1%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

fusionofme

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fusionofme

YES!

Nothing says Independence Day quite like an infinite number.

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady

I only buy Pi's in Apple or Pumpkin flavor!

LTaco

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LTaco

Looks like a pi-douken.

philiparthurmoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philiparthurmoore

I was really hoping that today's shirt would be July 4th related.

DrkRonin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DrkRonin

"we dont stop playing until the numbers run out"

Damn, must be nice having that kinda funding in this economy

lefaikao

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lefaikao
LTaco wrote:Looks like a pi-douken.

wow, i couldn't have said it any better :-D

misterpookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages misterpookie

I wonder if by commenting on this early, I will be somehow poked fun of in the Discussion section.

And I think this is clever, but I'm just not really into math. In fact, I loathe math. This is still good though.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik

Let the drama begin! This should be a fun thread

I don't really think this makes a great shirt, but I _do_ like the pi joke. Don't judge--I can't help being born the way I was (ie, a nerd).

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

Whenever I see this, I think... this...

which is why I can't buy it.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

I already have Pi By Numbers so I don't really need another pi shirt, especially since my closet is full of woot shirts already.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

I swear that's the face of Jesus in the circle; or is it Jason Toon? (way past my bedtime). Congrats on the print, ensmind.

edit: and bad on the insults.

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

ccihon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccihon

um, like the punny cranberry apple pie bake-offs angle, woot - way to ca$h in!

xxchange

I'm surprised nobody's seriously made a PIE joke yet.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

thejakeyl88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages thejakeyl88

It has been a while since I really wanted a shirt in a derby, and I knew it would take a shirt that was infinitely awesome before I'd buy a derby shirt again. Score.

The colors are right, the design is pretty unique and follows nothing I've seen before. Aside from the bottom saying what it does, you probably wouldn't guess it to be a band shirt, regardless if it is a made up one or not.

I really dig blue/white shirt combos. Blue and white has been the school colors of every single school I've been to, so its just embedded into my brain for... Uh, an infinite amount of time.

Infinity is pretty sweet, so isn't pi. Infinity is infinite, so isn't pi, so this shirt is not only a paradox, but it somehow makes me think I can create an eternity of infinitely infinite PI shirt awesomeness. I'll try to wrap my head around that one, and read the rest of the comments, albeit my mind being in an eternal, infinite paradox of a conundrum which thankfully I'll never run out of music since this band will keep on playing forever.

If I don't see you no more in this world, I betcha on the next one you'll know me! Don't be late!

imsochady

I don't know why people think Pi as geeky. I mean, pretty much everyone has used it ever since some elementary school math homework needed an area of a circle to be solved. So I don't think it's as exclusive as, say, a Mobius strip or the summation sign.

imsochady

xxchange wrote:I'm surprised nobody's seriously made a PIE joke yet.

Check my comment. The 2nd one I think. Booyah!

xxchange

imsochady wrote:Check my comment. The 2nd one I think. Booyah!

Wow, stupid moment. I'd actually read your comment already but didn't make the connection! I am now hitting my head against the wall. Don't worry, I'm just ashamed of myself.

IndependentVik

imsochady wrote:I don't know why people think Pi as geeky. I mean, pretty much everyone has used it ever since some elementary school math homework needed an area of a circle to be solved. So I don't think it's as exclusive as, say, a Mobius strip or the summation sign.

It's geeky b/c, even though everyone has used it, only geeks care about it

eHalcyon

imsochady wrote:I don't know why people think Pi as geeky. I mean, pretty much everyone has used it ever since some elementary school math homework needed an area of a circle to be solved. So I don't think it's as exclusive as, say, a Mobius strip or the summation sign.

Mobius strips aren't geeky. We made them in elementary school. Try KLEIN BOTTLES.

imsochady

xxchange wrote:Wow, stupid moment. I'd actually read your comment already but didn't make the connection! I am now hitting my head against the wall. Don't worry, I'm just ashamed of myself.

Hahaha

xxchange

imsochady wrote:Hahaha

You're not helping my self-esteem.

nbouscal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
IndependentVik wrote:Let the drama begin! This should be a fun thread

Looks like woot is already on top of making sure this thread isn't any fun at all. Oh well.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist

Oh man, oh man. Woot is TOTALLY after comments on this shirt. To the extreme.

I will say that I don't think there is anything that says band shirt about this at all. I mean, there's the text at the bottom, but that could just as easily be several other things other than a band playing music. I think there were better entries that were at least slightly related to music more in a way that wasn't "music involves some math".

I think the addition of the digits of pi is going to be illegible in parts and muddles and busies the rest of it in a way that isn't necessary. It'd be just as strong without the numbers worked into the design. Or if you had made the design OUT of the numbers instead of adding them as a retooling afterthought. As for "Infinite Pi" I assume this was a way around hitting a band name that already existed, but I think it's redundant at best to anyone that knows what's going on anyway.

I mean, I think this design could have been retooled into something great. I doubt it would have lost any support and it would have probably gained some as well.

EDIT:

That said, I think an artist's ability to respond to criticism or blatant attacks says a lot about them in the long run. I'm not saying grin and bear it, but go look at the impassioned response to Adder in the Clue Cats entry thread. The artist didn't have to drop down to his level or engage Adder and even go beyond what was proportional to Adder's posts.

Heck, I'd say if Adder is starting after you based on the designs I've seen him comment on, you're doing something right as far as getting up in the derby goes, although we all know how he feels about that.

So, check out the design entry thread if you care about that sort of stuff at all. Apparently Woot isn't going to let such discussion fly here.

nbouscal

My main problem with this shirt is that a casual observer would probably not get that it's a fake band t-shirt. Like mentioned before, it looks much more like a math club t-shirt or something like that. On top of that, the design itself is pretty weak. There's really very little aesthetic value to the art. The pixelation is clearly intentional, yet I find that I really dislike the end result and would prefer it to have been done in a different style. And really, I don't get why people want to wear a shirt about pi. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who did math competitions from 3rd grade until graduating high school, so it's not like I don't understand the concept. I used to have the number memorized out to like 20 digits. It just doesn't belong on a t-shirt, especially when it's printing over some much, much better designs.

konkonsn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages konkonsn
thejakeyl88 wrote:Infinity is pretty sweet, so isn't pi. Infinity is infinite, so isn't pi, so this shirt is not only a paradox, but it somehow makes me think I can create an eternity of infinitely infinite PI shirt awesomeness. I'll try to wrap my head around that one, and read the rest of the comments, albeit my mind being in an eternal, infinite paradox of a conundrum which thankfully I'll never run out of music since this band will keep on playing forever.

Actually, I think infinite pi is just redundant. Which is why I can't buy this shirt...my English mates will make fun of me.

eHalcyon

nbouscal wrote:My main problem with this shirt is that a casual observer would probably not get that it's a fake band t-shirt. Like mentioned before, it looks much more like a math club t-shirt or something like that. On top of that, the design itself is pretty weak. There's really very little aesthetic value to the art. The pixelation is clearly intentional, yet I find that I really dislike the end result and would prefer it to have been done in a different style. And really, I don't get why people want to wear a shirt about pi. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who did math competitions from 3rd grade until graduating high school, so it's not like I don't understand the concept. I used to have the number memorized out to like 20 digits. It just doesn't belong on a t-shirt, especially when it's printing over some much, much better designs.

My friend had something like 80... I never bothered going past 3.14159.

IndependentVik

nbouscal wrote:My main problem with this shirt is that a casual observer would probably not get that it's a fake band t-shirt.

That's my chief problem as well. It didn't really hit me until the mockup was on the front page, and I saw how it barely seemed to relate to music without the derby comp's add'l text.

nbouscal

eHalcyon wrote:My friend had something like 80... I never bothered going past 3.14159.

Just tested myself and I still have it out to 27 digits after the decimal point. Weird how I can remember pointless stuff like that but can't remember to buy bread when I'm at the supermarket. Sigh.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
HeartlineTwist wrote:
So, check out the design entry thread if you care about that sort of stuff at all. Apparently Woot isn't going to let such discussion fly here.

Which is BS! The comments that have been deleted haven't openly attacked the designer; they have commented on his behavior during the derby. I am seriously disappointing in the censoring that is happening.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

nbouscal

kylemittskus wrote:Which is BS! The comments that have been deleted haven't openly attacked the designer; they have commented on his behavior during the derby. I am seriously disappointing in the censoring that is happening.

Well, okay, one of my comments openly attacked the designer. :P But I agree, the level of censorship is a wee bit over the top. I just hope that people read the derby thread before buying. Not that I understand why anyone wants to buy it in the first place.

RadicalPrefect

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RadicalPrefect
IndependentVik wrote:That's my chief problem as well. It didn't really hit me until the mockup was on the front page, and I saw how it barely seemed to relate to music without the derby comp's add'l text.

Yaknow...I have a few *real* band shirts, and if you didn't know the band in question, you wouldn't know they were real band shirts either.

So my question is...what is supposed to make a fake band shirt a fake band shirt?

ZMacsai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZMacsai
eHalcyon wrote:My friend had something like 80... I never bothered going past 3.14159.

Ive got ~100 digits now and at any time, but at my peak, I had 235 digits memorized.

nbouscal

RadicalPrefect wrote:Yaknow...I have a few *real* band shirts, and if you didn't know the band in question, you wouldn't know they were real band shirts either.

So my question is...what is supposed to make a fake band shirt a fake band shirt?

The thing about real band shirts is, usually people are familiar with the band, so the shirt can be less obviously a band shirt and count on fan recognition anyway. With a fake band shirt, you really have to make sure that it's clear that it's a band shirt, otherwise it's just... a shirt. Good examples of how to do this from the derby would be yesterday's print and the cowbell shirt (much as I hate how overdone it was). Also good in that regard were The Sex Drugs, Eucalyptus Melancholy, and The Space Crabs (though that one looked a bit more like a B movie poster :P). With all of those shirts, a casual observer would be quick to recognize that it was a fake band shirt. With today's print, I doubt many people will have a clue.

eHalcyon

ZMacsai wrote:Ive got ~100 digits now and at any time, but at my peak, I had 235 digits memorized.

But can you recite the digits of pi BACKWARDS? I challenge you!

IndependentVik

RadicalPrefect wrote:Yaknow...I have a few *real* band shirts, and if you didn't know the band in question, you wouldn't know they were real band shirts either.

You actually bring up a perfectly valid point. I guess my only response to that is that I feel like a fake band shirt should try much harder to _look_ like a band shirt. Whether through font or art style having to do with a specific music genre's conventions (there were a lot of metal shirts that fit this description in the derby) or some kind of depiction of actual music-making, take your pick.

I feel like a fake band shirt should ape or parody some of the common conventions you see for band shirts (take the cowbell one--it apes the "tour shirt" concept).

Let me end with two hypothetical scenarios. If you're wearing a real band's shirt that doesn't look like a band's shirt, if someone asks you what the deal is w/ your shirt you can say, "oh, wow, this is my favorite band--you should check them out." If someone asks you what the deal is with your fake band shirt that doesn't look like a band shirt, otoh, you're left with, "oh, this a band shirt . . . for a band that doesn't exist." I dunno, it just leaves the wearer looking goofy, imho.

This may or may not be totally just me, btw. YMMV.

IndependentVik

ZMacsai wrote:Ive got ~100 digits now and at any time, but at my peak, I had 235 digits memorized.

I have all of you beat. I have it memorized to pi decimal places.

nbouscal

IndependentVik wrote:I have all of you beat. I have it memorized to pi decimal places.

"Three point one four one f..."

xxchange

I would like to kill whoever invented pi.

So if you know who he is, please give me his name and social security number. The jerk has it coming.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
nbouscal wrote:Well, okay, one of my comments openly attacked the designer. :P But I agree, the level of censorship is a wee bit over the top. I just hope that people read the derby thread before buying. Not that I understand why anyone wants to buy it in the first place.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did some name-calling, but only the exact same thing they call us to the left of this reply box where it says "Yeah! You Tell 'Em". If Woot can call us a name, we should be able to call the designers the same name.