kvirag1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvirag1

I rep the 313 so I feel I am morally obligated to buy this. In for one! :]

Falcon52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Falcon52

what is this shirts appeal?

kippyj

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kippyj

Go, Chris Ware! Way to get w00t on board with donating something other than Roombas...826 Michigan is a rare opportunity to give something important back. Unfortunately, I just lined w00t's pockets over at kidw00t. Now, I'm broke. Still, Ann Arbor is an hour from my house, and it's a good charity, well run, and much needed around here.

"I love your red hair. It's not very common and YOU are FAR from common." Tom Harris

wringz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wringz

JFC why is everybody bagging on Chris Ware? HE'S MOTHER EFFIN CHRIS WARE! and it's for charity! Anybody who hasn't been touched by his comics does not have a soul. oh wooters you disappoint me.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
wringz wrote:JFC why is everybody bagging on Chris Ware? HE'S MOTHER EFFIN CHRIS WARE! and it's for charity! Anybody who hasn't been touched by his comics does not have a soul. oh wooters you disappoint me.

To have been touched by his comics, you would have to have seen his comics. Not everyone is into comics.

As far as buying this shirt for charity, yeah, it's a nice gesture if you want the shirt anyway, but if the point is to give to charity, a $5 donation to the charity would be better than the smaller amount that comes from the sale of the shirt.

Of course, there are plenty of charities. Do you give to all of them? Should I give you grief for not donating to my favorite cause?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
HalfWheat wrote:To have been touched by his comics, you would have to have seen his comics. Not everyone is into comics.

As far as buying this shirt for charity, yeah, it's a nice gesture if you want the shirt anyway, but if the point is to give to charity, a $5 donation to the charity would be better than the smaller amount that comes from the sale of the shirt.

Of course, there are plenty of charities. Do you give to all of them? Should I give you grief for not donating to my favorite cause?

To put it a different way, if Neil Gaiman designed a woot shirt with stick figures pooping, I would hope no Gaiman fans would buy it just for being Gaiman.

I don't like the shirt, and for all the hype Mr. Ware has gotten, I'd expect far better from him. I imagine that even for many people who ARE Chris Ware fans, it came down to "why would I wear this as a shirt?". Buying this shirt the first day contributed less than a dollar to charity (since the $1K prize is paid upfront regardless of sales), and buying it the next day donates a whole $2 out of $15. If anyone bought the shirt out of charity instead of wanting the shirt, they could have saved $10 by donating a $5er, and still given twice as much.

satzcasio

quality posts: 2 Private Messages satzcasio

Chris Ware and his comics, e.g. Jimmy Corrigan, are great! Check 'em out next time you're at a comic book store.

Gladeye

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Gladeye

Chris Ware's work is usually fantastic and highly recommended, but this shirt is kind of ho-hum in comparison to most of his other stuff. Buy his books!

otterfluff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages otterfluff

Nice! I actually have a couple 826michigan robot shirts that I bought from their storefront in Ann Arbor last year. Neat place.

mysticbrightshadow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysticbrightshadow

Just have to say, its not a robot... its an automaton.

bellzogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bellzogs
yankeebird wrote:Can someone explain the ghost leg to me?

The ghost leg is a zoom in of the robot's leg, showing in more detail how it works, see the nose thing bubble.

kotochan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kotochan

I feel like this got voted in because of the artist's famous name, and then the added kick of the organization. Which I think is great, but kinda decreases my respect for shirt.woot. Alot. I have nothing against kids or education, or any of that, I just feel a little uncomfortable about little stuff like the artist's name in the title, the bad design, the kinda sad writeup, and the fact that the main selling point was the fact that Chris Whatshisface made it, and that the money was to go to charity. I don't know. I think it's a great thing to do for the community, but if you look at the comments, most of the people who bought it said they bought it because they liked OTHER work by him, or because they wanted to support the cause.

Blair0305

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blair0305

I have a hot new boyfriend that loves robots. He is an excellent artist also. I recently saw a man wearing the lovely "Onward Robots" t-shirt. He was kind enough to tell me about woot and Chris Ware, as well as the 626michigan program. I know my boyfriend is an excellent example of what a man should look like, and therefore he would display the shirt in a most favorable manner. Please consider selling me one of these shirts as a gift for him. I hope the proceeds are still for the benefit of upcoming writers. We would be happy to help out all of the creative children!! As I mentioned before, he is a rather good looking and imaginative being, and therefore might inspire others to support your cause as well. Thank you most kindly.

Sincerely,

Blair Farmer
Ilovemoomoo2@aol.com

Blair0305

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blair0305

p.s. typo above i meant 826.