masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
tgentry wrote:

Nice tgentry, I was just looking to see if people had started posting early bag work. Good stuff.

A mustache would probably make him look extremely creepy. I'd say add it.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
nevetnod wrote:This is very cool, but I'm afraid of the woot exclamation point on the guy's apron. The rules say it "can be scaled but not stretched, skewed, or otherwise altered". Showing it in any perspective other than straight on means it is skewed, no?

I think, considering the design, it's fine. it's assumed the logo is the logo. it would look off if it wasn't skewed for the purpose of the design. I believe they meant that they didn't want you distorting it if it were head on or turning it into a different exclamation point.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

JadenKale wrote:I think, considering the design, it's fine. it's assumed the logo is the logo. it would look off if it wasn't skewed for the purpose of the design. I believe they meant that they didn't want you distorting it if it were head on or turning it into a different exclamation point.

Yeah I assumed they meant their logo has to appear undistorted somewhere on the bag, which it does. The logo on the apron is part of the design. Some clarification from woot would be welcome, but I think I met the woot's intent by putting the logo in the upper right corner. The rest of the design should be fair game. That's how I interpreted it.

As for the text, I didn't see anything that said it couldn't be on there (unless I missed it, which wouldn't surprise me), so I added it. I figured a "shirt truck" would probably have the name of the company on it.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
tgentry wrote:Yeah I assumed they meant their logo has to appear undistorted somewhere on the bag, which it does. The logo on the apron is part of the design. Some clarification from woot would be welcome, but I think I met the woot's intent by putting the logo in the upper right corner. The rest of the design should be fair game. That's how I interpreted it.

As for the text, I didn't see anything that said it couldn't be on there (unless I missed it, which wouldn't surprise me), so I added it. I figured a "shirt truck" would probably have the name of the company on it.

I find it fitting. I like the overall play. It reminds me too of Suburban Blitzkrieg without it obviously being the same. I figure the rules were going to be a little skewed for this as well, but logo/site names seem appropriate for this week's challenge. I just wish I could get my idea done. I actually need to finish some work before I can start playing.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Here's this week's Best Loser Awards for the Double-take. I've included my Editor's Choice predictions and I'd love to hear everyone else's too.

http://BestLosers.com

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
acobjoe wrote:Hey everyone, I hope this is helpful to you. I made a blank comp psd from a woot bag that I hadn't thrown out yet. It's complete with shading and a rough print area. Here's a screenshot of the comp:

And here's a link to the zipped psd.

thank you so much for this! You rock!

thatrobert

masterkraig wrote:Nice tgentry, I was just looking to see if people had started posting early bag work. Good stuff.

A mustache would probably make him look extremely creepy. I'd say add it.

Awesome work as always TGentry. I was just going to say the same thing about the mustache but say leave it out. It would clash with the "joy vibe" you got going.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:Awesome work as always TGentry. I was just going to say the same thing about the mustache but say leave it out. It would clash with the "joy vibe" you got going.

Thanks Robert. Yeah, creepy shirt man with Wilfred Brimley mustache would make me laugh, but probably doesn't belong on their shipping bag.

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
thatrobert wrote:Here's this week's Best Loser Awards for the Double-take. I've included my Editor's Choice predictions and I'd love to hear everyone else's too.

http://BestLosers.com

This is a tough one to call.

I'll say:

WHAT WILL GET EDITOR'S CHOICE:
Gonna Make You Lunch
This One Is Done
A Book is Not Just a Book
Red Giant, White Dwarf

THE EDITORS CHOICES IF I WAS IN CHARGE: (no particular order)
Acherontia lachesis IIIx
Air
Boldly Going

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
omnitarian wrote:This is a tough one to call.

I'll say:

Gonna Make You Lunch
This One Is Done
Red Giant, White Dwarf

Acherontia lachesis IIIx
Air
Boldly Going

As always, my hopefuls will be tacked onto the end of my weekly contest watch in my blog tomorrow.

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

Red Giant, White Dwarf should be a EC.
So should Cthulu BBQ!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

So, to those of you who have worked on your design...
Is it just me, or does it feel like you are designing for long john silver's...
The blue
the yellow
It's weird!
So will we need to have a thumbnail and comp per usual?

thatrobert

omnitarian wrote:This is a tough one to call.

I'll say:

Gonna Make You Lunch
This One Is Done
Red Giant, White Dwarf

Acherontia lachesis IIIx
Air
Boldly Going

I almost included "Air" in my picks. I was worried it wouldn't print great and I would guess Woot would be concerned about the same thing and avoid it.

thatrobert

tgentry wrote:Thanks Robert. Yeah, creepy shirt man with Wilfred Brimley mustache would make me laugh, but probably doesn't belong on their shipping bag.

I can totally imagine Woot being thrilled with your design for their shirt bag. I'm sure your votes will be good but could still get edged out by something repetitive and cliched. I wonder if Woot is really going to be happy with what the voters ask for?

benjaminleebates

Here's mine...
I've love to have some feedback.

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
tgentry wrote:Yeah I assumed they meant their logo has to appear undistorted somewhere on the bag, which it does. The logo on the apron is part of the design. Some clarification from woot would be welcome, but I think I met the woot's intent by putting the logo in the upper right corner. The rest of the design should be fair game. That's how I interpreted it.

Hmm, I am confused on this issue regarding woot logo use (woot, if you're listening please clarify), but knowing how easily rejection comes when rules are "skewed" I did not alter the logo at all in my design. The rule includes "or otherwise altered" so I was under the impression that it had to be exactly as it is except for scale. And I avoided text (despite temptation) since it says it has to follow the rules of the "Derby in general." Maybe I'm just being too paranoid, but hopefully woot can help to make this clear.

If they do not, perhaps to play it safe you can submit both versions, one officially playing by general derby rules and one that takes a little bit of artistic liberty using the logo/text. When submitting the former, you could make suggestions to woot as to where shirt.woot! goes and suggest the logo on the apron (also, I don't know if they would consider the rotation of the logo at top right legit). It would just kind of stink if they rejected it for what they might deem alteration, albeit slight.

The design I made uses the woot logo about 10,000 times. This might be my only chance to get in my woot references (the only rule I was ever rejected for) so I took advantage of it and recreated the world map using just the logo in blue and yellow on white (calling it, what else, "World of Woot"). It is still a work in progress and I am contemplating adding lines (added a few in the version I included below) going to and from Carrolton and one out to the recipient with the logo to represent what woot is all about (the world gives ideas to woot and woot shares some of the ideas with the world). I made the start of going in that direction but might keep it plain without the additions. I am on the fence and will keep playing with the concept. I also looked at doing just part of North America which allowed me to increase the size of the logo and make it more apparent (plus woot uses the U.S map only--but then it advertises/ships globally-- I'm torn). Any feedback is welcome.

Back to the issue at hand though, if I follow the rules to the letter, I should not overlap any of the logos with lines or anything or may need to modify the logos affected by the lines so that they are just colored circles (which makes me want to go with the North American version or even the circular arctic version with a big blue woot logo over the north pole's ice). But if woot allows some obscuring of the logo, I can expand upon my original world map if I'd like and not worry about overlaps. I too may play it safe and submit two versions if we do not hear back from them.

Oh, I almost forgot. The plain world map with the Arctic and Antarctica as ice was designed so it would allow woot the flexibility to work their name and logo across the bottom (my suggestion) or top. This keeps me safely within the rules but allows them to work with the design some to get something to their liking or add what they need. Until woot clears this up, it may be wise to build into your designs some ways to make it work if they are to strictly enforce their rules.

As noted, feedback is welcome. I have a few other ideas but will likely not have the time to execute them. If anyone is stuck, feel free to write me and I'll share.

KIDA26

benjaminleebates wrote:

Here's mine...

I like it. I think there is a little too much blank space though. Althuogh I have no clue what you could do to fill the space. Just my crappy 2 cents.

benjaminleebates

earthart wrote:Hmm, I am confused on this issue regarding woot logo use (woot, if you're listening please clarify), but knowing how easily rejection comes when rules are "skewed" I did not alter the logo at all in my design. The rule includes "or otherwise altered" so I was under the impression that it had to be exactly as it is except for scale. And I avoided text (despite temptation) since it says it has to follow the rules of the "Derby in general." Maybe I'm just being too paranoid, but hopefully woot can help to make this clear.

If they do not, perhaps to play it safe you can submit both versions, one officially playing by general derby rules and one that takes a little bit of artistic liberty using the logo/text. When submitting the former, you could make suggestions to woot as to where shirt.woot! goes and suggest the logo on the apron (also, I don't know if they would consider the rotation of the logo at top right legit). It would just kind of stink if they rejected it for what they might deem alteration, albeit slight.

The design I made uses the woot logo about 10,000 times. This might be my only chance to get in my woot references (the only rule I was ever rejected for) so I took advantage of it and recreated the world map using just the logo in blue and yellow on white (calling it, what else, "World of Woot"). It is still a work in progress and I am contemplating adding lines (added a few in the version I included below) going to and from Carrolton and one out to the recipient with the logo to represent what woot is all about (the world gives ideas to woot and woot shares some of the ideas with the world). I made the start of going in that direction but might keep it plain without the additions. I am on the fence and will keep playing with the concept. I also looked at doing just part of North America which allowed me to increase the size of the logo and make it more apparent (plus woot uses the U.S map only--but then it advertises/ships globally-- I'm torn). Any feedback is welcome.

Back to the issue at hand though, if I follow the rules to the letter, I should not overlap any of the logos with lines or anything or may need to modify the logos affected by the lines so that they are just colored circles (which makes me want to go with the North American version or even the circular arctic version with a big blue woot logo over the north pole's ice). But if woot allows some obscuring of the logo, I can expand upon my original world map if I'd like and not worry about overlaps. I too may play it safe and submit two versions if we do not hear back from them.

Oh, I almost forgot. The plain world map with the Arctic and Antarctica as ice was designed so it would allow woot the flexibility to work their name and logo across the bottom (my suggestion) or top. This keeps me safely within the rules but allows them to work with the design some to get something to their liking or add what they need. Until woot clears this up, it may be wise to build into your designs some ways to make it work if they are to strictly enforce their rules.

As noted, feedback is welcome. I have a few other ideas but will likely not have the time to execute them. If anyone is stuck, feel free to write me and I'll share.

wow, that's not repetitive...

benjaminleebates

benjaminleebates wrote:wow, that't not repetitive...

benjaminleebates

benjaminleebates wrote:wow, that't not repetitive...

benjaminleebates

KIDA26 wrote:I like it. I think there is a little too much blank space though. Althuogh I have no clue what you could do to fill the space. Just my crappy 2 cents.

I could go with the old stand by, when in doubt fill it in with half-tone...!

KIDA26

benjaminleebates wrote:wow, that's not repetitive...

I didn't want to quote your original because of the length. but I like your design idea. I would definitely like it to have more of the "shipping lines" though. I have the feeling that it's going to be pretty tough to decide on which designs to vote for in this bag derby. All the ones posted here so far (all 3 of them :D)are real good.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
earthart wrote:(snip for brevity)

I agree with tgentry's and JK's interpretation of the logo rules, but clarification from Woot would definitely be good.

Text should be allowed, I think. "No text" is a "regular derby rule" in the sense that most derbies don't allow text, but the fact that they have to specify it every week says to me that it is allowed this upcoming week since they didn't say "no text". Then again, they usually state "text allowed" when it's allowed, so I guess it's all up in the air.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

earthart

benjaminleebates wrote:wow, that's not repetitive...

Yes, pattern designs can be repetitive. It still took a lot of work, but I understand if a pattern design is not your thing. I do like yours but would like to offer some constructive feedback as you requested.

I think maybe the right hand is scaled too small. I know it could be seen as moving away from the egg, and therefore would be correct but my eye sees it as though it should be nearly the same size since it would more likely be above the other hand.

I think perhaps the objects in the other eggs should be more at rest at the bottoms as gravity would dictate rather than somewhat floating (the side hatch door seems to be defying gravity as well).

This part is a tough call, but since the glass of the bowl is transparent, maybe the background pattern should be visible through it, but that may be tough to pull off given the color restriction and potential cluttering effects.

Something about the shirt seems to be off for me as well. Perhaps again it is its scale or the profile face I keep seeing, but it throws me a bit.

Finally, the top edge of the egg could maybe be represented as an oval rather than a straight line giving it a bit of depth.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
earthart wrote:

I have done basically the same thing with the woot logos, using them as a makeshift halftone type dot. Your design is much more in depth than mine though. I hope not everyone does the same thing.. lol.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Will there be HMs for the bag designs, I wonder?

(I ask this, yet the HMs for the last derby haven't even been put up yet...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

earthart

striker138 wrote:I have done basically the same thing with the woot logos, using them as a makeshift halftone type dot. Your design is much more in depth than mine though. I hope not everyone does the same thing.. lol.

We'll see. The fact that one of my other design ideas uses a similar idea makes me think we might not be the only two doing something like this. The little I have heard from other folks make me think there won't be many but it's hard to tell since most everyone has maintained radio silence.

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
earthart wrote:We'll see. The fact that one of my other design ideas uses a similar idea makes me think we might not be the only two doing something like this. The little I have heard from other folks make me think there won't be many but it's hard to tell since most everyone has maintained radio silence.

I had somewhat the same Idea! I see a lot of maps for this bag derby.
This is what I came up with and I also have another one in the works. Please leave any comments.

espetrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages espetrell

The double-take derby is a good idea, but what happens to the honorable mentions? Can they re-enter theirs in the next double-take derby?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Stellardig wrote:I had somewhat the same Idea! I see a lot of maps for this bag derby.
This is what I came up with and I also have another one in the works. Please leave any comments.

But shirt.woot ships internationally!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
Stellardig wrote:I had somewhat the same Idea! I see a lot of maps for this bag derby.

You should put an exclamation point on my house. Western NC.

yodal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yodal

So i was wondering with the Bag Derby it doesnt say no text but it doesnt say text is allowed either does anyone know if text is ok?

devdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devdave

I'd also love to hear what woot has to say about the text, and the logo. Because i took it to mean the same thing as you. and i used text.
BTW your design is hot stuff again! i love the expression you can see on the kids face.

benjaminleebates

benjaminleebates wrote:

Here's mine...

Earthart wrote...
I think maybe the right hand is scaled too small. I know it could be seen as moving away from the egg, and therefore would be correct but my eye sees it as though it should be nearly the same size since it would more likely be above the other hand.

I think perhaps the objects in the other eggs should be more at rest at the bottoms as gravity would dictate rather than somewhat floating (the side hatch door seems to be defying gravity as well).

This part is a tough call, but since the glass of the bowl is transparent, maybe the background pattern should be visible through it, but that may be tough to pull off given the color restriction and potential cluttering effects.

Something about the shirt seems to be off for me as well. Perhaps again it is its scale or the profile face I keep seeing, but it throws me a bit.

Finally, the top edge of the egg could maybe be represented as an oval rather than a straight line giving it a bit of depth.

thanks for the feedback, i'll do some re-work today and repost.
BTW i was just kidding about the repetitve thing, I actually admire the effort!

benjaminleebates

I made some changes...
I'd love to hear what you all think.
I'm debating about the hands, blue or yellow.
The last one was starting to get just too convoluted with the swirls in there.

SailorButterfly

espetrell wrote:The double-take derby is a good idea, but what happens to the honorable mentions? Can they re-enter theirs in the next double-take derby?

There won't be HMs from the double-take derby. Instead, Woot will pick 4 "Editor's Choice" shirts to print Monday through Thursday next week. (and we're hoping next Friday through Sunday too since they can't exactly sell the bags lol)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
eHalcyon wrote:But shirt.woot ships internationally!

I have a world map that I'm working on.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
SailorButterfly wrote:There won't be HMs from the double-take derby. Instead, Woot will pick 4 "Editor's Choice" shirts to print Monday through Thursday next week. (and we're hoping next Friday through Sunday too since they can't exactly sell the bags lol)

Seven EC's would be awesome.

These are my choices that I think will print, sorry if I curse anyone.

SailorButterfly

artulo wrote:Seven EC's would be awesome.

I'll post my picks (that I would print) in a bit.

I think there will be riots if you don't get an EC. XD

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

Here is my first attempt at a Bag Debry design.