Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
LightSpiral wrote:Still loving this but I've got to agree with the sentiment of the comments here -- Love the little running guy and wish he was on the shirt too!

I had made several of the little construction men to make it look like they were building the logo, but it made the design to busy in my opinion. Re-subbing with one or more of them in the design would most likely be a wash anyhow, as I don't think this one is going to make it up there regardless.

Thanks for the support and interest just the same though.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: Shirt

The text says "shirt", and the dragon.. well that's a dragon.

Gratzy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gratzy
kylemittskus wrote:I don't see how this fits the theme "Japan." It's a spork with Japanese writing, but it doesn't fit a cultural, historical, or stereotypical reference.

You need to think of modern Japan. Most entries out there reference a Japan of yesteryear.

Today, Japan is filled with ... eccentricities, to put it politely.

What is more eccentric than a spork?

ScoobyShooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScoobyShooter
AdderXYU wrote:So you believe that inferior work deserves to print, and that we have no right to desire something better. Just making sure I'm reading you correctly. Because if the majority can't be concerned enough to care what happens here, I suppose we should all be willing to suck it up even if we know something better could evolve. Why desire quality when we can have the status quo?

Design is subjective, and if the majority of people like Ramyb's, or anyone else's work, then who are you (or me for that matter) to say it is inferior. People do care what happens here, otherwise they wouldn't vote. The fact is Woot has to turn a profit, and they have found their niche to do so by letting the majority rule. This means that many shirts that print are not worth spending my money on. But when there is one, I snatch it up and am happy for the opportunity to do so. You should do the same, or, if it bothers you that much, try and turn a profit with your own website.

BTW if you do, let me know, I'm sure I would be interested a few of your picks.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Japanese Fighting Fish

Very well done. Good concept for this one.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
truffleshuffle wrote:This is based on Yuki-Onna, a figure in Japanese folklore. She is said to be the ghost of a girl who perished in a snowy mountain pass. She appears to travelers as a tall, beautiful woman with long dark hair and pale skin, and she torments these travelers by leading them astray or freezing them to death with her icy breath. Despite her ephemeral beauty, her eyes strike fear into the hearts of mortals (so I covered them with her hair). The girl represents her outward beauty, while the dragon represents the cruel power within.

The Kanji now say "The Eternally Beautiful Woman" down the left and "Yuki-onna" down the right. Thanks to Mikan for all the help!! Hopefully everything is right now, ha ha.

Awesome explanation. Cool dragon.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
bgbannis wrote:I love it! So simple and elegant.

Agreed, very nice.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
Beefmoe64 wrote:The Kanji is samurai (above) and fish (below). We hope that you enjoy it.

Looks like a house (above) and a cart (below). We do enjoy it.

Hope to be wearing this soon.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

jasneko

Re: Poka Poka Onsen

Cute

Edit: Ok earlier I was looking around in a hurry and didn't read your post - didn't realize they are Japanese Macaques (thought they were just some kind of yeti creatures)... but now that I know, I like the design even more! I remember reading about the macaques and seeing photos like the one you posted - so cool!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ScoobyShooter wrote:Design is subjective, and if the majority of people like Ramyb's, or anyone else's work, then who are you (or me for that matter) to say it is inferior. People do care what happens here, otherwise they wouldn't vote. The fact is Woot has to turn a profit, and they have found their niche to do so by letting the majority rule. This means that many shirts that print are not worth spending my money on. But when there is one, I snatch it up and am happy for the opportunity to do so. You should do the same, or, if it bothers you that much, try and turn a profit with your own website.

BTW if you do, let me know, I'm sure I would be interested a few of your picks.

Some design is not subjective, though. There comes a point where it is no longer OK to coddle people and we need to say "guys, your taste is horrible by all human standards" and take away their vote buttons.

sei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sei
Re: I am Ninja...

Simple and cute, that's what I like to see on a t-shirt...

chinesesnail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinesesnail

Why is the salmon having a nightmare about shrimp and octopus sushi?

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Re: Japanese Fighting Fish

truffleshuffle wrote:I really wanna see that movie too!!! I love love love Miyazaki. Howl's Moving Castle is definitely my favoritest.

Also, is there such a thing as Japanese fighting fish? I've only heard of Betta(Siamese fighting fish). I dunno if that would make me like the shirt any less, but just wondering.

Ponyo was awesome, and a completely different look from miyazaki's other films. much of the animation looked like it was drawn in crayon. beautiful, beautiful stuff, but very different from howl's moving castle or princess mononoke. And the story was aimed at a much younger crowd.

I dislike the creme, but otherwise love this entry to death. Best design this week, it's creative, imaginative, artistic, and unique. Well done guys!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

stargirl6878

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargirl6878
sei wrote:Simple and cute, that's what I like to see on a t-shirt...

thanks for the comment...glad to see SOMEONE likes it...

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
Gratzy wrote:You need to think of modern Japan. Most entries out there reference a Japan of yesteryear.

Today, Japan is filled with ... eccentricities, to put it politely.

What is more eccentric than a spork?

If it wasn't for the Japanese text, though, I doubt anyone would look at it and think of Japan.

Obviously, it's Woot's call whether this fits the theme, but in my mind if it needs the text to be on theme, then it's a pretty long stretch.

loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey

Geez how is this shirt not in the fog anymore. This is so much better than the two very cliche samurai designs in the fog that you could probably pick up in any anime store. I told myself I wasn't gonna buy anymore woot shirts for awhile, but if this one prints, then i'm gonna have to change that. Great job on this design.

sefjwm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
databit wrote:Translation: I love Lantern

Err that's not what it says. Last character has incorrect stroke too.

tenieldjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenieldjo
AdderXYU wrote:Some design is not subjective, though. There comes a point where it is no longer OK to coddle people and we need to say "guys, your taste is horrible by all human standards" and take away their vote buttons.

No, I'm going to go ahead and say that art is entirely subjective. I can respect that you want to hold a higher standard for art from the standpoint of skill, and even agree at times, but your latest discussions have been a little preachy; I don't know that you could hold even yourself to the standards you are trying to set for the community. Everyone has bias, and everyone has different tastes. I personally don't like this color scheme, and the design is nice but generic. But your point doesn't seem to be that this design is poorly made, but that by voting for even a well-made or conceived design from this artist, you are voting for immorality after a sense. This is a t-shirt site; people vote for what they want to wear. Ethics should have a place in any business, but it's hardly on scale with buying shoes made in sweatshops or dogs bread in puppy mills, it's buying a shirt from someone who creates designs that pander to the crowd. This is what commercial art is, essentially, and while it may be ethically questionable and there may be better art than this in your opinion, it makes sense.

And even though you may not agree with the majority of the community on what constitutes "good art" or even what constitutes "art," you are not the end-all-be-all shirt art critic. Design, aesthetic, is and has always been entirely subjective. There are purple and orange websites out there because someone genuinely liked that. I may think it's horrible and a blight on the internet, but it's still a design and there are people out there who will look at it and, if they can still see after the shock to their corneas, enjoy it. They aren't wrong for enjoying it, obviously, because you can't tell someone what they do and do not like. It's something they decide for themselves.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
HalfWheat wrote:If it wasn't for the Japanese text, though, I doubt anyone would look at it and think of Japan.

Obviously, it's Woot's call whether this fits the theme, but in my mind if it needs the text to be on theme, then it's a pretty long stretch.

This was my point. The text is the only Japanese thing. And chopsticks actually came from China originally. So I contest that the only thing about this shirt that is Japanese is the text. Even the chopsticks reference is "Asian," "oriental," or "eastern."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sefjwm

superspryte wrote:Kanji verification: 侍海龍

侍: samurai
海: ocean
龍: Chinese-type dragon

侍海龍: No meaning. There is no known compound 海龍. Supposing that is ignored, to say "samurai and ocean dragon" it would need to say 侍と海龍.

Not to mention the character for sea looks horrible. Whatever font you chose uses an ugly shorthand way of representing it.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
kylemittskus wrote:This was my point. The text is the only Japanese thing. And chopsticks actually came from China originally. So I contest that the only thing about this shirt that is Japanese is the text. Even the chopsticks reference is "Asian," "oriental," or "eastern."

It'll be interesting to see what Woot does with these sorts of entries. A great many of them, if you took the text away they would still have a Japanese feel. But some really need the text and those might be at risk for rejection if Woot takes a hard line on the theme.

sefjwm

superspryte wrote:Kanji verfication: 侍魚

侍: samurai
魚: fish

侍魚: No meaning but a logical compound. Plausible.

Would have been better had the Kanji been drawn properly.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Rice Ninja

Awesome!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

lonelypond

quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Big bite!

funny...worth the second look people will give it.

Caseyzilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Caseyzilla
Re: Protect Your Honor

Looks incredible. Great job!

JCPenelope87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCPenelope87
SydsKid wrote:Yes! Very nice design...and what DOES it say??

I believe it says "beginning of spring".

imsochady

quality posts: 24 Private Messages imsochady
truffleshuffle wrote:I really wanna see that movie too!!! I love love love Miyazaki. Howl's Moving Castle is definitely my favoritest.

Hah! I just saw that movie last night! And Spirited Away the night before! Plus I also bought that movie book for Spirited the day after with them sketches, movie stills, and script from the movie! And now I'm about to watch Kiki's Delivery Service! Hahaha...

scubaaron

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scubaaron

+1

love the shading, and the expressions.

so does the tentacle the chef is grabbing belong to another octopus? Is it an assassin octo coming to seek revenge?

would wear this shirt scuba diving. or eating sushi, yum, :-)

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
tenieldjo wrote:No, I'm going to go ahead and say that art is entirely subjective. I can respect that you want to hold a higher standard for art from the standpoint of skill, and even agree at times, but your latest discussions have been a little preachy; I don't know that you could hold even yourself to the standards you are trying to set for the community. Everyone has bias, and everyone has different tastes. I personally don't like this color scheme, and the design is nice but generic. But your point doesn't seem to be that this design is poorly made, but that by voting for even a well-made or conceived design from this artist, you are voting for immorality after a sense. This is a t-shirt site; people vote for what they want to wear. Ethics should have a place in any business, but it's hardly on scale with buying shoes made in sweatshops or dogs bread in puppy mills, it's buying a shirt from someone who creates designs that pander to the crowd. This is what commercial art is, essentially, and while it may be ethically questionable and there may be better art than this in your opinion, it makes sense.

And even though you may not agree with the majority of the community on what constitutes "good art" or even what constitutes "art," you are not the end-all-be-all shirt art critic. Design, aesthetic, is and has always been entirely subjective. There are purple and orange websites out there because someone genuinely liked that. I may think it's horrible and a blight on the internet, but it's still a design and there are people out there who will look at it and, if they can still see after the shock to their corneas, enjoy it. They aren't wrong for enjoying it, obviously, because you can't tell someone what they do and do not like. It's something they decide for themselves.

Three words:

Yes they are.

It is GREAT to be diverse and like many things, but this sort of drivel is the majority of what wins derbies. And that is INCREDIBLY wrong. it is not inherently bad if woot chose something like this once in a while (though I feel that this particular user wouldn't be a respectable choice to print, given all his sketchy dealings in the past and present), but when you're guaranteed something like this EVERY WEEK that he or his girlfriend enter, it becomes a HUGE problem. And there should be something VERY wrong with that sort of stagnancy. And there is something even worse about defending it. If it can be better, why not?

You can preach business all you want, but if "business" worked, everyone who ever took a course would be fronting a successful one. There is more to business than sales. And I think that woot is hurting itself more than helping the way they conduct that part of their affairs.

jezzarisky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jezzarisky
JesseBYAH wrote:

P.S. No offense to the spork guys or anything. I just really want this one

This is the same for me as well.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
--Mahatma Gandhi

jasneko

Re: For Honor and Glory

This is really great. There's something about it that feels unique, in a really fantastic way.

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64

I'm just going to pop in and give my two cents... I see both sides of this debate and there are points I agree with for each. I think that what it boils down to is that voters don't buy the scaffolding they vote for! If you have watched the reckoning at all EVER, you would notice that the shirts voted in often get the boot asap. They simply don't sell enough. I have had one shirt print, not because of voters, but by editors choice. It survived the reckoning three weeks at the bottom, meaning the shirts voted in didn't sell well enough to boot mine. To me that says that people vote for junk they don't plan on buying. I kinda wish that woot would take $10 hostage for each vote, and if the shirt someone voted for prints -BOOM- they have one. It would cut out the random junk voting and leave shirts people really do want to pay for. But I can't figure out woot anyway. I've been here for over a year with an EC and no wins.

jasneko

xtinaftw wrote:I missed most of the pre-derby thread due to being out of town, but I did watch the development of this one closely, and I LOVE the way it turned out! I only wish I'd had the time to suggest sooner the shirt title of "Fan of Japan"! Cus, like, it's a fan, right? But anyone wearing the shirt would be the Fan also.

Thanks xtina! Ah, that would have been a great name, that's too bad you weren't around! Glad you love the way it turned out though!

AuntBonnie wrote:very unique - great creative work...

Thank you AuntBonnie!

SydsKid wrote:But, you CAN'T vote!! You haven't purchased anything!

Hmmm puzzling! Well, I still appreciate the intended vote;)

Atsu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Atsu
Re: Dirty

Yeah, copyright issues from Studio Ghibli (as someone already stated) may get this rejected.

Neat idea, though.

Aconstruct64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aconstruct64
Re: Samurai Sun

The symbol means samurai

mamaGiraffe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamaGiraffe
mopsie2002 wrote:Wish it wasn't a white shirt, but other than that really like it! Definitely wearable, and got my vote.

Agree about the white shirt....but the design is awesome! I wonder what it would look like on the light blue.

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
stargirl6878 wrote:nice detail with the bow in the tiger's hair...lol

Thanks!

I would love comments from anybody else... Next best thing to votes... which I would also love.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

jasneko

truffleshuffle wrote:tehe, what a cute man-eating monster.

So cute... how can we be mad about the people-eating when so cute?;)

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
AdderXYU wrote:but at its heart, this isn't an east-meets-west shirt. It is a LOL PIRATE AND NINJA WHY ISNT THERE A ZOMBIE TOO shirt.

Plus it's not an east-meets-west derby.

If they had that as a derby this shirt would be fine.

If they have an east-meets-west-meets-undead then he could throw a zombie in there too.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

Insondavel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Insondavel

What is this scaffolding?

I see no Japanese reference in this. Sporks are in no way Japanese and just adding Japanese characters to the shirt should not constitute it being allowed to be here.

I'm so disappointed, this derby actually has potential and this is in the fog.