imsochady

quality posts: 28 Private Messages imsochady
RobotDCLXVI wrote:jewelwing's hot?!?

Actually, she reminds me of Veronica Mars.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
isparabola wrote:Alas, that probably is going to never happen. The way the site works right now, works most of the time, since people still buy the t-shirts.

And if woot ever did this, woot is going to hurt my wallet.

Retail doesn't "work" by selling the most.

Retail works by selling the best, and selling enough of it for everyone to profit.

Woot does that profit thing, without a doubt, 28 nights a month. They just need the quality product.

adamsw216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages adamsw216
AdderXYU wrote:I will state again, since I don't think I've ever heard anyone disagree: Top Vote Getter, Woot's fog favorite (even better if the fog expands), and one EC from anywhere in the derby.

Combined with regular do-overs, it would increase woot quality EXPONENTIALLY

Sounds good to me.

And congrats jewelwing on your three prints on three sites in two days!

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
ewtye wrote:Thank you. I knew there had to be some crazy story behind this abandoned mask. I was thinking more along the lines of a shark attack.

Actually, the implication was supposed to be that something unseen attacked the creepy guy (unseen because Bill/Ning-Ning was on his head) and then he died... and when Bill/Ning-Ning could finally see him, he looked... very bad.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
AdderXYU wrote:I will state again, since I don't think I've ever heard anyone disagree: Top Vote Getter, Woot's fog favorite (even better if the fog expands), and one EC from anywhere in the derby.

Combined with regular do-overs, it would increase woot quality EXPONENTIALLY

Amen, Adder. This is still, by far, the best idea I've heard to get better shirts from the derbies. It even has the compromise of keeping some power in the hands of the voters.

xxchange

imsochady wrote:Actually, she reminds me of Veronica Mars.

NO WAY. I LOVE Veronica Mars! And Kristen Bell, haha. You just made my day. Though that doesn't really make sense, now that I think about it. Okay, you haven't made my day. Never mind.

Yes, I am confused too.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

lostnightsoul

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul

Not bad, the blue is easy on the eyes almost giving a tranquil effect. Perhaps it would have been better as a lithograph or something of the sort.

AdderXYU

IndependentVik wrote:Amen, Adder. This is still, by far, the best idea I've heard to get better shirts from the derbies. It even has the compromise of keeping some power in the hands of the voters.

ideally there would be no compromise. Any vote base who would intentionally vote for things because a member disliked them (and a particularly brilliant member, if I do say so myself) is one that doesn't deserve a voice.

But better a compromise than the bullhooey we get weekly this way.

imsochady

xxchange wrote:NO WAY. I LOVE Veronica Mars! And Kristen Bell, haha. You just made my day. Though that doesn't really make sense, now that I think about it. Okay, you haven't made my day. Never mind.

Yes, I am confused too.

I actually never saw the show. I heard it was good. The reason I know about it is that they filmed a scene at my school one summer .

xxchange

imsochady wrote:I actually never saw the show. I heard it was good. The reason I know about it is that they filmed a scene at my school one summer .

AWESOME! Did you get to see Kristen Bell and all those people? That would've been cool.

Actually, I suppose they'd have either closed, done it on the weekend, or had it in an empty part of the school. Right?

isparabola

quality posts: 8 Private Messages isparabola
AdderXYU wrote:Retail doesn't "work" by selling the most.

Retail works by selling the best, and selling enough of it for everyone to profit.

Woot does that profit thing, without a doubt, 28 nights a month. They just need the quality product.

Well I meant that it works for Woot.

If they are making money why change?

Of course this could be more profitable.

AdderXYU

isparabola wrote:Well I meant that it works for Woot.

If they are making money why change?

Of course this could be more profitable.

They would still be making money.

They would also sleep better at night while doing it. Which is probably worth the profit-cut involved in printing fewer soulless "I DESIGN TO MAKE MONEY AND HAVE NO PASSION FOR ART" shirts.

isparabola

AdderXYU wrote:ideally there would be no compromise. Any vote base who would intentionally vote for things because a member disliked them (and a particularly brilliant member, if I do say so myself) is one that doesn't deserve a voice.

But better a compromise than the bullhooey we get weekly this way.

Thats what you get for being the most vocal member here. *shrug*

AdderXYU

isparabola wrote:Thats what you get for being the most vocal member here. *shrug*

I offer it solely as proof of (lack of) character, and fact that votes are being cast not on desire or quality but idiotic politics.

And when there is clear proof of admitted "voter fraud," your system is broken.

xylotism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xylotism

Holy hell. Three shirts in two days? Is jewelwing paying people off, or what?

Shirt.woot, you used to be cool.

pumbaa57

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pumbaa57
AdderXYU wrote:Retail doesn't "work" by selling the most.

Here's the issue with that: you know that old adage in politics that a campaign contribution is worth a lot more than the amount of the donation - it also represents someone investing themselves in the candidate, and therefore the donor is much more likely to vote for the person to whom they donated because of it (as you can tell, I was neither a poli sci nor an english major). Anyways, the point is, maybe that's part of the derby.

And I'm sure y'all will say that "Well, I vote and I don't buy half the stuff I vote for." But some people, me included, really withhold their votes until they see something they really would purchase, and when those shirts come up for sale, buy them without Bobo-style. I don't have a good reason to stay up until midnight, except that I am hoping for one of "my" shirts (ahem*cough*callme,ishmael*cough).

Them's my two cents. Although they're probably worth even less than that.

there's nothing douchier than a signature that lists all the junk you've bought. NOBODY CARES.

pumbaa57

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pumbaa57
AdderXYU wrote:I offer it solely as proof of (lack of) character, and fact that votes are being cast not on desire or quality but idiotic politics.

And when there is clear proof of admitted "voter fraud," your system is broken.

Also... y'all take this too seriously. Get a second hobby to supplement this one.

there's nothing douchier than a signature that lists all the junk you've bought. NOBODY CARES.

xylotism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xylotism

Also, I have long shared Adder's views on the quality here at Woot.

I thought Threadless were sellouts, but at least they have good, meaningful designs. I don't understand how most of the shirts that end up for sale on Woot get there in the first place. The selection can't be THAT dismal, can it?

Today's shirt is not specifically included with that.

Shirt.woot, you used to be cool.

imsochady

xxchange wrote:AWESOME! Did you get to see Kristen Bell and all those people? That would've been cool.

Actually, I suppose they'd have either closed, done it on the weekend, or had it in an empty part of the school. Right?

They did the filming during school hours. But since it was summer, there weren't many people around, just the summer school keeds. Since I didn't about the show or her, I just walked on by.

Hey I found the scene!

isparabola

pumbaa57 wrote:Also... y'all take this too seriously. Get a second hobby to supplement this one.

He probably does.

IamIreland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IamIreland
Schmoofy wrote:What are the odds that a helmet could land picture-perfectly on the ocean floor?

1 in 14

AdderXYU

pumbaa57 wrote:Here's the issue with that: you know that old adage in politics that a campaign contribution is worth a lot more than the amount of the donation - it also represents someone investing themselves in the candidate, and therefore the donor is much more likely to vote for the person to whom they donated because of it (as you can tell, I was neither a poli sci nor an english major). Anyways, the point is, maybe that's part of the derby.

And I'm sure y'all will say that "Well, I vote and I don't buy half the stuff I vote for." But some people, me included, really withhold their votes until they see something they really would purchase, and when those shirts come up for sale, buy them without Bobo-style. I don't have a good reason to stay up until midnight, except that I am hoping for one of "my" shirts (ahem*cough*callme,ishmael*cough).

Them's my two cents. Although they're probably worth even less than that.

I don't buy half the stuff I vote for.

Indeed, I don't buy really ANY of the stuff I vote for, because the shirts I want have no chance against the generic woot schlock.

But the issue is that many people actually DO want what they vote for. There are plenty of spite votes and politic votes and other ignorant votes, but the fact is I never vote for a shirt I wouldn't wear, and many people do the same.

The issue comes down to, BAD SHIRTS WIN. For whatever reason. If those votes are given by people who don't want the shirt, or if they are given by people who will buy it immediately, it is still a bad shirt and it still won. And that is the issue. Woot has hundreds of entries every week. there is no reason the worst should be winning.

adamsw216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages adamsw216
AdderXYU wrote:They would still be making money.

They would also sleep better at night while doing it. Which is probably worth the profit-cut involved in printing fewer soulless "I DESIGN TO MAKE MONEY AND HAVE NO PASSION FOR ART" shirts.

I think the fact that these changes aren't happening and probably won't happen in the near future kinda shows that they are already probably sleeping comfortably.

emzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emzine

Man, the shirts on here seem to be getting just weirder and weirder.

AdderXYU

adamsw216 wrote:I think the fact that these changes aren't happening and probably won't happen in the near future kinda shows that they are already probably sleeping comfortably.

Never underestimate the power of money to convince one they are not unhappy.

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

My wife and I are certified divers, and we are in for two of these. Although we will not be wearing them simultaneously. For those that don't "get it," take more science classes and don't take things so literally. Can't wait to get these in the mail!!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
emzine wrote:Man, the shirts on here seem to be getting just weirder and weirder.

Swap out "weirder" with "better" and you have my view. For the last week anyhow (if only because of the double-take derby and the EC's).

This week has been splendid so far. The only thing holding me back from this design, which I absolutely love, is a desire to stop spending so much money on these damn shirts that have been so great this week. It's been like peering into a alternate universe that shows Woot's true potential.

As for this design, as I said, just great. I can't believe I missed it before. It's creepy, yet kinda poignant at the same time. I really like the colors, personally, and I love how such a simple image can carry a lot of meaning.

xxchange

imsochady wrote:They did the filming during school hours. But since it was summer, there weren't many people around, just the summer school keeds. Since I didn't about the show or her, I just walked on by.

Hey I found the scene!

DANG, you have a nice school!

shakensparco

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shakensparco

I don't find it morbid or disturbing like some. I think it's rather mysterious.

stohje

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stohje

Thank you! I think the shirt. Woot staff took chem 1a with Sarah palin! Now just repeat the error 100 times and it will magically be true!

UnFlammable wrote:Shouldn't that be "one oxygen for every two hydrogens"?

Fish don't swim in Hydroperoxyl radicals, I don't think, I don't think.

Better stand back, I'm about to w00t!!!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

2 days of JW mania... I can hardly believe it! Congrats again, JW!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JadenKale wrote:2 days of JW mania... I can hardly believe it! Congrats again, JW!

Monday: Threadless and DBH.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

jkamel9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkamel9

ive never ordered from woot before, how are the quality of the shirts?

UnarmedBandit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UnarmedBandit

Oh, nice work selecting this one...I was devastated this one didn't win.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
AdderXYU wrote:yeah, this week is really hammering home how much BETTER the derby would be without that voting nonsense.

I think this deserves repeating.

This has been THE. BEST. WEEK. of prints in shirt.woot's history.

How much more proof do we need that sometimes (always?) voters don't pick quality?

Great Editor's Choices this week, woot! Can't we just keep this going since you're doing such a good job??

monkeypye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeypye

not sure this will "flatter" my "spare tire" since most the art is in the mid section.

I love scuba diving and totally get this shirt, but my lack of exercise and the placement of the art doesn't work here

I would love to see this in another media then a t-shirt.

Awesome design! Just focuses too much in my "DON'T LOOK HERE!" region.

I am sorry

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Jestik wrote:I think this deserves repeating.

This has been THE. BEST. WEEK. of prints in shirt.woot's history.

How much more proof do we need that sometimes (always?) voters don't pick quality?

Great Editor's Choices this week, woot! Can't we just keep this going since you're doing such a good job??

not a chance. wait until tomorrow it'll all be over, and they will have missed a chance to research before they print. and we'll get a brocolli shirt next week I'm sure of it. o h wait!! they did that bag thing didn't they. hmmmm.

darquis2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darquis2

I guess I must be one of the folks with "bad taste" - cuz this week (outside the actual double take winners) has had maybe two shirts I considered buying (and I got neither). No offense to anyone, they just weren't my thing.

I'll have to go digging to see which ones I want - crossing my fingers for all the shirts up to Architecture being editor's choice though

(bizarre side note - that Resist shirt from the one line derby - did that ever get printed anywhere?)

darquis2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darquis2

Ok, and for the sake of it since I was being critical, here are a few that I wish would get printed/had been printed (cuz who knows how long this EC will run)

Best Worn With Goggles
Cloudmaker
Disintegration
Calling John Henry (maybe)
Stellar Effect
Mysterious Fathoms Below
Henna Hands (maybe - but I love Escher...)
Acherontia Lachesis IIIX

And don't get me wrong, Call Me, Ishmael is brilliant in both execution and concept, but is not a shirt I'd wear (and thus, buy).

thejakeyl88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages thejakeyl88

I'm surprised, in this day and age that he hasn't come back from the dead yet to get his royalties!

If I don't see you no more in this world, I betcha on the next one you'll know me! Don't be late!