+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You know how we keep telling you that you’ll see each week’s Honorable Mentions again in our next Double-Take Derby? Well, here it is, the second hurrah for the also-rans from Derbies #92 and #94-104. Our moderators will be resting their rejecting fingers and loading up on electrolytes, but you designers should sketch up your entries for the special super-special Derby we’ll be running after this one (details below). Spoiler alert: it’s our first non-t-shirt Derby…

Designers: if you sold or submitted your Honorable Mention design elsewhere, or opted out of including your design in the Double-Take Derby, email us at shirt@woot.com by noon tomorrow and let us know. Any design found for sale, having sold, or submitted to another site for voting will not be eligible for the Double-Take Derby and will be removed from consideration.

You’ll definitely want an early start wrapping your head around our next Derby:

Derby #107: Bags

Don’t get us wrong, we love our Shirt.Woot bag. But we have needs. Needs that might be better met in an open-bag relationship. Could you be one of those special someones who designs the shirt package of our dreams? Could this be the chance to realize your commercial package design dreams? Well, let’s both of us stop dreaming, because there’s some weird stuff you gotta keep in mind for this one.

• All submissions must use our bag template, in AI, EPS, or PSD format.
  • Designs can use only three ink colors: black, Shirt.Woot blue, and Shirt.Woot yellow.
  • The bag must be white.
  • Designs must incorporate our exclamation-point mark, included in each template. This can be scaled but not stretched, skewed, or otherwise altered. The exclamation point must be white on a solid background of black, Shirt.Woot blue, or Shirt.Woot yellow.
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will receive a flat fee of $1000 and no commissions.
  • You will be credited by name on the printed bags. Do not use the strip across the top of the template, which is set aside for this purpose.
  • We’re not necessarily looking for Shirt.Woot-themed designs. Do whatever, as long as it includes our mark and follows all the other rules, for this Derby and the Derby in general.
  • We reserve the right to reject entries that don’t meet our standards or reflect on our company in ways we don’t like. We’ll be sending these bags to thousands of people for a long time to come, so we have in an interest in them not being too crappy, obnoxious, or stupid.
  • Derby #107 opens for entries at noon on Friday, August 7.

All those rules for a work of art that will be thrown away by everybody who gets it? That’s commerce for you.

lizperez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizperez

wow, I'm excited =D
I'm curious as to what people will come up with...

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop

How interesting! I'm excited too!! :D

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne

Ohh...very cool upcoming derby!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Oh this will be interesting for sure.

I especially enjoy this rule:

We reserve the right to reject entries that don’t meet our standards or reflect on our company in ways we don’t like. We’ll be sending these bags to thousands of people for a long time to come, so we have in an interest in them not being too crappy, obnoxious, or stupid.

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm

My commerce dreams can finally be fulfilled!

EDIT: Plugs for my Double-Take entries:

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu

Way to pull out something new and surprise me, woot! Yay, this will be fun, even though I'm sure I'll still get slaughtered.

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

therealchadsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therealchadsmith

Man...... idk about this crazy sauce.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Interesting idea! This is the first sanctioned woot-based design contest in what, 95 derbies?

And to think that they'll print hundreds of thousands of this!

Me on it, since I have nothing to pimp for in the double-taker.

EDIT: In case anyone designing a bag is interested, CyberPub is open for discussions here.

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois

So does that mean that they're not going to be using the old ones anymore? It kinda makes me wish I had kept one...

I guess it's not too late!

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

Really interesting new contest. Plus I will have 2 great entries in the double-take derby! TBH I wasn't looking forward to doing a design this week, lol.

I wonder how ECs will work for the bag derby. Wouldn't really make sense for them to show up in the Double-take. EC = insta-print?

EDIT: Wait, I think the important question is... What will actually go on SALE that weekend? A curated shirt design from the designer? Just more dailies?

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick

Text is... allowed?

majamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majamer

ok, someone should do the exclamation point white, the circle around it yellow, and the background black. keep it simple, it'll look awesome.

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
dankstick wrote:Text is... allowed?

That's what I am wondering. They said usual rules apply, however, they have allowed text in some derbies. I don't know that "No Text" counts as a usual rule. Woot, please clarify!

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
kdubbs29 wrote:That's what I am wondering. They said usual rules apply, however, they have allowed text in some derbies. I don't know that "No Text" counts as a usual rule. Woot, please clarify!

Oh, and what kind of a bag is it??? Is it one of those canvas "we're good for the earth" type of bags?

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
omnitarian wrote:

EDIT: Wait, I think the important question is... What will actually go on SALE that weekend? A curated shirt design from the designer? Just more dailies?

More "Editors Choice" designs from the double-take derby?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
kdubbs29 wrote:Oh, and what kind of a bag is it??? Is it one of those canvas "we're good for the earth" type of bags?

I am pretty sure it's the white plastic sack you get your shirts shipped in, not a canvas bag.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

kdubbs29 wrote:Oh, and what kind of a bag is it??? Is it one of those canvas "we're good for the earth" type of bags?

I assume they mean the plastic bags the shirts are shipped in.

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Awesome. Now I wonder if Woot will ever have other non-shirt derbies in the future.

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

EDIT: may as well advertise my HM.

Normscoffee

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Normscoffee

Some BBQ better win this time. That shirt was awesome.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

Coolness! I get to participate on this one right after finals. YAY! :D
Did they say if there's any comission??? ==EDIT.. awwwwww... no comissions :/

tgentry

Staff

illuminator wrote:Coolness! I get to participate on this one right after finals. YAY! :D
Did they say if there's any comission??? ==EDIT.. awwwwww... no comissions :/

$2 for every shirt they ship, you'd be able to retire.

JadenKale

tgentry wrote:$2 for every shirt they ship, you'd be able to retire.

No doubt... I'd be up for that! ;)

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13

are you guys sure this is the white sack the shirts get shipped in and not a "green earth" sustainable bag that would be for sale for eternity like woot tee that is always available?

Happy Beer.

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick

The Illustrator template tells me..

-printable area is 13.375 x 11.0234 inches.
-Blue is PMS 307 C
-Yellow is PMS 123 C

JadenKale

jabberjaws13 wrote:are you guys sure this is the white sack the shirts get shipped in and not a "green earth" sustainable bag that would be for sale for eternity like woot tee that is always available?

yes. It's the same plastic bag they always use.

dankstick wrote:The Illustrator template tells me..

-printable area is 13.375 x 11.0234 inches.
-Blue is PMS 307 C
-Yellow is PMS 123 C

My question is, how are we to present this for the derby? Is there a blank we can present it on to show placement?

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
tgentry wrote:$2 for every shirt they ship, you'd be able to retire.

No kidding... I'd even take 50¢!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Woo hoo, that's a relief it's a double-take derby because I am sooo busy the next few days. Thanks for the reprieve woot!;)

Edit: Ok, since everyone is posting their HMs further down, here's mine...
"Now What?"

Vote!

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Designing the new bag?? Awesome!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

sarahdodendorf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahdodendorf
illuminator wrote:No kidding... I'd even take 50¢!

"1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will receive a flat fee of $1000 and no commissions."

there is no $2 per bag that just counts for the tshirts

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
illuminator wrote:No kidding... I'd even take 50¢!

given the cost of making/procuring packaging, even at $.02 a bag (which is reasonable) you would make $50 in the event of a sellout, which is more rare than a unicorn these days. to be fair, assume on average that woot sells 2000 tees per day through dailies and reckonings. one week of work could yield you $14k per year until the design changed again. now that would be sweet.

Happy Beer.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
noisdois wrote:So does that mean that they're not going to be using the old ones anymore? It kinda makes me wish I had kept one...

I guess it's not too late!

I have the birthday shirt with the bag design, so I'm good.

Shigwarm wrote:More "Editors Choice" designs from the double-take derby?

I hope so!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

tgentry

Staff

Well I think I have four in for the redo derby this time...

There's my promotion, and I'll see you all next week! Best of luck everyone.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific

And I'm guessing wrap-around designs are a no no.

Still, w00t. :D

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
JadenKale wrote:Oh this will be interesting for sure.

I especially enjoy this rule:
We reserve the right to reject entries that don’t meet our standards or reflect on our company in ways we don’t like. We’ll be sending these bags to thousands of people for a long time to come, so we have in an interest in them not being too crappy, obnoxious, or stupid.

Given their history of favoritism I can see them rejecting everything that is even remotely well designed and executed in favor of whatever shiny anime desu ramy can deffecate into the submission form. Look for this rule to help nothing.

I mostly want to know what they'll be selling because something has to come in the bag (doesn't it)? Given the debacle with the chimp design they don't seem to have a lot of randoms left so if not what else could they do?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 7 Private Messages benjaminleebates
JadenKale wrote:My question is, how are we to present this for the derby? Is there a blank we can present it on to show placement?

I'm assuming we are to use the templates that they provide in the description of this derby, embellishments for the comp should be acceptable... I would hope.

bellarific

sailormoontsu wrote:Way to pull out something new and surprise me, woot! Yay, this will be fun, even though I'm sure I'll still get slaughtered.

Hey hey now, that's not the spirit we need!

Let's put the "woo" back in woot, folks! Onward!

bellarific

mrwednesday wrote:Given their history of favoritism I can see them rejecting everything that is even remotely well designed and executed in favor of whatever shiny anime desu ramy can deffecate into the submission form. Look for this rule to help nothing.

I mostly want to know what they'll be selling because something has to come in the bag (doesn't it)? Given the debacle with the chimp design they don't seem to have a lot of randoms left so if not what else could they do?

Maybe a shirt with the design on it?

cantstopthesignal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cantstopthesignal

So who will be the first one with a scrotum in the design???