jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
KessiTheNinja wrote:I really wanted this shirt to make it last time!!! I hope it does this time around!!!

Thanks!!! I hope so too, but I think it's going to need a few more votes to get there!;)

Vote!

RebellionCH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RebellionCH
binkdrop wrote:An explanation of the design!! Yayy!

Red Giant and White Dwarf are enjoying a game of marbles. To further explain how this fits the space theme, Red Giants and White Dwarves are both star stages, and the "red giant" and "white dwarf" are playing marbles with our planets. Pluto is out of the marble ring because it was revoked of "planet status".

Credit goes to my rather clever boyfriend for coming up with the "Red Giant, White Dwarf" idea.

I hope this one is able to print. I really, really do. : )

Bink Drop,

this is an awesome shirt!
I remember when it was in the Derby the first time and it really stood out. The colors are awesome. If you dont mind me asking, what software are you using?

jasneko

Re: Dancing in the Rain

Adorable - again!

Vote!

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
AdderXYU wrote:Please explain that one. Because I've heard some insipidly stupid things before, but with no context, you might have just won.

It was a joke, Adder; get over yourself. It only makes you look foolish when you get your panties all in a twist, slinging insults back at people when what I said was meant in jest.

jasneko

omnitarian wrote:Were You Aware?

That 36% (4 out of 11) of my derby entries to date involved characters wearing bowties?

lol! Wow. Do YOU wear a bowtie by any chance?
Really liked this one the last time, good to see it have another chance.

Vote!

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
Re: Mysterious Fathoms Below

I'm just imagining the guys on the boat saying, "There are sharks in the water, but it's okay, they can't bother us on the boat..."

binkdrop

RebellionCH wrote:Bink Drop,

this is an awesome shirt!
I remember when it was in the Derby the first time and it really stood out. The colors are awesome. If you dont mind me asking, what software are you using?

Hi RebellionCH! First of all - thanks for the wonderful compliments!

For this one I sketched it out on paper, drew the outlines in Macromedia Flash, and then colored it in Adobe Photoshop. Flash has a tendency to help smooth lines and make them cleaner. When I try and ink things in Photoshop it takes more time and usually ends up less sharp. :p

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
binkdrop wrote:It was a joke, Adder; get over yourself. It only makes you look foolish when you get your panties all in a twist, slinging insults back at people when what I said was meant in jest.

"besides, liking Edgar's work makes you hypocritical" was a joke?

Man, people say -I- need a better sense of humour

Unless you meant the "man crush" part was a joke. In which case, I wonder how little credit you give me to think I didn't catch that, and still continue to wonder what the hell you meant by the other bit.

jasneko

binkdrop wrote:
For this one I sketched it out on paper, drew the outlines in Macromedia Flash, and then colored it in Adobe Photoshop. Flash has a tendency to help smooth lines and make them cleaner. When I try and ink things in Photoshop it takes more time and usually ends up less sharp. :p

Hey Binkdrop! Good to see your design again, with its pleasing colors and clever idea!
Just caught site of this discussion. Could I ask why you switch over and color in photoshop instead of coloring in flash?

Vote!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
00soul wrote:this will be great to wear around my vegetarian friends

good luck

As a vegetarian, I'd proudly sport this shirt.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Re: I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

I think whether or not the black shows on the navy is largely irrelevant. It will look somewhat different than displayed, but should maintain roughly the same look.

binkdrop

AdderXYU wrote:"besides, liking Edgar's work makes you hypocritical" was a joke?

Man, people say -I- need a better sense of humour

Unless you meant the "man crush" part was a joke. In which case, I wonder how little credit you give me to think I didn't catch that, and still continue to wonder what the hell you meant by the other bit.

You're so argumentative.

So, to clear things up, the first part about the man crush was a joke, which I'm glad to see you got. The second part too was poking fun at you rather than a full blown accusation, hence the ":O" face, but I'll go ahead and change that now to just "you're a hypocrite".

I just found it strange that after campaigning for so long about quality art, you took a liking to Edgar's style. I'm not saying he can't produce quality work, I was just saying that of all the people you choose to openly and fervently endorse, it struck me as odd that he would be the one.

The man-crush part was because your explanation of why you like his work didn't completely make sense to me. It just sounded like you are one of those people that thinks the crack addict on the street corner, spouting out warnings of the impending apocalypse, is "insightful", because he's saying something that no one else is, and is therefore "thinking outside the box".

As to your comment earlier, "Many other designers bring the same nonsense every week, so that even when they step out of the box (not that they do often, or go very far out), it seems generic and uninteresting..."

It probably seems generic and uninteresting to you because you don't give people a chance. You seem to think the worst of everyone right off the bat, especially if they're not within your little following of cult members you seem to have attached yourself to here on Woot.

I won't step down and stop challenging you and your thoughts just because you've been on this site a long time like some people do. I won't stop questioning you just because you're snarky and a jerk, and I won't stop pointing out when I think you're being a hypocrite.

I will, however, avoid having long and drawn out conversations with you about nothing; so unless you bring up a particularly interesting point that I think needs addressing, I'm pretty much done with this conversation here. We don't need to fill up this forum with stupid. (Yes, I did just use stupid as a noun.)

But go ahead, Adder. Bring it on, and be a jerk to me. It won't phase me, because I'm totally out to get you now. >:D

^ See that very last part was a joke. Maybe.

binkdrop

jasneko wrote:Hey Binkdrop! Good to see your design again, with its pleasing colors and clever idea!
Just caught site of this discussion. Could I ask why you switch over and color in photoshop instead of coloring in flash?

Jasssssneko! :p I color in Photoshop mainly because I don't normally do t-shirt designs, thus I became accustomed to using all of the great tools Photoshop had to offer that Flash just doesn't do. I still use Photoshop to color mainly out of familiarity, plus sometimes I like to use different brushes and tools that I only have available in Photoshop and not Flash (like for a grunge effect or something). Another reason is I don't like how flash erases (it always erases more than I want it to), and Photoshop offers more control and precision for me when it comes to coloring.

And I think we already talked about this a while back, but the reason I stick with Flash for the outline instead of just doing it all in Photoshop, is because when I try and ink things in Photoshop it looks like I was riding down the highway over a thousand speedbumps while doing it. :D

Luni420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Luni420
Re: I Heart Your Mom

One of the funniest woot shirt designs Ive seen so far. This one is up there with Donut Panic.

jaguarpawww

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaguarpawww
Re: Cthulhu BBQ

ahh anything lovecraft-related gets my vote! do you have anymore available?

Kidgoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kidgoldstein
Re: Bunny Holly

If this doesn't print, take it to another website and let people know. I'd definitely buy this and wear it on stage.

<insert something witty>

jmmbell1987

binkdrop wrote:I've seen a whole lot of Edgar-ish stuff on Deviant Art so I guess it's completely lost it's charm for me. It seems odd that people would flock to the nonsensical types of designs so freely when there seems to be a raging debate continuously going on around here for what actually constitutes "good art" on a shirt. Ohhh you people here are rather fickle!

I'm personally unfamiliar with most of his work. I just love this design to pieces and have been waiting for the double take derby every since this one didn't print last time.

bobichka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka
Re: a book is not just a book

Better print this time around..

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Dancing in the Rain

Very, very well done.

binkdrop

jmmbell1987 wrote:I'm personally unfamiliar with most of his work. I just love this design to pieces and have been waiting for the double take derby every since this one didn't print last time.

I can understand that! : ) I'm glad then for both Edgar and you that his design is not only up in this derby, but doing well. You just might have an opportunity to get a shirt of his!

anatwork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anatwork
Re: What's Really Out There

Hahaha -- I actually voted thinking Discworld before seeing your comment. It's brilliant! :D

anatwork

Re: Late Afternoon

I do like both versions and I have voted for it (again). However, looking at it again I wish woot had some kind of light pink/orangey yellow (muted) shade. I think this comp would look beautiful on a background of that colour.

anatwork

Re: Taj Mahal

I love the way its so bright! Very adorable.

anatwork

Re: Origin of the Species

I still love this. I wish it would print -- I would wear it.

binkdrop

Re: Origin of the Species

That's some pretty crazy depth from far away. Nice work. This was for the pointillism derby, right?

jasneko

eHalcyon wrote:So is the pink-ish part an orange halftone? Or is the black the same dark blue as the darker halftones in the clouds?

I don't doubt that only six colours are used (I'm not always a fan of his pieces but Edgar definitely knows what he's doing). I'm curious as to which colours were actually used though. The watercolour effect is great.

I also keep coming back to this design and trying to figure that out. The texture of the shirt behind the shirt makes it also harder to see. I'm curious to how the water color effect was created with the color limits... would love to see a larger detail image to take a look!

Vote!

jasneko

binkdrop wrote:Jasssssneko! :p I color in Photoshop mainly because I don't normally do t-shirt designs, thus I became accustomed to using all of the great tools Photoshop had to offer that Flash just doesn't do. I still use Photoshop to color mainly out of familiarity, plus sometimes I like to use different brushes and tools that I only have available in Photoshop and not Flash (like for a grunge effect or something). Another reason is I don't like how flash erases (it always erases more than I want it to), and Photoshop offers more control and precision for me when it comes to coloring.

And I think we already talked about this a while back, but the reason I stick with Flash for the outline instead of just doing it all in Photoshop, is because when I try and ink things in Photoshop it looks like I was riding down the highway over a thousand speedbumps while doing it. :D

Hmmm.. interesting! You are right about the control for coloring. I guess I like the ease of sizing with vectors, so usually ready my designs pantone/printready-wise in illustrator after flash and only the comp gets made in photoshop.
But perhap's I shall experiment with coloring in photoshop sometime, if the mood hits!
And yup, I remember (and agree) with the shaky thing that happens in photoshop when inking!
Thanks for the reply=)

Vote!

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926

Beautiful -- deserves to be higher, definitely!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Acherontia lachesis IIIx

Beautiful linework, art. You have my vote for sure. The way it's laid out, with such perfect symmetry, would make for an uber-wearable shirt.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
endangeredomega wrote:The dragon itself is nicely done, but I can't bring myself to vote for this one. Cannot help but think that the white 'steam' on heather grey is going to end up looking more like someone spilled splashes of bleach all over the shirt.

That's an excellent point. This design would've looked great on AA slate grey, imho. Wish woot would expand its selection of shirt colors like they hinted at way back when. Alternatives to asphalt, white, and cream would be particularly enticing (I'd love silver and slate to be added for those reasons).

wugsby

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby
Re: Bunny Holly

Awesome shirt, easily gmv. This NEEDS to be printed

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
omnitarian wrote:Pfft! "Get"? "Get"?! Back in my day we didn't have any of these fancy pants anthropomorphized food or animals wearing shutter shades, none of our shirts had punchlines and that's the way we liked it! In fact, you were lucky if your shirt wasn't covered in fleas or made out of vinyl! I remember I had a vinyl shirt once, it would play Miles Davis whenever you scratched your back. Now there was a true gentlemen! Kids these days, don't have any role models, they wouldn't know a Hanah Hoch from a Chinatsu Ban. Bloody intentionalists, the lot of yas! My father raised me to be a post-modernist, just like his father before him, and his father before him, and his... well, actually, great-great-grandpa Joe was a formalist. But I don't think the two are very mutually exclusive at all, no matter what that Mr. Duchamp has to say about it!

(Note: Just playin'. I'm bored today.)

Thanks so much. Here I was hoping somebody might explain it for me, but... I guess not.

Happy to have given you something about which to complain, however.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
Re: Up Up Up You Go

Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

Who, me? I'm just a hot air balloon!

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

Mrspott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mrspott
AdderXYU wrote:These were all "honorable mentions".

Ideally, as few dishonorable shirts as possible would be included.

come on adder just because you don't like deadfrog doesn't mean you have to hate his shirt its probably one of 2 I would wear in this whole derby

imsochady

quality posts: 17 Private Messages imsochady
xxchange wrote:Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

Who, me? I'm just a hot air balloon!

Only you can prevent Forrest Whitaker.

dpbowl842

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dpbowl842
Re: Sky City

I don't remember seeing this one the first go around but wow was I missing out. This is beautiful I'd love to have one.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Orbital Rendezvous

haha, id wear it for its comical effect.

can u imagine how awkward the kiss would be..?

imsochady

quality posts: 17 Private Messages imsochady
Re: Air

Oooh, a raging war! My sleeves are all rolled up. Who's the Jets? Sharks? I'll go with the Sharks 'cuz of my slicked-back black hair. And of course Maria .

jasneko

Re: Whats under the bed?

gmv again... great design, and like the blending colors... the kind of colors I would wear!

Vote!

jmmbell1987

Can't believe I missed this first time around. Outstanding design. Very clever.