AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
We reserve the right to reject entries that don’t meet our standards or reflect on our company in ways we don’t like. We’ll be sending these bags to thousands of people for a long time to come, so we have in an interest in them not being too crappy, obnoxious, or stupid.

PLEASE MAKE THIS A RULE ALL THE TIME

gr3ygoos3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gr3ygoos3
gr3ygoos3 wrote:This is completly off topic, but I have sent numerous times asking If they would ever consider using longsleeve shirts for people living in the colder climates in the winter..... It also will open up a HUGE oppurtunity to designers to use the sleeves in their shirts. I'm sure American Apparel has the correct shirt.woot colors to acomadate the long sleeve idea. If anyone agrees with me either send me a messge or just reply here.

Thanks.

Brandon

So maybe this post was a complete wast of my time. I STILL think it's a good idea……….

I have 2 favorite baseball teams. the Red Sox and ANYONE who beats the Yankees!!!!!!!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
SailorButterfly wrote:It's different for me every time I go to the page.
Trying sorting by votes and then by date again.
Maybe your browser is caching the page or something.

Thanks for the answer... I didn't change anything or clear my cache, but it seems to have changed itself... now the default is set to random, and even if I change to date it still looks like it's random... so guess something changed!
Thanks.

Vote!

AdderXYU

gr3ygoos3 wrote:So maybe this post was a complete wast of my time. I STILL think it's a good idea……….

Using the sleeves would be really not that huge an opportunity. Especially since woot probably wouldn't allow them to be used, given their normal placement rules and the added difficulties of printing on sleeves.

And economically, you can always wear tshirts with an overshirt, but you can't wear a longsleeve in the summer. Long Sleeve only makes sense as an additional option, and as such likely would never be profitable enough to be worth it. I think woot should most definitely print more DESIGNS for the sake of awesome as opposed to profitable, but I cannot begrudge them for not adding new PRODUCT that won't be profitable enough.

Except for Kids tees. I definitely begrudge them that brilliant idea, and the shattered remains of a site it has left behind.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
AdderXYU wrote:Except for Kids tees. I definitely begrudge them that brilliant idea, and the shattered remains of a site it has left behind.

if the kids tees are what made woot what it is today, how about two derbies, one exclusively for kids tees and one exclusively not? sell adult designs (on adult-only sizes) friday and saturday, the kid one on sunday.

AdderXYU

no1 wrote:if the kids tees are what made woot what it is today, how about two derbies, one exclusively for kids tees and one exclusively not? sell adult designs (on adult-only sizes) friday and saturday, the kid one on sunday.

Or they could simply stop selling kids tees.

Kids stain and tear and brutalize clothing, and because they are still doing all their growing, they grow out of clothes way quick. Kids do not need designer tees. And while most of the designs here are pretty cancellation to start with, that is technically what woot sells. (Mostly) exclusive, (sometimes) original designs, commissioned by designers, on high quality, designer blanks.

If you look at, say, Threadless (the only other tee site I can think of to regularly offer kids sizes, because kids sizes are a dumb idea), they only select the most kid-friendly designs to print in kids sizes. But again, as always, they SELECT the designs based on votes, comments, quality, etc. People can give a design a $5 thinking of their kid, but they don't know that there will ever be a kid size offered, so it is pointless. And even if 1000 moms come in voting for their kid's wardrobe (man, what a mom if she'll spend $18 on a shirt that will be outgrown in a year!) Threadless can not only decide not to print the tee in kid's sizes, they can choose never to print it at all. At woot, if someone sees a shirt their kid might want, it contributes to the overall score. And things end up printing because of a demographic that cannot even buy, or judge quality.

Which isn't to say woot voters who are adults have impeccable taste... look at the siting posts at any nerd-con, and what are people wearing? Ugly nerdshirts. But bringing in kids sizes was a pointless move designed to grab even more money, and it has irreparably harmed the derby.

no1

AdderXYU wrote:Or they could simply stop selling kids tees.

[blabbedy blabbedy blah snipped]

Which isn't to say woot voters who are adults have impeccable taste... look at the siting posts at any nerd-con, and what are people wearing? Ugly nerdshirts. But bringing in kids sizes was a pointless move designed to grab even more money, and it has irreparably harmed the derby.

i doubt woot would be willing to go back and completely cut off that revenue stream now. perhaps, however, woot mite be willing to at least split the kids tees off from the "adult" derby. don't cross the streams!

AdderXYU

no1 wrote:i doubt woot would be willing to go back and completely cut off that revenue stream now. perhaps, however, woot mite be willing to at least split the kids tees off from the "adult" derby. don't cross the streams!

hence "irreparably". Woot has proven time and again to care far more about their perceived bottom line than about the artists they pay lip service to, but never give the respect they deserve. And when designs that are only fit for children (and lets admit it, we all wanted things as children that are embarrassing to admit now) are winning over designs that are simply better in ways that cannot be intelligently argued against, that is not respecting the effort and skill of the designers putting them forth. This has always been the case, but making kids shirts has brought in the kid's votes, and that makes it even harder. And of course, since woot only pays lip-service to the idea of quality, original designs (the shirt coming up tomorrow is obviously neither, and by woot's alleged standards should never be printing) they would never go back on something pulling in major bank for them, even if it was for the betterment of their artistic community.

The fact is that, by including kids sizes, woot has taken a wrecking ball to a contest which had a quality level and effort level and creativity level which was already crumbling like an ancient ruin. The derby cannot be repaired and still remain in its current state. It needs to be fully rebuilt, and with a do-over derby this week and a non-shirt derby next, at the turn of their second anniversary, now is an EXCELLENT time for woot to boldly state "hey, we're about more than just selling shirts... we really love shirt art, too" and to go and change things so they can become, to some degree at least, the site that it has the potential to become.

no1

AdderXYU wrote:hence "irreparably".

since "irreparably" i think a little experimentation can't do any harm.

AdderXYU wrote:they would never go back on something pulling in major bank for them, even if it was for the betterment of their artistic community.

if they keep a stream for kids shirts they don't have to go back. i'm proposing eventually adding a stream for adult derby shirts. but baby steps to that goal. there's usually at least one adult shirt in the three that print, so explicitly devoting a day or two to an adult shirt wouldn't disturb their revenue stream all that much.

what it mite do is double their workload in policing the derby (since there could be two of them), but an increase from 5 minutes a week to ten shouldn't be that big a deal.

AdderXYU

no1 wrote:if they keep a stream for kids shirts they don't have to go back. i'm proposing eventually adding a stream for adult derby shirts. but baby steps to that goal. there's usually at least one adult shirt in the three that print, so explicitly devoting a day or two to an adult shirt wouldn't disturb their revenue stream all that much.

what it mite do is double their workload in policing the derby (since there could be two of them), but an increase from 5 minutes a week to ten shouldn't be that big a deal.

See, to me I think there would be a real hard time separating what is kiddy and what is not. Because you can have a shirt which is "cute" and not "kiddy", or one which might make a great kid's shirt, but isn't strictly one. To me the main distinction between a kids shirt and an adult shirt is that the art is immature... not like hands grabbing boobs, but done in a way to highlight cute as opposed to concept or art quality. There is more to life and art than cute.

The issue is that the kiddy shirts aren't good, not that they sell to kids. It's that people vote for them on being adorably deformed, not for being wearable or even worth viewing. Having a "kiddie pick" every week would only perpetuate unworthy art being sold at woot, since most of the time the winner would be the same poorly done "Highlights Page" work that wins regularly anyway. And that lack of quality getting a grand instead of real, creative, well-done pieces is what I think makes woot such a joke of a site. The kids tees help perpetuate it, but they aren't the only thing. They're just the nail in the coffin. The only thing woot can feasibly do to improve the derby is take the power away from the "it's just a shirt" voters and the "it's cute and thats all that matters" voters and all the incredibly narrow minds that can't see anything but one mediocre type of shirt as worth voting for, to the point where anyone desiring more is somehow caring too much. Kid sizes only help foster a kid mentality.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:Kid sizes only help foster a kid mentality.

Incorrect. It is the other way around. A childish mentality is what helped "foster" child sizes. Were children's tshirts eliminated, the same pabulum would be winning. Because it is people's tastes that are "childish," and not that child sizes are encouraging childish choices. The people who like mature art/design are people who will buy mature tshirts for their children and themselves. The people who like childish art/design are people who will buy childish tshirts for their children and themselves. That's it. The presence of children's tshirts does not significantly impact the art/design choices voters make. It only amplifies already present preferences. It also makes more money for woot. They saw the way the wind was blowing, and they moved with it.

AdderXYU

goldenthorn wrote:Incorrect. It is the other way around. A childish mentality is what helped "foster" child sizes. Were children's tshirts eliminated, the same pabulum would be winning. Because it is people's tastes that are "childish," and not that child sizes are encouraging childish choices. The people who like mature art/design are people who will buy mature tshirts for their children and themselves. The people who like childish art/design are people who will buy childish tshirts for their children and themselves. That's it. The presence of children's tshirts does not significantly impact the art/design choices voters make. It only amplifies already present preferences.

I see it more as "this is what is preferred already, and it is kid friendly, so lets make that preference insuperable with kid sizes". It's hard to really judge... the suck that printed in the long long ago was of varied styles of horrible, and the Era of Ramy came about after kids sizes were introduced... but I think that having that motivation has definitely helped cement scaffolding in the fog.

I know there were wooters buying their kids shirts even before kids sizes, obviously. I know there are wooters who vote for their kids, or let their kids watch while they browse woot, and vote accordingly. And no matter how sophisticated those users are, how do you say no to a kid? (I say it very easily, but that is why I am not a father).

So it's more of a snowball. I don't disagree that there was scaffolding, and will be scaffolding, even without kid sizes. But I do think that with kid sizes, scaffolding is nearly unbeatable.

And I'd say it's a chicken-and-egg... kid shirts and kid mentalities foster each other, but in this case, while woot has long sold shirts that were "childish" at best, and while wooters have long been the same, the rise of kids sizes has still made it more oppressive.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:
And I'd say it's a chicken-and-egg... kid shirts and kid mentalities foster each other, but in this case, while woot has long sold shirts that were "childish" at best, and while wooters have long been the same, the rise of kids sizes has still made it more oppressive.

Man, haven't we put this chicken-and-egg thing to rest yet? Before it was a chicken, it was something that could lay eggs. Thus, eggs came first.
I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

(I think your hatred for the wondertwins somewhat clouds your opinion in this. The Era of Ramy came about because people like to wear that sort of thing. Adult people. It's the same kind of adults who wear Disney and Hello Kitty. I agree that kid tees have made it worse, but it's mostly just taste-which-we-vehemently-hate-and-disdain-but-is-not-our-own-thank-the-gods-so-what-can-you-do-other-than-write-and-try-to-open-people's-minds-through-your-words-amirite.)

AdderXYU

goldenthorn wrote:Man, haven't we put this chicken-and-egg thing to rest yet? Before it was a chicken, it was something that could lay eggs. Thus, eggs came first.
I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

(I think your hatred for the wondertwins somewhat clouds your opinion in this. The Era of Ramy came about because people like to wear that sort of thing. Adult people. It's the same kind of adults who wear Disney and Hello Kitty. I agree that kid tees have made it worse, but it's mostly just taste-which-we-vehemently-hate-and-disdain-but-is-not-our-own-thank-the-gods-so-what-can-you-do-other-than-write-and-try-to-open-people's-minds-through-your-words-amirite.)

I would argue that no one who would ever wear a wondertwin t-shirt is an adult. I don't care how old they are.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:I would argue that no one who would ever wear a wondertwin t-shirt is an adult. I don't care how old they are.

I would not disagree. But it's their taste, not yours, and we've had enough arguments about that.

no1

AdderXYU wrote:See, to me I think there would be a real hard time separating what is kiddy and what is not. Because you can have a shirt which is "cute" and not "kiddy", or one which might make a great kid's shirt, but isn't strictly one. To me the main distinction between a kids shirt and an adult shirt is that the art is immature... not like hands grabbing boobs, but done in a way to highlight cute as opposed to concept or art quality. There is more to life and art than cute.

The issue is that the kiddy shirts aren't good, not that they sell to kids. It's that people vote for them on being adorably deformed, not for being wearable or even worth viewing. Having a "kiddie pick" every week would only perpetuate unworthy art being sold at woot, since most of the time the winner would be the same poorly done "Highlights Page" work that wins regularly anyway. And that lack of quality getting a grand instead of real, creative, well-done pieces is what I think makes woot such a joke of a site. The kids tees help perpetuate it, but they aren't the only thing. They're just the nail in the coffin. The only thing woot can feasibly do to improve the derby is take the power away from the "it's just a shirt" voters and the "it's cute and thats all that matters" voters and all the incredibly narrow minds that can't see anything but one mediocre type of shirt as worth voting for, to the point where anyone desiring more is somehow caring too much. Kid sizes only help foster a kid mentality.

while i understand your reasoning, i would still like to see if separating designs into two derbies, one with kids sizes and one without, mite siphon off some of the "cute" stuff to one side.

AdderXYU

no1 wrote:while i understand your reasoning, i would still like to see if separating designs into two derbies, one with kids sizes and one without, mite siphon off some of the "cute" stuff to one side.

It's not even about cute. This was by far the cutest shirt last derby, and it made it no further than 10th. besides cute, it was also well rendered, with attractive colors and an amusing concept. If it was about cute, that would be printing.

By comparison, Ramy's bunnies are actually pretty hideous and uber deformed, as always. But they will print tonight. And people will say "lol I like this because I love cute things!" But it's not cute they love, because good cute things never win. They love poorly done things.

cvankleek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cvankleek

FWIW, I wish Woot had the kid sizes earlier on. Not because of the cute factor but because I like having cool shirts for my children. Meaning, something that as an Adult, I would want to wear.

I bought my family each the Octopus spelling out Octopus shirt when we went on a trip to Hawaii. My children, both under age 8 have to wear adult smalls now. Now biggie but would have preferred a shirt that fit them better.

melissah12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melissah12
AdderXYU wrote:(man, what a mom if she'll spend $18 on a shirt that will be outgrown in a year!)

Adder, I have had several instances where I agree with you. however on this, I do not. I have bought kid sizes shirts for my kids. My just turned 3 year old son has 2, my 7 year old daughter has 3, and my 12 year old daughter has 3. Not to mention my woot shirts that she tries to take out my closet. When I vote for a design, I vote for what I like, however, if something that I think my son, or my two girls would like wins, I'm gonna buy it. He has been around me long enough to where he loves his "dinosaur woot shirt" or his "donut woot shirt". I'm glad that woot started offering kids sizes, and I think that I am a helluva mom who buys her kids cool shirts.

LightSpiral

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LightSpiral
Drakxxx wrote:I only have one HM, but fortunately it's one of my most favorite designs I've done yet.

I absolutely loved this one Drakxxx and it will be getting my vote once again!

In fact, I loved this one so much that even though my internet was down that derby weekend, I had my brother-in-law checking Woot for me each night to see if it had placed so he could order three shirts on my dime--one for me, one for himself, and one I wanted to desperately give to a friend of mine who adores steampunk!

Hopefully, it will place this go 'round and I can order my three shirts! Good luck!

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
no1 wrote:if the kids tees are what made woot what it is today, how about two derbies, one exclusively for kids tees and one exclusively not? sell adult designs (on adult-only sizes) friday and saturday, the kid one on sunday.

while that does seem like a good idea, that would require woot to write "THESE SHIRTS WILL NOT HAVE A KID'S SIZE", but more importantly wooters to read and after reading thru the ape shirt just the other day, i don't think that's always a strong suit around here.

in fact, i have no doubt in a few weeks a bag will show up to someone's door and they'll wonder where their shirt is.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

Is it just me, or is the color Woot is calling 307c in the template not 307c? And the color they are calling 123C, is not 123C?

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
striker138 wrote:Is it just me, or is the color Woot is calling 307c in the template not 307c? And the color they are calling 123C, is not 123C?

In Photoshop with the picker, they definitely didn't match up. I'm not sure if we should use the colors in the template or if we should use the actual 307c and 123c...

It's not just you.

Luni420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Luni420

The Your Mom one is easily the best. I cant believe the scaffolding that some of you guys would vote for just cause you think its "cute"

Artwinged

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Artwinged

I'm new here, but I've read most of this thread.

A. Parents usually have more than one child. T-shirts can be passed down the line and, with modern laundry products, often survive three kids. I know, I've done it.
1. Grandparents buy more expensive items for gifts than parents.
2. If this site does not make a profit, it won't exist for long. You want your shirt printed for sure? Go to cafepress and set up a site.

B. "Cute" is in the eye of the beholder. I just bought the 2nd place fiddle T-shirt for myself because the concept is, IMO, cute.

C. Long sleeved T-shirts are hard to find and I LOVE them. I live in a moderate climate where they are useful 9 months out of the year. I don't care if something is printed on the sleeve or not.

D. I have no preconception of the "fairness" of the competition here. All judging is subjective and we all have taste biases. If your style isn't winning, that's discouraging, I'm sure. I see some AWESOME art. I will be watching to see what rises to the top.

E. This looks like fun. I'm going to try it. Entering a contest with financial gain in mind often leads to disappointment. If something I create is a hit, bonanza! If not, I enjoyed the creative process.

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois
Artwinged wrote:I'm new here, but I've read most of this thread.

A. Parents usually have more than one child. T-shirts can be passed down the line and, with modern laundry products, often survive three kids. I know, I've done it.
1. Grandparents buy more expensive items for gifts than parents.
2. If this site does not make a profit, it won't exist for long. You want your shirt printed for sure? Go to cafepress and set up a site.

B. "Cute" is in the eye of the beholder. I just bought the 2nd place fiddle T-shirt for myself because the concept is, IMO, cute.

C. Long sleeved T-shirts are hard to find and I LOVE them. I live in a moderate climate where they are useful 9 months out of the year. I don't care if something is printed on the sleeve or not.

D. I have no preconception of the "fairness" of the competition here. All judging is subjective and we all have taste biases. If your style isn't winning, that's discouraging, I'm sure. I see some AWESOME art. I will be watching to see what rises to the top.

E. This looks like fun. I'm going to try it. Entering a contest with financial gain in mind often leads to disappointment. If something I create is a hit, bonanza! If not, I enjoyed the creative process.

Amen. You hit it right on the head.

NYCtShirt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NYCtShirt
gr3ygoos3 wrote:So maybe this post was a complete wast of my time. I STILL think it's a good idea……….

I agree!!!

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

Everyone is staying tight lipped about their bag derby ideas I see.

lunchboxbrain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lunchboxbrain

For the full sized comps and thumbnail, should they be the same sizes (600x600 and 200x200 respectively) as a regular derby or should we abide by the dimensions of the bag template?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

striker138 wrote:Everyone is staying tight lipped about their bag derby ideas I see.

I'm about 80% done with mine. I may just hold off on posting it until the day of though.

lunchboxbrain

striker138 wrote:Everyone is staying tight lipped about their bag derby ideas I see.

I've got one wrapped and may whip up another one tonight.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
lunchboxbrain wrote:For the full sized comps and thumbnail, should they be the same sizes (600x600 and 200x200 respectively) as a regular derby or should we abide by the dimensions of the bag template?

580x580 and 240x240

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

I've been lazy and haven't started on mine. P:

I've got a great idea for it though.

lunchboxbrain

JadenKale wrote:580x580 and 240x240

Ahhh, my mistake. Thanks Jaden!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

What the heck, I think I'm almost done with this, just some detail work left. I tried to come up with something that would get across that excitement you feel when you get a get a package in the mail. It kind of feels like Christmas or when the ice cream truck would come around when you're a kid. I was going to put some meme type designs on the little shirt stickers, but I don't think they would be very clear and might just make the whole think look too cluttered. I'll probably take it into illustrator and clean the whole thing up there, maybe give the guy a mustache. Any other suggestions before Friday?

imsochady

quality posts: 24 Private Messages imsochady
tgentry wrote:What the heck, I think I'm almost done with this, just some detail work left. I tried to come up with something that would get across that excitement you feel when you get a get a package in the mail. It kind of feels like Christmas or when the ice cream truck would come around when you're a kid. I was going to put some meme type designs on the little shirt stickers, but I don't think they would be very clear and might just make the whole think look too cluttered. I'll probably take it into illustrator and clean the whole thing up there, maybe give the guy a mustache. Any other suggestions before Friday?

Are we allowed to have the words "shirt.woot" in there?

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois
tgentry wrote:

I look just like that kid with his mouth open every time I get a shirt in the mail.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
tgentry wrote:What the heck, I think I'm almost done with this, just some detail work left. I tried to come up with something that would get across that excitement you feel when you get a get a package in the mail. It kind of feels like Christmas or when the ice cream truck would come around when you're a kid. I was going to put some meme type designs on the little shirt stickers, but I don't think they would be very clear and might just make the whole think look too cluttered. I'll probably take it into illustrator and clean the whole thing up there, maybe give the guy a mustache. Any other suggestions before Friday?

I love it! that's awesome.

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

Awesome. I was wating for someone to post what they were working on for the bag derby. I will definitely vote for this, it is GREAT!

I can't wait to see more.

nevetnod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod
tgentry wrote:

This is very cool, but I'm afraid of the woot exclamation point on the guy's apron. The rules say it "can be scaled but not stretched, skewed, or otherwise altered". Showing it in any perspective other than straight on means it is skewed, no?

I like celery.