xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

The Hippie Song

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

bumpass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumpass

This is the first shirt in a long time that I think is worth buying. Awesome design. Can't wait to wear it around saturday market in Portland.

iamjessica

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iamjessica

This is perfect for weekend day in Carboro.

I poop while I Woot.

KeyserSoze33

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KeyserSoze33

Can't wait to wear this to the next indie show I go to. Sold!

xxchange

Since when was Woot such a community of hippies? Just curious, how many other Republicans are there here?

I'M SO ALONE.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

tmoritz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tmoritz

this shirt embrangles. as a jam band follower i find it extremely not funny. just because you're from a "hippie" area doesn't mean you're going to be "cool" for wearing it around town.

ballsdeep420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballsdeep420

I used to live at a place called Sunshine Daydream in Terra Alta WV and that place is loaded with hippies. I purchased 1 to celebrate my love hate relationship with those smelly treehuggers.

Great design!

erinbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinbit

Sounds like a band playing after the drum circle in downtown Asheville...

mcthatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcthatch

Classic...the first shirt in months I absolutely had to have.....congrats to the artist!

skinnyman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skinnyman

This is great, one of the best derby winners in months. Got mine, and will thoroughly enjoy wearing it around everyone who posted a comment along the lines of, "This is SO not funny!" And around hippies on campus of course.

tourpro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tourpro

Could there be a more fitting shirt for myself as I live just outside of Boulder, CO? Best shirt I've ever owned and will be checking the mailbox daily till it arrives.

nursedawn

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nursedawn

[quote postid="3301247" user="xxchange"]Since when was Woot such a community of hippies? Just curious, how many other Republicans are there here?

The opposite of Republican is Democrat.
The opposite of filthy hippie is capitalist pig.

etherealstrife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etherealstrife
xxchange wrote:Since when was Woot such a community of hippies? Just curious, how many other Republicans are there here?

I'M SO ALONE.

Like the dinosaur, you had your time. The future is our world, xxchange. The future is our time.

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles

Ah, those long-time days of yore when hippies roamed the earth and everyone knew where Haight-Ashbury was and illegal substances containing acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol possibly Real Soon Now) were being passed around like candy . Or sugar cubes at least. The summer of our Love, the winter of our Tear-Gassing.

Interestingly, two things separate me from the so-called "Hippie Generation". The first is that I was in Belgium during its height and they didn't much care about it one way or the other there. The second, and far more important, was that I was actually too young to participate and would have been even in the "best" of circumstances. At least I don't miss having missed it.

-

And now, brought to you from the back cover of an ancient copy of MAD(tm) Magazine in full color, a joke apropos to this topic:

Scene - two extremely grungy hippies sitting on either side of a small table. Both of them have bowls in front of them.

Hippie 1: "What's for dinner?"

Hippie 2: "Leftovers."

Hippie 1: "Give me some, man..."

Hippie 2: [reaches up to long beard and wrings out a stream of - well, let's be nice and call it 'left-overs']

(end of strip)

Completely off topic: I've been reading MAD since 1965 or so. I'm not entirely certain why my father, who was a fairly straight-laced colonel in the Air Force would purchase such a thing, much less 'allow' it to be in the household. In any case, for years upon years it was supported completely by magazine-shelf sales and subscriptions.

I remember the very first issue that contained advertisements. Oh yes, they were executed (in a graphic sense, an aesthetic that certainly is appreciated greatly around here) in a far more sophisticated manner than most of the 'regular' stuff, but given the materials produced by "The Usual Gang Of Idiots", although they were VERY odd they simply were not bizarre enough to immediately raise any flags that they were out of the ordinary.

I just thought they were, perhaps, something a little bit more peculiar - but without narrative content - than I was used to.

And then I realized that they were actually adverts for games and other stuff and felt a little bit - disappointed that my beloved MAD magazine had finally sold out and had gone over to the Dark Side because they have chocolate-chip cookies over there.

Past that, even though because of events I could never have been a hippie, I do believe that this shirt truly embodies what you would actually see Way Back Then (although we'd be talking about some really cheap hippies that didn't use 20 colors and psychedelic art) that I believe I'll nab one. When I'm walking the streets of Santa Fe, I'll bet someone will eventually ask me where and when the band will be playing.

xxchange

etherealstrife wrote:Like the dinosaur, you had your time. The future is our world, xxchange. The future is our time.

Nice. Who's bumper sticker did you steal that from?

xxchange

nursedawn wrote:[quote postid="3301247" user="xxchange"]Since when was Woot such a community of hippies? Just curious, how many other Republicans are there here?

The opposite of Republican is Democrat.
The opposite of filthy hippie is capitalist pig.

Why, thank you. I'd much rather be a capitalist pig than a filthy hippie.

zozzles

xxchange wrote:Nice. Who's bumper sticker did you steal that from?

Didn't just steal the bumper sticker. Stole the entire bumper. Driving around that town without bumpers is illegal.

zozzles

xxchange wrote:Why, thank you. I'd much rather be a capitalist pig than a filthy hippie.

And just remember, some capitalist pigs are 'more equal' than others (Animal Farm).

nursedawn

xxchange wrote:Why, thank you. I'd much rather be a capitalist pig than a filthy hippie.

You're welcome.

we3bus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages we3bus

The graphic on on this shirt is more about buskers.

Not all hippies are dirty, and most aren't street performers.

I dislike this generation's South Park attitude towards "Hippies".

zozzles

Hey - I'd much RATHER be a filthy rich capitalist pig hippie than any of those!

xxchange

zozzles wrote:And just remember, some capitalist pigs are 'more equal' than others (Animal Farm).

Those are not capitalist pigs. Those are come see the violence inherent in the system! (also known as f a s c i s t) pigs. Big difference.

xxchange

zozzles wrote:Hey - I'd much RATHER be a filthy rich capitalist pig hippie than any of those!

I wish you luck on your quest to achieve such a state.

zozzles

xxchange wrote:Those are not capitalist pigs. Those are come see the violence inherent in the system! (also known as f a s c i s t) pigs. Big difference.

The word-transmogrifier has gone mad. How about "There's some LOVELY muck over here!"

djcutnpaste

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djcutnpaste

I'm from Olympia, Washington and we've got all those hippie-greeners over at Evergreen State. This will be perfect to wear while strolling around the campus. I'm in for one!

nursedawn

Even though I'm a clean(ish) hippie, I can appreciate the shirt design and take no offense as I feel that none was intended. I think I'll git me one of them there shirts.

TheMadMule

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TheMadMule

Simply hilarious! I'll be very surprised if this shirt doesn't sell out by the end of today.

0hsnap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0hsnap

meh. i very much enjoyed the write-up yet the shirt not so much. it was lacking...

DrkRonin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DrkRonin

..i rushed home from the ER for this.. (angry face!)
shame i cant steal the money outa that case to pay to get my arm put back on. -_-

(just kidding.. about stealing the money atleast.)

AMUSIX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AMUSIX
xxchange wrote:"Stop, children, what’s that smell? Everybody here just reeks like hell"

Let's make this the longest awful poem in the world!

Um, my part:

"The rats in the sewer have run away
Because they can't stand the scent of apcray"

Now fill in your parts, and just keep going!

(Seriously. I'm gonna feel real stupid if nobody else participates.)

I'm trying real hard, but I can't figure out where your lines are supposed to fit into the song. Were they intended to?

oh, and just in case you weren't aware..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M_Ttstbgs&feature=related

mamastowe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mamastowe
jewelwing wrote:Aw, SWEET! Thanks so much for the votes, voters. Since hippies and non-hippies both seemed to dig it, maybe this will be the thing to finally bring peace and love to both sides. Or maybe it's just a shirt. Whatever.

Woot guys - "Stop, children, what's that smell..." That is complete awesomeness. I'm still laughing from that bit.

Jewelwing - I'm vacationing in Pisgah Forest this weekend. And I've seen tons of filthy hippies! Now i know where you got your inspiration.
Going to my first Asheville drum circle tonight. Too bad I don't have one of these shirts to wear.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik

I don't think I'll be picking up any from this derby, but this is my favorite of the three SDS is predicting to print.

JW, congrats on the win. Your "tap water" shirt has a regular slot in my tee rotation. People really seem to get a kick out of that one

MarcosElMalo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages MarcosElMalo

Remember kids, the smellier the hippy, the bigger the trust fund. (See also: Trustafarians)

Vegan

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Vegan
tmoritz wrote:this shirt embrangles. as a jam band follower i find it extremely not funny. just because you're from a "hippie" area doesn't mean you're going to be "cool" for wearing it around town.

You see, the point of the shirt is to annoy people like you.

I'm in for one. Can't wait.

shaneberto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaneberto

First shirt I've bought here in ages. Wearing it around Berkeley will be fun, I can't wait.

SkippyFlipjack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SkippyFlipjack
xxchange wrote:Since when was Woot such a community of hippies? Just curious, how many other Republicans are there here?

I'M SO ALONE.

WOOT tends to skew young. Young people tend not to be Republican. Woot tends to not skew Republican.

SkippyFlipjack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SkippyFlipjack
tmoritz wrote:this shirt embrangles. as a jam band follower i find it extremely not funny. just because you're from a "hippie" area doesn't mean you're going to be "cool" for wearing it around town.

This shirt pisses off everyone who uses the word "embrangles".

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Congrats JewelWing! This is a really nice looking design.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I don't get it.

Why would anyone name their band after these unkept creatures?

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict
SkippyFlipjack wrote:This shirt pisses off everyone who uses the word "embrangles".

Seriously? You've been around for 2 and 1/2 years and don't understand the word filters in the woot forums?

As for the shirt, I love it, and would have bought it if it had been on almost any other color. But really? Black in the midst of summer? It's been 90+ here for two weeks now. Don't want to smell like I'm part of the band!

Edit: Oh who am I kidding? I can't resist such a great design. I'll just wait to wear it when the weather changes.

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.