JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
benjaminleebates wrote:I'm assuming we are to use the templates that they provide in the description of this derby, embellishments for the comp should be acceptable... I would hope.

Typically, I'd say yes, but I'd like to see how it would look on the actual bag. Plus, I've learned not to assume when it comes to woot.

Barnhill5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barnhill5

Can anyone post a pic of the existing Woot bag?

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
bellarific wrote:Maybe a shirt with the design on it?

This is entirely possible which might be why they didn't provide a bag blank for the comp because designers should be putting it on a shirt.

krouth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth
mrwednesday wrote:Given their history of favoritism I can see them rejecting everything that is even remotely well designed and executed in favor of whatever shiny anime desu ramy can deffecate into the submission form. Look for this rule to help nothing.

That's a little harsh, isn't it?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 7 Private Messages benjaminleebates
krouth wrote:That's a little harsh, isn't it?

That's just his way! Like AdderXYU, but with more venom and less concrete examples...
LOL
Just a joke, don't stone me, man!

benjaminleebates

JadenKale wrote:Typically, I'd say yes, but I'd like to see how it would look on the actual bag. Plus, I've learned not to assume when it comes to woot.

True that, true that.
And yes, now I see what you mean, yeah...
http://www.t-shirttalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/packaging-shirtwoot.jpg
Is this the bag?

mrwednesday

benjaminleebates wrote:True that, true that.
And yes, now I see what you mean, yeah...
http://www.t-shirttalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/packaging-shirtwoot.jpg
Is this the bag?

Come on now. You've bought at least one shirt (maybe). Shouldn't you have seen it?

krouth wrote:That's a little harsh, isn't it?

On woot or ramy? They've both worked very hard to create their reputations so why dance around the issue?

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

I'm actually working on a couple ideas with my collaborator... This will be a first entry from either of us.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

hell0jed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hell0jed

Is text kosher or not? I'm gonna assume not.

This seems fun, picking the colors for me means one less thing I could screw up.

benjaminleebates

mrwednesday wrote:Come on now. You've bought at least one shirt (maybe). Shouldn't you have seen it?

ahem, er, uh, well, yeah, sure, but I um, rather it was a gif~t, yeah, that's it, and um, it was already out of the bag when it was given to me, yeah, that it... sure.
Do you think they bought it...
Shut up, they can still see what you're typing.
OOPS.
gawd, Dr. Clayton Forrester!
*thumps forehead*

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
benjaminleebates wrote:That's just his way! Like AdderXYU, but with more venom and less concrete examples...
LOL
Just a joke, don't stone me, man!

Frankly, I'm with Adder's POV on this. If you notice, Ramy and Seki don't tend to get HM's with whatever they create that doesn't make it. I'd rather see something incredibly creative get the $1k. I mean, what do you people care? By the same rule as people who defend shiny desu: "It's just a bag. It'll be thrown out."

*note 'don't tend to'. I know a couple of them have received HM's but as a general rule, they aren't the art directors' favorites by a long shot.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

I predict a lot of...

"I Want One!" logos.

imsochady

quality posts: 28 Private Messages imsochady

Hahaha, this is hilarious. I have a couple of their bags on my desk, and every time I see it I say, "They could use a new design for that bag." And here we are!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

I assume the bag will not be printed on their screenprinting presses. So, that means we could do TRUE gradients, right?

benjaminleebates

JadenKale wrote:Frankly, I'm with Adder's POV on this. If you notice, Ramy and Seki don't tend to get HM's with whatever they create that doesn't make it. I'd rather see something incredibly creative get the $1k. I mean, what do you people care? By the same rule as people who defend shiny desu: "It's just a bag. It'll be thrown out."

*note 'don't tend to'. I know a couple of them have received HM's but as a general rule, they aren't the art directors' favorites by a long shot.

I don't mean to sound trite or sycophantic; but I tend to align my thinking with adder and Jaden more times than not. It's just I haven't been around long enough to really notice the trends, but their not really the types to spit out accusation without evidence.
I think talent and cleverness of concept should be weighed equally. However, if one is in the negative it should pull down the other.
HM are tricky because they are just personal favs, whether it is due to like the people, the design, or whatever, it is still totally their call without question. It's like picking your team in gym class. Even if your best friend leaps into the vacuum, you still have to pick them.

therealchadsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therealchadsmith
thatrobert wrote:I assume the bag will not be printed on their screenprinting presses. So, that means we could do TRUE gradients, right?

thats a genius question, is this correct a mundo?

spentfromnz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spentfromnz

Sweet! a chance to get Hanauma Bay or I Heart Your Mom printed.

homesluice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homesluice
thatrobert wrote:I assume the bag will not be printed on their screenprinting presses. So, that means we could do TRUE gradients, right?

They said general derby rules apply so no, if we were to go by those rules

though you bring up a good point that's worth their attention

freiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freiz

Nice. Looks like I've got one of my own in for a second chance at votes.

I'm excited to see all the Honorable Mentions in this derby posted together and ready for a re-vote.

Now to think about that bag...

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

:O

My return to the derby is going to be a super-special bag design contest for which I already have an idea and a "sketch" of sorts? Oh man! This should be fun. :D

Also, glad to see the forums haven't changed a bit in the last few months during my extended absence. ;)

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig

Whoah... sounds fun.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

imsochady

How about the words "Shirt.Woot!" in there?

benjaminleebates

imsochady wrote:How about the words "Shirt.Woot!" in there?

That'll already be at the bottom, judging by the previous bags...

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13

i am dum.....b, stone me if you like, but what does "shiny desu" mean?

i've been buying for over a year, but a noob to the boards.

please explain in cliff notes version. thank you.

Happy Beer.

lizperez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizperez

I haven't bought a shirt from Woot, but I've had them gifted to me twice.
Can someone post pictures of what the current/previous bags have looked like? =)

jabberjaws13 wrote:i am dum.....b, stone me if you like, but what does "shiny desu" mean?

i've been buying for over a year, but a noob to the boards.

please explain in cliff notes version. thank you.

"Shiny desu" means "shiny cute". "Desu" is "cute" in Japanese, sometimes in an insulting manner (at least in this case), and whoever said that was mocking ramy's uber "desu" designs.

imsochady

benjaminleebates wrote:That'll already be at the bottom, judging by the previous bags...

I measured the design area of the actual bag including the words "shirt.woot!" and it's the same size as the template they gave us. Unless of course they'll be using a bigger bag which already has the "shirt.woot!" on it.

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
lizperez wrote:I haven't bought a shirt from Woot, but I've had them gifted to me twice.
Can someone post pictures of what the current/previous bags have looked like? =)

"Shiny desu" means "shiny cute". "Desu" is "cute" in Japanese, sometimes in an insulting manner (at least in this case), and whoever said that was mocking ramy's uber "desu" designs.

Someone else already posted the bag:
Link herezzzyay!

acobjoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acobjoe

Hey everyone, I hope this is helpful to you. I made a blank comp psd from a woot bag that I hadn't thrown out yet. It's complete with shading and a rough print area. Here's a screenshot of the comp:

And here's a link to the zipped psd.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Here's my list of HM entries. I think I have the list right... It's longer than I expected. (yeah, yeah, I know. she is reported to have said that)

My favorites are "Roasted Snacks" and "Absent Friends" - 2 of my favs ever, in fact. So look for them and vote if you like too.

imsochady

lizperez wrote:I haven't bought a shirt from Woot, but I've had them gifted to me twice.

I took Japanese in college because my friend said it was easy (not!) and remembered being asked, "Onamae wa nan desu ka?" And I answered, "Onamae wa Chad desu." Hahaha,

mrwednesday

jewelwing wrote:Here's my list of HM entries. I think I have the list right... It's longer than I expected. (yeah, yeah, I know. she is reported to have said that)

My favorites are "Roasted Snacks" and "Absent Friends" - 2 of my favs ever, in fact. So look for them and vote if you like too.

[url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=32034]

This was one of my absolute favorites from that derby and it was really disappointed it couldn't make the final push. Hopefully it does well this time around.

edit: Ditto for Josephus' shirt below me.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

This is almost certainly to be my only entry in the double-take this time.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

I've got two designs that I liked, but I think may have slipped through the cracks first time around. (Or maybe they just ain't derby-winning material!) Please wish them luck in round 2:

and

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
jewelwing wrote:Here's my list of HM entries. I think I have the list right... It's longer than I expected. (yeah, yeah, I know. she is reported to have said that)

Dang, you've had some awesome designs! I don't think I even saw some of them (the home one is my fav!) GL

jabberjaws13

imsochady wrote:I took Japanese in college because my friend said it was easy (not!) and remembered being asked, "Onamae wa nan desu ka?" And I answered, "Onamae wa Chad desu." Hahaha,

i have no idea what that means.

Happy Beer.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

I HATE DOUBLE-TAKE DERBIES!! Woot never allows me to join in the reindeer games, and that upsets me. Stop being such a killjoy Woot!

jabberjaws13

i missed some of these the first time around. i really like the campfire story and diving helmet one. good luck!

Happy Beer.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
rglee129 wrote:Dang, you've had some awesome designs! I don't think I even saw some of them (the home one is my fav!) GL

Thanks Robbie (and mrwednesday too)! Yours are awesome too. I love your railroad robot, I'll be looking for him.

imsochady

jabberjaws13 wrote:i have no idea what that means.

It just says, "What is your name?" And I answered, "My name is Chad." But I don't think "desu" means cute in those sentences .

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu

These are my two HMs that made it for the derby.

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.