benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
striker138 wrote:Here is my first attempt at a Bag Debry design.

holy optical illusions, batman!
it looks like the background the blue area is blue tinted!

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
benjaminleebates wrote:holy optical illusions, batman!
it looks like the background the blue area is blue tinted!

Definitely not tinted... although I won't be able to see right for a week now. All I see are little woot symbols everywhere I look.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
striker138 wrote:Here is my first attempt at a Bag Debry design.

They said in the beginning that the exclamation point had to be white, right? They might enforce that for this case.

theinfinityloop

Here's my WIP. It still needs a lot of cleaning and tweaking. Obviously I'll replace the logos with the proper ones. LOL, I just noticed I'm missing some clothespins too. And the light blue will be a halftone. I'm still debating on whether or not to have sunbeams.

striker138

theinfinityloop wrote:They said in the beginning that the exclamation point had to be white, right? They might enforce that for this case.

I didn't even see where it said the exclamation had to be white, but you are right. Thanks for pointing that out. Should be an easy fix at least.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
theinfinityloop wrote:Here's my WIP. It still needs a lot of cleaning and tweaking. Obviously I'll replace the logos with the proper ones. LOL, I just noticed I'm missing some clothespins too. And the light blue will be a halftone. I'm still debating on whether or not to have sunbeams.

Neat! I don't think you need sunbeams. Might distract from the clothes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

benjaminleebates

SailorButterfly wrote:Neat! I don't think you need sunbeams. Might distract from the clothes.

why is the sun in front of the clouds?

theghotiman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theghotiman
thatrobert wrote:Here's this week's Best Loser Awards for the Double-take. I've included my Editor's Choice predictions and I'd love to hear everyone else's too.

http://BestLosers.com

My picks for HMs:

And the one I'd really like to see:

theinfinityloop

benjaminleebates wrote:why is the sun in front of the clouds?

Oops, it's not supposed to be, I'll fix it.

benjaminleebates

theinfinityloop wrote:Oops, it's not supposed to be, I'll fix it.

right on!

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

This is one of the ideas I got.

benjaminleebates

Okay I think this is it!
wat d'y'all think?
I always loved those little candy and toy machines when I was little. It was like kiddy gambling...

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
benjaminleebates wrote:

I made some changes...
I'd love to hear what you all think.
I'm debating about the hands, blue or yellow.
The last one was starting to get just too convoluted with the swirls in there.

I think you should take the lines out of the bowl part.

benjaminleebates

Leahbh wrote:I think you should take the lines out of the bowl part.

like the background lines, or the blue and yellow crescents?

stepjr23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stepjr23
benjaminleebates wrote:like the background lines, or the blue and yellow crescents?

The background lines make it really hard to focus on the plastic eggs. Too much going on there. Maybe one or the other (though I do like the colored ones, makes it look like they're reflecting on the glass).

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
thatrobert wrote:I can totally imagine Woot being thrilled with your design for their shirt bag. I'm sure your votes will be good but could still get edged out by something repetitive and cliched. I wonder if Woot is really going to be happy with what the voters ask for?

I think woot specifically put the "we reserve the right to reject anything which is too stupid" rule in this week because they KNOW that is what they will get anyway. Being able to reject with "we don't really feel this is the image we want to portray" means a good number of horrible ideas will die quick deaths because they simply don't want that. I don't know if it'll prevent the most boring designs (I'd rather like for the winners to be more than just a map, or an exclamation point. It's a sad state of affairs to me that to most, woot seems to be just some place that sells stuff), but it should mean that we won't get uber-deformed animals or something of that nature.

One more reason I truly believe woot hates the derbies but are too afraid to do anything about it.

Leahbh

benjaminleebates wrote:like the background lines, or the blue and yellow crescents?

the background. I'd maybe add more detail to the egg parts too, not just their lids. maybe. it might look ok once the black lines are gone.

benjaminleebates

Leahbh wrote:the background. I'd maybe add more detail to the egg parts too, not just their lids. maybe. it might look ok once the black lines are gone.

Thanks for all the great feedback, people!
How about this?

striker138

AdderXYU wrote:I think woot specifically put the "we reserve the right to reject anything which is too stupid" rule in this week because they KNOW that is what they will get anyway. Being able to reject with "we don't really feel this is the image we want to portray" means a good number of horrible ideas will die quick deaths because they simply don't want that. I don't know if it'll prevent the most boring designs (I'd rather like for the winners to be more than just a map, or an exclamation point. It's a sad state of affairs to me that to most, woot seems to be just some place that sells stuff), but it should mean that we won't get uber-deformed animals or something of that nature.

One more reason I truly believe woot hates the derbies but are too afraid to do anything about it.

I don't know if I should say thanks, for referencing my design as if it ever really stood a chance at being even remotely competitive. Or if I should say something mean and nasty, for the way you backhandedly insult everyone who participates in the derby regularly who isn't a naturally born artistic soul.

Leahbh

benjaminleebates wrote:

Thanks for all the great feedback, people!
How about this?

I'd like to see what white looks like instead of the blue. or maybe even the yellow. the blue just seems too dark for me, since you already have so much black

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
AdderXYU wrote:I think woot specifically put the "we reserve the right to reject anything which is too stupid" rule in this week because they KNOW that is what they will get anyway. Being able to reject with "we don't really feel this is the image we want to portray" means a good number of horrible ideas will die quick deaths because they simply don't want that. I don't know if it'll prevent the most boring designs (I'd rather like for the winners to be more than just a map, or an exclamation point. It's a sad state of affairs to me that to most, woot seems to be just some place that sells stuff), but it should mean that we won't get uber-deformed animals or something of that nature.

They can't reject everything -- they can go a little heavier with rejecting than usual but anything extreme and people will freak. So that means a lot of popular stuff that they don't necessarily like is going to do well.

Not to mention the fact that they might really want to use a non-winning shirt for a bag. Maybe this derby will open Woot's eyes to taking a more hands-on approach to print selection?

benjaminleebates

Leahbh wrote:I'd like to see what white looks like instead of the blue. or maybe even the yellow. the blue just seems too dark for me, since you already have so much black

I tried white, but it was too blank.
what a conundrum!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
thatrobert wrote:They can't reject everything -- they can go a little heavier with rejecting than usual but anything extreme and people will freak. So that means a lot of popular stuff that they don't necessarily like is going to do well.

Not to mention the fact that they might really want to use a non-winning shirt for a bag. Maybe this derby will open Woot's eyes to taking a more hands-on approach to print selection?

This would be the perfect week to implement a new way for what designs are selected for print. It's already proven that the stuff that woot likes the best doesn't make it to the top, so why should they base their product packaging (which they obviously should like) on what happens in the derby?

I say to heck with the fog and woot should just pick what bag designs they like, not what the voters want.

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer

Well, here's my design so far:

I'm waiting to see if Woot clarifies the ambiguous "no skewing the logo" rule. I hope they allow the slight changes that make the logo work on things like Tgentry's apron and my shirt.

I'm also hoping they allow text so that I can add letters to clarify the order of the machine, a la Rube Goldberg

EDITED: to fix giant picture.

striker138

benjaminleebates wrote:I tried white, but it was too blank.
what a conundrum!

I liked the original black design myself. Perhaps it might look better if you converted the original black lines into halftones that fade out as they go farther around the back of the glass. But don't listen to me, I am just a talentless hack. lol

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
artulo wrote:This would be the perfect week to implement a new way for what designs are selected for print. It's already proven that the stuff that woot likes the best doesn't make it to the top, so why should they base their product packaging (which they obviously should like) on what happens in the derby?

I say to heck with the fog and woot should just pick what bag designs they like, not what the voters want.

I second this motion!

benjaminleebates

striker138 wrote:I liked the original black design myself. Perhaps it might look better if you converted the original black lines into halftones that fade out as they go farther around the back of the glass. But don't listen to me, I am just a talentless hack. lol

Hey, hack!
Thanks for the advice.
I think I got it. Your advice helped.
It's probably to the point where I am going to be doing circles attempting to fine tune a kazoo!

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
studio1172 wrote:This is one of the ideas I got.

AWESOME! I would vote for this without even blinking. I love it.

Leahbh

artulo wrote:This would be the perfect week to implement a new way for what designs are selected for print. It's already proven that the stuff that woot likes the best doesn't make it to the top, so why should they base their product packaging (which they obviously should like) on what happens in the derby?

Or, they still have the fog, but put more entries in it, then pick their favorites out of it.

It kinda reminds me of how they got rid of people on the tv show rockstar. The viewers would vote and the band would talk to the bottom 3 and pick out of them who left. That way, the fans didn't have total control.

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10

Heres one of my ideas for this derby. I'm not sure what to do with the background though and need suggestions. Maybe buildings?

studio1172

KIDA26 wrote:AWESOME! I would vote for this without even blinking. I love it.

Great! I hope you blink though, not good for the eyes to dry out. That is why Zombies have weird eyes, they do not blink.

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
sundbe10 wrote:Heres one of my ideas for this derby. I'm not sure what to do with the background though and need suggestions. Maybe buildings?

Another great idea. I like it! I think you need a Woot "!" on the shirt that is being fired out of the arm though.

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10
KIDA26 wrote:Another great idea. I like it! I think you need a Woot "!" on the shirt that is being fired out of the arm though.

thanks, that's a really good idea

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
AdderXYU wrote:As always, my hopefuls will be tacked onto the end of my weekly contest watch in my blog tomorrow.

Aaaaand it's up

yodal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yodal

My idea for the bag derby. Dont know what i am going to call it yet maybe woot delivery service or owls make lousy postmen.
Great to be able to take your time! hehehe

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
yodal wrote:

My idea for the bag derby. Dont know what i am going to call it yet maybe woot delivery service or owls make lousy postmen.
Great to be able to take your time! hehehe

Brilliant! This is awesome Yodal! Grrrreeaat use of colors!

studio1172

Here is another idea. I used my wife's and my hands for the fists. I laid a woot shirt down on the patio to get the flag.

I am wondering if this is how Woot wants the comps. I am going to play around with the that as well and see what looks better.

yodal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yodal
imsochady wrote:Brilliant! This is awesome Yodal! Grrrreeaat use of colors!

thanks very much!!