't find it very entertaining, either. I'll p@ss...

cavey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cavey

I hate to burst so many bubbles, but Abraham Lincoln was a not-so-great emancipator. Contrary to what many are taught, the Civil War was not fought over slavery. And Lincoln used the slavery issue ambivalently for leverage to accomplish his goal of maintaining a unified (some would say monolithic) and powerful federal government.

Historians have attributed the following quote to Lincoln:

"If I can save the Union by freeing all the slaves I will do that, if I can save the Union by freeing only some slaves I will do that; if I can save the Union by not freeing a single slaves I will do that. What I do in fighting this war has nothing to do with slavery; it has everything to do with saving the Union."

Look where we are today. We have a monolithic government with top-down control, thanks to Lincoln. Many like to paint those who are against such government as racist supporters of slavery, but that is not so, and I personally feel that it was unfortunate that the South was morally on the wrong side of the slavery issue. But the War Between the States certainly was not necessary to end slavery; nor was it waged for that purpose.

ttdesigns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns

I just had to get this shirt. I actually heard that MJ created this shirt because she is descended from Lincoln and has a pet giraffe.

So she was trying to make a design that brought her heritage together with the things she loved and her modern day life. And when she put them together it was magic.

So here's to MJ and her pet giraffe Fluffy, who she has a hard time saying no to, I hope this shirt sells well for you.

And MJ really lay off all of the in between snacks to Fluffy.

uncchris

quality posts: 6 Private Messages uncchris

I feel like this shirt should be awesome...yet I find it merely confusing, and ultimately not something I'm interested in buying. Oh well.

madzipper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madzipper
rjv011 wrote:Is it just me??? How come I've been buying Woot shirts for a month or so at $5 and suddenly they are $10? I haven't seen any comments on the doubling of the price. Anyone know?!!

A long time ago, they used to be $5 + $5 shipping, now they are $10 with free shipping.

mattzere2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattzere2001

I wish that motivation shirt would come back

ttdesigns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns
madzipper wrote:A long time ago, they used to be $5 + $5 shipping, now they are $10 with free shipping.

I have been here since day one of shirt.woot and the shirts have always been $10.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone who bought and everyone who commented. It was really amazing to read everyone's take on the meaning behind the artwork.

I do have to say, though, that I'm a bit disappointed that no one caught on to the obvious communist subtext of the piece. Too obscure?

eHalcyon

geekfactor12 wrote:Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone who bought and everyone who commented. It was really amazing to read everyone's take on the meaning behind the artwork.

I do have to say, though, that I'm a bit disappointed that no one caught on to the obvious communist subtext of the piece. Too obscure?

Are you kidding? The reason nobody mentioned it was because it was SO apparent that even the dumbest of wooters got it right away. Nobody wanted to state the obvious. You really nailed that part dead on.

AdderXYU

eHalcyon wrote:Are you kidding? The reason nobody mentioned it was because it was SO apparent that even the dumbest of wooters got it right away. Nobody wanted to state the obvious. You really nailed that part dead on.

Abe Lincolns and Giraffes who are Communist for Some Reason.