eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
HalfWheat wrote:I am one of the unwashed masses that should not be voting, if Adder had his way. I am nearly clueless about art when it concerns painting, drawing, or similar graphic arts. I do, however, make decent money from another art form, and I like to support artists in other fields. Buying a tee shirt now and then seems a good way.

Although I don't know the nuances in graphic arts, I know what I like. Part of that, when it comes to tee shirts, is wearability. Will the shirt look good on me? Do I like the colors? Do I like the idea behind it? Yeah, sometimes I fall for the "ooooh pretty..." but I also try to pay attention to the work involved. Was this hand-drawn or is it a bunch of clip art tossed together? Sometimes I can tell if something was difficult to do, but I can be fooled. I couldn't draw a stick figure if you gave me the stick.

I had no clue why people were so rapturous about Air. That could have come and gone and I wouldn't have cared. But the more people talked about it and described what they liked, the more I understood. Eventually, I bought it, and I'm glad I did.

Clueless people like me are going to be here, voting. I, for one, don't mind a little direction. Tell me why something has artistic merit, and I'll look a little closer. As far as getting rid of the "bad" art as Adder hopes, it seems to me that saying rude things about the art you don't like just draws more attention to it. And it might get sympathy votes.

Constructive criticism is one thing. And calling out the ones that use someone else's photos or otherwise break Woot rules is great. But the kneejerk reaction to rude comment about how something is awful is to comfort the artist by finding reasons why it's not awful. On the other hand, explaining why something is good might help us clueless voters see the merit in the things we might not otherwise understand.

Yeah, some people like junk, no matter what. And they'll vote for it here, and it will win sometimes. But there's a solution to that, if Woot really wants to change things. Run this place like a juried art show instead of an arts and crafts flea market. Let someone (Woot? A panel of artists?) decide whether to allow specific pieces in or not. That way, we clueless voters wouldn't be able to vote for the stolen photographs of green vegetables or other bits of trash that are getting in the way of the more worthy works.

Unless Woot changes the process though, I'll be voting. Cluelessly or not.

I like you.

But it should be noted that people didn't vote for Yay Broccoli. It was a blunder on Woot's part, especially in that they allowed the sales to continue.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
ChefRAZ wrote:really with that button in your sig I would have felt differently. did you read what you typed? on a different note if your looking for an agenda heres one.http://tiny.cc/wHOdQ

I just thought that button was funny. And I'm not target Adder as an artist. I have no clue what his designs are like or if he even submits.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:I like you.

But it should be noted that people didn't vote for Yay Broccoli. It was a blunder on Woot's part, especially in that they allowed the sales to continue.

It's also worth noting that "the unwashed masses" are not necessarily wrong just for not being artists. I'm no artist. I just have a decent eye.

The point is that, simply put, woot's selections this week have been better on the whole than ANY derby I can remember. And none of these shirts would exist if voters were the only rubric.

The fact is, though, that in a week where tgentry owned half the fog, I'd have given anything to have seen Turbulent Flow (from air) be the one that won, not Some BBQ. It didn't even get an HM. Which stands to illustrate that there are more good shirts that will never print per derby than there are good shirts that will print. Woot can, and should, have their finger deeper in that pie.

And HalfWheat actually illustrates why this should be perfectly. Many wooters don't bother looking deeper. They see the hotness and the fog and that is how they vote. But if something goes up for sale, it gives people 24 hours to seriously consider it. And it makes people start understanding why something is great. They get to see what people like about something, and think "hey, yeah, that's for me!" There's a large difference between Half and the "Great Uncleansed." He is obviously able to be educated. Which makes me think he's not half so unwashed as he seems to think. I know there are shirts I regret not biting on at the time (Sun Wukong, Killer Bees, etc) that have grown on me over time. Much more so with Threadless... some of my favorite tees there were ones I bought mainly for being $5 during a sale, but became some of my favorites once I saw them on me. To me, that has more realtime value than a million of their Communist Party shirts, or a million of woot's Nevermores. The sort of shirt that grows on you until you fall completely in love. That will never be said of the people woot needs to implement a different vote method to hold at bay.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
HalfWheat wrote:I am one of the unwashed masses that should not be voting, if Adder had his way. I am nearly clueless about art when it concerns painting, drawing, or similar graphic arts. I do, however, make decent money from another art form, and I like to support artists in other fields. Buying a tee shirt now and then seems a good way.

Although I don't know the nuances in graphic arts, I know what I like. Part of that, when it comes to tee shirts, is wearability. Will the shirt look good on me? Do I like the colors? Do I like the idea behind it? Yeah, sometimes I fall for the "ooooh pretty..." but I also try to pay attention to the work involved. Was this hand-drawn or is it a bunch of clip art tossed together? Sometimes I can tell if something was difficult to do, but I can be fooled. I couldn't draw a stick figure if you gave me the stick.

I had no clue why people were so rapturous about Air. That could have come and gone and I wouldn't have cared. But the more people talked about it and described what they liked, the more I understood. Eventually, I bought it, and I'm glad I did.

Clueless people like me are going to be here, voting. I, for one, don't mind a little direction. Tell me why something has artistic merit, and I'll look a little closer. As far as getting rid of the "bad" art as Adder hopes, it seems to me that saying rude things about the art you don't like just draws more attention to it. And it might get sympathy votes.

Constructive criticism is one thing. And calling out the ones that use someone else's photos or otherwise break Woot rules is great. But the kneejerk reaction to rude comment about how something is awful is to comfort the artist by finding reasons why it's not awful. On the other hand, explaining why something is good might help us clueless voters see the merit in the things we might not otherwise understand.

Yeah, some people like junk, no matter what. And they'll vote for it here, and it will win sometimes. But there's a solution to that, if Woot really wants to change things. Run this place like a juried art show instead of an arts and crafts flea market. Let someone (Woot? A panel of artists?) decide whether to allow specific pieces in or not. That way, we clueless voters wouldn't be able to vote for the stolen photographs of green vegetables or other bits of trash that are getting in the way of the more worthy works.

Unless Woot changes the process though, I'll be voting. Cluelessly or not.

This is a splendid post. I want to wear it. GMV.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Hey, what's with all this chatter? You're supposed to be talking about me. Me Me Me!

Kidding, of course. I just wanted to say that even tho I'm obviously biased, I'm glad woot did a few extra editor's choice picks this time around. There are always a pile of good designs that don't make it, but this time at least there were a few less than usual. So good job.

And thanks for including my design in those, for the first time. There's a place in my heart for you as well, all you cuties, you. Oh, and that stuff about the ocean. Nice. "Watery murder" - that's rad.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jewelwing wrote:Hey, what's with all this chatter? You're supposed to be talking about me. Me Me Me!

I hear that Jewelwing is actually wonder woman.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
eHalcyon wrote:I like you.

I like you too ;)

HalfWheat

AdderXYU wrote:It's also worth noting that "the unwashed masses" are not necessarily wrong just for not being artists. I'm no artist. I just have a decent eye.

I have a decent eye for what I like, but when it comes to judging art, I need to have things pointed out to me. It's like watching the Olympics every four years and being facinated by sports I know nothing about. I can say "oh yeah, that was amazing," but until they do the slow-mo, I don't see what the judges see. At least art stands still.

I'm not saying I'm completely clueless about what I like, but I don't alway know why I like one version better. Yes, I'm willing to learn, but I'm also willing to buy a tee shirt if the joke happens to hit home in the right way.

Oh, and I'm a "she."

Which is why other things come into consideration when I buy clothes. It's not just that the design looks good, I want the shirt to look good on me. I see all sorts of things that I like to look at that I wouldn't want to wear.

When I'm looking at shirts here, I'm pretty certain that one thing I don't want to wear is a shirt that someone's going to buy for their little kids. Last thing I want is to be walking down the street and see some toddler wearing the same shirt I am. Unless, of course, the parents have a twisted sense of humor.

HalfWheat

jewelwing wrote:Hey, what's with all this chatter? You're supposed to be talking about me. Me Me Me!

Kidding, of course. I just wanted to say that even tho I'm obviously biased, I'm glad woot did a few extra editor's choice picks this time around. There are always a pile of good designs that don't make it, but this time at least there were a few less than usual. So good job.

And thanks for including my design in those, for the first time. There's a place in my heart for you as well, all you cuties, you. Oh, and that stuff about the ocean. Nice. "Watery murder" - that's rad.

Heh. You are the rockstar today! It is all about you. And it's not tomorrow here yet.

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
pumbaa57 wrote:Dear Woot Gods,

I know I don't pray to you often enough. And I haven't confessed my sins in a long damn time. And sometimes I covet my neighbor's stuff. And his wife.

But tonight I have a very, very special prayer for you. I pray that tomorrow you will sell me an asphalt colored t-shirt with a whale and a telephone and a nice flower-patterned chair on it. If you do, I promise I will life my life in accord with your wishes. Whatever those may be.

In your name I pray.

Amen.

oh, i sooo agree! i WANT that shirt soooooooooo bad! love, love, love! i hope woot could as enamored as we, please!

kira89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kira89
AdderXYU wrote:I will state again, since I don't think I've ever heard anyone disagree: Top Vote Getter, Woot's fog favorite (even better if the fog expands), and one EC from anywhere in the derby.

Combined with regular do-overs, it would increase woot quality EXPONENTIALLY

This would be great. And I've always thought the fog should be the top six or so, those seem to be the ones that switch around the most throughout the derby. I'd say we should have a vote to switch to this process, but we all know where user voting gets us...

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

I ordered this shirt 2 weeks ago and I live in AUstin TX... shouldn't it be here by now?

FireBallBryan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FireBallBryan
KIDA26 wrote:I ordered this shirt 2 weeks ago and I live in AUstin TX... shouldn't it be here by now?

I didn't get my shirt yet, either. I ordered 2 different shirts a few days after this one and they arrived today. Where is this shirt?

dreydin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreydin

SAME! I'm in Texas and nothing even comes up under the tracking ID still

laurafoy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages laurafoy
dreydin wrote:SAME! I'm in Austin, TX and nothing even comes up under the tracking ID still

I live in Canada and mine just arrived today. You should definitely have had yours by now if you ordered it on the day it came up on the main page.

dreydin

i just got a reply from Woot Member Services for those who have not tried to get in contact with them yet...

We apologize for the delay in your shipment. Currently your order is on hold until the reprints for the design are completed tomorrow. As soon as the prints are complete, your order will be shipped and the tracking will be updated within 24 to 48 hours.
Rae

so we just gadda sit tight a little longer

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
dreydin wrote:i just got a reply from Woot Member Services for those who have not tried to get in contact with them yet...

We apologize for the delay in your shipment. Currently your order is on hold until the reprints for the design are completed tomorrow. As soon as the prints are complete, your order will be shipped and the tracking will be updated within 24 to 48 hours.
Rae

so we just gadda sit tight a little longer

Thanks for the info! I really wanted to have this shirt before this weekend. Hopefully it's a rush delivery!

FireBallBryan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FireBallBryan
KIDA26 wrote:Thanks for the info! I really wanted to have this shirt before this weekend. Hopefully it's a rush delivery!

Woot should upgrade our shipping for having to wait so long.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
laurafoy wrote:I live in Canada and mine just arrived today. You should definitely have had yours by now if you ordered it on the day it came up on the main page.

WHAAAAAT. You got yours in 2 weeks? Where in Canada do you live? I'm in Alberta and it takes at least 4 weeks for shirts to get to me.

What's the deal, Woot?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

anarekist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anarekist

baaaah, so that's what happened, hope i get it soon.

dreydin

not sure, but my tracking order still pulls up nothing...... this is crazy lol

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

dreydin wrote:not sure, but my tracking order still pulls up nothing...... this is crazy lol

Whoops! Looks like the shirt in ML had to go back for reprinting, which is common with some second chance shirt orders. Keep watching your tracking, it should show movement when we are able to send it out.

redcharlie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redcharlie

Every time I look at this design, I like it more. For those who have seen Ponyo, it's like the last helmet Fujimoto ever wore.